Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partial Solar Eclispe Friday March 20th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

From around 9:20 on I had a great view of it in Kilkenny but I couldn't get a decent photo. It looked pretty cool :D
    It's such a pity it's so overcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

jay93 wrote: »
    Can't see it in East Meath cloud cover too thick ..
    Clear patches in slane moving east. Hang in there! I saw it just after max. Amazing! No filters needed yet! Clouds good for something eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Very visible along the East Coast now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

fryup wrote: »
    lets call a spade a spade......that was crap, should have stayed in bed:mad:

It was cool if you could see it... I saw it. And it was cool. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Caught the briefest glimpse here in south Dublin, through the cloud. Getting brighter again now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A drop of almost 1.0c here during the event, with a subtle drop in pressure.

342521.PNG

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Not as apectacular as all the hype really !

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Temperature fell 0.6c at my location.

It would be greater if it happened later in the day like in 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

fryup wrote: »
    lets call a spade a spade......that was crap, should have stayed in bed:mad:

It was truly awesome - There was some light cloud overheard and breaks in the heavy cloud meant you could see it with the naked eye without the need for visors. But you had to be quick to look away if the light cloud got too light.

Really glad I ignored work for 15 minutes, lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

^ nice pic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

It was a ball of fire along the SW coast (with the sun in the East obviously) and remained cloudless for maybe 30-40 mins , a cameraman left Me look through his lens where you could clearly see the eclipse , this was not apparent to the naked eye however and it never got TOO dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

What's the big ****ing deal, we can't see the sun most of time anyway, what difference if its the moon blocking it instead of clouds, buildings or planet ****ing earth...!!!???

And if this is so amazing why don't people lose their **** over a crescent moon most nights of the week...?!

/rant

Completely overcast in Kilkenny, just a sense of darkness, - no visibility of the sun at all. Must be brilliant for those of you lucky enough to see it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

What's the big ****ing deal, we can't see the sun most of time anyway, what difference if its the moon blocking it instead of clouds, buildings or planet ****ing earth...!!!???

And if this is so amazing why don't people lose their **** over a crescent moon most nights of the week...?!

/rant
    Ah chill man! Some lads get tearful when their team loses. That to me is tragic! Horses for courses ya know?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

not a total loss just got a glimpse through a break in the clouds, via my welding shield :)

I plan if I live long enough, to go on a couple of trips to view total solar eclipses, looking decades ahead...the US for one and Australia for another.

Maybe medical breakthroughs will make people live long enough to be around in the 2090s for the total eclipse over Ireland...I suspect I will be dead by then, but you never know and it will probably be cloudy.

RobertKK wrote: »
    I plan if I live long enough, to go on a couple of trips to view total solar eclipses, looking decades ahead...the US for one and Australia for another.

Maybe medical breakthroughs will make people live long enough to be around in the 2090s for the total eclipse over Ireland...I suspect I will be dead by then, but you never know and it will probably be cloudy.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

I didn't see it, happy for those who did.

It doesn't happen everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Completely clear skies here. But was boring. Got dull and just felt like it does when the sun gets blocked by a supercell. I'd have much rathered got up to watch a supercell do its dirty deed.

Florida 2017! - Time to start saving money for it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Calibos wrote: »
    The danger is not intrinsically greater for eclipses but because people try and use the wrong materials to dim the sun they expose themselves to more danger. ie. Camera negatives dim the sun to the point where there is no pain and the blink reflex is not triggered but are actually only dimming the visible light but are letting the actually damaging UV rays through to the retina.
    Thanks, but what do you mean in that context, camera negatives?

It was mostly sunny here for the eclipse,I glanced up twice for a split second thinking it was cloudy, but what I saw was the sun eclipsed, it wasnt bright, it might of been behind the clouds a bit but I looked away straight away :eek:. What a sight though.

If you've no interest, get the **** out. Stop ruining our buzz

I didn't see it, happy for those who did.

It doesn't happen everyday.

I don't have diarrhoea every day, but no-one wants to come and look at my total eclipse of the toilet bowl when I do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Got some pictures when the cloud cover moved briefly :) kids will be delighted.

Because a total eclipse is much better than a partial eclipse, I have an interest in astronomy, nature and it will be a good excuse if I am alive then to have a nice holiday built around that.
    When retired, take a month's holiday down under or across the pond. View a total eclipse, see a bit of the country...have fun.

I don't have diarrhoea every day, but no-one wants to come and look at my total eclipse of the toilet bowl when I do...

We get it, you are not into astronomy, ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I have to say it was pretty amazing from Galway city. Better than the 1999 one for me.
    The sun was directly shining here at the maximum, and you could see the sun light go a very strange hue, it was different to the light when clouds obstruct the sun.
    I took a few photos on my dslr but need to get a connection from home to upload them.

You can see the sunlight levels dropping here in galway from this link:
    http://weather.nuigalway.ie/12HourTrends.php

A lot brighter now.

The birds did not stop singing this time, I wonder if the low cloud is the reason.

Did birds stop singing where the sun could be seen?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

91a9zG9.jpg?2

Had a nice view in west cork!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod Note

If you've nothing constructive to add to this discussion then post elsewhere

Advertisement