Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPRING WEATHER 2015 - GENERAL DISCUSSION

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Lovley here in South West yesterday, 20°c with a breeze. I got 3 loads of drying done.. Cold and wet again this morning. Are people still lighting the fire? Im tempted to now

we're still lighting fires, we even had central heating on up till a few days ago. It's not as cold as it was first week of May but the evenings/nights are still chilly and a fire is needed to keep the room warm. The east has generally been colder than elsewhere over the past month, even yesterday and the 'warm' days back in April we struggled to hit 12/13C most of those days that the west was seeing 16-20C.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

I've had my upstairs heating off for over a month now and it has not been cold once. In fact, on all but the coldest of nights I am leaving the bedroom window open for an hour or so to cool the room down.
    Downstairs heating comes on for a few hours in the morning and again in the evening. It's all room thermostats and it's left to do its own thing but when the heating first switches on, most stats are already showing a room temperature of 20 or 21c and most of the time none of them call for heat. 4 rooms are set to 21c and 2 are set to 22c.
    Then again, I have a lot of windows so I would say I am gaining a lot heat in the house via solar radiation.
    I usually shut the heating off completely around late May/early June until late September/early October. The sun does any heating needed within those summer/autumn months.
    Solar panels are the next thing on the list as i continue to burn small amounts of kerosene throughout the summer months to keep the hot water hot although this only amount to less than 2 hours per week so it's not overly expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Not looking good for this year according to the Coastguard.

http://www.evoke.ie/news/irish-summer-2015-forecast/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

What's ken ring saying this year or has that ship sailed

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

highdef wrote: »
    I've had my upstairs heating off for over a month now and it has not been cold once. In fact, on all but the coldest of nights I am leaving the bedroom window open for an hour or so to cool the room down.
    Downstairs heating comes on for a few hours in the morning and again in the evening. It's all room thermostats and it's left to do its own thing but when the heating first switches on, most stats are already showing a room temperature of 20 or 21c and most of the time none of them call for heat. 4 rooms are set to 21c and 2 are set to 22c.
    Then again, I have a lot of windows so I would say I am gaining a lot heat in the house via solar radiation.
    I usually shut the heating off completely around late May/early June until late September/early October. The sun does any heating needed within those summer/autumn months.
    Solar panels are the next thing on the list as i continue to burn small amounts of kerosene throughout the summer months to keep the hot water hot although this only amount to less than 2 hours per week so it's not overly expensive.

I am the same as you BUT have used the immersion to heat water when needed. maybe I should use the oil? I have 2 thermostats one upstairs and one down stairs if I switch them both off I think it will heat water only ?
    not mad on burning oil in summer though it just feels wrong :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Not looking good for this year according to the Coastguard.

http://www.evoke.ie/news/irish-summer-2015-forecast/

Since when does the coastguard do forecasts , let alone long range ones that include a pattern that has no reputable connection to our climate? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Since when does the coastguard do forecasts , let alone long range ones that include a pattern that has no reputable connection to our climate? :rolleyes:

It's only a bit of conjecture on their part, to bump their twitter feed or something!

Whatever about El Nino having an effect on summer, its the winter effects in this part of the world that are most interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It's only a bit of conjecture on their part, to bump their twitter feed or something!

Whatever about El Nino having an effect on summer, its the winter effects in this part of the world that are most interesting

Is it time then?? :pac: ;)
    Winter 15/16 Thread

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The weather guy on TV 3 earlier was saying good early summer temperatures for tomorrow while he was pointing at a map showing 9-14C! and 10-13C for the next 7 days! Those temperatures are equal to what we get during mild weeks mid-winter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Gonzo wrote: »
    The weather guy on TV 3 earlier was saying good early summer temperatures for tomorrow while he was pointing at a map showing 9-14C! and 10-13C for the next 7 days! Those temperatures are equal to what we get during mild weeks mid-winter.

Dunshaughlin seems to have a bad micro-climate all of its own!

17C here this afternoon, still 16C and fairly humid. Coming your way tomorrow?

