Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Former rams rb Lawrence Phillips is suspected of killing his prison cell mate....

cos being sentenced to 30 odd years isn't enough

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Why do NFL teams not get sponsors for their jerseys? It seems like a very obvious revenue stream for these franchises?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

League rules. None of them can do it

They are allowed have sponsors badges for training camp but those are just small badges, not a soccer style logo across the chest

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

mikemac1 wrote: »
    League rules. None of them can do it

They are allowed have sponsors badges for training camp but those are just small badges, not a soccer style logo across the chest

If the NFL figured out a way that they could get the money and not the franchise, they'd probably do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

A verdict has been reached in the Aaron Hernandez trial according to sam farmer of the LA times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

1st degree murder is the verdict(or call seeing as he played in the NFL)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Life in prison with no possibility of parole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

adrian522 wrote: »
    Life in prison with no possibility of parole.

*waits for Goodell to announce a 4 game suspension*

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Knex. wrote: »
    If the NFL figured out a way that they could get the money and not the franchise, they'd probably do it.

Speaking of the greedy fúcks. Apparently Belichicks recent rule change proposal (to put more cameras around the field, sidelines ect) would have only have cost the NFL about $25 million dollars. But for a sporting organisation that is raking in $12 billion per year, spending 0.2% of their earnings on cameras to eliminate poor officiating, was obviously a bit too rich for them.

Speaking of the greedy fúcks. Apparently Belichicks recent rule change proposal (to put more cameras around the field, sidelines ect) would have only have cost the NFL about $25 million dollars. But for a sporting organisation that is raking in $12 billion per year, spending 0.2% of their earnings on cameras to eliminate poor officiating, was obviously a bit too rich for them.

No wonder he went on such an epic rant about it.

That's a piss take, as it would clearly improve the game. Something, which in turn, would actually help the NFL and consolidate their business after all.

• Advertisement

No wonder he went on such an epic rant about it.

That's a piss take, as it would clearly improve the game. Something, which in turn, would actually help the NFL and consolidate their business after all.

And next year Bill will table the same rule change proposal again, like he did last year. He'll probably eventually shame the gobshytes into accepting it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Interesting re: a potential Philip Rivers trade, from NFL.com:
    The concept of Philip Rivers getting traded by the Chargers sounded ridiculous when it first came up this offseason. It doesn't sound so crazy anymore.

Tuesday's column by Kevin Acee in the Union-Tribune San Diego marked a turning point in the story. The prime NFL writer in San Diego -- a close confidante of Rivers -- believes it's time for the Chargers to trade the franchise quarterback. This does not get written in a vacuum or haphazardly. The potential move to Los Angeles hovers over the entire Chargers organization, especially Rivers' future.

Trading a top-10 quarterback doesn't happen often, but there are plenty of reasons to believe we're well past baseless speculation.

Rivers' contract stance

Don't forget that Rivers (and Acee) first brought this issue into the public a month ago. The five-time Pro Bowler said that "nothing" would get him to sign a new contract before the start of the 2015 season. You do not have to read between the lines with Rivers' comments.

"What I can control and all I know as of today, I am signed up for one more year," Rivers told Acee in March. "I guess things could change, but with all the uncertainty in many aspects, I don't see it changing before camp gets here, and when camp gets here I'm even more certain to play it out."

Rivers made it clear that moving to Los Angeles would be an issue.

"What we've established here with my growing family is hard to recreate. The good thing is I'm not under contract in a year where we'd potentially be in Los Angeles."

There is only one year left on Rivers' contract, but the team knows that they have the franchise tag as a tool to potentially retain their quarterback in 2016, no matter where they play. Acee -- and by extension Rivers -- hints at the two sides reaching an impasse if the team leaves San Diego.

"Can we say for sure that Rivers won't play in L.A.? Not any more than we can say it won't snow in Carson or Inglewood next Christmas," Acee writes. "So, yeah, take from that what you will."

That reads like a threat. To be more charitable: It reads like a negotiating stance. Acee writes that the Chargers "know" Rivers' position on the matter. If the team moves to L.A., there's a good chance Rivers will be in Nashville.

