Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland 7s route to Rio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Our group is decided bar whether its Germany or Russia. That will be decided by how Germany do versus Spain. So Italy, Georgia with us and either one Ger/Rus....

The other groups will be Germany/Russia, Lithuania, Romania and Latvia
    and Portugal, Belgium, Poland and Ukraine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭smiley_face

Our group is decided bar whether its Germany or Russia. That will be decided by how Germany do versus Spain. So Italy, Georgia with us and either one Ger/Rus....

The other groups will be Germany/Russia, Lithuania, Romania and Latvia
    and Portugal, Belgium, Poland and Ukraine

That decides it, Russia, Georgia, Italy in our pool.

France join Brazil, New Zealand, Argentina, Fiji, Great Britain*, Argentina and USA in the Olympics. The Asian, African and Oceanic reps will be decided in November and the final spot next year in world repechage

We are into the European repechage and play Russia, Georgia and Italy in our group.Germany, Lithuania, Romania and Latvia and Portugal, Belgium, Poland and Ukraine are the other groups in that competition which is in 2 weeks time in Lisbon.
    We have to finish in the top 3 there to qualify for the world repechage

Uruguay, Chile, Canada, Mexico, Spain, the 3 from European repechage, 3 from Asian championships, 3 from African championships and 2 from oceanic championships will be the teams in the world repechage.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Lisbon will be great. Really looking forward to watching it. Will it get TV coverage?

Womens 7s side are also competing in Lisbon next weekend
    They play Belgium, Romania and Ukraine in the group stage and like the men they must finish in the top 3 to qualify for the world repechage

• Advertisement

Lisbon will be great. Really looking forward to watching it. Will it get TV coverage?
    World Rugby most likely streaming it on website

Squads named for Repechage next weekend

Men’s Squad
    Adam Byrne (UCD/Leinster)
    Aaron Cairns (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
    Tom Daly (Lansdowne/Leinster) (capt)
    Ian Fitzpatrick (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    Terry Kennedy (St. Mary’s College/Leinster)
    Shane Layden (Buccaneers/Connacht)
    Gearoid Lyons (Young Munster/Munster)
    Diarmaid McCarthy (Young Munster/Munster)
    David McGuigan (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
    Harry McNulty (UCD/Leinster)
    Mark Roche (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    Alex Wootton (Garryowen/Munster)
    Steve Toal-Lennon (St Mary’s College/Leinster)

And Women's squad
    Audrey O’ Flynn (TID)
    Jenny Murphy (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    Stacey Flood (Railway Union/Leinster)
    Hannah Tyrrell (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    Eimear Considine (TID)
    Ashleigh Baxter (Cook/ Ulster)
    Katie Fitzhenry (Blackrock/ Leinster)
    Claire Keohane (UL Bohemians/ Munster)
    Lucy Mulhall (Rathdrum) Capt
    Claire Molloy (Bristol/Connacht)
    Louise Galvin (UL Bohemian/Munster)
    Alison Miller (Portlaoise/Connacht)
    Emma Murphy (Railway Union/Leinster)

Tom Daly out for the weekend. Matthew O Regan replaces him in the squad. Gearoid replaces Daly as captain
    All games are being streamed by World Rugby/Rugby Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

Womens stream/ fixtures from portugal rugby site :

http://www.fpr.pt/noticias/index.asp?opm=25&id=11843&id2=25
    They play at 11.22, 14.22 and 18.06

Anyone got the mens stream or times?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

Ignore. Me its on the Irish rugby website, men are playing now at 11

• Advertisement

Thud wrote: »
    Ignore. Me its on the Irish rugby website, men are playing now at 11

I missed that, hows it going?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,505 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

52-0 win over Romania. Solid start

Men's team drew 19-19 with Russia to start. They'll need to open up against Italy and Georgia I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Men's team drew 19-19 with Russia to start. They'll need to open up against Italy and Georgia I guess.

