Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partial Solar Eclispe Friday March 20th

Options

Comments

Only caught a few glimpses through breaks in the clouds (through a welding helmet) and I must say it's spectacular witnessing it first hand. Privileged!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Just a couple of photos I got on my phone, taken through a piece of welding glass.

They're not great, but you get the idea :)

28kkk5l.jpg

5fgccn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Rikand wrote: »
    Florida 2017! - Time to start saving money for it :D
    exactly, if you want sunshine you go somewhere where its sunny, if you want snow you go somewhere where it snows, if you want to see an eclipse you go somewhere it not cloudy 99% of the time.
    (99% of the time is an exaggeration, maybe 98%)

I laughed at this!
    Maybe medical breakthroughs will make people live long enough to be around in the 2090s for the total eclipse over Ireland...I suspect I will be dead by then, but you never know and it will probably be cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

shedweller wrote: »
    Clear patches in slane moving east. Hang in there! I saw it just after max. Amazing! No filters needed yet! Clouds good for something eh?

Thanks ! Just got some great views of it this past few . Lots of break in the cloud now sun is fully visible wish I could have seen it at max though :) but at least it wasn't too long after max the clouds sure do help to view it !

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

Perfect Cloud cover.......
    342525.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

hang on , i'll try and figure out how to reduce the size on them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Showed up nicely on the infrared too.

8tTwJr.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Very disappointing here in Blessington - worst of the mist/drizzle came down just at the the wrong time:(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

inthehat wrote: »
    Completely overcast in Kilkenny, just a sense of darkness, - no visibility of the sun at all. Must be brilliant for those of you lucky enough to see it :)

Yeah, disappointing, north of Kilkenny city at max eclipse...

https://twitter.com/kilkenny_met/status/578851201262977024

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Not a great pic but still can see it :) the video I got was better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Managed to see the tail end of it in Co Dublin. After spending the morning consoling myself that it wasn't all that big a deal anyway, the clouds lightened and I was able to get a great view of the sun half-covered through a welders visor. Absolutely stunning.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Drop of 0.7c in temp here during the eclipse. 8.9c at 0900 down to 8.2c at 9.25 until around 9.35 and back up to 8.9c at 10.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Worked out quite well here in N. Mayo - it was very overcast around 9:15, but the clouds started to thin just around 9:30, and this actually helped as we got to see the crescent at its maximum - the sun came out briefly around 9:40 and it was too bright to see the eclipse.

So in my case, the Irish weather actually worked in my favour.

This was probably a better experience compared to 1999, when there was a bit more cloud.

To see a total eclipse some time in the future is on my bucket list for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Showed up nicely on the infrared too.

8tTwJr.gif

Yeah, noticed that too. Was spooky. I managed to see the very end of it when the cloud broke for a second. Delighted to get even a glimpse.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

NOW the sun comes out in Dublin City centre. That's taking the piss.

5starpool wrote: »
    NOW the sun comes out in Dublin City centre. That's taking the piss.

Same here - sods law:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Was nothing in maynooth until about 10 , when the cloud cleared just enough that you could look at it. Of course my phone had died by that stage so no photo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Same here - sods law:(

murphy's law

the luck of the irish:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Was very lucky here in Kerry this morning, a few breaks developed in the clouds and I managed around 5 mins of viewing, I saw it through a welding mask and I was delighted compared to the drizzle and clouds of August 1999. When I awoke at 8am to a grey sky it was initially disappointing but much to my amazement the clouds started to disperse and break ever so slightly. See attached screenshot of the video I shot earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Pic of Bray head during the event, the phone made it look very bright but it was dark up there, like a very bright full moon:

pNiXepD.jpg

My eclipse glasses were uesless as I never actually saw it directly because of the clouds but it was naked eye viewable with the clouds acting as a filter:

07lwrxN.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Taken from Frankfurt, not a great pic coz the phone wasn't able for it but still cool.
    CAiJ-e1XIAAPhbh.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Calibos

In Bray the clouds thinned enough at maximum at 9:30am for some great naked eye views and on and off every few minutes for the next 45 minutes. Clouds totally cleared around 10:10am for about 15 minutes for some lovely eclipse glasses views where there was still a nice bite out of the Sun.

Very happy how it turned out in Bray all things considered.

Murphy's law struck Bray for the 2012 Venus Transit. A load of us were up at the scenic carpark to view. At the beginning I jokingly said that Sod's law dictates that the Sun would clear the clouds on the horizon 30 seconds after last contact. As our countdown alarms went off to indicate that Venus had cleared the Suns disc and the transit was over, I started to count up. '1 one thousand....'

I got to 30 seconds and........the Sun cleared the clouds!! FFS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I know it's 12 years away, but this one will have a very long duration, and a spectacular setting!
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_August_2,_2027

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

MayoForSam wrote: »
    To see a total eclipse some time in the future is on my bucket list for sure.

Your user name...... must .... resist..... cheap .... jibe...... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Calibos

gman2k wrote: »
    I know it's 12 years away, but this one will have a very long duration, and a spectacular setting!

Plenty of time for some secular dictatorships to reestablish some order and tourist safety in all those countries :D

Calibos wrote: »
    Plenty of time for some secular dictatorships to reestablish some order and tourist safety in all those countries :D

Eitheir that or it could well herald the end of the world as know it given the way things are going in those parts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Was fully expecting another complete grey-out like last time, which was pretty much what the weather forecast was saying. But cleared at just the right time! Didn't quite get the hang of this pinhole camera lark (need to get practising that for 2026, if we're spared), but through another fluke did manage to get a direct photo when the cloud cover was just right.

GEDC4318.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I certainly noticed it get cold here, the whole thing was a great experience I must say, a strange feeling.

gman2k wrote: »

One could go on an adventure holiday, see the eclipse and avoid losing your head, getting shot or blown up.

Though southern Spain looks tempting for something more sedate.

• Advertisement

Now the sun is shining, thanks sun for burning away the clouds, I'll blame the moon for it not being sunnier earlier.

Advertisement