Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ecstasy and Ketamine are currently legal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

bjork wrote: »
    How much does a gram of weed sell for on the black market these days?
    Standard-ish price is €50 for 3.5g, though there have been times in recent years when fifty-bags typically contained less than 3g. You wouldn't get anyone who'd sell in quantities as low as a gram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Standard-ish price is €50 for 3.5g, though there have been times in recent years when fifty-bags typically contained less than 3g. You wouldn't get anyone who'd sell in quantities as low as a gram.

Interesting > So because of it's illegality you are forced to buy a minimum amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Nu Killa Cru have one more night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Was listening to Blind Boy on Tom Dunne, he was supposed to have taken ecstasy. I wouldn't put it past him. Conversation was really good, was talking about mental health and was very intelligent and articulate.

That was a mad thing to happen. I'm convinced now, in a way I wasn't before, that this country is ****ing mad. Nothing will sway that belief.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

bjork wrote: »
    Interesting > So because of it's illegality you are forced to buy a minimum amount.

It's almost like it wouldn't be worth the risk for a euro or two profit.

It's almost like.. the risk and illegality is driving the price. :eek:

Apparently the US media has picked this up, story has legs over there. American cousins were messaging me asking is everybody on meth? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Elaborate.

Basically, by allowing themselves to add the drugs in question to the schedule of illegal substances without passing legislation through the Oireachtas, the government delegated to the executive body powers that properly belong to the legislative body.

It's convoluted and there would potentially have been a constitutional way to allow themselves to do it, but the requisite standard of proper 'policy and procedures' being outlined in the parent legislation was not followed in the view of the Court of Appeal.

My very basic explanation of it cause it's very technical and I haven't read the full judgment yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭dasdog

Any word from the school teachers, part-time publicans and amateur landlords in Doyles bar yet on Germany invading Poland?

The wan on Vincent Browne show definitely had Khat. :D

Derek Davis is half the man to 10 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

This country is really messed up

dasdog wrote: »
    Any word from the school teachers, part-time publicans and amateur landlords in Doyles bar yet on Germany invading Poland?

Liberties in Cork had a publican who was a teacher.

This country is really messed up

If we were on the ball you wouldn't have got to play for us ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Well I for one am delighted that Amanda Brunker's new twin daughters will have the same crack a' the whip as the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Sh*te, its midnight. Are they still legal?? OfOr may I stick em back under the mattress...

36-Year-Old Frantically Looking For Old Nokia Phone Containing Dealer’s Number

THIRTY six year old Maurice Keegan spent the majority of this afternoon searching for his old Nokia 3210, which contains the number of Jimbo White – a once prominent and well know drug dealer in the area during the late naughties

Keegan swore he had last seen the device in the kitchen press, along with all the other useless ****e he refuses to throw away.
    “****-****-****,” he exclaimed, knowing a newly found drug loophole in the Irish law was quickly coming to a close. “If I get yokes tonight, I can ring in sick tomorrow and go on the bang with the lads until Thursday”.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,565 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

nm wrote: »

What an ejjit - you are allowed to have them, you are still not allowed to supply them.:D *knock, knock*

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

YFlyer wrote: »
    Less than what the media and Gardai say.

I think they lace it with lead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Would the chemists stock ketamine. For pain.

They should. Ketamine is a very effective painkiller for people who really need it. But alas no.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

conorh91 wrote: »
    I think you're after awakening to the mistaken path you were about to tread.

If a Government, as a matter of policy, seeks to supply drugs that are currently prohibited, it would need to ensure a safe way of doing so. This would require regulation and quality assurance, and staffing, and limited potency in some cases... problems which just don't arise for the major drug gangs who will always be able to beat the Government, just like private industry usually does.

Have a read of this. If you don't want to read it, it's basically saying that in Colorado, since legalisation of cannabis:

- Less people are arrested for cannabis based laws (1,464 last year, in comparison to 9,011 in 2010) which reduces the cost of enforcing the laws (the article states that it costs about $300 per person arrested for cannabis related laws, so that's a saving of approx $2.2 million)
    - Tax Revenue has brought in $40.9 million (from recreational alone)
    - 9.5% drop in burglaries
    - 8.9% drop in overall property crime
    - "He said marijuana tax revenue had been able to pay for the costs of regulating the drug, and had funded programs intended to keep youth away from abusing substances such as alcohol and tobacco."

So, not only does it make a crap load of money, even with a 25% tax on it, it's still cheaper* than illegal weed, and there's room for the government to make more money off it if they changed the federal law (due to the disparities between the state and federal laws, producers cannot claim tax back on most normal expenses that every other business can), the production and supply cost can drop and tax can increase. It will not only drive the black market for cannabis out of business, it makes the country better and safer due to money being made available for rehabilitation and education.

*Average price of weed in Ireland is €50 for anything from 2.5g to 3.5g. In Colorado, the recreational price is €43 for 3.5g guaranteed (some shops sell 3.5g for €32!). Plus, you know what you're buying. The grow houses are not some shed out the back of Johnnys house, they're highly profitable, quality controlled growhouses with thousands of plants. They're not being mixed with anything to add weight, they're pure and safe. Even though the prices are only slightly lower than illegal prices, you're paying less for best quality. Also, and this is only from what i've heard, but buying in bulk off a dealer doesn't give you much extra (couple of extra grams). In Colorado, buying in ounces (28g) you make a hefty saving, with one store selling 3.5g for $55 and an ounce for $325 - that works out at $40 per 3.5g.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Choodefat

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Lad who works for Fm 104 is taking ecstasy live tonight.

