Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Where is Carrie Crowley, herself from the Morbegs?

Probably back in Waterford helping a former theatre director pal walk on one leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭George White

Shocked to see that the Sunday Indo last week are trying to revive Gayle Killilea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Shocked to see that the Sunday Indo last week are trying to revive Gayle Killilea.

Check who wrote it-was it Barry Egan?

He's the usual plonker they bring in to 'revived' someone's career.

He did the same a while back involving the daughter of some scrupulous businessman, marketing her as 'single', and 'hurry up boys, now's your chance'.
    Of course, it was Egan, advertising her the same way you'd advertise a prize horse.

Including photoshopping her waist to make her look slimmer.

Left out the bit where her dad had done some dodgy dealings, and was being pursued by the revenue commissioners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

That is truly a cow that is gone out to pasture!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

RTE news report Alisdair Jackson

• Advertisement

Colm Connolly, another RTE News presenter, and he presented the documentary on Michael Collins called the Shadow of Bealnablath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭robwen

Whatever became of the actress who played Shelly in fair city who had the affair with Harry Molloy

robwen wrote: »
    Whatever became of the actress who played Shelly in fair city who had the affair with Harry Molloy

She's a writer for the show now

branie2 wrote: »
    Colm Connolly, another RTE News presenter, and he presented the documentary on Michael Collins called the Shadow of Bealnablath

A lovely man by all accounts but he passed away from complications from Motor Neuron disease. He spent his final years in a wheel chair.

A lovely man by all accounts but he passed away from complications from Motor Neuron disease. He spent his final years in a wheel chair.

Correct me if i am wrong but was that not Colm Murray who passed away from Motor Neuron Disease

• Advertisement

Correct me if i am wrong but was that not Colm Murray who passed away from Motor Neuron Disease

Yes his final years broadcasting he was doing horse racing which he loved with a passion. He was an awful man for keeping a secret, he couldnt keep a secret when he had a decent tip by all accounts. What was the man supposed to do? He was a broadcaster!!

Yes his final years broadcasting he was doing horse racing which he loved with a passion. He was an awful man for keeping a secret, he couldnt keep a secret when he had a decent tip by all accounts. What was the man supposed to do? He was a broadcaster!!

Jaysus he loved the racing especially the Cheltenham festival.Looking at the documentary that time they were following him when he had MND he deteriorated rapidly from that disease

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

branie2 wrote: »

I've just found this odd website... Here's a recent (2014) photo of Colm Connolly. He's possibly still in Cyprus....

http://www.superannrte.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4196:reunited-in-cyprus-colm-and-derry&catid=8&Itemid=115

Colm Murray was a lovely man, RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Grainne Seoige, gone now for a few years now from her day time show, former newsreader, co presenter of Up for the Match and also Crimeline.

I had the Six O clock show on in the background last week, surprised to see Grainne co hosting with Martin King on Virgin Media 1 , she also co hosted a few times last year.

Last time we saw her on the screen was Living with Lucy, it looked like she had made a new life with South African Businessman Leon Jordan.

Hard to believe she lost all her gigs with the National Broadcaster, she worked with all 4 Irish channels, her brief stint in the UK didn't work out either.

She was high profile and a very good looking girl.

There was a time when some celebrities wouldn't be associated with any channel other than the national broadcaster, looks like she is still hankering for a return home if the she got some TV work here?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

banoffe2 wrote: »
    Grainne Seoige, gone now for a few years now from her day time show, former newreader, co presenter of Up for the Match and also Crimeline.

her briefs stint in the UK didn't work out.

Are there pics?

Grainne Seoige, gone now for a few years now from her day time show, former newsreader, co presenter of Up for the Match and also Crimeline.

I had the Six O clock show on in the background last week, surprised to see Grainne co hosting with Martin King on Virgin Media 1 , she also co hosted a few times last year.

Last time we saw her on the screen was Living with Lucy, it looked like she had made a new life with South African Businessman Leon Jordan.

Hard to believe she lost all her gigs with the National Broadcaster, she worked with all 4 Irish channels, her brief stint in the UK didn't work out either.

She was high profile and a very good looking girl.

There was a time when some celebrities wouldn't be associated with any channel other than the national broadcaster, looks like she is still hankering for a return home if the she got some TV work here?

Seoige hardly vanished, tho.

But she was INCREDIBLY expensive to hire.
    It costs a LOT of money to make her look like she does. And she wasn't a very nice person, by all accounts.
    (I've met a few of her colleagues from Virgin Media-they're genuinely the nicest people. Collette Fitzpatrick was very down to earth with people, for example.)

I don't know how good the Living with Lucy program was-I tend to avoid that show.

And when she turned up for 'Up for the Match', she often didn't know what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭George White

She always seemed quite cold in a way that could pass off optimistically as "enigmatic".
    While Colette Fitzpatrick has always emanated a kind of warmth.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Thanks George White and Rabble Rouser2K for the updates and comments.

I didn't think she was right for Up for the Match, Jacqui Hurley is the ideal fit for the role especially with her background in sports journalism.

I thought Nationwide would be the ideal role for Grainne when Mary Kennedy retired as she has the Gaeilge and plenty experience, Blaithnid got the job, possibly an internal promotion!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I wish I could say Barry Egan but he's like a bad smell that you can't get rid of.

