Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Lollipop 5.1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Yea, google geniuses removed 'full/complete' silent mode and added interruptions, just to make it a pain in the ass to put your phone on silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Have a Nexus 4 2012 and Nexus 7 2012, is this due out automatically via system updates or do I need to funk around with the OTA links above?

My Nexus 7 has died a bloody death in recent months with updates, and the interface becoming horrendously laggy and crappy. No major issues on my N4 mind you, running 5.0.1 at the moment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

TheDoc wrote: »
    Have a Nexus 4 2012 and Nexus 7 2012, is this due out automatically via system updates or do I need to funk around with the OTA links above?

My Nexus 7 has died a bloody death in recent months with updates, and the interface becoming horrendously laggy and crappy. No major issues on my N4 mind you, running 5.0.1 at the moment

My N7 was the same, just got the update for 5.1 last night and it seems okay so far. But 5.01 seemed okay at the start too but then it went to goal sh!t so we'll have to see after a few weeks use.

My N7 was the same, just got the update for 5.1 last night and it seems okay so far. But 5.01 seemed okay at the start too but then it went to goal sh!t so we'll have to see after a few weeks use.

Google support picked up a comment I made on twitter and has been helping me out which is great stuff consdering I didn't officially initiate contact with them.

Been trying things like safe mode and clearing caches and stuff, no real help.

I'll see if I get the update pushed when I get home this evening.

Granted my N7 has frustrated me considering I planned to play Blizzard Hearthstone on it, and its TERRIBLE performance wise, I have got into using it for comic and book reading, and it's even struggling lag wise at that.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Google support picked up a comment I made on twitter and has been helping me out which is great stuff consdering I didn't officially initiate contact with them.

Been trying things like safe mode and clearing caches and stuff, no real help.

I'll see if I get the update pushed when I get home this evening.

Granted my N7 has frustrated me considering I planned to play Blizzard Hearthstone on it, and its TERRIBLE performance wise, I have got into using it for comic and book reading, and it's even struggling lag wise at that.

Lol I'm surprised I refrained from smashing it into pieces. Not even kidding. One night it was so bad I felt getting my friends shotgun and blasting it to sh!t. The only positive I can say about lollipop so far is it's basically forced me to learn to be more patient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Lol I'm surprised I refrained from smashing it into pieces. Not even kidding. One night it was so bad I felt getting my friends shotgun and blasting it to sh!t. The only positive I can say about lollipop so far is it's basically forced me to learn to be more patient.

Is Facebook running on it? I removed it from my n7 and it made a huge difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The 2012 N7 is awful after the update, regardless of what apps are there. A factory reset makes a big difference after the initial Lollipop update.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The 2012 N7 is awful after the update, regardless of what apps are there. A factory reset makes a big difference after the initial Lollipop update.

It was ok for week or so, then went terrible.
    Everything was wiped clean before rom was installed.

Factory reset was also done. It became so laggy that I was going to flash it back to a custom 4.4. Took a punt and removed Facebook and it was flying again afterwards. Still is.

The Facebook app is a well known resource hog alright.

T-Bird wrote: »
    Is Facebook running on it? I removed it from my n7 and it made a huge difference.

No, don't really use FB enough to bother getting the app. Used to have it on my phone though and it's definitely a cause of lag on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Lollipop has been a nightmare from a app maintenance point of view. You get an incoming call and because of changes in how this is handled, your app continues happily playing music and sounds. Had to write a fix. Just have to update 200 apps now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    That happens when you swipe in from the right left.
    Try swiping up to unlock instead and it should work as normal.

You'll notice a little phone and camera icon at the bottom of the lock screen. Swiping in from that side opens the respective application.
    342329.png

What app are you using that gives you your network name on the top left of the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Walkman wrote: »
    What app are you using that gives you your network name on the top left of the screen

Thats standard in lollipop.

Does lollipop bring the network carrier back? Can it be hidden via options? I remember the Moto G had it and it was a pain in the ass until a later android version enabled it to be hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Thats standard in lollipop.

How do you activate it. I have a GS5 on lollipop and I've nothing on my screen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I've no idea. Maybe I should correct myself, I was presuming its standard on the basis that it's there on my CM12 rom as well.

This is for Moto G. Settings, more, mobile network, display mobile network.

Something similar may apply to your device.

