Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland 7s route to Rio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

This all seems a bit facile.

Looking at the first post, we'll have to play the likes of England possibly in the next tournament?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Looking at the first post, we'll have to play the likes of England possibly in the next tournament?

At the moment, no, England are 4th in the World Series so qualify by virtue of that. The Repechage would be anyone who hasn't qualified through that method, so if England finish 4th it'll be any European sides below them:

http://www.worldrugby.org/sevens-series/standings

EDIT: The series finished in London didnt it actually?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

So Scotland, France, Portugal seem like the next ranked teams. Are they any good, do we have any sort of chance of getting to the Olympics?

So Scotland, France, Portugal seem like the next ranked teams. Are they any good, do we have any sort of chance of getting to the Olympics?

They would all be better than us, Scotland have gotten better in recent years, Wales are capable of putting together very strong sides (they won the 7s world cup not so long ago) but we'll have to wait and find out really because we are a bit of a wilcard. I think it's generally accepted that our chances of qualifying are extremely slim, but it's still a pretty entertaining journey to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭ceegee

Scotland and wales arent up for qualification though are they? As GB qualified via England

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

They would all be better than us, Scotland have gotten better in recent years, Wales are capable of putting together very strong sides (they won the 7s world cup not so long ago) but we'll have to wait and find out really because we are a bit of a wilcard. I think it's generally accepted that our chances of qualifying are extremely slim, but it's still a pretty entertaining journey to follow.

I can see the movie now a young team recently formed battle their way to reach the Olympics against the odds. (the audience watching think the whole time "shouldn't they have had a team for years")

ceegee wrote: »
    Scotland and wales arent up for qualification though are they? As GB qualified via England

Of course! Forgot it's the Olypmics!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Here's a link to today's live stream:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk1O7GvG0uQ

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Melodeon wrote: »
    Here's a link to today's live stream:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk1O7GvG0uQ

Do you know when Ireland play? Bit difficult trying to figure it out.

NoelJ wrote: »

According to this page:
    http://www.rugbyeurope.eu/group-254.htm

...the Switzerland/Slovakia game currently playing is match no. 26, so I'm hoping Ireland/Slovenia (match no. 27) is next up.

I could be completely wrong though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

God I watched a bit of Switzerland V Slovakia and god the poor auld Slovakians were woeful, real desperate stuff out there. I hope in years to come the competition picks up a bit.

NoelJ wrote: »

1.56pm local time. IE 4 minutes.

Someone just posted in the YouTube feed that the Ireland/Slovenia match is at 1:56pm local time, which I think is in about 3 minutes time.

Edit: GAH! Too slow! :)

Perfect cheers. I enjoy following this. It was always a shame we never had any element of 7s.

Here we go...

That was a lovely finish, if we ignore the standard of tackling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Looks like another spanking...

4 trys in 6 minutes :eek:

Looks like another spanking...

Slovenia could easily over turn this hah

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Melodeon wrote: »
    4 trys in 6 minutes :eek:

5 in 7.

Its like watching a real game of Rugby 08 where one person knows how to contest the kickoffs and the other doesn't.

The kick ahead before the last try was really silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

That was interesting.

Slovenia would put a couple of good passes together then throw it to an Irish player to run all the way back and score.

Massive gulf.

I hope we don't look like that when we go up against France and Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

57-0.

Total aggregate score this weekend is 298-0 from 5 matches.

Should be Croatia in the final later on and they should be a little bit more competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Serbia v Croatia...
    nice try by Serbia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Update on the Ladies.

Beaten 34-0 by France in the quarter-finals.

Entered the plate competition and beat Ukraine 24-19 and will now face the Netherlands in the plate final.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Cant play England. Theyre qualified already
    At the moment, no, England are 4th in the World Series so qualify by virtue of that. The Repechage would be anyone who hasn't qualified through that method, so if England finish 4th it'll be any European sides below them:

http://www.worldrugby.org/sevens-series/standings

EDIT: The series finished in London didnt it actually?
    Series did finish in London. England, Fiji, New Zealand, South Africa qualified as are
    Theyre pretty good. Russia aren't bad either. We would then have to get past best of the world as well.
    God I watched a bit of Switzerland V Slovakia and god the poor auld Slovakians were woeful, real desperate stuff out there. I hope in years to come the competition picks up a bit.
    If we get through these stages we likely wont be competing against these countries and we could be in Division A/Grand Prix series.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

while quality not there- really enjoying this Croatia v Serbia match

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Greyian

Anyone know what time the final should be on at?

Greyian wrote: »
    Anyone know what time the final should be on at?

17.44 local time.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Greyian

11 seconds for Austria to score against Greece...

• Advertisement

The bowl final is on now, BG v BiH, it seems pretty early so maybe the Cup final will be earlier than they've said.

Advertisement