She always seemed quite cold in a way that could pass off optimistically as "enigmatic".
    While Colette Fitzpatrick has always emanated a kind of warmth.

Oh yeah, looking back, her and Alan Cantwell could be quite... standoff-ish, tbh.
    I think TV3 were trying to be the 'anti-RTE'... and at times veered too close to a**hole. Not that RTE were much better, tbh. (Also note, RTE recruited much of the then TV3's presenters once they left the station, such as Grainne, Claire Byrne, Dmitri O'Donnell, to name a few. Many of these people absorb warmth into their cold, dead, veins...).

Collette, like I said, is the total opposite. She's genuinely warm and down to earth.
    Thanks George White and Rabble Rouser2K for the updates and comments.

I didn't think she was right for Up for the Match, Jacqui Hurley is the ideal fit for the role especially with her background in sports journalism.

I thought Nationwide would be the ideal role for Grainne when Mary Kennedy retired as she has the Gaeilge and plenty experience, Blaithnid got the job, possibly an internal promotion!

Mary Kennedy was someone I could never warm to. My mam and dad HATED her, and while some folks I would disagree with them on, Kennedy was one I agreed with.
    When Kennedy was on Up for the Match, she was so cack-handed at the job that they brought in a new presenter, Des Cahill. Who eventually took over the show. (Mary would often host the whole show As Gaeilige, without subtitles. For the majority of the audience sitting at home, who want to enjoy a show or discussion of the All-Ireland the next day, it was pretty ignorant and snobbish to go on discussions in another language, and then be like 'well, tough' if you can't understand it. )

I think Grainne was always seeing herself as a superstar, when she was literally a newsreader. Like, she went to Sky IReland (Now defunct) and that was heralded as this major coup for her (The Sky News was watched less than any other news station in IReland. It would even have trailed UTV IReland, if they had been around at the same time). I don't think she had the warmth for even Nationwide, I imagine she'd see it as beneath her. Not that Blathnaid has warmth either, we all know she's a genuinely nasty individual (the court case proved that).

• Advertisement

I wish I could say Barry Egan but he's like a bad smell that you can't get rid of.

Hold your peace, let COVID-19 do its work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Remember the RTE insider who was revealing secrets from Donnybrook? The big wigs were going mad trying to find out who it was.
    Who was it, was it ever revealed?

Why did the insider stop posting revelations?

Remember the RTE insider who was revealing secrets from Donnybrook? The big wigs were going mad trying to find out who it was.
    Who was it, was it ever revealed?

Why did the insider stop posting revelations?

There are various reasons for whistle blowers. You imagine they cannot stand the nepotism or corruption. It could equally well be they were passed over for promotion or recieved or relative recieved a snub. There could be many reasons to motivate a whistle blower.

One of two things happened with the whistle blower. They got their revenge and left it there. They retired with natural wastage (doubtful because they would still get the gossip from old work friends). Someone suspected who it was and fed them a deliberate lie and it was exposed. Then there would be a meeting where someone would have to either retire early on pension or retire from the strains of public life.

That would have sounded like Pat Kenny when they were trimming the fat in Donny brook last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Might have got the promotion, they craved.

Water John wrote: »
    Might have got the promotion, they craved.

We deal with whistle blowers in the most nasty way in this country but it is still possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hold your peace, let COVID-19 do its work.

Mod note - ah lads

There are various reasons for whistle blowers. You imagine they cannot stand the nepotism or corruption. It could equally well be they were passed over for promotion or recieved or relative recieved a snub. There could be many reasons to motivate a whistle blower.

One of two things happened with the whistle blower. They got their revenge and left it there. They retired with natural wastage (doubtful because they would still get the gossip from old work friends). Someone suspected who it was and fed them a deliberate lie and it was exposed. Then there would be a meeting where someone would have to either retire early on pension or retire from the strains of public life.

That would have sounded like Pat Kenny when they were trimming the fat in Donny brook last time.

Remember when people speculated that it was the RTE producer who's a convicted paedophile?
    The tweets stopped around the same time. Very odd.

Remember when people speculated that it was the RTE producer who's a convicted paedophile?
    The tweets stopped around the same time. Very odd.

I remember that he was caught out and out in the UK. I think in Ireland, it could have been brushed under the carpet as an "honest mistake".
    Maybe the real whistle blower used it as a way of slipping away and let everyone else assume it was the producer guy?

Not that Blathnaid has warmth either, we all know she's a genuinely nasty individual (the court case proved that).

So that is why Dave Mc Savage used to make a skit so often about her on the savage eye?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭BandMember

Seoige hardly vanished, tho.

But she was INCREDIBLY expensive to hire.
    It costs a LOT of money to make her look like she does. And she wasn't a very nice person, by all accounts.

That seems to be a common public perception alright, but having encountered her a few random times over the years have the opposite to be true. For example, one day I joined the top of a queue in a shop while she was ahead of me talking to one of the guys behind the till. She was buying a present for her son and was asking a few questions to make sure that it was the right one. She couldn't have been more polite and courteous if she tried. Same goes for any other time I bumped into her.

Not that Blathnaid has warmth either, we all know she's a genuinely nasty individual (the court case proved that).

What court case? :confused:

Advertisement