Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel embarrassed about healthy lifestyle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    The OP has made comments alluding to the lack of sophistication and intellect of his co-workers. It wouldn't surprise me if this attitude comes across to his colleagues in some way. People can be quite perceptive, hell even the "blue collars" lufties appears to be looking down his nose at!

I get on with everyone actually, and was recently pointed out in my review with my supervisor how I get on with all the lads from the feedback he got.

Less of your ****ing snide remarks would mucho appreciated ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

lufties wrote: »
    I get on with everyone actually, and was recently pointed out in my review with my supervisor how I get on with all the lads from the feedback he got.

Less of your ****ing snide remarks would mucho appreciated ;)

They're not snide comments. You have actually, in this very thread, referred to your co-workers as "unsophisticated" and "neanderthals". Maybe your co-workers are oblivious to your true views on them. Then again, maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Maybe your co-workers are oblivious to your true views on them. Then again, maybe not.
    Honesty is the best policy?!...

I'm out, night ya'll...be kind to each other ;)

lufties wrote: »
    Thats the thing..Pizza from dominos or 4 star does NOT make you feel good. Try make a homemade one from scratch..much better.

Or get proper pizza from an Italian restaurant with a proper pizza oven which will be far far superior to anything you make at home (and dominos and 4 star also).

To be honest I never get "its much nicer to make your own". There is virtually nothing (bar maybe irish breakfasts and sunday roasts) that I can make anywhere near as nice as you can get in a restaurant or good take away. Also personally I always find food is that bit more pleasurable when you dont have to put in the effort of cooking it yourself.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

There is virtually nothing (bar maybe irish breakfasts and sunday roasts) that I can make anywhere near as nice as you can get in a restaurant or good take away.

Depends on how well you can cook, or the restaurant. I regularly cook meals that rival or even exceed what would be on offer in a lot of restaurants.
    wrote:
    Also personally I always find food is that bit more pleasurable when you dont have to put in the effort of cooking it yourself.

Sometimes. But when you pull off an amazing meal, and impress your guests, there is a lot of satisfaction in that. My Christmas dinner was the best my partner and I ever ate. Even the trifle was made from scratch, and far superior to packet jelly and birds custard versions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Or get proper pizza from an Italian restaurant with a proper pizza oven which will be far far superior to anything you make at home (and dominos and 4 star also).

To be honest I never get "its much nicer to make your own". There is virtually nothing (bar maybe irish breakfasts and sunday roasts) that I can make anywhere near as nice as you can get in a restaurant or good take away. Also personally I always find food is that bit more pleasurable when you dont have to put in the effort of cooking it yourself.

Truth be told, I find a lot of restaurant food disappointing. I quite often leave feeling cheated as I was charged a lot of money for something I could really have easily made a lot better at home.
    Thankfully, there are a few exceptions, just not enough. We do try new restaurants regularly, and occasionally find new good ones.

These days, I get much more excitied about finding a new recipe than finding a new restaurant.

There is virtually nothing (bar maybe irish breakfasts and sunday roasts) that I can make anywhere near as nice as you can get in a restaurant or good take away.

Sucks to be you!

Sucks to be you!

I have no problem saying I don't enjoy cooking, in fact I very much dislike it and only do it as its a necessity during the week to eat somewhat healthier and not spend crazy amounts of money. Friday, sat and sunday however I am very happy to do no cooking and eat at home, eat out or get takeaway. If I'm having dinner with people I have it in a restaurant, I've never personally had people over for dinner nor would most of my friends be into that sort of thing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Sucks to be you!

:D

It genuinely does though in a way when I read through a thread like this and I see people getting all excited about food and their accomplishments and stuff, and I'm thinking "I can't even boil a frickin' egg without burning it!" (the water evaporated with boiling because I wasn't keeping an eye on it :o).

I did manage to make some fine looking fajitas there a few years back, and they tasted good too, the end result looked exactly like the photo in the cookbook, quartered tomatoes and lettuce for decoration and all, quite proud of myself for that alright, lol, but it took me hours to do between the prepping and the getting it perfect and everything else.

