Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Ireland gotten so bad?

Options
  • 12-03-2015 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw an article where the Gardai recommend people not to use their mobile phones in public places.

I haven't lived in Ireland in about 15 years, has the country really gotten that bad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

There was a guy arrested for masterbating in a supermarket the other day.

So yeah its pretty grim over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Just keep your wits about you and not be wandering aimlessly during the early hours of the morning after a night out and generally you should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I work around the IFSC and we are forever getting warnings about using mobiles around the area. Just keep it in your pocket til you get where your going, same in every big city really

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Your Superior

sugarman wrote: »
    No.

Its just more and more dopey people walking around in a world of their own, that arent street wise and wonder why their phone was snatched in a grab and run.

Isn't the whole point of a mobile phone that you can walk around while using it? Pretty poor state of affairs if that's not possible in some places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Depending where I am in Dublin dictates how careful I am with my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

I thought before clicking on the link that the campaign was for people who are looking at their mobile while crossing the road. Thats what it should be for! Otherwise, I dont know anyone who has had their mobile snatched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Yep, Ireland has got so bad that the civil police force of the country have resorted to issuing press releases containing common sense advice for drunken revellers to have a wee bit of cop on about them.

Hell in a handcart, that's where we're going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Hell in a handcart, that's where we're going.

Who can we blame?!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, of course it hasn't. But the advice is for the same reason why you wouldn't walk down the street waving a €500 euro note around in one hand. Because someone could whip it off you, go around the corner and it's gone.

In the case of a phone, they duck in around the corner, into a phone shop run by some asian guy and walk out with €50.

As others say, this advice is really only relevant in parts of Dublin - primarily D1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Tabloid nonsense. I am walking down O'Connell street in Dublin typing thi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

catallus wrote: »
    Who can we blame?!

De Bankers.

Who can we blame?!
    I blame Muslim water meter installers with a gay agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Who can we blame?!

Probably wont be long before Denis O'Brien gets the blame somehow :D

Tabloid nonsense. I am walking down O'Connell street in Dublin typing thi
    Very considerate of your mugger to press 'post reply'.

You wouldn't get that in Marrakech.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Who can we blame?!

The do-gooding, lefty, hand-wringing, bleeding heart libtards; that's who.

If we had capital and corporal punishment in this country, we'd be fine.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    The do-gooding, lefty, hand-wringing, bleeding heart libtards; that's who.

If we had capital and corporal punishment in this country, we'd be fine.

NOW yer talkin' :)

Rabble rabble!

It's PC gone gay!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

deadybai wrote: »
    I thought before clicking on the link that the campaign was for people who are looking at their mobile while crossing the road. Thats what it should be for! Otherwise, I dont know anyone who has had their mobile snatched.

I had 3 robbed directly out of my hand but would have been around 1999-2001, around the Drumcondra, Fairview area. Each time I was walking home from the pub with the phone out, typing a text.

Twice was someone on a bike ( doubt it was the same person)
    Once a car pulled up with 3 lads in and said "give us your phone", what can you do?

2 of them were Nokia 8810, which were the coolest phones ever. Sorry cant post pic in work

http://lv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_8810#/media/File:Nokia-8810.jpg

Hasn't happened since, though it always stays in the pocket nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It's like Mad fúcking Max over here!!! No one is safe!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

basic street smarts should be taught in secondary school

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Charlie19 wrote: »
    There was a guy arrested for masterbating in a supermarket the other day.

So yeah its pretty grim over here.

Sure he was only a wánker anyhow!:eek:

Ah, its no worse than it's ever been really. Fair enough point about phones though. These smartphones are so expensive. It's not like many people were bothered running up stealing your Nokia 3210 15 years ago, they'd need a wheelbarrow to make off with it

• Advertisement

basic street smarts should be taught in secondary school

Street smarts? Surely kids know what street they live on? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Wide Load

It wasn't like this when Big Daddy Bertie was running the place! He made sure the streets were safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

No, Ireland is an incredible safe country with very low crime rates, no matter what type of crime, petty such as robbery or any violent crimes. Anyone who tells you otherwise is highly misinformed or just one of those gob****es who loves to go on about how **** ireland is compared to australia in canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Whenever people from South America visit Ireland, or even live (t)here they consider it a paragon of virtue and order. At least outside of the drunken shenanigans post pub. Honestly, my father in law is always describing Ireland here over in the same way we would describe Switzerland.

There is no crime. Everything runs on time...etc. It makes me laugh.

Anyway, it's all perception. If you live somewhere truly chaotic Ireland does seem sedate and civilised, if you live in Switzerland it probably seems like a country over run by drunken maniacs where public services and amenities are planned and delivered by 5 year olds. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

"Gotten" sounds Swiss, it's not English anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭SteM

OP - 15 years ago if you had have walked around Dublin with a €500 piece of technology, that's the same size as a chocolate bar, waving it around for everyone to see the same thing would happened.

Is it right that it happens now and would have happened then? No, but that doesn't mean the place has gotten bad. It means that scumbags will always pick on the low hanging fruit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

FunLover18 wrote: »
    It's like Mad fúcking Max over here!!! No one is safe!!!

I've taped razor blades to my phone so that when someone tries to rob it they'll cut their hands.

I sometimes rub my poo on the blades so that their wounds will become infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Thought phones could be blocked. What's the point stealing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I've taped razor blades to my phone so that when someone tries to rob it they'll cut their hands.

I sometimes rub my poo on the blades so that their wounds will become infected.

Jaysus, you're doing well if you can afford to waste a second meal like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Ruu wrote: »
    Just keep your wits about you and not be wandering aimlessly during the early hours of the morning after a night out and generally you should be okay.

True, serious shortage of common sense going around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

kneemos wrote: »
    Thought phones could be blocked. What's the point stealing them?

Very easy to get them unblocked, it's illegal but there's still a thriving market.

To answer the OP, no, ireland is grand. For some reason "place is getting worse" is written underneath every news article about anything bad that ever happens on FB and the like. I think the Irish just might be the best in the world at rose tinting the past.

Advertisement