Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel embarrassed about healthy lifestyle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

OP - do you regularly post about your healthy habits on social media (Facebook, Instagram, etc)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    OP - do you regularly post about your healthy habits on social media (Facebook, Instagram, etc)?

No I'm not on any social networking sites.

Shower of bollocks-faces.

I've always eaten fairly healthily, even as a student (though I drank and smoked like a drinking, smoking fish from hell) and was the only one in my flat boiling up some veg to put with my frozen fish and not eating those jambon things from Centra. The only iffy reaction I've gotten is when I've refused takeaway, chips and burgers or McDonalds and that kinda stuff - I just don't eat it as I don't like it, even as a treat. Don't care if others do and don't judge but I'd rather make a chickpea curry with mango chutney or a big bowl of spicy veggie stew or something than eat any of it. Some people find that hard to get their heads round.

I work with middle aged English Neanderthals mainly, so they would eat **** off a stick if it was cheap and tasted ok.

SadieSue wrote: »
    My inlaws used to always give me guff for being a vegetarian. :rolleyes:
    I don't care what anyone else eats but sometimes people feel the need to comment.

You would think that in 2015 people would be more informed about the importance of what you eat and how it affects you. Especially with all the statistics and info out there about heart disease and cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

One thing I notice when I ate healthy and was working. When ever I ate the canteen food, colleague demanded to know what I thought of the quality of the food. It could be a real pain in the ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

LorMal wrote: »
    I read a quote last week "I've only been gluten free for a week now and I'm already annoying"

Grrr, this trend for going gluten free is really p***ing me off. When eating out, and enquiring about gluten free options, I get the look, like I'm some sort of smug Gwyneth Paltrow type. I'm coeliac, for fecks sake, and would be stuffing me face with Jaffa Cakes and Fig Rolls if I could. Fair play to OP for doing their own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

As the meme says 'everyone becomes a dietician when they find out you're a vegetarian.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

lufties wrote: »
    Try lucy bees extra virgin coconut oil. You can get it on amazon. I live in london so I don't know where you'd get it in ireland. I put it in stir frys or curries mainly.

10 pound for coconut oil. :eek:

Any recommendations for a place to get good quinoa? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Sometimes people who eat healthy can be preachy about it. Not saying op is but some get very involved in their diet and forget nobody else gives a toss.
    I don't give a fiddlers about someones salad but if they start preaching about all the salt that's in my sliced pan or how bad everything is for you then I'm going to be irritated by their salad munching ways.

I'd a lecture at lunch one day about how lettuce has no nutritional value. I didn't ask the question so shut up. Same person also bemoaned how another person's convenient lunch must be either high in fat or salt. Paleo diet is the way forward dontcha know.
    People shouldn't criticise other people's food either way.

I sat wanting to throw my twirl. It can work both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

So I'm a healthy eater, vegetables, quinoa, organic, coconut oil etc etc. I do yoga, don't drink, don't smoke. (I wasn't always like this).

I've noticed how unhealthy people I work with eat and when they observe my eating habits(especially work colleagues), I get reactions that make me feel uncomfortable or that I'm being 'all uppidy', hipster, perhaps even a bit snobbish :rolleyes:

Anyone else experience this?
    Its a bit of a blue collar, male dominated, unsophisticated workplace.
    I work with middle aged English Neanderthals mainly, so they would eat **** off a stick if it was cheap and tasted ok.

Nope, can't think of any reason at all why anyone would think you're uppity or snobbish... :rolleyes:

I've worked in various careers over the years and no, it's not too often anyone ever comments on my dietary habits, probably because I was lucky enough to work with like minded people who ate what they ate and I ate what I ate and we all got on well with each other.

I got a bit of a slagging alright for green tomato sauce I bought around Paddy's weekend, though admittedly it did look a bit weird, and then I got it pointed out to me recently that you're not supposed to eat oranges with the skin on, and they've been trying to get me to reduce my sugar intake in my coffee.

I work with a couple of girls who know their stuff about health and fitness and looking good so when they start talking about diets and training sessions I tune out, that's the stuff they're interested in, same way they tune out when I'm trying to explain to them how to do stuff on the computers, that's my thing!

