Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Lollipop 5.1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I've just "dirty" flashed it over 5.0.2 to my 1st gen N7. Didn't have much time with it yet, but seems to be going fine and SuperSU v2.46 roots it just fine. Seems less laggy, but that may be down to having the cache cleared.

I think they slightly changed the dropdown shortcuts for Wi-fi, BT etc. from long press on/off back to short press. There also seems to be a further little dropdown arrow on the shortcut buttons (next to name of the Wi-fi router or connected BT device) that I think wasn't there before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Hopefully it has fixed the memory leak issue that caused apps to just close randomly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Can't believe the issues with 5.0 anyway, it's one of the biggest updates yet and it's caused nothing but stress while being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

duridian wrote: »
    I've just "dirty" flashed it over 5.0.2 to my 1st gen N7. Didn't have much time with it yet, but seems to be going fine and SuperSU v2.46 roots it just fine. Seems less laggy, but that may be down to having the cache cleared.

I think they slightly changed the dropdown shortcuts for Wi-fi, BT etc. from long press on/off back to short press. There also seems to be a further little dropdown arrow on the shortcut buttons (next to name of the Wi-fi router or connected BT device) that I think wasn't there before.

Nice work duridian, good to hear the old N7 works ok with it. My one is still on 4.4.4 so might get it onto 5.1 with a clean install!

I just got my N5 onto 5.0.1 on Sunday, after having it on 5.0 since November. Something in the OTA file kept failing, stating the BL version was incorrect or some other pile. I forgot I could use NRT to flash stock with no wipe. I might have to do the same to get to 5.1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I haven't had any major issues with 5.0.1. The worst I've seen is certain apps hijacking my lockscreen wallpaper.

Maybe I'm not using my phone right. :)

• Advertisement

My only issue with 5.0 was that I couldn't get it onto 5.0.1 :)
    That was more to do with the way I had it rooted, I think.

Some rare times apps would crap out for no reason, maybe once every 2-3 weeks for me.
    And the longer I used it, the worse battery life got, but I think that was because of the apps I was leaving run in the background, I don't blame the OS for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

5.0 was/is awful on my S5. All this talk of buttery smooth my arse.

Glanced at the change log and it looks like I experienced most of the problems that have been 'fixed'. Hoping all of the below are resolved.

- Silent mode added after missing on Android 5.0 (well done to the complete moron who thought it was a good idea to remove/amed this feature)
    - General improvements in system stability (phone locks up)
    - Improved RAM management
    - Fixes for sudden app closures
    - Improved battery management (appears to be a problem for every major release of Android)
    - Excessive consumption of network devices when used Wi-Fi fixed
    - Problems with Okay Google function solved
    - Notifications problems solved
    - Some sound problems experience by certain devices fixed (Nexus 4 has this issue)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Received notification on my Moto G, first gen, that it was getting ready for 5.0, should I postponed update till 5.1 is available for my device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Why no 5.1 for Nexus 7 2013 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Received notification on my Moto G, first gen, that it was getting ready for 5.0, should I postponed update till 5.1 is available for my device.

I'd imagine you'll need to go to 5.0 before it'll alert you of 5.1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Just announced over on blogspot, but not rich on changes from what I can see.

http://officialandroid.blogspot.ie/2015/03/android-51-unwrapping-new-lollipop.html

No factory images up as of right now either. Some images are live now.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Looks like a minor update to me, but might help iron out the bugs from 5.0 :)

Posted about it around the same time as yourself in an existing thread
    Why no 5.1 for Nexus 7 2013 ?

Or not available yet for the Nexus 9 either?

They will probably be released soon!

Updated my Nexus 7 (2012 Wifi) today, it is definitely more responsive than 5.0.2. I did a dirty upgrade of the factory images (no wipe mode) and also cleared my cache.

My nexus 7 is just mainly used as a chromecast remote these days, so haven't really put it to much use yet!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    I'd imagine you'll need to go to 5.0 before it'll alert you of 5.1.

While that may be true. If 5.0 is as bad as people are saying, I could postpone it till the verdict is in on 5.1 and it is available for my phone.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

please christ let this put manners on my N5

corkie wrote: »
    Posted about it around the same time as yourself in an existing thread

Yeah, maybe we should get the threads merged!
    I thought it might deserve it's own thread as it's a new release number, but maybe it doesn't! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Will this be OTA for Nexus 4?

I need silent mode back very, very badly.

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Yeah, maybe we should get the threads merged!
    I thought it might deserve it's own thread as it's a new release number, but maybe it doesn't! :)

I was think of starting a new thread on it last night, if I looked at forums properly last night I might have seen your thread, only found it today.

I edited my post and put a link to this thread.

It will be up to the Mods if they want to merge the threads!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

On Nexus 5: If I flash system, recovery and boot images will that give me 5.1 without wiping my data?
    Will I still have root after doing the above?
    And does it matter to the update process that I'm running FrancoKernel on 5.0 currently?

Seifer wrote: »
    On Nexus 5: If I flash system, recovery and boot images will that give me 5.1 without wiping my data?
    Will I still have root after doing the above?
    And does it matter to the update process that I'm running FrancoKernel on 5.0 currently?

As nobody else has replied! I don't have nexus 5 and haven't used custom kernels.

Flashing the above will work on most nexus devices.

You will lose root and your custom kernel since your flashing boot as well.

Note there is a New Franco Kernel available for 5.1

The Nexus Root Toolkit also has a no wipe mode, so you can keep your data. Using it you should be able to root again and flash the Boot/Kernel using NRT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I put it on my Nexus 7 2012 (from 5.02), will see how it goes over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Got it onto my Nexus 5 and the UI is noticeably snappier :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

While us Nexus 4 users are waiting for the official 5.1 rollout has anyone tried the unofficial build?
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-4/general/unofficial-android-5-1-mako-t3050844

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

A Neurotic wrote: »

Read somewhere that it doesn't have silent mode included. Nexus 4 will get the update.

OTA links now available Nexus 5, 6, 7(2012 wifi) and 10!

For does who have stock and unrooted devices and wish to manually update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Just got the notification that 5.1 has been pushed to my Nexus 7 (2012) downloading now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Hi guys, put 5.0.2 on my Moto G the other day. When I unlock the screen it goes straight to my dialler / call log. I can't find any way to change it.

Any suggestions please?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Reports that 5.1 not playing nicely with Nexus 5.
    N5 owners might want to do some digging before upgrading.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Got the OTA notification last night on my 2012 Nexus 7, have installed with no issue. Haven't tested it yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

_feedback_ wrote: »
    Hi guys, put 5.0.2 on my Moto G the other day. When I unlock the screen it goes straight to my dialler / call log. I can't find any way to change it.

Any suggestions please?!

That happens when you swipe in from the right left.
    Try swiping up to unlock instead and it should work as normal.

You'll notice a little phone and camera icon at the bottom of the lock screen. Swiping in from that side opens the respective application.
    342329.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Thanks very much!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

A Neurotic wrote: »

On the N4 - do you mean the way on silent it still vibrates, even when you don't want it to?

Advertisement