Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I don't know how, but I completely missed the whole Darren Sharper story until now. Holy ****.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_Sharper#Sexual_assault_convictions

Jesus Christ. That is horrific.

Was my head in the sand, or how was this not all over the media, ala Hernandez?

Nine separate rape convictions? Nine!

For a guy who had such an outstanding career, and was obviously looked up to by many, it just seems so ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It seems a pretty fasinating case as well. No idea how it seems to have gone quite un-noticed, or maybe we've just been living under rocks knex? I hope nothing else big has happened, I mean Liverpool are still on course for 4th place right? :D

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/better-data-entry-could-help-stop-rapists-like-darren-sharper-before-they-assault-more-women/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

You guys really have been living under a rock. Was on the front page on bleacher report for a few days in the last few weeks and even NFL.com were carrying the story on their main page (obviously not under one of the big headlines)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

HigginsJ wrote: »
    You guys really have been living under a rock. Was on the front page on bleacher report for a few days in the last few weeks and even NFL.com were carrying the story on their main page (obviously not under one of the big headlines)

TBF the coverage has been nothing in comparison to the Hernandez coverage.
    Sharper is arguably a bigger name than Hernandez although retired but so was OJ Simpson.

But Murder trumps Rape in media coverage. I guess the media feels more comfortable flashing "MURDER!!" across our TV screens over "RAPE!!".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

its probably for the best that polomalu tired awesome player but he was not realistically going to do a lot from here on out.

looking back now its insane that himself, ed reed,brian dawkins and for a while bob sanders where playing to such a high level in the league all at the one time i would argue the first 3 are not only hall of famers but top 10 all time safeties

edit:out of curiosity how would ye rate the 3 of them compared to each other? or 4 if you feel sanders deserves a mention

edit2: or john lynch was a relatively similar time perhaps a tad before them for that matter

• Advertisement

Definitely think it was time for Troy to retire. He was well past his best, but jesus, his best was something else.

Hazys wrote: »
    TBF the coverage has been nothing in comparison to the Hernandez coverage.
    Sharper is arguably a bigger name than Hernandez although retired but so was OJ Simpson.

But Murder trumps Rape in media coverage. I guess the media feels more comfortable flashing "MURDER!!" across our TV screens over "RAPE!!".

I would also imagine that as he was part of the NFL network for a while they were none too keen on publishing it.

Also the fact that it was a retiree as opposed to one of the most talented young player in the league with potentially 10 years of career ahead of him. If gronk or Sherman for example where areested for rape it would be front page news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Will miss Troy and his perfectly timed blitzes. They were some of the best defensive highlights over the last decade.

Will miss Troy and his perfectly timed blitzes. They were some of the best defensive highlights over the last decade.

I'm sure they are fond memories for Heli :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

But can he do it on a cold Monday night in December in Foxborough???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ed Reed is the best safety of all time in my opinion. For all the talk of how older QBs don't need to have the same stats and such because of the rules back then, it's shocking how little that same standard is held up to give credit to modern CBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

HigginsJ wrote: »

The NFL did a good job a reporting it without reporting it, if you know what I mean. I thought the sick creep should have got a longer sentence, but big money buys big lawyers over there and they did a god job of shortening his sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Knex. wrote: »
    Definitely think it was time for Troy to retire. He was well past his best, but jesus, his best was something else.

He really was something else, a great Steeler and a great player who will walk into Canton. He will undoubtedly be remembered as one of the NFL's defensive greats.

Dolphins have extended Mike Pouncey's contract. $55m, $22m guaranteed.

Wow.

They're going to have fun keeping their players when Tannehill rolls in for his new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Knex. wrote: »
    They're going to have fun keeping their players when Tannehill rolls in for his new contract.

