Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-01-2009, 23:08   #1
elainee40

Slow Cooker recipes

Hi all,

Ive just bought a slow cooker and made a yummy beef stew today in it and was lovely to just walk in the door from work to hot dinner, could anyone give me some recipes that they use cause now i wanna try everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by beertons View Post
The thread is brilliant, keep talking there about stuff and sharing idea's. Below is the menu, just to simplify things.

1. Pork chops with mushrooms
2. Ham shank
3. Meatball casserole (#1), Meatball casserole (#2)
4. Beef stew (#1), Beef stew (#2), Beef stew (#3), Beef stew (#4), Beef stew (#5)
5. Lamb stew (#1), Lamb stew (#2)
6. Pork medallions
7. Asian ginger beef
8. Chicken korma
9. Sausage and onion casserole
10. Schezuan chicken
11. Housekeepers cut
12. BBQ beef
13. Oxtail stew
14. Rice pudding
15. Tomato sauce
16. Peppered steak
17. Ham in cider
18. Whole chicken (#1), Whole chicken (#2)
19. Chicken curry (#1), Chicken curry (#2)
20. Spaghetti bolognese
21. Mince base for spaghetti bolognese / sheperd's pie
22. Chilli (#1), Chilli (#2)
23. Pulled pork
24. Chicken risotto
25. Bread pudding
26. Tomato soup
27. Thai chicken curry
28. Chicken noodle soup
29. Bolognese sauce
30. Slow cooked cola ham
31. Fruit delight dessert
31. Slow cooked ham
32. Beef brisket
33. Roast beef
34. Beef curry
35. Ham hocks
36. Pork in cider
37. Chicken Cacciotore
38. Fruited slow cooker oatmeal
39. Creamy onion slow cooker chicken
40. Slow cooker pulled chicken
41. Fall vegetable crock pot barley hotpot
42. Lamb stew
43. Sausage and apple casserole
44. Shoulder of pork
45. Beef and Guiness stew
46. Lamb stew
47. Balsamic beef
48. Lemon chicken
49. Mongolian beef
50. Lamb shanks
51. Thai peanut pork
52. Ham shanks
53. Pork shoulder
54. Massaman curry
55. Gammon joint
Index Origin

Last edited by Faith; 03-12-2013 at 17:17.
Advertisement
22-01-2009, 04:46   #2
CJhaughey

I use recipezaar.com , you can look for recipes by cooking method.
Crockpot recipes are what they call them in the US.
22-01-2009, 23:32   #3
CJhaughey

I did one today and it was very successful.

4 pork chops
225g Sliced button mushrooms
1 large onion sliced thinly
2 smashed cloves garlic
1 tsp mixed herbs
salt and pepper
~ 1kg spuds peeled and sliced
enough chicken stock to cover.

Sauté the onion in a pan with a little oil until translucent, add garlic and mushrooms and cook the mushrooms until they sweat.
Remove from heat and add a shake of herbs (I used Lidls Herbs de Provence)

In crockpot make a layer of mushrooms, chops, potato slices, mushies, etc etc
Cover in chicken stock, I usually put a stock cube in a mug and dissolve it, then add to the cooker, and then pour boiling water until it covers the food.

4-5hrs on high.

eat.
Thanks from:
23-01-2009, 08:46   #4
elainee40

hmm that sounds lovely, will give it a go.

Must admit it seems to be well worth the buy
03-02-2009, 08:24   #5
sorella
Banned

In the slow cooker right now... a ham shank - soaked overnight to removes excess salt - dired peas - also soaked overnight - a chopped onion and a chopped potato.

When it has simmered a few hours, will remove the shank, let all cool so the excess fat can be removed, takle the meat off the bones and return to the slow cooker.

Wil check then for seasoning and if too salty add a couple of raw potatoes to take up excess salt.

It will be a thick broth, ideal for these winter days. Freezes well also

The slow cooker is a treasure indeed. And very versatile.
Advertisement
03-02-2009, 08:28   #6
Overheal
MegaMod X

Send a message via Skype™ to Overheal
Pot Roast
2 Cans Campbells condensed Cream of Mushroom (do not add water or milk)

Cook long time

???

Profit!

Also Good to add fresh sliced mushrooms and chopped onion. Mashed Potatoes are a great side.

We just got a crockpot recently and so far have done 2 roasts and a Chilli in it - Oh man, you can make epic chilli in a crockpot. Hell, we have a 3rd roast in there right now: its been low-cooking all night.

Last edited by Overheal; 03-02-2009 at 08:30.
Thanks from:
03-02-2009, 10:26   #7
Dizzyblonde

This is what I'm cooking in mine today - a recipe for meatball casserole of my own invention. It's really nice

I lb of lean steak mince
2 sliced carrots
2 sliced onions
Half a tin of tomatoes
Sliced potatoes
A dessertspoon of flour
Pinch of mixed herbs
Salt and black pepper
A beef Oxo cube mixed with a pint of hot water
Olive oil

Season the meat with salt and pepper and shape into meatballs. Roll them in flour, then brown them in the oil.
Remove them from the pan and add the carrots and onions. Fry gently until they start to soften. Stir in the flour, then add 3/4 of the stock and the tomatoes. If it's a bit thick, add the rest of the stock. Add some more salt and pepper and the herbs. Put it all in the slow cooker with the potatoes on the bottom. The meatballs will be on top but that's ok, I stirred them gently a couple of times while it was cooking.

I cook it in the slow cooker on high for 4 hours, then turned it down to low for the last 2 hours because it was ready early, but 4 1/2 or 5 hours on high would do it. Or you could cook it in the oven for an hour and a half.
03-02-2009, 16:20   #8
corblimey

I've been using my slow cooker every few nights since I got it just a little while ago. The stuff that comes out is usually just as good as if not better than if it was roasted or fried or whatever (and when it isn't, it's usually my fault) but what can't be beat is the smell it makes, just that lingering warm smell when you come in on a cold wintry evening. Mmm.

Anyway, I went and read the archives for A Year of Crockpotting. It's American recipes, so you'll need to convert most of them (or get American measures) but I've not had a bad meal from this yet. About.com also has a load of great recipes that I've been using.
(2) thanks from:
04-02-2009, 21:01   #9
elainee40

Thanks girls, these sound yum, put my roast beef in the slow cooker for sunday lunch, omg it was so soft and nice, defo be doing it like that every time
Advertisement
19-02-2009, 10:34   #10
gonker

I bought one of the tesco ones for 15euro . How do you roast in it . There is no recipe leaflet in it at all.
19-02-2009, 14:41   #11
Dizzyblonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonker View Post
I bought one of the tesco ones for 15euro . How do you roast in it . There is no recipe leaflet in it at all.
You'd need to brown the joint in a pan first for colour, then put it in the slow cooker with some chopped veg underneath (carrots, onions, celery). You'd also need some stock or water in there.
There are tons of recipes on the web, try the link corblimey posted for ideas.
19-02-2009, 20:28   #12
gonker

Hmm thanks a million Ill try that. I didnt realise you could do so much in them!!
04-03-2009, 15:04   #13
corblimey

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I figured why start a new thread? I'm wondering how to up my usage of the slow cooker - it's dropped off steadily as the 'thrill' of it has worn off.

Last weekend, I made a beef stew on the pan and then in the oven and it was only after putting it in the oven for 3 hours, it occurred to me that I could have used my slow cooker. As long as I brown the meat off first, everything else should be good to go? Would I need to fry anything else (like I sweat some onions and garlic at the start)? Is there any timeframe ie oven X 3 = slow cooker? So if it's to cook in the oven for 3 hours, I'd leave it in the slow cooker for 9? That sort of thing? Some one-pot recipes I have call for a hour of cooking time, so I'm just wondering how to translate that.

Basically, any good tips for transforming a normal one-pot meal into a nice slow cooker meal?
04-03-2009, 16:16   #14
Dizzyblonde

I find it best to sweat off veg such as carrots, celery, onions before putting them in because they cook better. For some reason veg cooks slower than meat in the slow cooker. Today I have a meatball casserole in - I rolled the meatballs in flour, browned them and put them in the slow cooker, the sweated off the veg in the pan. Then I threw in a dessertspoon of flour and stirred it. Then half a tin of tomatoes, a pint of beef stock (oxo cube), salt and pepper and mixed herbs. I'd give it 3-4 hours on high or 5-6 hours on low since everything's been pre-sweated. Sometimes I cut my potatoes into slices and place them on the bottom.
I think anything that takes 2 hours in the oven will take 4-6 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.
Thanks from:
04-03-2009, 19:24   #15
corblimey

Tks, DizzyBlonde. I get the distinct impression that it's virtually impossible to f**k up a slow cooked meal and burn it or something. It seems that 8 hours at low is recommended for most meat and veg combos and after that it's a matter of deciding how well done you like your meat and veg.

Or is that all nonsense?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion