Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland 7s route to Rio

Options
  • 12-03-2015 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭

Nobody really saw the other thread and I suppose this actually deserves a thread for itself

So Next stage of screening/selection process for the Men's side is this weekend.
    45 players in Lansdowne for training/games etc Then exiles and players from the academies will join for a further selection day before squad is picked for the competitions to take place over the summer

Draw for European Championships has also been made. We're in Division C which will be played June 6/7
    Pool A: Bosnia, Austria, Iceland, Malta
    Pool B: Turkey, Belarus, Montenegro, Ireland
    Pool C: Estonia, Serbia, Liechtenstein, San Marino

Finish in top 4 we qualify for Division B which will be played in Croatian June 20/21

The highest-ranked team in Division B then qualifies into the European Olympic Repêchage Tournament on 25/26 July [venue to be announced], the winner of which secures a place in the 2016 Rio Olympics
    England currently are not in direct places for a world cup spot so we could have to play them if we got to Repechage stage of competition
    http://www.the42.ie/ireland-sevens-rio-olympics-1985116-Mar2015/

Any thoughts on which academy/contracted players could be involved in this side and any club players

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Surely Isa Nacewa is Irish qualified at this stage. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

even at this short notice Ireland should be able to put together a reasonable 7s team utilising many players from the academies and the A teams and squad players not getting much game time .

Matt Healy,
    Marmion,
    Dave Kearney,
    Dom ryan,
    Hanrahan,
    Gilroy,
    Conway,
    Madigan,
    Van de Flier
    Conan
    Luk Fitzgerald

just a few names I can think of, and I'd only really know leinster, who i'd expect to be good at 7's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Well in terms of Leinster lads, I think Sam Coghlan Murray could do damage in 7's. I'd also like to see the two speedsters Kelleher and Byrne involved.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,006 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Mick mc grath lads.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Niyi from Connacht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

wprathead wrote: »
    Niyi from Connacht.
    He has a good shot and would have plenty of 7s experience from his time in Trinity as Tony Smeeth always has had Trinity sides playing a lot of 7s competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

luckily we avoided pool C, the pool of death!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bah06

only non contracted players being looked at

• Subscribers Posts: 41,006 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bah06 wrote: »

i assume that means senior contracts

bah06 wrote: »
    Academy players will be looked at. I assume you are talking about full senior contracted players?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Will need a few lads out of retirement but I would love to see a 7s team of:

7. Mike Ross
    6. Tony Buckley
    5. John Hayes
    4. Rodney Ah You
    3. Claw
    2. Stephen Ferris
    1. Big Mal

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Does development contracts count?

From Leinster:
    Mick McGrath
    Cian Kelleher
    SCM
    Billy Dardis
    Ringrose

Munster:
    Luke O'Dea - is he fully contracted?
    Fitzgerald

Ulster:
    I actually don't know many of Ulster academy prospects, but I imagine the bulk of eligible players will actually come from Ulster. It's breeding ground for quick centres, the type who excel at 7s.

Conn: Same as above, seem to be some good back three prospects coming out of Connacht. I presume Healy is on a full time contract now?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Will need a few lads out of retirement but I would love to see a 7s team of:

7. Mike Ross
    6. Tony Buckley
    5. John Hayes
    4. Rodney Ah You
    3. Claw
    2. Stephen Ferris
    1. Big Mal

I felt tired just reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bah06

yes just academy not development or full senior

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

To be honest, I just want to see Mike Ross play 7s. I'd probably prefer that to Ireland winning the RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

having just looked at the other countries and some of the players listed , we should win by cricket scores against any of that opposition.

The last round of the 14-15 world series is next weekend.
    Fiji, South Africa and New Zealand have taken three of the four automatic Olympic places so far. England are currently on 117 points with Australia on 101. With Englands lowest points total in this seasons world series 10 points its quite difficult to see them getting over hauled by the Aussies.
    This makes Irelands very very slim chances of making the Olympics that bit easier as England, Wales and Scotland will all be out of the running in the European qualification series.

Irelands first outing will be 3 weeks from next weekend. Hopefully we will see a squad list soon
    Ireland must finish in the top 4 to make it through to Division B.

Division C of European Championships:
    Pool A:
    Bosnia, Austria, Iceland, Malta
    Pool B:
    Turkey, Belarus, Montenegro, Ireland
    Pool C:
    Estonia, Serbia, Liechtenstein, San Marino

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bradders90

Will the u19 lads from a couple weeks back be considered?

bradders90 wrote: »
    Will the u19 lads from a couple weeks back be considered?
    No IMO. None of those who played are currently in the academy and unless they were at the screening sessions held so far and made it through I don't see any of them being near this squad. The squad will be players from the academies and the screening sessions held over past few months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭b.gud

.ak wrote: »
    Conn: Same as above, seem to be some good back three prospects coming out of Connacht. I presume Healy is on a full time contract now?

Gaffney would probably be top of the list of academy players. He's in his 2nd year of U20s with Ireland and looks a v good by all accounts.

Peter Robb would be a good look in as well, haven't seen him play in any of the Connacht A games but he looked pretty good for the U20s last year.

Caolin Blade is a scrum half who is pretty nippy and put in a couple of good performances for the senior team this year including the away win to Bayonne where he scored 2 tries and pleased headline writers across the country

And yes Healy is on a senior contract until the end of next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

errlloyd wrote: »
    Surely Isa Nacewa is Irish qualified at this stage. :)

Capped by Fiji, long ago, so will never be IQ, unfortunately.

b.gud wrote: »
    Gaffney would probably be top of the list of academy players. He's in his 2nd year of U20s with Ireland and looks a v good by all accounts.

Peter Robb would be a good look in as well, haven't seen him play in any of the Connacht A games but he looked pretty good for the U20s last year.

Caolin Blade is a scrum half who is pretty nippy and put in a couple of good performances for the senior team this year including the away win to Bayonne where he scored 2 tries and pleased headline writers across the country

And yes Healy is on a senior contract until the end of next year
    Doubt many of them will be involved. Don't think Robb would suit 7s at this level tbh but Blade would be interesting to see.
    Post wasn't serious im fairly sure...

Hopefully IRFU can post squad list for next months Division C appearances soon enough...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

but its different now

if be hadnt left the country he could have just played a 7s game for ireland and then he would be iq

but its different now

if be hadnt left the country he could have just played a 7s game for ireland and then he would be iq

What do you mean it's different now?

Are you saying that a player who has played for one country is now allowed to play for another?

Because that would be a pretty MAJOR rule change, and I'm sure it would have been commented upon in the media if it had happened.

Have you a source for your claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Are you saying that a player who has played for one country is now allowed to play for another?

Because that would be a pretty MAJOR rule change, and I'm sure it would have been commented upon in the media if it had happened.

It extends to the 7s only, and yes it was commented on in the media. Mostly about the idea of Steffon playing for France I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

You can play 7s for a new country and then play 15s for that new country. There was major media commentary particularly about Armitage

It is allowed now and its due to sevens entering the Olympics. It has been commented on in the media. The change is due to something to do with the Olympic charter
    http://en.espn.co.uk/olympicgames/rugby/story/243091.html

Wow.

I stand corrected, guys.

Thanks.

It extends to the 7s only, and yes it was commented on in the media. Mostly about the idea of Steffon playing for France I think.
    You can play 7s for a new country and then play 15s for that new country. There was major media commentary particularly about Armitage
    It is allowed now and its due to sevens entering the Olympics. It has been commented on in the media. The change is due to something to do with the Olympic charter
    http://en.espn.co.uk/olympicgames/rugby/story/243091.html

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How much would we have to pay sonny bill and a couple of others to play a game of 7s for us before the world cup :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

You have to have Olympic eligibility to switch countries, i.e. citizenship.

Advertisement