Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Ireland gotten so bad?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Try residing in any major city in the world.
    Ireland is a doped up pussy cat compared to other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

True

How high should we raise taxes so we can have a guard on every street corner?

You think it's a lack of money? Or maybe laziness? Or not having gardai out on their feet on the streets instead of sitting in stations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Punishment? You been watching Judge Dredd?

I love that film. But no I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

For what it's worth I currently live in Colombia and previously lived in Korea. The latter has virtually no crime and I was genuinely shocked when I heard of the smallest theft. Colombia, as you might have guessed, has a lot more crime than Ireland and almost everyone gets mugged at some point.

So Ireland does seem very much in the middle to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

murpho999 wrote: »
    You know what, there isn't really.

Despite what the media and internet warriors would have you believe, crime in Dublin and Ireland is really quite low.

It actually is, I live in one of these areas myself and have done since I was born. I've had friends and heard multiple stories of people getting mugged, beaten for no reason. Stuff you wouldn't hear about unless you actually live here. I don't mean to be Mr negative, its just the way it is.

Don't rely on statistics for information when you're talking about crime, Alot of stuff happen that the Gardai don't know about since there is little or no cooperation between the gardai and the community

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

PucaMama wrote: »
    You think it's a lack of money? Or maybe laziness? Or not having gardai out on their feet on the streets instead of sitting in stations

You honestly believe there are enough gardai to cover all areas at all times to prevent crime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

masti123 wrote: »
    I agree, Sherrif St has obviously gotten way better but walk through other areas like Dolphins Barn, cherry orchard, neilstown or whatever. There's a fairly high change of getting mugged. Knocking down the flats in Sherrif St didn't solve the problem, just relocated it to somewhere more out of view. Some areas are improving, others declining, sadly.

Not really. You can wander through Ballymun, Neilstown, Dolphins barn, Blanch, or wherever you choose, pretty much without fear or harrasment. Dublins a nice city. There's plenty of places in London where if you wander in, you genuinely have a good to excellent chance of not wandering out. Or pop across to Los Angeles, or pretty much anywhere tbh. Dublins grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

PucaMama wrote: »
    Isn't crime prevention and punishment their one job?

Eh...no it's not actually.

Even so, how would you expect them from preventing petty crime (which is what phone theft is).
    You are asking way too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Not really. You can wander through Ballymun, Neilstown, Dolphins barn, Blanch, or wherever you choose, pretty much without fear or harrasment. Dublins a nice city. There's plenty of places in London where if you wander in, you genuinely have a good to excellent chance of not wandering out. Or pop across to Los Angeles, or pretty much anywhere tbh. Dublins grand.

I can't really speak for those places but if you take what people in South Dublin think is a rough area as examples, it becomes clear that we've got it good here compared to other places. I've heard Ballybrack, Monkstown farm, shankill north of the church, bray etc described as rough, awful, "no go areas at night" and it's complete bollocks. These areas have problems and a bit of violence goes on, but if you drive through at night you'll see people walking around and most of the time there's no problems.

Compare that to London, which admittedly hs about 7 times as many people. People over there, mostly young men, get stabbed or beaten to death all the time. And even being in a predominantly prosperous place like Greenwich or Islington you can come face to face with a situation that you won't be able to talk you're way out of. There are hundreds of estates over there that make any Dublin blocks of flats look like a step up for the inhabitants.

Yes, Dublin has problems, but I'm reminded of the Hangover: "But did you die?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    I can't really speak for those places but if you take what people in South Dublin think is a rough area as examples, it becomes clear that we've got it good here compared to other places. I've heard Ballybrack, Monkstown farm, shankill north of the church, bray etc described as rough, awful, "no go areas at night" and it's complete bollocks. These areas have problems and a bit of violence goes on, but if you drive through at night you'll see people walking around and most of the time there's no problems.