One thing about eating out, ok you don't get that same sense of achievement, but you also don't run the risk of poisoning anyone, and when you can't cook or simply don't want to make the effort, have no interest in cooking, it's better than just simply a marmalade sandwich where the priority is simply filling a gap! :D

I do sometimes wish I could cook, but I'm genuinely too lazy to learn, and not interested or passionate enough to learn how to do it to the standard of some of the posters here :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I dunno, all these people who cant cook/dont cook - ye must all be loaded to be able to afford not to be cooking for yourself!

For me its a financial necessity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Ive watched too many very healthy eaters, very clean livers that i know get cancer anyway.

You have to die of something, might as well enjoy yourself even a little while you're here, instead of being a miserable sod with a sparkling colon.

It's not about living forever, it's about quality of life. Being fit feels awesome. I can throw my body at challenges and it sails through them. The lengths I've seen some people go to to avoid anything strenuous is amazing. I can think of nothing more miserable than having an unhealthy body that I have to heft around all day every day, however long I lived.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It genuinely does though in a way when I read through a thread like this and I see people getting all excited about food and their accomplishments and stuff, and I'm thinking "I can't even boil a frickin' egg without burning it!" (the water evaporated with boiling because I wasn't keeping an eye on it :o).

I did manage to make some fine looking fajitas there a few years back, and they tasted good too, the end result looked exactly like the photo in the cookbook, quartered tomatoes and lettuce for decoration and all, quite proud of myself for that alright, lol, but it took me hours to do between the prepping and the getting it perfect and everything else.

One thing about eating out, ok you don't get that same sense of achievement, but you also don't run the risk of poisoning anyone, and when you can't cook or simply don't want to make the effort, have no interest in cooking, it's better than just simply a marmalade sandwich where the priority is simply filling a gap! :D

I do sometimes wish I could cook, but I'm genuinely too lazy to learn, and not interested or passionate enough to learn how to do it to the standard of some of the posters here :o

Plenty of simple stuff to begin with, start with "one pot" meals where you just throw everything together and let it simmer away. Easy and delicious.

Or something simple and delicious like this
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-eLFINTgi6t4/UWTWa9zEqWI/AAAAAAAAGBw/m9l2VVK7EyE/s1600/TheVeganStoner-PeanutStew.jpg

It's just the right simple recipes you need at first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Zillah wrote: »
    It's not about living forever, it's about quality of life. Being fit feels awesome. I can throw my body at challenges and it sails through them. The lengths I've seen some people go to to avoid anything strenuous is amazing. I can think of nothing more miserable than having an unhealthy body that I have to heft around all day every day, however long I lived.

I genuinely dont feel any different than I did 10 years ago and in that time Ive quit smoking, gotten fit, rehabbed an old injury and had sinus problems repaired.

Being fit only feels different when doing something strenuous, ordinary daily life feels the same - to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

That sounds like a personal issue for you then...

Plenty of simple stuff to begin with, start with "one pot" meals where you just throw everything together and let it simmer away. Easy and delicious.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-eLFINTgi6t4/UWTWa9zEqWI/AAAAAAAAGBw/m9l2VVK7EyE/s1600/TheVeganStoner-PeanutStew.jpg

Slow cookers.

Fcuk everything listed on the recipe into it in the morning, dinner ready in the evening, you can't mess it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Slow cookers.

Fcuk everything listed on the recipe into it in the morning, dinner ready in the evening, you can't mess it up.

That's not very nice, they just need more practice and confidence

I've seen what you can do Tar :D

Yeah I might give something like that a try this evening, my wife will think I've finally lost my marbles when I offer to cook dinner :p

Just thinking about it, my brother is a professional chef, and as far back as I can remember, as a child he always had an interest in cuisine and cooking, used make the Sunday dinners and all that kinda craic. I was always just more function over style when it comes to food and nutrition, but I was always envious of those people with a natural talent for it.

Slow cookers.

There's a bit more to it than that, slow cooker meals can come out as tasteless slop.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I've had basic cooking skills, but a couple of years ago began to try a new dish from the cooking club here. Whatever took my fancy really, I'd paste the ingredients list into my notes on my phone so I could easily call it up when in the supermarket, get the stuff and try it out.

Last nights dinner was Tarragon Chicken: Night before, marinade chicken with 4 ingredients. Stick in fridge. Last night I take out the chicken, brown it, add in a carton of cream and stick in the oven. Serve with baby boiled potatoes and green beans. Savage and simple.