Idiot.

If you really believed that was actually going to happen, well, then you would probably fit right in with the average IQ of their phoneshow callers..:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Have a read of this. If you don't want to read it, it's basically saying that in Colorado, since legalisation of cannabis:
    Oh, I did look at it. Did you? Follow the links on the page. Data comes from an advertisement from the "Drug Policy Alliance.

Now first of all, I'm not sure why any changes in crime statistics should automatically be attributed to the change in the marijuana laws. But if you want to do that, lets do that. So lets see.

http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/720/documents/statistics/2014/XCitywide_Reported_Offenses_2014.pdf
    Simple assault: up 20%
    Intimidation: up by 10%
    Crimes against the Person: up 10%
    Arson: up 35%
    Counterfeiting/ Forgery: up 14%
    Fraud: up 12%
    Stolen Property up 8%
    **Drug/Narcotic Violations: up 9.6%**
    Weapon Law Violations: up 38% [not a typo, it's thirty eight per-cent]
    Disorderly conduct/ breach of the peace: up 45% [also not a typo]
    Violation of restraining order: up 26%
    Criminal Trespass: up 44%
    All other offences: up 38%

There was a net increase in total crime.

Are you sure you still want to attribute these statistics to the legalisation?

But here's my favourite part.

Denver Police Department sees nearly 1,000% increase in marijuana seizures since 2011
    DENVER - Decriminalizing marijuana in Colorado has caused a different kind of high for Denver Police -- a high in the amount of marijuana the department is confiscating. It's up nearly 1,000 percent since 2011.

According to DPD records, police seized 8,092 pounds in 2014 compared to 937 in 2011.

"Colorado has become a source state for marijuana for the rest of the country," said Lt. James Henning, with DPD's Vice/Narcotics Bureau." In Colorado, the marijuana we grow here generally sells for $2,000 to $2,400 a pound. That same pound of marijuana, sold on the East Coast, is worth about $5,500 to $6,000."

Henning said that's causing people from all over the world to come to Colorado to grow.

"There's a lot of loopholes in the law right now," he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

If you genuinely think a few hours of these drugs being legal will lead to all the 'imbeciles killing themselves', then you are closer to a Darwin award than they are.

No i don't genuinely believe it.

One can dream however.

Oh, I did look at it. Did you? Follow the links on the page. Data comes from an advertisement from the "Drug Policy Alliance.

Now first of all, I'm not sure why any changes in crime statistics should automatically be attributed to the change in the marijuana laws. But if you want to do that, lets do that. So lets see.

http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/720/documents/statistics/2014/XCitywide_Reported_Offenses_2014.pdf
    Stolen Property up 8%

The key difference is that advocates for change did not and do not ever claim that legalisation of marijuana will lead to a reduction in violation of restraining orders, trespass, etc.

So that's not relevant.

For the old guard that refuse to consider a law change though, you don't need to look further than this very thread to find people claiming the world will end and anarchy will take over the streets if the drug laws are relaxed.

It doesn't and it didn't, and that is relevant due to the absurd claims made by the otherside before hand. Everything is fine.

You're really clutching at straws now.

You first said that the cost of implementing regulation would be prohibitive. That's been shown absolutely and completely NOT to be the case in Colorado and backed up with evidence in the previous post. Noticably no rebuttal from you on that matter.

Now you've moved onto people moving into Colorado to grow?

Very arguable whether that is a comparable social issue to the problems that come with full criminialisation anyway, but for a $40.9 million in tax take, $2.2 million in costs saved not enforcing pointless victimless crime and ~8,000 less people arrested.. I think we can safely say that for the Colorado, the few plants is worth it.

From your own link, it will be resolved by imposing a 36 plant limit but common sense tells me that to honest, it's going to resolved by the neighbouring states doing the same thing as Colorado has.

Similarly to what we already discussed, the black market is there due to illegality, in that case currently in the neighbouring states.

The rest of the states though seem to be following Colorado's lead and dropping criminalisation under the massive weight of common sense - Washington, Oregon and Alaska have already also legalised recreational use, with another 23 legalising medical use, the federal war on medical marijuana ending and now the Reform Bill in the Senate.

Then add Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Columbia, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Jamaica, Norway, etc etc.

What we're likely seeing is the death throes of marijuana prohibition, and posts like the above and CruelCoins being cries of the stubborn old faithful looking more and more desperate, as it comes to light that they taking were a wholly wrong approach all along.

It's just a matter of time. Probably a million years in backward Irelands case but still, change is happening out there slowly but surely.

Well, What's the body count this morning or is everyone still high?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Hoop66

VA;BSDFN eH?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Stolen Property up 8%

There was a net increase in total crime.

Are you sure you still want to attribute these statistics to the legalisation?

But here's my favourite part.

Denver Police Department sees nearly 1,000% increase in marijuana seizures since 2011

That's not the weeds fault, that's just a product that's worth more in one place than another.

Could be anything, for example people buying cigarettes in another country and smuggling them into Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

This will probably be one of the greatest intelligence gathering opportunities the Gardaí have ever had.

Advertisement