Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Ireland gotten so bad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

kowloon wrote: »
    On the bright side, we have some fabulous new halal water.
    I blame Muslim water meter installers with a gay agenda.
    Yep....Muslimins, stealing our water, just so they can have something to dip their Salad In.
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Isn't phone theft much lower now that every operator can block the imei from being used with any sim card & smart phones can be remotely wiped.

Seems stealing an inert piece of plastic is now futile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I simply can't understand why people don't insure something worth 600 quid. (most high end smartphones).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Janey mack, what next huh?

People stealing your watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Isn't phone theft much lower now that every operator can block the imei from being used with any sim card & smart phones can be remotely wiped.

Seems stealing an inert piece of plastic is now futile.

imei blocking is not always done properly and in any case it is not an international system so you just need to sell the phone in another country.

Apple's activation lock helps much more as it is international and the phone is blocked if you don't know the password for the Apple account of the genuine owner.

It did have some effect on theft numbers.
    But you still have guys stealing iPhones and selling them 50-100 euros "for parts" or abusing people who don't know about this and don't make sure the phone is accepting a new account before buying it. They are not even hiding to do that - see the ones which are marked "Apple locked", "iCloud locked", "Activation locked", or "ID locked" on adverts.ie: http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_iphone+locked/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

The police over here tell people the same thing over here in the states.
    I don't thinks it's a reflection of whether or not a country is deteriorating.
    Several of my friends have had their mobiles snatched out their hands or pockets. This was in NYC

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Gardai should do sting operations and employ chuck Norris he would have the city sorted in no time.

You need to think of it this way the guys that are robbing are career criminals and this is their job which they are good at.

It doesn't matter where you are if you present an easy opportunity someone will most likely be there to take it.

As others have side try not to let the call consume your complete attention to what is going on.

If you have a expensive phone and are using it cover it with as much of your hand and fingers as possible because as I would see most just have a finger pressing to ear which makes it easy to get another hand on it to grab.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I am going to get one of those dog toy phones, like Fr. Dougal buys, and walk around Dublin 1. When some boyo steals it and thinks he's scored big, he'll soon have egg on his face.

Squeak squeak.

1-0 to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

KungPao wrote: »
    I am going to get one of those dog toy phones, like Fr. Dougal buys, and walk around Dublin 1. When some boyo steals it and thinks he's scored big, he'll soon have egg on his face.

Squeak squeak.

1-0 to me.

Before one of his buddies who was operating as his cover punches you from behind. 1-1.

Seriously, I am not sure this is a good idea ...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

a city can't run on discipline and punishment alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Caliden wrote: »
    I simply can't understand why people don't insure something worth 600 quid. (most high end smartphones).

I think the insurance costs are ridiculous. Ranging from €79-100.

Compare that as a percentage of the value. Then do the same thing with car insurance where and you'll realise how gadget insurance is a rip off.

I'll take my chances as I have also heard that getting a claim paid is also very difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think the insurance costs are ridiculous. Ranging from €79-100.

Compare that as a percentage of the value. Then do the same thing with car insurance where and you'll realise how gadget insurance is a rip off.

I'll take my chances as I have also heard that getting a claim paid is also very difficult.

Something like 4% of mobile phone insurance claims are paid out - they have plenty of clauses to cover them to try and dodge it. True of all insurance of course but particularly bad for phone, which also happen to be relatively small and valuable so are lovely theft targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I remember going on family trips to Dublin in the early 80s that were planned with near military precision. It was a far more dangerous place back then. Trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I remember going on family trips to Dublin in the early 80s that were planned with near military precision. It was a far more dangerous place back then. Trust me.

Apt user name . Was this the 1880s ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Apt user name . Was this the 1880s ?

Must have been when they washed in the street and threw buckets of waste out on the street.