"Whether that means playing for the Titans or coaching high school football (while living near his in-laws and 90 minutes from his childhood home) depends on what other moves the Chargers make between now and then," Acee writes.

Now that reads like a threat.

Paully D wrote: »
    Interesting re: a potential Philip Rivers trade, from NFL.com:

It wouldn't surprise me at all and the rumors seems to be gaining legs. Even the guys on PFW in progress (a Pats fan radioshow) were talking about it yesterday. They reckon the Chargers are keen on Mariota and the Titans would gladly take Rivers if he's offered up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Please don't let it happen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Don't think either fan base wants the trade but whisenhunt loves Rivers and Chargers want to go to LA and Rivers won't go so they are trying to get some value for him.

Please don't let it happen :(

Why not? If Rivers joins, I have no doubt Titans win more games over the next 2-3 years than they would without him.

QB is by far and away the most important position. I'd rather know what I'm getting, than constantly having to do a Browns on it, or Vikings before they landed Teddy last year.

Although that would depend on him resigning next year. Is that what makes you not like the idea?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Why not? If Rivers joins, I have no doubt Titans win more games over the next 2-3 years than they would without him.

QB is by far and away the most important position. I'd rather know what I'm getting, than constantly having to do a Browns on it, or Vikings before they landed Teddy last year.

Although that would depend on him resigning next year. Is that what makes you not like the idea?

Yeah and then in 3 years he retires and all we'll be is middle of the road.
    He isnt going to win us the SB or get us to the play offs.

I'd rather go with Mett and find out if hes good enough than be average for 2/3 years before having to search for a QB again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Yeah and then in 3 years he retires and all we'll be is middle of the road.
    He isnt going to win us the SB or get us to the play offs.

I'd rather go with Mett and find out if hes good enough than be average for 2/3 years before having to search for a QB again

You must absolutely love the rumours about trading with the bears for Cutler then!

You must absolutely love the rumours about trading with the bears for Cutler then!

i think thats less likely because of his ridiculous salary!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

would titans not like to have rivers there for 2 or 3 years and then have mett step up then.... i think if you get offered a trade of an above andy dalton qb you have to take it!
    Titans have been so poor.... and nowhere near middle of the road.... and so uneventful in management something like this could kick the franchise into life! I for one would think this is a great opportunity for the titans..... dont blow it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I think Whisenhunt is gambling his HC career on Rivers, he has to win this year or he's likely out of the job and it's rare you get a 3rd chance at being an NFL HC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Rivers is a top 6 QB. I have no doubt that with him and a good draft, they could easily make the playoffs in the rubbish AFC South.

I know this, if in some bizarre world it came down to Giants either keeping their first, or keeping Eli Manning, I'd be taking Eli every damn time.

His contract is up next year too.

A bit simplistic, I know, but still. You need a QB in this league, and proven winners are hard to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Is it a first round pick that the Titans would have to give up? If so, I wouldn't take it. If their first round pick is going to be used on a QB, better off using it on one that will hang around longer than 3 or 4 years.

Is it a first round pick that the Titans would have to give up? If so, I wouldn't take it. If their first round pick is going to be used on a QB, better off using it on one that will hang around longer than 3 or 4 years.

original.jpeg?1330688324

Amen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Id rather five years of Rivers than 15 of any QB in this draft.

we dont need a QB though.

I think there is a lot of confidence in Mett, yes he's unproven but he shows potential.

He's cheaper, his ceiling is higher (if he hits his potential)
    Hes cheaper and he can be our QB for 10-15 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I like Mettenberger. His ceiling is not higher than Rivers.

May be not overall though I think metts body of work is too little to make the judgement.

But if you look at rivers aging over the nexus 3 years to Metts growth, he'll surpass him

• Advertisement

Its more likely that Mettenberger is out of the league, or a number 2 QB, before Rivers is. And I say that as someone who liked what I saw of Mett last year, tbh.

Franchise QB's are bloody hard to get.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement