Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Ireland gotten so bad?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

otherwise known as 'cop - on'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Very easy to get them unblocked, it's illegal but there's still a thriving market.

To answer the OP, no, ireland is grand. For some reason "place is getting worse" is written underneath every news article about anything bad that ever happens on FB and the like. I think the Irish just might be the best in the world at rose tinting the past.

We used to be, not so much anymore

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Charlie19 wrote: »
    There was a guy arrested for masterbating in a supermarket the other day.

3 for 1 offer with double clubcard points.

a man can only take so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

if you live in Switzerland it probably seems like a country...

Ah yes, Switzerland... where they plan their spontaneity weeks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

El Weirdo wrote: »
    The do-gooding, lefty, hand-wringing, bleeding heart libtards; that's who.

If we had capital and corporal punishment in this country, we'd be fine.

Cut the hands offof them and they'd drop their phone stealin habits quick enough!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Whenever people from South America visit Ireland, or even live (t)here they consider it a paragon of virtue and order. At least outside of the drunken shenanigans post pub. Honestly, my father in law is always describing Ireland here over in the same way we would describe Switzerland.

There is no crime. Everything runs on time...etc. It makes me laugh.

Anyway, it's all perception. If you live somewhere truly chaotic Ireland does seem sedate and civilised, if you live in Switzerland it probably seems like a country over run by drunken maniacs where public services and amenities are planned and delivered by 5 year olds. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

"Gotten" sounds Swiss, it's not English anyway.

In fairness it is so bad in south africa that they mugged a journalist as he was getting ready to do a piece to camera. the muggers didnt care that there was a camera pointed at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

51559180.jpg

Edit: No idea how to add images in correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I blame Muslim water meter installers with a gay agenda.

Yep....Muslimins, stealing our water, just so they can have something to dip their Salad In.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Tabloid nonsense. I am walking down O'Connell street in Dublin typing thi

I am not a fan of that particular newspaper, but issues with endemic mobile phone theft are just fact.

I have had my mobile stolen from me along the quays a few months ago (D2 side if anyone wants to know :-)); grabbed by a guy on a bike while I was writing a text message. Had heard of numerous people to whom the same thing happened but though I was not a prime target as these thugs seem to concentrate on foreign looking young women. These stories were definitely not as frequent 5-10 years ago.

One of my friends was just walking on Dolier Street minding his own business. Out of nowhere a women started hugging him. He pushed her back wondering what was going on and said the whole thing lasted less than 5 seconds. A few minutes later he noticed his phone was gone from his pocket. Garda station told him they see this all the time and there was probably another person who got the phone during the few seconds it took for him to process the situation and react to what the woman did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Ah yes, Switzerland... where they plan their spontaneity weeks in advance.

Pros & Cons I suppose, you don't need to cover your mobile in turd and razor blades over there I imagine. Your biggest concern regarding personal safety is probably avoiding skiing into a tree at the weekend.

Here, you leave your "good" mobile at home and carry an old undesirable one around with you during the day as at some stage here, if you stick around for long enough, being robbed is a likely event.

Again, Ireland is somewhere in the middle. A good place to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

FunLover18 wrote: »
    It's like Mad fúcking Max over here!!! No one is safe!!!

Just walk away. Give me your phone, price of a few cans and I'll spare your lives. Just walk away and we'll give you a safe passageway in the wastelands. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I blame Muslim water meter installers with a gay agenda.

On the bright side, we have some fabulous new halal water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

It's gone to sh*t. Too many scumbags per capita.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mint Aero wrote: »
    It's gone to sh*t. Too many scumbags per capita.
    That should read "Too many scumbags per capital". It seems this is mainly a Dublin city centre issue and not very common in other cities?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Imagine being advised against walking around a busy, cosmopolitan city with $1,000 or so worth of kit the size of a cigarette-packet in your hand while your head is a million miles away. Tut-tut. I blame <takes deep breath> ISIS, single mothers, John Charles McQuaid, Joe Duffy (his son), that solicitor fella above in The Dublin wot de bank are takin' de house off of, Irish Water, Lance Armstrong and all his works and all his empty promises, the Insurance industry, unemployed builders, employed builders, shiftless Corporation workers and the IndaKinny(). But not necessarily in that order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

biko wrote: »
    That should read "Too many scumbags per capital". It seems this is mainly a Dublin city centre issue and not very common in other cities?

Yes Dublin but I avoid it completely and haven't been there in 2 years as a result. Waterford is awful, there just isn't enough capita "for a city" to cover up the sight & sounds of scummers everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

we have lost 4 garda stations locally due to cut backs. There was a spate of burglaries during the last couple of years where gangs of 3 and 4 would target older people living alone in remote locations.. most of those responsible were from over the border and there were a couple of Dublin criminals suspected also. I never remember robberies happening as often as they are lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

Ireland has not gotten worse - it's still the same horrible dump it always was - that's the problem, nothing has changed for the better since the place was foolishly taken away from british rule...

the only thing maybe that has gotten worse is the attitudes of all the d!ckheads that live here and think too much of themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Best way not to get mugged is to walk around looking like you want to steal a phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Satriale wrote: »
    Best way not to get mugged is to walk around looking like you want to steal a phone...

The best way not to get mugged is to walk around straight, purposeful and wide-awake with your head up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Just buy two phones. sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Hoop66

At least Ireland hasn't become so bad that people are saying things like "gotten".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

It's very bad here to be honest. It'll be that way until the government get off their asses and ok the deployment of ED-209s for civil pacification.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Hoop66 wrote: »
    At least Ireland hasn't become so bad that people are saying things like "gotten".

I always say 'gotten'. It's fallen out of use in UK English but it is a word with roots in British English.

Ireland has not gotten worse - it's still the same horrible dump it always was - that's the problem, nothing has changed for the better since the place was foolishly taken away from british rule...

the only thing maybe that has gotten worse is the attitudes of all the d!ckheads that live here and think too much of themselves.

I first came to Dublin (from France) in 2004 so I don't know about 30 years ago. But in the past 10 years my perception is that I definitely used to feel much safer in Dublin than in a large French city (one average, of course Dublin already had dodgy areas to be avoided), but that nowadays I would probably not feel that way any more.

I know the grass is always greener elsewhere and with time you tend to notice more issues with the place you live in - but really I can't remember of any my friends being victims of crime until 4-5 years ago, while there have been quite many incidents the past 3-4 years.

Maybe it all that immigration from France :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Hardly a surprise that Mobile phone theft has gone up as we're all using expensive smart phones.

Of course this is only a problem in Ireland, particularly in Dublin and mobile phone theft is non existent elsewhere especially in countries where ex-pats live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

basic street smarts should be taught in secondary school

Basic street smarts should come flippin naturally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Well aren't you todays ray of sunshine.

Serious victim-blaming going on here.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Hardly a surprise that Mobile phone theft has gone up as we're all using expensive smart phones.

Of course this is only a problem in Ireland, particularly in Dublin and mobile phone theft is non existent elsewhere especially in countries where ex-pats live.

True, if it is happening in other places it is definitely OK to have it in Ireland then.

Btw - many expats in Singapore, Hong Kong, Seoul, or Shanghai... and I feel much safer about my phone there (only to list places I have actually been to).

Advertisement