Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ecstasy and Ketamine are currently legal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

This will probably be one of the greatest intelligence gathering opportunities the Gardaí have ever had.

That's the stupidest thing posted on the thread so far

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Cant believe drugs were legal for one day and now half the country is dead and the other half are chronic drug addicts!! I hope all you people in favour of relaxing those laws are proud of yourselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Synode wrote: »
    That's the stupidest thing posted on the thread so far

You obviously underestimate how stupid people are.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kellford

can't get no sleep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

Alcohol will ALWAYS be the drug of choice.

While the highs of cocaine and ecstasy are much more fun, their ability to keep you awake will always be their downfall. As you get older you look back on those 2-3 day benders with disgust. At least with alcohol you will fall asleep and in most cases will have no intention of doing it again the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

TommyOM wrote: »
    Alcohol will ALWAYS be the drug of choice.

While the highs of cocaine and ecstasy are much more fun, their ability to keep you awake will always be their downfall. As you get older you look back on those 2-3 day benders with disgust. At least with alcohol you will fall asleep and in most cases will have no intention of doing it again the following day.

Personally, i've looked back on pretty much any all nighters on yokes and thought of them as memorable, enjoyable times with my mates while many times after being on the piss i've had the fear and felt significantly worse or just not remembered anything. In most cases, you're not going to go on pills back to back nights either, same as drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bruce101

Amazing how quick the government can move when they want to. If this was a serious issue the cu nts would be nowhere to be found hiding behind their PR people.

I'm just wondering why you think that this is not a serious issue?

Cost to the health sector over the next 48 hours will be insane. Can't imagine what emergency departments are going to look like.

Not much different. A lot more people in the country take yokes than people realise and you only hear of the rare horror story due to: not drinking enough water, overheating, overdosing or dodgy pills (which is a lot rarer than let on, people aren't going to poison their customers). 99% of the time that doesn't happen because the first three are easily avoidable and the 4th is rare anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Bruce101 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering why you think that this is not a serious issue?

A bunch of fairly harmless drugs have been temporarily legalised for possession. The only effect of this is that there will be less drug convictions handed out.

• Advertisement

It's better than paying good money to lock up people for selling drugs that are less harmful or addictive than currently legal drugs such as nicotine or alcohol.

Do you honestly think that these legal highs are 'less harmful or addictive than currently legal drugs...'??

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

spiralism wrote: »
    Personally, i've looked back on pretty much any all nighters on yokes and thought of them as memorable, enjoyable times with my mates while many times after being on the piss i've had the fear and felt significantly worse or just not remembered anything. In most cases, you're not going to go on pills back to back nights either, same as drinking.

Unfortunately I would always end up on benders in a gaf full of people with charlie and yokes. It would go on for 2-3 days. All through the night and morning, bottles of vodka bought at 12 and all through the day. Out that night and back to the gaf to continue the party.

Great fun back then but after a couple of years it reached its end. Lots of session moths (as they're called now) and drugs but also the odd ambulance called, massive drug dealers hanging around and trouble with the police by the end. Over those years I probably spent at least 100k on partying, drugs, wining and dining and gambling. I let a lot of people down and hurt a lot of people close to me. Absolutely mental times.

Probably worth it, just about. Not anymore though.

vs a gramme of weed in Amsterdam

Gram of weed in ireland is about €22-25 euro given that €50 bags these days are hovering around about 2-2.3 grams from personal experience in Galway.

Gram of weed in a coffeeshop in Amsterdam ranges from €7 to €16 typically, depending on strain, strength, flavour etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Do you honestly think that these legal highs are 'less harmful or addictive than currently legal drugs...'??

The legal highs are raw filth.But alcohol is much, much more dangerous and addictive than pure MDMA.As is nicotine.

According to a Dutch Study in order:

http://www.thefix.com/content/10-hardest-addictive-drugs-to-kick7055
    1. Heroin
    2. Crack Cocaine
    3. Nicotine
    4. Methodone
    5. Crystal Meth
    6. Alcohol
    7. Cocaine
    8. Amphetamines
    9. Benzodiazepines (e.g. Valium)
    10. GHB

Alcohol and Cigarettes have a massive cost, Alcohol in the related injuries and violence, cigarettes in long term palliative care from cancer and so on.

