Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPRING WEATHER 2015 - GENERAL DISCUSSION

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

next weekend is currently looking very cold with the possibility of wintry showers in the north and snow covering on high ground for a short period of time. This will probably change tho! Parts of Scotland could have blizzard conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Well this would certainly be something different from what we have now.

Heavy rain maybe turning to snow with strong winds.

192-21UK_onq8.GIF
    198-779UK_gib2.GIF

North of England would get it even worse later as the low deepens. Inland gusts 130+ km/h with heavy snow.

Pinch of salt time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Well this would certainly be something different from what we have now.

Heavy rain maybe turning to snow with strong winds.

North of England would get it even worse later as the low deepens. Inland gusts 130+ km/h with heavy snow.

Pinch of salt time...

A dose of crack cocaine ingested by the GFS after some heavy Saturday night partying? Low chances of this happening considering the time of year?

Nice uppers though.........

gfs-1-210_cpg2.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Gone now on the 12Z run. Just a slack area of low pressure moving into France. Still a while to go yet though until things are nailed down.

gfs-0-186_xrn2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like winter's on its way!

ECM1-216.GIF?21-12

• Advertisement

gfs-2-138_gon8.png
    gfs-2-156_dam6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Beginning to look genuinely cold for us next week! Could well be falls of snow in many places

Some thundersnow maybe?

gfs-0-120.png?6

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Grim, very grim:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Beginning to look genuinely cold for us next week! Could well be falls of snow in many places

Some thundersnow maybe?
    Was about to put away the winter jumpers etc... but might hold off to see how this pans out :mad:

delw wrote: »
    Was about to put away the winter jumpers etc... but might hold off to see how this pans out :mad:

Will definitely be getting colder and wetter. Whether we see snow at low levels, too early to tell, but possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Looks like winter's on its way!

ECM1-216.GIF?21-12

It's more common to have it this time of the year,it's part of the Irish climate effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

not particularly happy about that set up next week :( i'm only getting over a chest infection

but this is so much better to look at. ireland today

CDHmU8PWAAEFvO9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

fantastic clear day today on satellite image , is that a wildfire burning by Kerry coast just south of Valentia ?

ScreenHunter_89%20Apr.%2021%2014.56.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Rooy wrote: »
    fantastic clear day today on satellite image , is that a wildfire burning by Kerry coast just south of Valentia ?

Meterorite58 has mentioned Gorse fires in the current conditions thread over the last week. Seems to be an issue at the moment in Kerry http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/mountains-blaze-despite-appeal-not-to-set-gorse-fires-324877.html

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

So my BBQ could be covered in snow by next week? cosmic:mad:

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    So my BBQ could be covered in snow by next week? cosmic:mad:

At least it'll keep the beers cold Gerry :D

Meanwhile, it's been the warmest day of the year so far here in Galway city - temp hit 18.4C at 15:47 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Lumi wrote: »
    At least it'll keep the beers cold Gerry :D

Meanwhile, it's been the warmest day of the year so far here in Galway city - temp hit 18.4C at 15:47 :)
    That's one silver lining to it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭s.m

Carnacalla wrote: »
    So

i thought this was about weather not peter gabriel's album :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Apologies, keyboard problem on Nexus 5 is a real killer.

What I meant to type : So, can anyone give me a semi-accurate forcaet for Monday-Wednesday coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Dickie10

god this really is a grim picture for next week. growth is absolute zilch to low every where.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

We've my sons communion this weekend. After these past few glorious weeks things are looking pretty depressing, cold wet and windy.

Ah well. At least I've not wasted money on a bouncy castle :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭s.m

Really hoping it won't last I certainly don't want to see a repeat of may 2013

Up to 20 degrees today and the Met Eireann forecast for Sunday mentions "very cold with a widespread sharp frost" and wintry showers.

A lot of people are going to be in disbelief!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

If the latest GFS charts are to believed, then many parts will see snow falling over the weekend and into next week. Some mountain ranges could get a plastering. I'm sure the synoptics will change though as the level of cold and snow risk (on higher ground at least) seems so unlikely given that we will be almost into May at that stage and we are currently enjoying temperatures into the low 20's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The forecast set up reminds me a little of what happened back in April 2012, in that after the high pressure which brought us plenty of sunny and warm weather towards the end of the previous March pulled away to our NW, allowing cold air to become 'locked in' over the NE Atlantic for much of April, the following May - and for much of the Summer thereafter. Of course this is highly unlikely to happen again this year around.

346227.png

Just on another note regarding national RH values this year so far, daily values appear to be running below normal in the main since January, and the lowest in at least 9 years. This is coupled with mean temperatures running slightly below normal for the year so far which could suggest that we are locked in some sort of large-scale pattern over the last 4 months or so that does not look like shifting for the next while at least.

Image from Vedur.is

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

'An tSean-Bhó Riabhach' is the name used by the older people where i live for when you get a short spell of winter weather in April at a time when everyone thinks winter is gone.
    Translated it is the "skinning of the old cow",basically an old cow has survived the whole winter and thinks she is ok and then this blast of very cold weather comes and finishes her off.It can come any time in April or even into early May by tradition.This is the most classic case for a few years lying ahead!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

highdef wrote: »
    If the latest GFS charts are to believed, then many parts will see snow falling over the weekend and into next week. Some mountain ranges could get a plastering. I'm sure the synoptics will change though as the level of cold and snow risk (on higher ground at least) seems so unlikely given that we will be almost into May at that stage and we are currently enjoying temperatures into the low 20's
    Are you sure? :eek: We're off to the Mournes for some hillwalking on Saturday .. crazy to think it could be covered in snow! And I've just taken my winter tyres off too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bastard weather! Just getting used to the "heat" and then this! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Always delighted with a blast like this. Kills off loads of midge and wasps that have come out to play early in the warm weather.

• Advertisement

Today was the warmest day of the year so far in Galway City
    Temp hit 20.5C at 15:59

Advertisement