I've seen what you can do Tar :D

Yeah I might give something like that a try this evening, my wife will think I've finally lost my marbles when I offer to cook dinner :p

Just thinking about it, my brother is a professional chef, and as far back as I can remember, as a child he always had an interest in cuisine and cooking, used make the Sunday dinners and all that kinda craic. I was always just more function over style when it comes to food and nutrition, but I was always envious of those people with a natural talent for it.

Any kind of one-pot stew thing is a good starting point, you can add the seasoning gradually and keep tasting until you're happy with it.

Just remember to keep tasting ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Where do ye all work!? When I eat salads etc or refuse cake/biscuits people would ask about it but the would definitely not be snobby about it, to be honest I would get a lot more "fair play to you" than anything else.

Possibly unfair without context: I am 5'9 and 14 stone which is overweight, but I am losing it (was over 16 stone this time last year)

I am a lot like the OP, don't drink, smoke, eat healthy and only drink water. At the same time I'm 34 and I look 24 so f^&k all the haters. If they are so conceited as to look down on me for healthy choices then forget them.

To be honest, I can't stand the "fair play to you", every time I go out it's all I hear is why am I not drinking when I explain I've been sober for 13 year all I ever hear is "fair play to ya, I couldn't do it". Yeah you could, you just don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Eat what you like, drink what you like & fúck anyone who has a problem with it...

Eat drink & be merry, for tomorrow we die...

We should enjoy life as much as possible, because it will all be over soon.

Unfortunatly in reality you dont die tomorrow(!), what will happen is that one spends the last twenty years of ones life, dealing with disability, side effects of various medications and sickness.

The idea of Healthy Living is to be at close to 90% up until the day you drop dead, *whether thats at 55 years old or 105 years old), and not spending the last quarter of your life having your nappies changed by some underpaid hospital intern.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Unfortunatly in reality you dont die tomorrow(!), what will happen is that one spends the last twenty years of ones life, delaing with disability, side effects of various medications and sickness.

The idea of Healthy Living is to be at close to 90% up until the day you drop dead, *whether thats at 55 years old or 105 years old), and not spending the last quarter of your life having your nappies changed by some underpaid hospital intern.

There are no guarantees either which way, however you want to paint it.

Calina wrote: »

No guarantees, but probabilities.

Absolutely. No guarantees.

Exactly. I mentioned her before here recently my wife's gran-aunt who celebrated her 101st birthday a few months back, and while some posters here are focused on healthy living, she would just call living. She still goes out on the farm, feeding her chickens, goes into town on her own for the bit of shopping, plays a bit of bridge, essentially she lives a pretty stress-free life and she's always in good humour (cracks me up anyway :D).

There's a bit more to it than that, slow cooker meals can come out as tasteless slop.

Food can come out of anything as tasteless crap.

Slow cookers make life easier for folk who don't have a natural ability to produce tasty food.

and while some posters here are focused on healthy living, she would just call living.

Because back in her day there wasnt much choice. You ate what was produced locally and you worked.

For instance I wonder how much sugar and melted processed cheese she was consuming daily as she grew up in the 1920's?

Food can come out of anything as tasteless crap.

I didn't say otherwise.
    Slow cookers make life easier for folk who don't have a natural ability to produce tasty food.

But slow cookers don't always produce taste food. Often, actually!

And honestly, there's as much prep with slow cookers as with any other meal. You still have chop, peel, slice and all the other stuff that goes with cooking any other meal. So for someone who hates cooking, they aren't much of a timesaver and a lot of tedious stuff is the same.

I sound like I'm completely against them, but I just don't think they are the miracle people hold them up as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Shenshen wrote: »
    No guarantees, but probabilities.

I might rephrase that:

stressing and obsessing about food health is probably not great for you either.

There's a balance to be found. From what I can read of the OP, a lot of his/her self esteem is bound up in his/her relationship with food.

My personal view is that you should aim to eat reasonably healthily and get some movement into your life. That doesn't always mean I will succeed, but it's a better cry than panicking because you haven't had an array of supplements during the day.

One of the thing I have noticed about a lot of self identifying healthy eaters is that they are obsessed about it.

I wonder whether that's all it's cracked up to be either.

Advertisement