Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPRING WEATHER 2015 - GENERAL DISCUSSION

Options

Comments

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Always delighted with a blast like this. Kills off loads of midge and wasps that have come out to play early in the warm weather.
    Same here. Even in the last week the amount of midges has increased massively. At the start of last week the evenings were fine, already now at midday I'm being eaten alive. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

If only this was 4 months ago!.... people would be getting very excited

ECM1-240.GIF?24-12

• Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

This dramatic change from summer to winter this week reminds me of two records made in 1945 at the Phoenix Park that still stand to this day. :)
    April 20th, 22.2c
    May 4th, -5.6c

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

April 20th, 22.2c
    May 4th, -5.6c

be ta jasus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

This dramatic change from summer to winter this week reminds me of two records made in 1945 at the Phoenix Park that still stand to this day. :)
    April 20th, 22.2c
    May 4th, -5.6c

Was that a daily MAX of -5.6 on May 4th? If not then you're comparing apples and oranges.

• Advertisement

FWVT wrote: »
    Was that a daily MAX of -5.6 on May 4th? If not then you're comparing apples and oranges.

good point. didnt think of that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It is the minimum temp. Still pretty impressive by any account.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

tis mad actually. what a difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Forecast for bank holiday weekend not looking promising at all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

very impressive for May with the nights so short at that time of year. The lowest I recorded this winter was -4.5c.

• Advertisement

very impressive for May with the nights so short at that time of year. The lowest I recorded this winter was -4.5c.

i think it was a very dry winter as well. havent looked at the data though to confirm

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i think it was a very dry winter as well. havent looked at the data though to confirm

Very marked east/west split with the winter rainfall this year. It was well drier than average in the eastern half yet unusually wet in the western half.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Very marked east/west split with the winter rainfall this year. It was well drier than average in the eastern half yet unusually wet in the western half.

The turloughs in the west have been very low for the last few months though. It seemed like a very dry spring.
    Maybe its been very wet in the extreme west but not in the mid west?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

has to be true, it's barely rained here since Christmas up untill the cold set in a few days ago and very showery.

The turloughs in the west have been very low for the last few months though. It seemed like a very dry spring.
    Maybe its been very wet in the extreme west but not in the mid west?

Your more or less spot on and maybe my post was a bit too general. Feb in particular was very dry in comparison but overall Dec & Jan, and then March were wetter than average over much of the west (particularly further west - apart from Mace Hd, which seems to be going through a 'dry' spell since the start of 2014) while it remained relatively dry over much of the east. This chart shows rainfall totals for the reporting stations on met.ie for the Dec-March period and set against the national average for just this one period - just to put the data into some sort of context.

346982.PNG

Data in the chart C/O Met Eireann (from the daily totals so may differ from the monthly total tables a small bit on their site)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

ECM flirting with the idea of a warmer, more settled spell in FI.

ECM1-240_eeo0.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

That would give lovely warm fohn conditions to the lee of the Wicklow mountains here, wouldn't be surprised to see temps near 25C here if that came off with sunshine.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Best man at a wedding on the 8th

gfs-2-192.png?12

After all the rubbish of the week previous, this would be grand!

12Z ECM going for high pressure in FI land again. 1040mb.

ECM1-216_fud7.GIF

12Z ECM going for high pressure in FI land again. 1040mb.

ECM1-216_fud7.GIF

It was nice while it lasted.....

gfs-0-192.png?6

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »
    It was nice while it lasted.....

Thats GFS, ECM still looks nice in FI. Could easily change though.

ECM1-240_pir6.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

FI at this time of year ALWAYS has high pressure sitting over us. Trouble is, it rarely makes it out of FI.

FI at this time of year ALWAYS has high pressure sitting over us. Trouble is, it rarely makes it out of FI.

Main thing is though is that it looks like temperatures will be more what they should be for the time of year. FI charts not fantastic but not bad either if you like mediocre weather.

5PnnNv_thumb.jpg

New Moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

FI charts not fantastic but not bad either if you like mediocre weather.

[/URL]

There is nothing I love more than mediocre weather :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Ah yes, another morning of heavy rain lashing off the roof in the north east to be followed by more heavy showers, at this stage forget the sun, i'd take a week of dry cloudy weather then this muck.

Ah yes, another morning of heavy rain lashing off the roof in the north east to be followed by more heavy showers, at this stage forget the sun, i'd take a week of dry cloudy weather then this muck.

oh how everyone complained about this when we had it for 2 summers on the bounce

The sun is out here in the south in the wake of that rain. You should see the same clearance later. Showery, but still nice to have bright spells.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

oh how everyone complained about this when we had it for 2 summers on the bounce

All I want is the ground to be dry enough to get animals out to pasture. The ground is saturated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Dickie10

giving a disaster of a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

You'll find im not one of them, i will take dry weather in any way it comes.

The clearance is coming Maq, rain has stopped and i can blue sky in the distance.

Advertisement