Was a good recovery after being 19-5 down. Big step up from the opposition that they were facing a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I presume we need to top our group to go through in the Mens?

Russia should be our toughest opposition. They just beat Italy 31-7.

Georgia beat Italy 12-7, so hopefully we should be able to beat them. We'll need to give them a good beating to stay in touch with Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,505 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Women beat Belgium 24-5 in their second game

Ireland-Georgia starting now

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Greyian

Well, that's a good start

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Nice start. Try after a minute.

Ref looks like a German Simon McDowell and the touch judge looks like he weighs more than Marty Moore

• Advertisement

Final score?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Final score?

Either 21-19 or 21-17 to Ireland, I think. I missed the last conversion so not sure if they got it or not.

Uphill battle to qualify so?

Relying on Georgia to do a number on Russia?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

For anyone that is interested...

http://ur7s.com/news/live-stream-mens-olympic-qualifier-europe-europe-repechage-lisbon-7s---day-one

So who gets through to the final Olympic qualifying round depends on the winners in each group? That's really tough considering how difficult our group is. I thought it would be the final standings from the knock out stages.

Either 21-19 or 21-17 to Ireland, I think. I missed the last conversion so not sure if they got it or not.

21-17

http://ur7s.com/news/live-stream-mens-olympic-qualifier-europe-europe-repechage-lisbon-7s---day-one

So who gets through to the final Olympic qualifying round depends on the winners in each group? That's really tough considering how difficult our group is. I thought it would be the final standings from the knock out stages.

I presume it's the 2 finalists and the 3rd place playoff winners.

Interesting to watch the Germany/Lithuania Portugal/Belgium games, they're the other strong teams at this level although I'd say Georgia would give them a good game. Georgia will likely be playing Germany tomorrow from what I can work out, that could be a close one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kinse

What's the format for knock out stages of this tomorrow?
    Is it 3 group winners plus best runner up in semis or top 8 into quather finals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭smiley_face

Kinse wrote: »
    Is it 3 group winners plus best runner up in semis or top 8 into quather finals?

Wikipedia has it as quarter-finals.
    Looking at other 7s tournaments it's the top 2 from each group plus 2 more as best 3rd place team from group stage.
    It's seeded by points earned, then points scored difference.
    Ireland had the toughest group with Russia and Georgia, so will prob come 2nd with lowest points of a 2nd placed team. Likewise Russia will prob finish 1st with lowest points difference if they beat Georgia.
    That puts them 3rd seed, and Ireland 6th seed, and 3 should play 6 in the quarters.
    So it Looks like Ireland may be faced with Russia again in the quarter final, unless there's a rule against playing a team from same group.
    Anyone have more info on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Greyian

Looking at other 7s tournaments it's the top 2 from each group plus 2 more as best 3rd place team from group stage.
    Ireland had the toughest group with Russia and Georgia, so will prob come 2nd with lowest points of a 2nd placed team. Likewise Russia will prob finish 1st with lowest points difference if they beat Georgia.
    That puts them 3rd seed, and Ireland 6th seed, and 3 should play 6 in the quarters.
    So it Looks like Ireland may be faced with Russia again in the quarter final, unless there's a rule against playing a team from same group.

If it is done by points earned, we should end up being the top placed 2nd placed team, by virtue of the draw against Russia. On the flip side, if Russia fail to win against Georgia, we will likely be the lowest placed 1st place finisher.
    It seems to be 3 points for a win, 2 for a draw, 1 for a loss, and we have 8 points (2 wins and a draw). The only way for us to not be top-seeded 2nd place team is for the other games between pool leaders (Germany vs Lithuania and Belgium vs Portugal) to end in draws.

• Advertisement

Its not the group winners. its who finish top after the playoffs at the end
    Kinse wrote: »
    there is quarter finals tomorrow
    there will be no rule about playing teams from same group. teams ranked based on points, p diff etc

Advertisement