• Advertisement

Dunshaughlin seems to have a bad micro-climate all of its own!

17C here this afternoon, still 16C and fairly humid. Coming your way tomorrow?

misty drizzle and light rain here all day, been 13C since this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

A weather presenter thats hasn't a clue about weather probably one of the Xpose presenters :)

Today is one of the 'better' days this month. Plenty of people walking around in shorts and tshirt despite the fact that its 12 degrees and very breezy. There is zero heat there and unfortunately the evenings are gloomy. You'd really be looking forward to the ling evenings at this stage at least....disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

An exciting 14c out now.

Will it ever end?
    Lanzarote recently recorded it's hottest ever may temperature of 42.6c. Here in Clare, it hasn't gone above 15c in weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Lads i may have to do the unthinkable, the heating might have to be put on for an hour, its fairly chilly out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

I always say I don't mind the cold/rain or lack of sunshine. It's the sudden drop in temperature and unstable mix of everything that gets me. I'm sick as a dog after catching a chill on Thursday...I never get sick in May. Always Easter....which for some strange reason I didn't this year.
    I swear this windy chilly mix puts people in foul humour too!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Anywhere to find out the long term forecast for the summer?

I read one today, forget where so I will sum it up.

Great weather from 28th May to third week of June. Will then be followed by a few thunderstorms into June. July is looking slightly warmer but wetter than usual. Bit of a disagreement on august, some saying warmer than usual, some saying average temperature with only 2 days without rain.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    An exciting 14c out now.

Will it ever end?
    Lanzarote recently recorded it's hottest ever may temperature of 42.6c. Here in Clare, it hasn't gone above 15c in weeks.

On the whole, I think I'd rather 15C than 42! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

42 with very low humidity would be lovely!

Looks like another rubbish day lies ahead cool breezy wet....I'd take my chances with the 42 degrees.

• Advertisement

I'd easily take 42C over 15C, it's easier to cool down than it is to try and stay warm. I too was amazed to see people walking around in tshirts yesterday and it were only 12C.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I'd easily take 42C over 15C, it's easier to cool down than it is to try and stay warm. I too was amazed to see people walking around in tshirts yesterday and it were only 12C.

It's easier to warm up ! It's thirty weather out there at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Monday and Tuesday polar air, Wednesday tropical air. Yipeee, schizophrenic weather anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

This weather is getting me down, constant grey skies, cool wet and windy. No sunshine whatsoever. I watched the golf on TV today from Barcelona and I was angry with jealousy, I cursed this poxy weather we have, cursed it I tells ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I too was amazed to see people walking around in tshirts yesterday and it were only 12C.

Temp barely reached above 11c here yesterday yet I felt quite comfortable in a teeshirt both outside and in. I think the bit of sunshine helped which can help negate the effects of the actual coolness of the air. And even though it is only 8.3c now under heavy cloud and rain, it still feels OK. In winter, the same conditions would feel perishing for some reason.

New Moon

The weather for the next 2 days is like something you'd see at the end of February. I'm wearing the same clothes i wore then to. Its Baltic cold in the evenings especially. I think people just are determined to wear summer clothes regardless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Temp barely reached above 11c here yesterday yet I felt quite comfortable in a teeshirt both outside and in. I think the bit of sunshine helped which can help negate the effects of the actual coolness of the air. And even though it is only 8.3c now under heavy cloud and rain, it still feels OK. In winter, the same conditions would feel perishing for some reason.

The F.L.A.B.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

The solar radiation on your skin; wind and cold don't diminish it - and clouds only reduce it - they don't stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

lolo62 wrote: »
    Monday and Tuesday polar air, Wednesday tropical air. Yipeee, schizophrenic weather anyone?

If we could only get these two air masses to meet over Ireland then we might have something worthwhile to talk about..

• Advertisement

dexter647 wrote: »
    If we could only get these two air masses to meet over Ireland then we might have something worthwhile to talk about..

Yeah - rain.

That would be something different :D

Advertisement