We slag each other about stuff and we have a laugh, and we all look out for each other, but tbh about it lufties your workplace dynamic sounds utterly toxic for you from what I've read of your previous threads here. No point in eating healthy when you're not thinking healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Only been here a short while but jesus english food is bad (even) compared to ireland unless your buying it from an ethnic, trendy or posh place. The "bad" takeaway stuff isn't even tasty and I would love my junk

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I also try to eat healthy. Not extreme but make my own sandwiches in work everyday as I find it nicer, healthier and more enjoyable than stuff you can buy in and then has the added advantage of being cheaper.
    I refuse to take comments about what I eat seriously from people who think eating a packet of crisps every day with lunch is a normal diet.

You would think that in 2015 people would be more informed about the importance of what you eat and how it affects you. Especially with all the statistics and info out there about heart disease and cancer.

And loads of the extremely healthy eaters are getting cancer and other things aswell.

About two years ago I cut a load of stuff out of my diet and lost a few stone, it was extremely tiresome and hard work so in the end I just went back eating the food I enjoy. Yeah I put back on 3/4 of the weight but now I look forward to dinner and lunch again and as a person who loves eating the times I wasn't really looking forward to a meal was a very strange experience.

The almost looking down on people who buy their lunch is also quite tiresome to read, especially as lunch bringers are in the minority. Making lunch is just something some people have no interest in and going for lunch is part of their routine. I bring lunch sometimes but buy it just as often and so what if I spend a few quid on it, a bought lunch is always nicer and there is a lot worse things I could be spending money on.

If you want to bring lunch bring it, if you want to buy it then buy it but no need to pass comment on other peoples way of doing things and dont forget when you bring lunch you spend more in your weekly shop so its not like its free bringing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

My husband recently lost quite a bit of weight (wasn't particularly large to start with though) Now hes really slim and starting to build muscle but a lot of the people he works with keep telling him he's too slim and he's lost too much weight, "its not healthy". I wonder if he had gotten fat would they be saying "You're too fat, you've piled it on". Probably not! It's just because overweight is the norm these days and people are insecure about it.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I try to bring in a healthy lunch a few times a week, and only one person is pass-remarkable about my lunch. Said person never shuts up about what foods disagree with them, or what they cant eat, has a fairly unhealthy diet and doesn't exercise.

I get my revenge by baking something lovely to be shared in the office and saying in front of everyone "Oh, this has X and Y in it, that doesn't agree with you, remember?" with a saccharine smile. Sowwy!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

My husband recently lost quite a bit of weight (wasn't particularly large to start with though) Now hes really slim and starting to build muscle but a lot of the people he works with keep telling him he's too slim and he's lost too much weight, "its not healthy". I wonder if he had gotten fat would they be saying "You're too fat, you've piled it on". Probably not! It's just because overweight is the norm these days and people are insecure about it.

That's because in Ireland the norm now is to be overweight and you are deemed unhealthy if you are a normal healthy weight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm nowhere near the "you're losing too much weight" weight yet, but I am aiming for it.

That said, the comments I usually get range from the "Oh, fancy health food again" to the rather condescending "I don't know how you find the time to always make your own food".

What particularly annoys me is the (very few) people in our office who will, without fail, go out and buy lunch every single day, only to then tell you they've no idea how they will pay the bills at the end of the month while tucking into a €10 lunch.
    I don't mind what you eat, I really don't care, but don't expect me to feel sorry for you throwing money out the window and then wondering where it went.

And no, I'm not eating my own food because it's healthy, I eat it because I much perfer the taste of it to anything ready-made. That it doesn't make me feel over-full and bloated for the afternoon is just an added bonus.

a bought lunch is always nicer

I don't agree that a bought lunch is always nicer than a homemade lunch. I suppose it depends on whether or not you can cook, or whether you put effort into your food. And of course, where you're eating!!! A skanky ham sandwich isn't going to be as nice as lunch in Roly's or something.

Today though, I have (home) baked salmon, and salad with lettuce, avocado, cherry tomatoes, grapes, apple, and peppers. I had strawberries and greek yogurt for break. In the work restaurant, trying to eat a nice salmon salad would be impossible, and the yogurts are filled with sugar. The closest you'd get to strawberries would be in a kind of syrup. So I stick with bringing my own. Tomorrow I'll have leftover turkey mince chilli and it will be much nicer and healthier than most things I could buy on my lunch hour.

