Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes workers to strike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

thierry14 wrote: »
    There was a clue in there.

Do Dunnes staff not work hard?

Look not all people can upskill, stop talking like they can.You do it all the time.

Some people have kids and mouths to feed and don't have the luxury of taking career risks.

Do you have kids?

You should be glad not everyone can upskill, you probably wouldn't be in the comfortable position you are in now.

working hard is not just about doing 15 hours a week in dunnes to the best of your ability, its about every facet of life. working hard means taking the time to up skill, it means sacrificing sleep to gain skills , it means taking risks and making sure they pay off. I don't have kids, but if somebody was relying on dunnes to fund their children's lives I would call that an irresponsible decision to have kids and the incentive to up skill and provide should be bigger than ever.

if people up skilled their incomes would be higher and they'd have more to spend on services and goods I supply. I am not concerned about anyone else's skill level in relation to my own.
    efb wrote: »
    I don't mean exclusively on this thread

fair enough, probably should get back on topic, but ill indulge, please provide me with more examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

my job is repairing the machines :D

Id upskill , Im self employed (the ultimate 0 hours contract) and over the last almost 11 years now my business model has had to change so many times to stay profitable.

And the people who ain't as clever as you..?

not yet wrote: »
    And the people who ain't as clever as you..?

Im not particularly clever, if i was id have gotten a lot further nothing that ive done is particularly amazing , i learned how to do something well from other people whove written books about doing the same thing , and turned that into a revenue source, skills in high demand = high renumeration for those skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Jesus some of the posts in this thread. Low paid workers looking for the hours they actually work in writing and guaranteed week to week & to be treated a little fairer. Anyone passing this picket should be really proud of themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Not G.R wrote: »
    Jesus some of the posts in this thread. Low paid workers looking for the hours they actually work in writing and guaranteed week to week & to be treated a little fairer. Anyone passing this picket should be really proud of themselves.

apparently they should work harder or something, I've switched off the DM news feed

• Advertisement

apparently they should work harder or something, I've switched off the DM news feed

Sell everything off to big business and we'll all work for a bowl of rice..

The rich get richer and the greedy get greedier..

they should just leave if they're unhappy.
    Sell everything off to big business and we'll all work for a bowl of rice..

The rich get richer and the greedy get greedier..
    thats exactly what this is :rolleyes: , why not open your own supermarket and take all the dunnes staff with you and pay them a lot of money if its so easy to just generate money out of thin air.

Not G.R wrote: »

I work in dunnes. I'll have no problem whatsoever passing the picket. I'll take all the hours I can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

Dunnes employ 14,000 odd staff in ireland. That's a fair chunk and many seem to be there for years. A huge irish business success with big competition from foreign chains.. Don't know the facts about the strike but there seems to be a lot more workers not going on strike. Pity the unions won't adress public sector waste instead of the private business populist targets

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

I work in dunnes. I'll have no problem whatsoever passing the picket. <b>I'll take all the hours I can get.</b>

Isn't that the whole point of the strike? But you're braver then I, gotta' do what you gotta' do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

kub wrote: »
    So a relative of mine works in Dunnes and is going out on the picket line. That person was in work today and was called into a meeting or more of a threatening speech by the shop management aka The Pawns.

They have said:

1. They would reduce the hours of anyone who strikes.
    2. They will not acknowledge Mandate.
    3. They will not change working hour arrangements.
    4. They won't give pay rises.
    5. That the staff protesting are risking their own jobs.
    6. There would be bad blood the following day......interesting remark that actually as the following day is Good Friday.

So my relative has used that wonderful term......the stuff that comes out the back of a bull.......

But Dunnes are being traditional anyway, still an absolute shower to work for.

Someone should kindly let the high mucky mucks in Dunnes know that it's now the 2010's and not the 1910's. Belligerent isn't the word.

