Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland 7s route to Rio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Are those games being streamed by World Rugby anywhere by any chance?

Not the Irish one anyway.

The tournament in Moscow between the top 12 teams is being shown on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

I presume tha result was expected no?

Just won their second game 60-0 against Belarus.

One group game left now against Montenegro.

Ireland won their final game of the day against Montenegro by 59 points to 5.

They topped their group and face Austria in the quarter-finals in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭gazump123

Did we beat Austria? If so, who do we play in the semi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

gazump123 wrote: »
    Did we beat Austria? If so, who do we play in the semi?

Yeah we hammered them, then played Turkey again in the semi and beat them 41-0. We've secured promotion to Division B and will play either Serbia or Bosnia in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭gazump123

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    Yeah we hammered them, then played Turkey again in the semi and beat them 41-0. We've secured promotion to Division B and will play either Serbia or Bosnia in the final.

That's good. We would be expected to beat Serbia or Bosnia as well I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I read that as Australia first and thought that was very impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

.ak wrote: »
    I read that as Australia first and thought that was very impressive!

In an alternate reality wherr Australia's entry into the Eurovision was dependent on them joining the Rugby Europe 7s as well!

Just to put more meat on the bones.

Ireland defeated Austria 38-10, then beat Turkey 41-0 as was stated above in the semi's.

Played Bosnia in the final and have just won 50-0. Roll on Division B!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 FishorSeal

Hi lads. What is the likely standard of the teams who stand between Ireland and the last place in Rio?

FishorSeal wrote: »
    Hi lads. What is the likely standard of the teams who stand between Ireland and the last place in Rio?

It will be very tough for Ireland to make it as there will only be 1 spot available so they would have to win everything against sides that will have experience and know-how at this.

Next up for Ireland is the Division B tournament which takes place in a fortnight.

They have to win that Tournament to participate in the Rugby Europe Olympic Repechage tournament in Lisbon on July 18-19.

The winners of that tournament then qualify for the World Olympic Repechage and the winners of that tournament qualify for Rio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Will the Division B tournament be televised here in Ireland, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bradders90

Melodeon wrote: »
    Not on irish TV, rugby europe (the organisation running it) may be streaming it online through Youtube or DailyMotion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,809 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its some schedule they have, if they get through the Division B, the european repechage is in Lisbon in mid-July, that will be cruel hot.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its some schedule they have, if they get through the Division B, the european repechage is in Lisbon in mid-July, that will be cruel hot.

Ah its not that bad. I spent a few years in that part of the world. It'll likely be low to mid 20s, it's coastal though and humidity is much lower than somewhere like the States for example, if it was in a southern state in America they'd be worse off! I'd say the temperature might actually be ideal.

I think that'll be the least of their worries. I'd love it if they made the World Repetage, that could be a great competition, maybe more on the line than any other previous competition in the sport!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Must make a promise to myself to get down to Kinsale next year for the 7s. Never played it, my fitness is probably too bad for it as is my one-on-one tackling, but I'd say it's a great laugh all together, especially if you string a few offloads together.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,809 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah it will be interesting to see what mark they hit in terms of teams they are competitive with. None of those Division B nations would be rugby heartlands. I think the fitness of the group is certainly showing, having the lads sourced from with top S&C programmes in the provinces is a massive advantage.

Between this and the 20s its a great bit of entertainment in the off-season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

.ak wrote: »
    Must make a promise to myself to get down to Kinsale next year for the 7s. Never played it, my fitness is probably too bad for it as is my one-on-one tackling, but I'd say it's a great laugh all together, especially if you string a few offloads together.
    Or go to Clifden for Connemara 7s. Its great laugh. Horrible to ref but great for summer fitness and skills worK

FishorSeal wrote: »
    Kenya will most likely be the African rep and they'll be tough to beat. Australia/Samoa from Oceania, Uruguay/Chile from South America all tricky especially Oceania sides.
    Melodeon wrote: »
    Not a hope but there should be highlights on rugby Europe's website/dailymotion page etc
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    Yeah it will be interesting to see what mark they hit in terms of teams they are competitive with. None of those Division B nations would be rugby heartlands. I think the fitness of the group is certainly showing, having the lads sourced from with top S&C programmes in the provinces is a massive advantage.

Between this and the 20s its a great bit of entertainment in the off-season.
    Plenty history in quite few of these countries but primarily ex-pats... Having pro's will help but shame nobody was picked from the Talent Identification days...

• Advertisement

Women's squad starting their attempt to qualify for Rio this weekend.
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/20744
    The European Championship is in Russia this weekend and in France the weekend after. The winner qualifies for the Olympics.

If Ireland does not win the European Championship qualification is possible through the World Repechage. To qualify for the World Repechage Ireland team must:
    a. Finish as the runner up of the 2015 European Championship or
    b. Finish in the top three of the European Repechage (Lisbon July 2015).

The winner of the 2016 World Repechage will qualify for the Olympics.

Squad is
    Claire Keohane (UL Bohemian/Munster)
    Jenny Murphy (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    Lucy Mulhall (TID) Capt
    Stacey Flood (Railway Union/Leinster)
    Shannon Houston (Blackrock/Leinster)
    Megan Williams (St. Mary's/Leinster)
    Amee-Leigh Murphy Crowe (St Mary's/Leinster)
    Katie Fitzhenry (Blackrock/Leinster)
    Claire Molloy (Bristol/Connacht)
    Eimear Considine (TID)
    Louise Galvin (UL Bohemian/Munster)
    Alison Miller (Portlaoise/Connacht)

GB announce the details of their Olympic Programme and how to be eligible etc
    Wonder if any 15s players will go for the GB team

http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_52200,00.html

There will be a union between the Rugby Football Union, the Welsh Rugby Union and the Scottish Rugby Union.
    Joe Lydon, the RFU’s Head of International Player Development, will lead on the jointly run programmes as performance manager.

To be eligible for selection, athletes must hold a British passport and should have previous sevens experience at international level having played in any one or more of the following tournaments in the 14-month period prior to the Rio 2016 Olympic Games: World Series, Rugby Europe Int tournaments, Invitational tournament
    Eligible players will be required to express their interest in being selected through their respective home union’s performance programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

GB announce the details of their Olympic Programme and how to be eligible etc
    Wonder if any 15s players will go for the GB team

http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_52200,00.html

There will be a union between the Rugby Football Union, the Welsh Rugby Union and the Scottish Rugby Union.
    Joe Lydon, the RFU’s Head of International Player Development, will lead on the jointly run programmes as performance manager.

To be eligible for selection, athletes must hold a British passport and should have previous sevens experience at international level having played in any one or more of the following tournaments in the 14-month period prior to the Rio 2016 Olympic Games: World Series, Rugby Europe Int tournaments, Invitational tournament
    Eligible players will be required to express their interest in being selected through their respective home union’s performance programmes.

Glad to see there seems to be a lot more maturity being shown towards this from the Welsh and Scots than there was for the GB football team pre-2012.

Womens 7s rugby side have lost both their opening games. Lost to Spain 24-12 and France 20-7. Last game of the day is against Ukraine

Mens Wolfhound 7s side have won their first two games of this weekends GB 7s in Colwyn Bay against Welsh Charitables 43-0 and Co-Optimist 22-19. Final Pool game is against Samurai

Wolfhounds side have got to final in Colwyn Bay. They play Samurai, already confirmed as GB 7s series champions, in that final

Any word on who is playing well for the Wolfhounds?

Women's 7s team through to the quarter finals tomorrow, they play England who will be tough I'm sure.

Any word on who is playing well for the Wolfhounds?

Women's 7s team through to the quarter finals tomorrow, they play England who will be tough I'm sure.
    Nothing really on who'd playing well. Mainly just results so far.

Dont see Womens side beating England. England too strong. Highlights of this will be up on rugby europe site monday...

Women lost to England 17-14 losing to try in last second.
    Playing for fifth place now. Play Italy next

Ireland beat Italy 31-5 and beat Holland 14-10 in Plate final.
    Women's team are in fifth place after round 1 of European series...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Ireland beat Italy 31-5 and beat Holland 14-10 in Plate final.
    Women's team are in fifth place after round 1 of European series...

How are Ireland doing in regards qualification? I'm guessing the women are kinda out of it.

Advertisement