I totally get why people buy lunch every day, don't get me wrong, I've done it myself for years, until I realised I much prefer my own food!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

One of the reasons I bring lunch is to avoid waste - we often have left overs from the dinner so I bring them as lunch to work - theres a microwave so can heat things up. I mostly make dinners from scratch too so its usually a wholesome portion of something.

In the summer, when the meals are less hearty, I usually try to bring salad lunches some days. Have had some commentary alright, doesnt bother me.

If I buy a lunch I am far more likely to buy something less healthy than if I prepare it. I dont really like bought lunches anyway as I prefer to know whats in my food.

I ate less healthily in my last job where we had a subsidised canteen - I never brought lunch and often did not get the healthy option!!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

a bought lunch is always nicer and there is a lot worse things I could be spending money on.

Depends on what you buy ;). I think that pre-made sandwiches are always tasteless and soggy, but if I get one made up in a deli, its far nicer. But I also like to cook so enjoy putting together a lunch with the foods that I know I'll love and I look forward to it all morning.

I'm not organised enough to do it every day, but I try to do it a few times a week at least.

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    Depends on what you buy ;). I think that pre-made sandwiches are always tasteless and soggy, but if I get one made up in a deli, its far nicer. But I also like to cook so enjoy putting together a lunch with the foods that I know I'll love and I look forward to it all morning.

I'm not organised enough to do it every day, but I try to do it a few times a week at least.

Said it on the other thread just now - I really don't like sandwiches all that much. The ratio of too much bread on the outside vs. too few vegetables and taste on the inside is just all wrong to me, no matter if they're packaged or made at the deli counter.

The one exception to me would be subway - they just about fit in enough veg :) But there isn't one near where I work, so that's a weekend treat at best.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The thought of ever eating from the deli again is depressing. Did that for long enough!
    I do get very lazy though, but then I buy something like a lentil stew or mixed bean soup.
    Sandwiches are a no!

I was in the UK recently and I was well jealous of the lunch options in the local Tesco Express - all sorts of exciting salads with things like sprouted beans, quinoa, noodles, pesto, rocket, lentil and various other different options.

I checked my local Centra yesterday and they had "Ham Salad" which had a bit of ham, a bit of coleslaw, a green bit and some soggy white pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

a bought lunch is always nicer

Gotta disagree with you there; unless you're going to a café or restaurant a brought lunch will always be nicer (unless you can't cook). And if you're going out to a restaurant every day then Jaysus, I wish I had a job where I could afford to spend E50-80 on lunches - that's about my weekly food budget!

I bring leftovers from dinner like savoury mince and rice, soups, stews, roast chicken in salad, baked potatoes and fillings, stuff to make fajitas, and it's a billion times better than going to the shop for a sandwich of crap bread spread with margarine and with stale cheese, congealing coleslaw, tasteless and limp lettuce, and meat that's been exposed to the air since 7am and has started to go hard. Or the fantastic selection of 2 things that can be microwaved (and could actually be called a filling meal). All of which has to be gotten either on my way to work (meaning I have to get up earlier) or at lunch time (meaning that by the time I've walked to the shop, decided what I want, queued up to order, queued up to pay for, and walked back I barely have time to eat it).

Make enough of something like chilli or chicken stew to feed an army, portion it up and stick it in the freezer. Then you just take out whatever you fancy the night before so it can thaw, stick it in a Tupperware box and away you go.

Very occasionally I'll spend a weekend cooking 4 or 5 different big meals and that'd work out to, say, 6 portions each of 5 meals: 30 days of lunches for a fraction of what it'd cost you to buy, and not even necessarily healthy if you don't want. Then cook a different large meal every weekend and you'll have a never run out of cheap, tasty lunches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I rarely bring lunch to work because I'm like a toddler with food, by the time I'm sitting in the office with a nice home-cooked curry or stir-fry in the work fridge I'm like "I don't want that!' and will scout over to M&S and buy myself one of their pretty salads for four quid instead.