Yeah I was thinking the very same thing. Its nice to see Mike T has learned absolutely nothing sense his Jets days

Billy86 wrote: »
    Ed Reed is the best safety of all time in my opinion. For all the talk of how older QBs don't need to have the same stats and such because of the rules back then, it's shocking how little that same standard is held up to give credit to modern CBs.

i agree outside of the likes of ronnie lott who i didn't see play reed is the goat when it comes to purely the playing of the safety position and thats from a dawkins fanboy

Johnny Manziel released

from rehab earlier today

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Johnny Manziel released

from rehab earlier today

****!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ed Reed should have retired 3 years ago. He has neck issues and cannot tackle at all.

Demanded a new deal from Baltimore and was let hit FA where he stole 5 million guaranteed from Houston. Rex Ryan took him to the Jets and nobody signed him for 2014

He'll go into coaching somewhere, maybe college level.

Zero chance anyone signs him to play in 2015

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Oh yeah he's been done for a while now, but 2002-2010/11 Ed Reed was out of this world. I would say the same for 2005-11 Charles Woodson (and he has also aged very well... GB should never have let him go, would be a great fit with and mentor for HaHa and Burnett and would have avoided our hilarious safety play in 2013). His cover play was awesome until his speed wore away in 2011/12 or so and he was just insane at making plays in his time at GB (10 sacks, 37 INTs, 14 fumbles forced, 5 recovered and 9 defensive TDs for a total of 623 yards in just seven years 2005-11). Until Watt came along that had to be the most anomalous stat line in the sport... he also has over 1,000 career tackles which is usually an indicator of a DB struggling in coverage, but for Woodson was because of how good he was against the run, on screens, etc (well, NFL.com lists him at 929 so he will surely crack that this year if he stays healthy, but for his first three years they didn't track tackles).

If people want to balk at Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Moss, Megatron, etc doing what they did back 20+ years ago, they better be ready to balk at DBs from that era doing what Woodson, Reed and Bailey doing what they did during the 2000's.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Johnny Manziel released

from rehab earlier today

I'd say the afc North is ****ting itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Justin Blackmon pictured at a wedding from the weekend just passed:

5792ecd934fa2ccffe3d033069dc1973.png

Paully D wrote: »
    Justin Blackmon pictured at a wedding from the weekend just passed:

good god i never realised how similar he looks to desean jackson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Tampa dead money in 2015

Michael Johnson - 7 million
    Carl Nicks - 4.7 million
    Dashon Goldston - 4 million
    Anthony Collins - 3 million
    Mark Barron - 2.2 million

What makes this even worse is Johnson and Collins were signed just last offseason.

Baltimore dead money

Ray Rice - 9.5 million in 2015 and 4.75 million in 2016
    Haloti Nagata - 7.5 million
    Jacoby Jones - 2.6 million

Jacoby Jones was a hero in the Superbowl but he was never a good receiver and it was a mistake to give him a new deal. Ngata would not renegoitate as is his right so was traded away

Rice still costing the franchise :mad:
    I doubt Baltimore ever give a 5 year deal to a running back ever again

Philadelphia dead money in 2015

Lesean McCoy - 3.4 million
    Trent Cole - 3.2 million
    Todd Herremans - 2.4 million
    Brandon Graham - 1.7 million
    Cary Williams - 1.65 million

It's not great but considering the roster turnover by Chip it's not as bad as I thought

Overthecap is a super website. The guy does a podcast too
    http://overthecap.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

nerd69 wrote: »

sw50sw8sw578.gif

:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

nerd69 wrote: »

I never realized how similar he looks to JaMarcus Russell

:pac::pac:

:D seriously though look at the pic on the left and this

DeSean-Jackson-20-John-Gellebter.jpg

desean-jackson.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

So Justin is not coming back then? Wouldn't have thought he was exactly loaded in a monetary sense for life? Some people are just idiots.

Edit: Don't mind me I'm reading a full guaranteed $18.5 million contract or ~$8 million year 1. He won't be working at Publix any time soon.

• Advertisement

The new Browns jerseys

CCkCq_-WYAAtJie.jpg

CCj43bqUAAA5dxo.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement