Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel embarrassed about healthy lifestyle

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

But no I almost never cook on weekends aside from breakfasts, I'm either up home so get meals cooked for me (in which case I don't even have to cook breakfast :)) or I get takeaway or eat out fri, sat and sunday. I'd usually be out anyway at the pub or whatever at least one of the weekend nights so wouldn't even be at home to cook.

Oh to have such disposable income - damn you mortgage!!

I get about one takeaway a month - if that. I usually feel rubbish after one so I just dont indulge too much. I often see people in work bring take away remains for lunch - it surprises me how often some people get them (its usually the same people).

I do love my Sunday roast though, I look forward to it all week - and I love the remains lunch of it on Monday - sets me up for the gym!

I HEARD FREE CAKE AND GOT HERE AS SOON AS I COULD

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

lufties wrote: »
    I've noticed how unhealthy people I work with eat and when they observe my eating habits(especially work colleagues), I get reactions that make me feel uncomfortable or that I'm being 'all uppidy', hipster, perhaps even a bit snobbish :rolleyes:
    lufties wrote: »
    Its a bit of a blue collar, male dominated, unsophisticated workplace.

Well as long as it's ok for YOU to do the judging OP :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Loaf of wholemeal bread, jar of pesto, pack of Serrano ham, pack of cooked Cajun chicken, wedge of brie. Change from a tenner and a week of sandwiches that'll hold their own against anything from the deli.

Plus the money. Three quid a day saved is over seven hundred quid a year. If you're on 2k a month after tax, that's a 3% raise right there. I have a list of things I could buy with seven hundred quid, and I want all of the more than I want sandwiches from the deli counter in Spar.

Although I do get paella from the Paella Guys once a week. That costs me an extra six quid each week, but it's worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I HEARD FREE CAKE AND GOT HERE AS SOON AS I COULD

THERE IS ACTUAL FREE CAKE IN MY OFFICE TODAY

OFF TO STUFF MY FACE AND JUDGE SOME PEOPLE BRB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

a bought lunch is always nicer

Eh, no....

And I doubt anyone was claiming it's free to bring your own lunch. Obviously, you've to buy the ingredients, but it works out way, way cheaper than buying lunches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭pah

I'm getting looks just for putting fresh lemon and lime in my water bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

^^ Add some cucumber too, its so refreshing :)

beks101 wrote: »
    I rarely bring lunch to work because I'm like a toddler with food, by the time I'm sitting in the office with a nice home-cooked curry or stir-fry in the work fridge I'm like "I don't want that!' and will scout over to M&S and buy myself one of their pretty salads for four quid instead.

:pac:

I occasionally like that too. But I'm fabulously lazy and often don't want to leave the building at lunch so will just eat what I've brought anyway. Also, during the week, I'm trying to view food more as fuel as time is so limited.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I'm trying to view food more as fuel as time is so limited.

When you learn the secret of how to do the above could you share it with me please?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Please don't, food is amazing.

MrWalsh wrote: »
    When you learn the secret of how to do the above could you share it with me please?

Tiredness takes care of it during the week, and at the weekend, I enjoy food and see it as more than fuel. :)
    Please don't, food is amazing.

It is, but I find a blend of enjoying it and just seeing it as a source of energy and nutrition is the best way to control my weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I find it funny that people are so bothered about the taste of something that lasts a sum total of 30 minutes a day, that it causes obesity and high cholesterol etc.

I don't mean to exclude myself there, just mean people as in humans.

It's funny that food and it's taste is is such a joy, when it lasts so little time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

The mother-in-law was giving out to me for my healthy eating the other day.
    Then at the weekend for lunch she had ... cake. Nothing else just cake.

She actually told me that I should stop all the "health food lark"

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I find it funny that people are so bothered about the taste of something that lasts a sum total of 30 minutes a day, that it causes obesity and high cholesterol etc.

It's funny that food and it's taste is is such a joy, when it lasts so little time.

How are those 7 hour sex sessions going for you?

Or is that still one of those pesky sub-30-minute things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Cormac... wrote: »
    How are those 7 hour sex sessions going for you?

Or is that still one of those pesky sub-30-minute things

Why the attitude? It was just an alternative way to look at it.

Its not just the taste though. Or just the act of eating.

It satisfies hunger - you could be hungry for 2 hours and then eat something you really like and be sleepy and full for an hour afterwards. Its comforting (Im thinking the Sunday roast). If youve spent time preparing it and its really good you get a sense of satisfaction and job well done........

Not to mention, if you dont like what you are eating it can physically repulse, make someone throw up etc...

Why the attitude? It was just an alternative way to look at it.

Honestly, I don't get the big deal about food. People that look forward to food for more than say, 2 hours, are freaking weird to me.

Honestly, I don't get the big deal about food. People that look forward to food for more than say, 2 hours, are freaking weird to me.

Christ, I look forward to the Sunday roast all week~!

I actually have dreams about great meals Ive eaten.

I have completely stopped having spagetti carbonara when eating out now because I had it in a restaurant in Spain nearly 10 years ago and it was SO GOOD that it has been a disappointment ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I dont like "dinner food" for lunch so only have it occasionally.That sort of stuff is for the evening, especially as I dont like eating two dinners in the day. Much prefer sandwiches, rolls, salad or soup etc for lunch and sandwiches and rolls in particular are far far nicer from a deli or subway than anything you can make at home yourself. Soup probably not alright.

