Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partial Solar Eclispe Friday March 20th

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

I was in South Dublin and had managed to secure 30 pairs of glasses for my son's school (thanks TCD Physics!).

I was gutted because it wasn't going to be feasible to have all the kids out waiting for a gap in the clouds...

I did happen to look up at 9.10am myself and caught a gap in the cloud and saw it through a light cloud cover so I feel I got my bit. Got home in time to see totality covered by BBC Stargazing which had pretty spectacular footage. Husband couldn't really understand my excitement this week but he got to see the gap in the clouds too and now he's planning our family holiday to US in August 2017!

On another note does anyone else who saw through the clouds with naked eye have "sore eyes" now? Maybe I'm imagining things....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Raging didn't get to see it,fecking clouds,not the same looking at it on sky news :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

Try again eclipsed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

pauldry wrote: »
    Try again eclipsed

Sorry thats crap ill try a better in sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Well the clouds were playing puck this morning, not really pushed though as I have seen various forms of eclipses before, but it is a shame for the kids who would not have seen one before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Despite clouds, few photos shot.

342562.jpg342565.jpg342566.jpg342569.jpg342570.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Hi all,

Great photos and many thanks for sharing the images and experiences from around the country.

If people have now been bitten by the astronomy bug then you might be interested in the calendar of celestial events for the rest of 2015 that we put together for IFAS. The calendar is a FREE pdf that can be downloaded from the link below. The images published in the originally sold version are not included as they are copyright of the photographers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqg5otrcyrzwc44/astro_calendar_2015_final.pdf?dl=1

John

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Got about 15 second worth of break-in-the-cloud in the Phoenix park. Great to not have to use filters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Loads of cloud cover today but managed to get one decent photo :)

16685573878_e2f1e1feca_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Got a nice view of it through some light cloud which acted as a bit of filter, same as some of the pics above. A better view than 1999 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Got a great view today. Clouds cleared around 9 but I missed the maximum sadly. But was great to see it even not at max. But I looked at it with no glasses or anything and think I ma have done damage, have a bad headache now.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Started off clear down here and a layer of light cloud came over half way through. I think it turned out better for taking photos.

16253625204_1c5013605b_c.jpg
    Solar Eclipse by vistafind, on Flickr

16688591340_44d5d2946e_c.jpg
    Solar Eclipse by vistafind, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Different view
    342643.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

So, I have my holliers organised for 2026, I think I'll go to Mahon, Mallorca.
    Its only eleven years from now but if the next eleven years pass as quickly as the last eleven years then its only around the corner. ;)
    http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/spain/mahon?iso=20260812

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Cracking mornings both before and after eclipe day! Typical eh??!!
    Still though, a lot of very nice pictures were taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭Calibos

Having followed all things astronomical since 2008, it's uncanny how every single time limited astronomical event in Ireland is clouded out with perfect weather the week/day/hour before and afterwards depending on how time limited the event is. I'm a rationalist, but if I were a superstitious man...... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Calibos wrote: »
    Having followed all things astronomical since 2008, it's uncanny how every single time limited astronomical event in Ireland is clouded out with perfect weather the week/day/hour before and afterwards depending on how time limited the event is. I'm a rationalist, but if I were a superstitious man...... :D

Yep - hardly a cloud in the Sky this morning:mad::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

So, I have my holliers organised for 2026, I think I'll go to Mahon, Mallorca.
    Its only eleven years from now but if the next eleven years pass as quickly as the last eleven years then its only around the corner. ;)
    http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/spain/mahon?iso=20260812

You could see one even sooner if you planned a trip to the US in August 2017. The path of totality stretches across land from O'regan in the Northwest to South Carolina in the South East. Point of longest totality in Shawnee Forest, Illinois. Check NASA site or Google for further details

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

You could see one even sooner if you planned a trip to the US in August 2017. The path of totality stretches across land from O'regan in the Northwest to South Carolina in the South East. Point of longest totality in Shawnee Forest, Illinois. Check NASA site or Google for further details
    I plan on seeing it while hiking Yellowstone National Park, 2 birds with one stone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Thargor wrote: »
    I plan on seeing it while hiking Yellowstone National Park, 2 birds with one stone.

Just bringing this thread back up.

Yellowstone and the Grand Teton national parks will be very popular in 2017, given they are the most scenic locations with the best chance of no clouds, western half of US much better bet than eastern half.
    Apparently the western side of the Grand Tetons in Idaho is better than the east side of the mountains for no cloud or fog.
    Just look at the scenery for 2017...

The east side/Wyoming if the weather co-operates is picture perfect -
    WY-Grand-Teton-NP-Oxbow-Bend.gif

No pictures of the west side.

Yellowstone will be amazing, though I think it will be crazy busy with tourists who are there as part of an eclipse holiday, but its a big place.

Think it will be a great astronomy, nature and wildlife holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I am planning to be in south central Idaho. From there I could get to any location in Oregon, Idaho or Wyoming along the path of totality once the details of the actual weather become known.

The eclipse will be around 1100h to 1300h local time from west to east through that zone, one hour of that is a time change from Pacific (daylight) to Mountain (daylight) time.

The climatology is basically about the same for any part of the path, even the Oregon coast not much more likely to see cloud but I would avoid there for the higher chance of coastal fog.

At that time of year, would say there's about a one in three chance of significant weather system cloudiness, many days will start out clear and see increasing cloud by afternoon which is why you might want to consider being west of the Grand Teton range. The scenery there, by the way, not very awe-inspiring, much of south central Idaho is rather flat, irrigated farmland (spuds and cattle ranches with some wheat and canola) with low barren hills here and there, but very fast roads as a result (in case of a last minute change of location). There is one minor scenic attraction, the Craters of the Moon National Monument which is a large area of lava that contains caves.

I would advise anyone interested in this eclipse to consider flying to Denver, Las Vegas, California, Seattle, or maybe Vancouver or Calgary, rent your vehicle and plan to see a number of national parks in the western U.S. -- those in Utah are very scenic, also Glacier in Montana. I imagine that accommodations are going to be very tough to find with so many Americans living near this eclipse path but not so close that they can drive from home on the same day. I plan to camp in an isolated location and maybe have reservations for the following night which may turn out to be less in demand as all those people head home (I think eclipse day is on a weekend).

One other note, if you're planning, Grand Teton or southeast would be a lot better than Yellowstone, there tends to be a lot more daily shower and thunderstorm development over the Yellowstone region, plus the roads there are very congested and if you wanted to make a move at the last minute, you might find yourself in a traffic jam. I would go see Yellowstone a day or two after the eclipse when the tourists had dispersed somewhat.

Advertisement