Ecstasy I would say is less harmful, unless you overuse it to the point that it depletes the serotonin levels in your brain.

Legal highs ... I would say there is very little information, many of the illegal highs are less damaging than the current legal highs for sure.

Augmerson wrote: »
    Was listening to Blind Boy on Tom Dunne, he was supposed to have taken ecstasy. I wouldn't put it past him. Conversation was really good, was talking about mental health and was very intelligent and articulate.

That was a mad thing to happen. I'm convinced now, in a way I wasn't before, that this country is ****ing mad. Nothing will sway that belief.

There's a reason they're called "chats" :pac:

Seriously though, the way they work is generally that theres a come-up followed by a peak where you're pretty ****ed and out of it, followed by a plateau where you're often chatty, friendly, articulate and can/will converse on a wide range of topics. After that theres the comedown phase where you spin out and are barely coherent and eventually you fall asleep.

So assumedly he went on at the right time and was well able to hold a conversation

A bunch of fairly harmless drugs have been temporarily legalised for possession. The only effect of this is that there will be less drug convictions handed out.

Are they fairly harmless though? I've seen, and see daily, young people who have been very badly affected by the use of these drugs... I'm not sure that they are fairly harmless...

One can't say for sure as most "legal highs" haven't been tested on humans to find out how dangerous they actually are. But it wouldn't be too far fetched to claim that they are safer and less addictive than highly dangerous and addictive drugs such as alcohol and nicotine.

Are they fairly harmless though? I've seen, and see daily, young people who have been very badly affected by the use of these drugs... I'm not sure that they are fairly harmless...

Ecstasy and magic mushrooms are among the safest drugs there are. The only people that they harm are those that abuse them. And even then the harm is rarely permanent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

• Advertisement

That's not really the drugs fault, just the socioeconomic status of the user:

http://healthland.time.com/2011/11/15/why-kids-with-high-iq-are-more-likely-to-take-drugs/
    In contrast, drug users with less education and wealth are more likely to be exposed to negative consequences of drug use. This is due in part to the fact that money itself can buy protection against the types of criminal involvement and disease that can affect poor drug users.

*edit* although I think you are lumping everyone that uses *the broadend term* "drugs" regardless of the type together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Over those years I probably spent at least 100k on partying, drugs, wining and dining and gambling.

..and the rest you squandered :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

His last line is hilarious. "I just want to apoligise, to the mushroom growing community for any offense that might have been caused" after correcting a previous assertion that mushrooms were plants, to recognising they are in fact fungi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

nm wrote: »
    The key difference is that advocates for change did not and do not ever claim that legalisation of marijuana will lead to a reduction in violation of restraining orders, trespass, etc.

Did you even read the post I replied to?

I responded to a person advocating legalization of marijuana who implied that legalization was connected to a reduction in property crime (burglary, larceny, car theft).

I have no idea where that connection to marijuana legalisation is supposed to spring from, but since he wanted to rely on the statistics, that's what I have done.

Presumably, that person would be interested to learn that narcotic crime, fraud, public order offenses, and gun crime have increased significantly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

I wish they'd make Codeine , Hydrocodone, Oxymorphone, Hydromorphone, Valium, Xanax & Librium legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

While the highs of cocaine and ecstasy are much more fun, their ability to keep you awake will always be their downfall. As you get older you look back on those 2-3 day benders with disgust.

Thank God for Benzos, problem solved. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

conorh91 wrote: »
    There was a net increase in total crime.

From 48,153 in 2013 to 49,365 in 2014

SO thats a maybe 2% increase?

Now take into account Denver is one of the USA's fastest growing cities and I think you'll find there's not much in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Am I the only one who would be genuinely afraid of taking drugs? :O

Am I the only one who would be genuinely afraid of taking drugs? :O
    Lucky you. You get to try it for the first time.

First time taking ecstasy is the best, and it happens only once.

Totally the opposite of sex when you think about it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Wide Load

Is it still legal or what's the story lads? I've been wrapped up in blankets in my hot press for the last 12 hours and don't feel like coming out to find out.

Advertisement