Now we have the walking dead for real and all for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Rezident

Dublin city centre is getting worse, and it was bad to begin with. Even at lunchtime on a weekday the number of skangers and junkies is depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Rezident wrote: »
    Dublin city centre is getting worse, and it was bad to begin with. Even at lunchtime on a weekday the number of skangers and junkies is depressing.

No it isn't. Walk down Sherrif St carrying a mobile phone now and you've a very high chance of reaching the other end still in possession of a mobile phone. Do that in the 1980's and you'd be in possession of a breeze-block neatly jammed into your head, many bruises and no phone. Dublin has gotten better. Much better. In fact, it's positively sanitised compared to most Capital Cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

jester77 wrote: »
    Just saw an article where the Gardai recommend people not to use their mobile phones in public places.

I haven't lived in Ireland in about 15 years, has the country really gotten that bad?

The bombings have stopped!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

No it isn't. Walk down Sherrif St carrying a mobile phone now and you've a very high chance of reaching the other end still in possession of a mobile phone. Do that in the 1980's and you'd be in possession of a breeze-block neatly jammed into your head, many bruises and no phone. Dublin has gotten better. Much better. In fact, it's positively sanitised compared to most Capital Cities.

Sherrif St. The mere mention of it's name was enough to send a shiver down your spine.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

I agree, Sherrif St has obviously gotten way better but walk through other areas like Dolphins Barn, cherry orchard, neilstown or whatever. There's a fairly high change of getting mugged. Knocking down the flats in Sherrif St didn't solve the problem, just relocated it to somewhere more out of view. Some areas are improving, others declining, sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Pros & Cons I suppose, you don't need to cover your mobile in turd and razor blades over there I imagine. Your biggest concern regarding personal safety is probably avoiding skiing into a tree at the weekend.

Here, you leave your "good" mobile at home and carry an old undesirable one around with you during the day as at some stage here, if you stick around for long enough, being robbed is a likely event.

Again, Ireland is somewhere in the middle. A good place to be.

Where do you live Magico?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

True that - I was in Sheriff Street all day today using my phone's GPS and talking on it for work - loads of scaldies and junkballs around who didn't bat an eyelid and I'm somehow typing this post from said Nexus 5.... :)

masti123 wrote: »
    I agree, Sherrif St has obviously gotten way better but walk through other areas like Dolphins Barn, cherry orchard, neilstown or whatever. There's a fairly high change of getting mugged. Knocking down the flats in Sherrif St didn't solve the problem, just relocated it to somewhere more out of view. Some areas are improving, others declining, sadly.

You know what, there isn't really.

Despite what the media and internet warriors would have you believe, crime in Dublin and Ireland is really quite low.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

This kind of advice is regularly given by gardai etc because it's easier for them to give advice than act and do their job and make the streets safe for normal people to do normal things. Mobile phones are made to be used anywhere why the hell are these little scumbags who spend their time robbing people allowed to impact so much on other people's lives.

PucaMama wrote: »
    This kind of advice is regularly given by gardai etc because it's easier for them to give advice than act and do their job and make the streets safe for normal people to do normal things. Mobile phones are made to be used anywhere why the hell are these little scumbags who spend their time robbing people allowed to impact so much on other people's lives.

In fairness to the Gardai you can't expect them to be responsible for everything and be able to prevent every little crime.

I think the advice is good and we should all be using common sense.

One tip, is to use the headphones within line microphone if making calls when out and about.
    Phone can stay securely in pocket then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

murpho999 wrote: »
    In fairness to the Gardai you can't expect them to be responsible for everything and be able to prevent every little crime.

I think the advice is good and we should all be using common sense.

One tip, is to use the headphones within line microphone if making calls when out and about.
    Phone can stay securely in pocket then.

Isn't crime prevention and punishment their one job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭darlenmol

what next? No farting in trousers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

Does this just apply to Dublin City, surely not Ireland in general ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

True

How high should we raise taxes so we can have a guard on every street corner?

• Advertisement

Punishment? You been watching Judge Dredd?

Advertisement