Compare that to London, which admittedly hs about 7 times as many people. People over there, mostly young men, get stabbed or beaten to death all the time. And even being in a predominantly prosperous place like Greenwich or Islington you can come face to face with a situation that you won't be able to talk you're way out of. There are hundreds of estates over there that make any Dublin blocks of flats look like a step up for the inhabitants.

Yes, Dublin has problems, but I'm reminded of the Hangover: "But did you die?!"

I lived in Peckham for 6 months when I was 17, and to be honest most of the violence I heard of when I was there was gang on gang. There was a far greater police presence, far less evidence of drugs/muggings, and in general never felt tense. Not like in Dublin anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Coincidentally, I was in Lewisham when I was 17, and the Peckham Boys cycled down to New Cross roughly 50 strong and stabbed one of my classmates cousins to death, he had no gang connections but they were "warring" with the "Ghetto Boys" from lewisham/new cross. They also shot a man passing on a moped but he survived. Around roughly the same time some boys forced their way through the security in the college and stabbed one of my classmates in the legs. A boy was hit in the head with a brick and had his bike stolen right across the road from the college, he was in a coma for months. A few months later one of my friends was stabbed to death in Upney Station, Barking.

These would probably all have been perceived as gang related by the public but I can 100% confirm that neither of the last 2 were in gangs and the girl in my class was very convincing when she said her cousin wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Coincidentally, I was in Lewisham when I was 17, and the Peckham Boys cycled down to New Cross roughly 50 strong and stabbed one of my classmates cousins to death, he had no gang connections but they were "warring" with the "Ghetto Boys" from lewisham/new cross. They also shot a man passing on a moped but he survived. Around roughly the same time some boys forced their way through the security in the college and stabbed one of my classmates in the legs. A boy was hit in the head with a brick and had his bike stolen right across the road from the college, he was in a coma for months. A few months later one of my friends was stabbed to death in Upney Station, Barking.

These would probably all have been perceived as gang related by the public but I can 100% confirm that neither of the last 2 were in gangs and the girl in my class was very convincing when she said her cousin wasn't.

I grew up in Camden Town. Feckin everywhere here seems lovely and quiet by comparison tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Ireland has not gotten worse - it's still the same horrible dump it always was - that's the problem, nothing has changed for the better since the place was foolishly taken away from british rule...

the only thing maybe that has gotten worse is the attitudes of all the d!ckheads that live here and think too much of themselves.

Didn't help that the city was pulverised during the Civil War to achieve that break from English rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

catallus wrote: »
    Who can we blame?!

Should we blame the government?

Or blame society?

Or should we blame the images on tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

For what it's worth I currently live in Colombia and previously lived in Korea. The latter has virtually no crime and I was genuinely shocked when I heard of the smallest theft. Colombia, as you might have guessed, has a lot more crime than Ireland and almost everyone gets mugged at some point.

So Ireland does seem very much in the middle to me.

Exactly.

Many people here saying it is "fine" and any major city will have this type of issue, but they don't seem to see past Europe or the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Charlie19 wrote: »
    There was a guy arrested for masterbating in a supermarket the other day.

So yeah its pretty grim over here.
    Not my fault that doughnut ring looked so inviting.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

In fairness those who have had bad experiences will say its a ****hole, those who haven't will say everything is grand.

Personally, I think it's sonewhere in between...leaning towards 'not too bad'!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Colinf1212

People put signs up saying: "It's okay to talk you know" in boring, bland, asocial Germany. Is it THAT fecking boring?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Isn't the whole point of a mobile phone that you can walk around while using it? Pretty poor state of affairs if that's not possible in some places.

Isn't the whole point of wearing a diamond necklace to show you're wealthy and can probably afford to take the hit of 10 grand if some urchin relieves you of said necklace as disappears?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Egginacup wrote: »
    Isn't the whole point of wearing a diamond necklace to show you're wealthy and can probably afford to take the hit of 10 grand if some urchin relieves you of said necklace as disappears?

Ladies wearing mini skirts should expect to get raped. Someone living in a wealthy neighbourhood should expect for their house be broken into. Someone who is carrying cash should expect to get mugged.

All that good stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement