Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel embarrassed about healthy lifestyle

Options
123457»

Comments

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I didn't say otherwise.

But slow cookers don't always produce taste food. Often, actually!

And honestly, there's as much prep with slow cookers as with any other meal. You still have chop, peel, slice and all the other stuff that goes with cooking any other meal. So for someone who hates cooking, they aren't much of a timesaver and a lot of tedious stuff is the same.

I sound like I'm completely against them, but I just don't think they are the miracle people hold them up as.

I disagree :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Just to ask a slow cooker question. Ive always been a bit worried at the notion of leaving something on cooking food all day while I am out at work, in case of fire - is this not something youd worry about?

Also - what kind of a dinner would you put in one?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Just to ask a slow cooker question. Ive always been a bit worried at the notion of leaving something on cooking food all day while I am out at work, in case of fire - is this not something youd worry about?

I would have no problems leaving it - the key about a slow cooker is that it will not get hotter than 100 degrees, so nothing will stick and burn, and I'd be very surprised if it caused any fires. Provided the wiring in your house and the socket are ok ;)

The last thing I made was a lentil and bean chili, wihch turned out amazingly delicious.
    I would regularly use it to make black bean stew (recipe from a Venezuelan friend of mine), which is an absolute treat in burritos.

Calina wrote: »
    I might rephrase that:

stressing and obsessing about food health is probably not great for you either.

There's a balance to be found. From what I can read of the OP, a lot of his/her self esteem is bound up in his/her relationship with food.

My personal view is that you should aim to eat reasonably healthily and get some movement into your life. That doesn't always mean I will succeed, but it's a better cry than panicking because you haven't had an array of supplements during the day.

One of the thing I have noticed about a lot of self identifying healthy eaters is that they are obsessed about it.

I wonder whether that's all it's cracked up to be either.

I wouldn't take supplements, to be honest. As far as I'm aware, I have no medical need for them, and I wouldn't take them just for the fun of it.

You could say I obsess about food a little - but that's mostly because I love cooking and eating it. I've never been someone to whom food was just a necessity to get out of the way, it's a sensual experience. Well, if it's good food, that is ;)
    And I have found that what would be considered "healthy" food these days is just what I would call "yummy" food. Food that's flavoursome, satisfying and a pleasure to eat, while not making you feel stuffed, sluggish and bloated.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Slow cookers are the same kinda styley as one pot meals, just the length of time differs. Definitively good for beginners.
    I've seen what you can do Tar :D

Yeah I might give something like that a try this evening, my wife will think I've finally lost my marbles when I offer to cook dinner :p

Just thinking about it, my brother is a professional chef, and as far back as I can remember, as a child he always had an interest in cuisine and cooking, used make the Sunday dinners and all that kinda craic. I was always just more function over style when it comes to food and nutrition, but I was always envious of those people with a natural talent for it.

You have? Should i be scared :p
    Best of luck with it, make sure your wife is sitting when you break the news haha.
    I generally want things to be made fast, so the more ye do it the faster it is and I usually make enough so that you can eat it a few times. Stew and soup are the best, very easy and actually taste better then next day so it's not so bad making loads.

Maybe this would help people in the thread?

• Advertisement

Stew and soup are the best, very easy and actually taste better then next day so it's not so bad making loads.

True for every single chili and curry I've ever made. :)

Love that trailer, btw! I'd been thinking about getting that book

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah i think I'd like it too, got this book for my friend, it's really simple with lovely good and brilliant illustrations. Cookbook for stoners heh.
    http://leveganstoner.tumblr.com/cookbook

People don't have to make the whole meal difficult either, could just do a nice one pot side or something. One I made before that was lovely was just throwing all this in a pot: Potatoes cooked in a bottle of ale, almond milk, nutritional yeast, parsley, garlic, shallots, scallions. Don't need all that, the ale and potatoes alone together are lovely. Maybe not so healthy :D
    Then roasted corn on the cob, mixed butter with chilli and lime to put on it. Very easy to spice things up.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

They are designed specifically to be plugged in all day long in an empty house.

Pulled pork and Mongolian Beef Stew are two that are delicious. (though use ordinary or low salt soy sauce in the latter otherwise it'll get a bit salty, and just cut carrots in big chunks for less hassle. I add mushrooms too)

This thread has loads of recipes. If you google slow cooker recipes (they call it a crock pot in the US, you'll find heaps and heaps of ideas. I even came across a blog where she preps 40 meals in 4 hours, bags them up and freezes them but that's wayyy too Domestic-Goddessey for me :pac:

Neyite wrote: »
    They are designed specifically to be plugged in all day long in an empty house.

Pulled pork and Mongolian Beef Stew are two that are delicious. (though use ordinary or low salt soy sauce in the latter otherwise it'll get a bit salty, and just cut carrots in big chunks for less hassle. I add mushrooms too)

This thread has loads of recipes. If you google slow cooker recipes (they call it a crock pot in the US, you'll find heaps and heaps of ideas. I even came across a blog where she preps 40 meals in 4 hours, bags them up and freezes them but that's wayyy too Domestic-Goddessey for me :pac:

Cheers.

I presume they have some kind of timer so you can set them to cook for 4 or 5 hours (you know, as Id be gone from before 8 til after 6)?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Cheers.

I presume they have some kind of timer so you can set them to cook for 4 or 5 hours (you know, as Id be gone from before 8 til after 6)?

Some do. Mine doesn't but I put it on low at 8 in the morning and turn it off when I come home at 6. They hold in the moisture so don't dry out, and a long slow cooking makes tough meats extremely tender.

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    Some do. Mine doesn't but I put it on low at 8 in the morning and turn it off when I come home at 6. They hold in the moisture so don't dry out, and a long slow cooking makes tough meats extremely tender.

Do you not just end up with a soggy meal doing that?

Do you not just end up with a soggy meal doing that?

Well its usually a wet meal, like stews, casserole, curries that I've done in it so far - I'm really only a newbie at it. But say for instance if you were doing pulled port, which is a shoulder of pork and quite tough, you can lift it out as a very tender joint, so I'd imagine that doing a roast beef or other joint might work out well too.

I want to try soups too. Actually I think I'll make it my mission to do more of that list in TCC I linked above.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Cheers.

Some do, some don't. When I had one with no integrated timer I just used one of the timer sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NotInventedHere

lufties wrote: »
    So I'm a healthy eater, vegetables, quinoa, organic, coconut oil etc etc. I do yoga, don't drink, don't smoke. (I wasn't always like this).

I've noticed how unhealthy people I work with eat and when they observe my eating habits(especially work colleagues), I get reactions that make me feel uncomfortable or that I'm being 'all uppidy', hipster, perhaps even a bit snobbish :rolleyes:

Anyone else experience this?

Humblebrag!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

The word "Mindfullness" was also used in a context that they practice it :pac:

Advertisement