Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Lollipop 5.1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

corkie wrote: »
    Rooting will prevent the OTA from working (especially in lollipop).

See if you can flash the firmware(/factory image) see this guide.

Be warned your progress following that guide is at your own risk.

Many thanks. Will give this a go this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Android 5.1 OTA downloading on my Nexus 5 as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Alun wrote: »
    Android 5.1 OTA downloading on my Nexus 5 as we speak.

No joy here and literally just rebooted mine....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Fieldog wrote: »
    I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to what devices get updated and when.

First impressions are that it seems a little snappier, but I'll wait and see if it improves battery life at all.

Disappointed that the bug in Smart Lock stopping Trusted Places from working hasn't been fixed in the latest Google Play Services though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

If you're feeling adventurous, savvy and brave, just flash the images from Google, in Nexus5 its hammerhead

CAUTION: Backup everything first before proceeding as this will wipe everything. :cool:

• Advertisement

t0mm13b wrote: »
    If you're feeling adventurous, savvy and brave, just flash the images from Google, in Nexus5 its hammerhead

CAUTION: Backup everything first before proceeding as this will wipe everything. :cool:

I can flash it no bother, its been up weeks!

For once, I'm going to "wait like a norm" for it... :)

Pìssed off they haven't sorted out the memory leak properly, oh well, there's always 5.1.1.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Updated my S4 to lollipop and countless issues. Random freezes, back button doesn't work sometimes, games are sluggish and seem to lag. Very annoyed as I was gonna wait until issues were ironed out but curiosity got the better of me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

doncarlos wrote: »
    Updated my S4 to lollipop and countless issues. Random freezes, back button doesn't work sometimes, games are sluggish and seem to lag. Very annoyed as I was gonna wait until issues were ironed out but curiosity got the better of me

Updated to 5.1?

Updated to 5.1?

Hardly, its a Samsung.... :)

I assume he means 5.0.1 - I believe Samsung made a balls of the update on the S4...

I see a lot of people in my FB friends list whinging about LP, that's what you get for buying phones filled with Samsung bloatware....

In fairness the memory leak has been annoying, and I think that's what's pissing the majority of Sammy owners off....

Sure its still not sorted in 5.1, but has been fixed on the dev bug list, that's Googles fault though - not any manufacturer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

doncarlos wrote: »

Weird, I updated someone's Samsung S4 (GT-I9505 model) to 5.0.1 using Vodaphone's image via Odin and it seems fine.
    Naturally i did a factory reset afterwards, and cleared the cache, but no problems were reported on their S4 since. I plan on rooting their device over the weekend, so i will take another look at their device's performance then (interested to know how your devices performance was before factory reset compared to after)
    But let's not hijack this thread on 5.1...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Downloading 5.1 System update now. We will see if it fixes anything or breaks anything that isn't broken !

TallGlass wrote: »
    Downloading 5.1 System update now. We will see if it fixes anything or breaks anything that isn't broken !

Nexus 5?

The memory leak is better than it was, but still not perfect, phone will probably have to be powered on and off once a day until 5.2... :(

Nexus 5?

The memory leak is better than it was, but still not perfect, phone will probably have to be powered on and off once a day until 5.2... :(

Yup Nexus 5.

Memory leak? Can't say I have noticed. What are the symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I did the OTA update last night on my Nexus 5 & no obvious problems. I am not aware of any memory leak either.

Yup Nexus 5.

Memory leak? Can't say I have noticed. What are the symptoms?

The only way I've noticed it personally (currently on 5.0.1) is when I haven't powered down the phone in a few days, my keyboard goes mental!

It starts randomly throwing in words and repeating words as I type them, and then freezes for a split second...

I finally got around to looking into it on XDA I found out about the memory leak there with the exact symptoms I had experienced, it's also apparently happening on the tablets and the N4....

A simple reboot sorts it - it's just a small annoyance really! :)

It's a bug in the OS itself, but was only patched on the dev tree literally hours after the 5.1 image was posted...

That fix should be integrated for the next one though....

I'm interested to know will it effect other phones, and not just the Nexus range....

I thought that you meant the reported issue where the phone uses too much cpu.

Discodog wrote: »
    I did the OTA update last night on my Nexus 5 & no obvious problems. I am not aware of any memory leak either.

Here is one of the threads about it :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/general/android-5-1-memory-leak-t3053471

Discodog wrote: »
    I thought that you meant the reported issue where the phone uses too much cpu.

Didn't read about that, I wonder could the 2 be connected?

I had that keyboard error yesterday when trying to use this site. Reboot sorted it and that was on the 5.0. Bit of luck 5.1 will sort out the battery life make it a bit better.

I might be imagining things here but this new update seems to be using a lot more battery. Anyone else have this issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭corkie

:-)

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

I might be imagining things here but this new update seems to be using a lot more battery. Anyone else have this issue?

I just checked & it's using more than my screen. What's the difference between Android System & Android OS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Anyone else experiencing Chrome freezing while scrolling on 5.1? You'll be scrolling on a webpage and it'll freeze for about 5 seconds where touches on the screen don't register at all and then it just unfreezes.

I tried messing around with chrome://flags as suggested by a few articles but nothing has solved it.

Here's a thread on xda about it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/help/android-5-1-chrome-freezing-t3057023/page6

I'm running rooted 5.1 with Franco Kernel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

---

Choices..

"hammerhead" for Nexus 5 (GSM/LTE)

5.1.0 (LMY47D)

5.1.0 (LMY47I)

Do I go for LMY47I or LMY47D?

Running an unrooted Nexus 5. Imaging phone using Nexus Root Toolkit, as usual. (http://www.wugfresh.com/)

Amalgam wrote: »
    https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

---

Choices..

"hammerhead" for Nexus 5 (GSM/LTE)

5.1.0 (LMY47D)

5.1.0 (LMY47I)

Do I go for LMY47I or LMY47D?

Running an unrooted Nexus 5. Imaging phone using Nexus Root Toolkit, as usual. (http://www.wugfresh.com/)

Interesting...

I wonder why there is 2 of them?

Never normally is, could one have the memory leak sorted on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

5.1.0 (LMY47I) is the later verision.
    the D was r_1 and I is r_3 or something like that but yeah I is the later of teh two versions.

Seifer wrote: »
    Anyone else experiencing Chrome freezing while scrolling on 5.1? You'll be scrolling on a webpage and it'll freeze for about 5 seconds where touches on the screen don't register at all and then it just unfreezes.

I tried messing around with chrome://flags as suggested by a few articles but nothing has solved it.

Here's a thread on xda about it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/help/android-5-1-chrome-freezing-t3057023/page6

I'm running rooted 5.1 with Franco Kernel.

I am getting the freezing occasionally with Dolphin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭corkie

android-5-1-1-sdk-manager-640x480.jpg

Hints of Android 5.1.1 start popping up in Android SDK manager

Wasn't wrong when I posted the April fool yesterday!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

@Corkie

Funny that, saw it too on reddit,

Fingers crossed :)

• Advertisement

Ruh roh....

Advertisement