I work in dunnes. I'll have no problem whatsoever passing the picket. I'll take all the hours I can get.

you will go far with an attitude like that. Best of luck mate and if you get any evil eyes or negative comments I'm sure management will be very helpful in removing those responsible.
    gowley wrote: »
    Dunnes employ 14,000 odd staff in ireland. That's a fair chunk and many seem to be there for years. A huge irish business success with big competition from foreign chains.. Don't know the facts about the strike but there seems to be a lot more workers not going on strike. Pity the unions won't adress public sector waste instead of the private business populist targets

if dunnes went ahead with all these demands they'd only be able to afford about 10,000 staff. The people protesting don't realise that 15 hours for them can't be afforded unless somebody else gets 0.

That my friend makes you a scab in old money..

they may drop yours when they get cheaper staff, but if short termism self interest is your thing....

you will go far with an attitude like that. Best of luck mate and if you get any evil eyes or negative comments I'm sure management will be very helpful in removing those responsible.

In the store I work in I would confidently say that most of the staff have no interest in striking. Low union presence, mostly made up of old biddies etc. who are not affected by anything the union is complaining about. I think only 10% or so voted in favour of striking.

That my friend makes you a scab in old money..

Couldn't give a toss, there's bills to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Dunnes and Tesco's number is up. Lidl and Aldi are slowly building their base in Ireland and will continue to take market share.

A Wal Mart type structure entering the market will finish the fcukers off H Williams style. And good riddance too. Bunch of robbing dirt birds.

Couldn't give a toss, there's bills to be paid.
    here is a man who really gets it. you will do well in life mate.
    Dunnes and Tesco's number is up. Lidl and Aldi are slowly building their base in Ireland and will continue to take market share.

A Wal Mart type structure entering the market will finish the fcukers off H Williams style. And good riddance too. Bunch of robbing dirt birds.

Hah , Lidl and Aldi work staff to the bone and expect them to come in at a moments notice and are never overstaffed, but if you want to go far and work hard they have a brilliant management program. Its the free market personified in german efficiency.

Lol. Ignorance is bliss. Do you honestly think Wal Mart pay big wages to staff. Ask the Asda staff in the UK when they were taken over H Williams were ultimately taken over by Tesco. Wal Mart staff went on strike in June last year because of low wages.

Lol. Ignorance is bliss. Do you honestly think Wal Mart pay big wages to staff. Ask the Asda staff in the UK when they were taken over H Williams were ultimately taken over by Tesco. Wal Mart staff went on strike in June last year because of low wages.

by robbing B*stards i think he means the price you pay for things. I wonder does he realise where the savings for low prices are made.

• Advertisement

by robbing B*stards i think he means the price you pay for things. I wonder does he realise where the savings for low prices are made.

By reading his posts I can see he's not the most intelligent . Once his argument just consists of name calling and abuse you can forget about any constructive conversation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Lidl and Aldi charge low prices, yet pay their staff a better basic wage...

Lidl and Aldi charge low prices, yet pay their staff a better basic wage...

fewer staff, less overheads

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

fewer staff, less overheads

And much lower margins.

Lidl have said their profit margin here is 2%

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Private sector strikes always seem to be more risky (in terms of overall job security) than other sectors, but if the workers do not come to an agreement, I'd wish them well on the day.

And much lower margins.

I can guarantee you that's not true. No supermarket works off anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

And much lower margins.

They don't sell products at 2% margin, more like 20-30% margin.

They had revenue of over 1 billion last year with profits north of 150 million.

That's decent margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I can guarantee you that's not true. No supermarket works off anything like that.

Correction.... Aldi's profit for 2013 in the UK & Ireland market was 3.7%.

A bit better alright.

(Revenue: €6,750m vs profit: €253m)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Correction.... Aldi's profit for 2013 in the UK & Ireland market was 3.7%.

A bit better alright.

(Revenue: €6,750m vs profit: €253m)

They have a bit of competition in the UK.

They are racking it in here.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aldi-profits-more-than-double-to-185m-29663592.html

Like other retailers they are cleaning up here compared the UK.

• Advertisement

thierry14 wrote: »
    They have a bit of competition in the UK.

They are racking it in here.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aldi-profits-more-than-double-to-185m-29663592.html

Like other retailers they are cleaning up here compared the UK.

They don't separate UK and ire land profits. Looking at those revenues Horseman is about 2 billion out in revenue and doesn't take into account interest right downs and restructuring of property values that they have removed. But what's the point in letting facts get in the way.

Advertisement