Buying lunch out doesn't have to equate to subsisting on stodge, I'm probably spoilt for choice though coz I live in central London and am surrounded by lovely salad bars and vegan/vegetarian stop-offs. I'd consider myself pretty healthy and I live on this stuff.

I hate people commenting on my food generally but can't say I notice any "healthy-living-shaming" going on any more than "oooh, what ya got there?" Which to be fair I'm probably guilty of myself.

That all said, I don't trust people who won't ever get involved when there's cake / cupcakes / pastries doing the rounds in the office. Or will whine away about how many calories are in it and how many miles they'll have to do on the treadmill in penance. Shut the fcuk up and eat the cake, like.

IT'S FREE CAKE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

beks101 wrote: »

That all said, I don't trust people who won't ever get involved when there's cake / cupcakes / pastries doing the rounds in the office. Or will whine away about how many calories are in it and how many miles they'll have to do on the treadmill in penance. Shut the fcuk up and eat the cake, like.

IT'S FREE CAKE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

I'd never say no to free cake (unless it's cupcakes - yuck!), but I find most of the time I'd be the one supplying it ;):P

kylith wrote: »
    Gotta disagree with you there; unless you're going to a café or restaurant a brought lunch will always be nicer (unless you can't cook). And if you're going out to a restaurant every day then Jaysus, I wish I had a job where I could afford to spend E50-80 on lunches - that's about my weekly food budget!

I bring leftovers from dinner like savoury mince and rice, soups, stews, roast chicken in salad, baked potatoes and fillings, stuff to make fajitas, and it's a billion times better than going to the shop for a sandwich of crap bread spread with margarine and with stale cheese, congealing coleslaw, tasteless and limp lettuce, and meat that's been exposed to the air since 7am and has started to go hard. Or the fantastic selection of 2 things that can be microwaved (and could actually be called a filling meal). All of which has to be gotten either on my way to work (meaning I have to get up earlier) or at lunch time (meaning that by the time I've walked to the shop, decided what I want, queued up to order, queued up to pay for, and walked back I barely have time to eat it).

Make enough of something like chilli or chicken stew to feed an army, portion it up and stick it in the freezer. Then you just take out whatever you fancy the night before so it can thaw, stick it in a Tupperware box and away you go.

Very occasionally I'll spend a weekend cooking 4 or 5 different big meals and that'd work out to, say, 6 portions each of 5 meals: 30 days of lunches for a fraction of what it'd cost you to buy, and not even necessarily healthy if you don't want. Then cook a different large meal every weekend and you'll have a never run out of cheap, tasty lunches

I dont like "dinner food" for lunch so only have it occasionally.That sort of stuff is for the evening, especially as I dont like eating two dinners in the day. Much prefer sandwiches, rolls, salad or soup etc for lunch and sandwiches and rolls in particular are far far nicer from a deli or subway than anything you can make at home yourself. Soup probably not alright.

I do prepare stuff sometimes and bring it and I count it a lot of work and would prefer to eb relaxing in the evening that preparing lunches and I don't really cook at all at weekends except frys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Bah. Those type of critical comments always come from the least healthy specimens of human so dont really mean very much.

Its a bit like someone trying to convince you to smoke a cigarette.

I don't really cook at all at weekends except frys.

Im amazed and mildly jealous at this.

I literally spend 5 hours cooking on a Sunday!! The Sunday dinner, Mondays dinner, scones for the week, meat for lunches during the week........

I dont have frys though, not for years, if I consumed that much fat in one sitting Id be puking for days. The worst I go now is grilled sausages on a brown pitta bread :)

• Advertisement

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Im amazed and mildly jealous at this.

I literally spend 5 hours cooking on a Sunday!! The Sunday dinner, Mondays dinner, scones for the week, meat for lunches during the week........

I dont have frys though, not for years, if I consumed that much fat in one sitting Id be puking for days. The worst I go now is grilled sausages on a brown pitta bread :)

Well I do grill everything bar the eggs, I use the word fry to mean the content.

But no I almost never cook on weekends aside from breakfasts, I'm either up home so get meals cooked for me (in which case I don't even have to cook breakfast :)) or I get takeaway or eat out fri, sat and sunday. I'd usually be out anyway at the pub or whatever at least one of the weekend nights so wouldn't even be at home to cook.

Advertisement