Nexus 7 was lagging with lag this morning... Had enough of it, flashed to snapshot CM11....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

On[y received it on the nexus 10 via OTA earlier this week. Looks and working fine do far but it my tab I use the least at the mo. Will spend sometime digging deeper over next few days. Contemplating a full factory reset to give 7t a fair shot.

Nothing OTA for N4, N7 (2013 WiFi) or Nexus 9. Can any one clarify whether all nexus devices which already got 5.0.1 or 5.0.2 will get 5.1? Am familiar with how google stager and ramp up OTA deployments2nts .I am just impatient and want the nexus gear done before I start my OPO on Oxygen OS or latest CM version when they're released end of,March. Drives me crazy using slightly different OS on different android devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

On[y received it on the nexus 10 via OTA earlier this week. Looks and working fine do far but it my tab I use the least at the mo. Will spend sometime digging deeper over next few days. Contemplating a full factory reset to give 7t a fair shot.

Nothing OTA for N4, N7 (2013 WiFi) or Nexus 9. Can any one clarify whether all nexus devices which already got 5.0.1 or 5.0.2 will get 5.1? Am familiar with how google stager and ramp up OTA deployments2nts .I am just impatient and want the nexus gear done before I start my OPO on Oxygen OS or latest CM version when they're released end of,March. Drives me crazy using slightly different OS on different android devices.

Gran,

did you hear any other news on the nexus5 update? a page or so back you said you read of issues, i only saw a memory hog issue, is that the problem you had read?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I've no idea. Maybe I should correct myself, I was presuming its standard on the basis that it's there on my CM12 rom as well.
    T-Bird wrote: »
    This is for Moto G. Settings, more, mobile network, display mobile network.

Something similar may apply to your device.
    I've done nothing to enable it, it's always been there.

Nexus 4 running 5.0.1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

5.1 seemed great on my N7 2012 but after a very short while it turned it into a unusable pile of crap. Maybe if I leave it alone and charging for a while something magical will happen.

Well got 5.1 on my Nexus 7 WiFi(2012), still waiting for my phone.

Tablet definitely improved pretty quickly, but still this weird lag on it. It's frustrating, as my tablet get's minimum use, and has very little on it. Few apps, nothing major. Did a full cache clear, although tempted to do a factory reset and just go at it from scratch, see if it improves.

Did you do a factory reset on the initial upgrade to Lollipop ? I eventually did and it made a big difference and 5.1 has been fine so far too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Gran,

did you hear any other news on the nexus5 update? a page or so back you said you read of issues, i only saw a memory hog issue, is that the problem you had read?

It was the memory leak/memory hog issue reported on the usual for a when it was released for N5. Not sure whether resolved - haven't looked into it too much as don't have an N5. N10 working fine since update, doing well overall if you take its age into account!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Ugh, updated my HTC one m7 and now mirroring won't work with my smart tv at all. Was working fine before I got the update. Did a search but not much online about mirroring not working but I did see HTC are releasing a new mirror software for the m9 to replace the standard mirroring app or something but it's not for the m7.

So I guess now my phone can no longer mirror?

Anyone else having this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Ugh, updated my HTC one m7 and now mirroring won't work with my smart tv at all. Was working fine before I got the update. Did a search but not much online about mirroring not working but I did see HTC are releasing a new mirror software for the m9 to replace the standard mirroring app or something but it's not for the m7.

So I guess now my phone can no longer mirror?

Anyone else having this problem?
    is 5.1 available on the m7 already? Where would I get it for the M8?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

phill106 wrote: »
    is 5.1 available on the m7 already? Where would I get it for the M8?

No idea to be honest, downloaded it over my wifi. there is no sim card in my HTC one m7, I use a different phone with my sim so maybe it was directly from HTC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I rooted my Galaxy S4 with Towelroot (only needed root to enable LTE on the handset) but am now unable to update to Lollipop with the OTA update that arrived yesterday. It fails at 29% everytime.

Superuser app also crashes every time I try to unroot so that isn't an option.

Any suggestions on how to get around this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

I rooted my Galaxy S4 with Towelroot (only needed root to enable LTE on the handset) but am now unable to update to Lollipop with the OTA update that arrived yesterday. It fails at 29% everytime.

Superuser app also crashes every time I try to unroot so that isn't an option.

Any suggestions on how to get around this?

Rooting will prevent the OTA from working (especially in lollipop).

See if you can flash the firmware(/factory image) see this guide.

Be warned your progress following that guide is at your own risk.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Advertisement