I do prepare stuff sometimes and bring it and I count it a lot of work and would prefer to eb relaxing in the evening that preparing lunches and I don't really cook at all at weekends except frys.

There is no way sandwiches or rolls are far nicer from a deli than what you can make yourself.
    I would guess that you like plenty of mayo, coleslaw and relishes, and that's how you've put your weight back on.

For me, I do a shop at the start of the week, including cheese, chicken, tomatoes lettuce store it all in work fridge, buy nice bakery brown breads, put four slices each into a sandwich bag and freeze them. Therefore getting a nice fresh sandwich everyday.
    Total cost €10 for the week and I find it way nicer than any fat laden sandwich you'd but outside for €6 a day.

• Advertisement

Christ, I look forward to the Sunday roast all week~!

Yeah, that doesn't really sit right with me.
    But i realise i'm in the minority and I'm probably the weird one.
    I probably have some sort of complex

Yeah, that doesn't really sit right with me.
    But i realise i'm in the minority and I'm probably the weird one.
    I probably have some sort of complex

Do you not look back fondly at wonderful meals youve had?

Do you not crave amazing dinners that you ate in places you wont be visiting again anytime soon?

I remember a group of my friends all experiencing craving for the curry sauce from our local chinese when we were in Australia - I was convinced they put cocaine in it or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Much prefer sandwiches, rolls, salad or soup etc for lunch and sandwiches and rolls in particular are far far nicer from a deli or subway
    Again I'd disagree - a loaf of good bread, or a pack of good rolls, some good ham, a tasty cheese, a jar of pickle; it'll be much tastier than the sitting-out-all-day bland-as-feck cheapest-we-can-buy-massive-mark-up stuff in a corner shop, as would salads made with fresh ingredients.

I'd wager too that you'd buy the ingredients for 5 days worth of sandwiches for the cost of 1-2 sandwiches bought in a shop.

Do you not look back fondly at wonderful meals youve had?

Do you not crave amazing dinners that you ate in places you wont be visiting again anytime soon?

I remember a group of my friends all experiencing craving for the curry sauce from our local chinese when we were in Australia - I was convinced they put cocaine in it or something!

Nope, doesn't do it for me, I might go "oh yeah that was nice alright" and then immediately think about something else

Nope, doesn't do it for me, I might go "oh yeah that was nice alright" and then immediately think about something else

I imagine you as effortlessly slim, I am jealous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭ShiftStorm

I find the whole conversation around food with my colleagues - oh, I'm being good/I'm going to be bad and and have an extra slice of this/sugar is like crack, you know/so-and-so is doing the Juicemaster diet, isn't he great? - so over the top. All the back-patting, feeling guilty, judging, prying, obsession with what's healthy or not these days is so pointless and borders on psychosis! Imagine if we went on about some other normal, physical habit like sleeping the same way?

The only reason you have to feel guilty for eating a slice of cake is if you stole it IMO. Be thin, be fat, be yourself, get some vitamins and minerals into you and leave everyone else to it.

I imagine you as effortlessly slim, I am jealous.

I have a healthy frame a bit on the slim size yes, that might be metabolism though. Or glands or something. I dunno. I'm not a big fattie anyway :P

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

ShiftStorm wrote: »
    I find the whole conversation around food with my colleagues - oh, I'm being good/I'm going to be bad and and have an extra slice of this/sugar is like crack, you know/so-and-so is doing the Juicemaster diet, isn't he great? - so over the top. All the back-patting, feeling guilty, judging, prying, obsession with what's healthy or not these days is so pointless and borders on psychosis! Imagine if we went on about some other normal, physical habit like sleeping the same way?

The only reason you have to feel guilty for eating a slice of cake is if you stole it IMO. Be thin, be fat, be yourself, get some vitamins and minerals into you and leave everyone else to it.

That wrecks my head too. I've no problem with someone telling you that your lunch looks nice or whatever, but that whole sucking-in-air-through-the-teeth tone of disgust when you are eating something that they might dislike and remark on it.

People who witter endlessly on about their weight and their latest diet are so boring imo. Seeing facebook friends announcing that they lost half a pound on their diet, when they are several stones overweight secretly baffle me. Surely a decent bowel movement would weigh that much?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Neyite wrote: »
    That wrecks my head too. I've no problem with someone telling you that your lunch looks nice or whatever, but that whole sucking-in-air-through-the-teeth tone of disgust when you are eating something that they might dislike and remark on it.

:pac:

I think I may have to change my answer from earlier where I said nobody's ever commented on my dietary habits. I couldn't put it into words but I've been on the receiving end of that 'look' more times! I just never really took any notice -

Them: "Do you take sugar?"

Me: "Three spoons, thanks"

Them: That facial expression :D

People who witter endlessly on about their weight and their latest diet are so boring imo. Seeing facebook friends announcing that they lost half a pound on their diet, when they are several stones overweight secretly baffle me. Surely a decent bowel movement would weigh that much?

*puts sandwich to one side*, lost my appetite now :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

anncoates wrote: »

I think a lot of what people think are judgmental comments in offices and the like are often just people making hamfisted attempts at conversation most of the time.

Careful, mentioning that and they'll eat that too

Advertisement