Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Spring/Summer 15

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like a decent enough storm around Arklow alright. http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en&page_0=12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

One or two nice bangs about 10 minutes ago in Arklow. Seems to be calming down a bit now.

One or two nice bangs about 10 minutes ago in Arklow. Seems to be calming down a bit now.

You must be deaf ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lively Downpours here in Naas with Thunder and Lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Few good rumbles and some blanket lightening off the coast near Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

You must be deaf ;)

WHAT? :pac:

Shelf on the Storm over Naas

44FAF6B4FB894F1185D00A0D538D1E23-0000334566-0003784193-00800L-B9FA503623FF484EB7D5304C1EF42A3C.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Getting dark and heavy rain DN 22

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

pad199207 wrote: »
    Shelf on the Storm over Naas.

Nice capture Pad!

Getting dark here in south Dublin, but looks like bulk of that shower will pass to my south, over the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

That clipped here, just some light/moderate rain for about 15 minutes, nothing too exciting unfortunately! Got 0.6mm rain measured from it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Great looking shelf over the northern side of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Great view from the drivers seat I say :).

Can hear Thunder again Naas now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭highdef

There were a couple of strikes around Enfield

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I think I just heard thunder in Clondalkin. Kind of faint, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭Patser

2 large booms of thunder over Maynooth, as well as some epic rain and hail for 20 minutes.

But easing off now just as quickly and brightening up.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Finglas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Trebor176

And another rumble. . .

The sky is looking quite threatening at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Distant Thunder in D11 , very suspicious lowering / possible wall cloud over towards swords!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Heavy rain in Dublin city now. The Dublin radar appears to be offline at the moment.

What caused tuesdays storms? They were pretty vicious between 3 and 5 in the south-east
    Even MT didnt forecast them,issuing an alert over an hour after they started
    Nothing in this thread untill it started
    In the south wicklow north wexford area,what we got was way ahead of the hype and estofex posts from supposed plume events that never happened a few weeks back

The main storm here,in terms of noise and lightning was actually similar to something I saw in Budapest a few years ago
    Everyone was talking about it

Cape & LI was low but strong wind convergence coupled with high lapse rates helped kick them off . DLS was in the 30knts region too locally. The strong midday sun was was key.

Aye,I did not have a sea breeze here, temps in earlier sunshine only about 17c,so are you saying there was some upper level convergence
    People were stopping cars with the downpour of hail at one stage
    At that point there was more than one strike a minute which was very noisy and made it quite remarkable locally at its height near 4pm
    (mt's warning came at 440 pm,None from m.e at all-both entering the fray as a nowcast, with morning forecasts only mentioning light showers mainly up north iirc)

Its another case of weather completely outfoxing the models and forecasters

Yeah mid level convergence , possibly some upslope action helped too. Met eireann did mention some possible thundery showers in their radio forecast. I would probably had more of a heads up about it on here if I wasn't working a lot lately.

Was nice to see numerous strikes in the one area on the map as you mentioned about. Impossible to predict how active a cell will be .

Some sferics increasing on approach to the sw coastline, well there a fare few hundred km's out. Things could intensify later perhaps? http://www.sat24.com/?culture=en

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Couple of recent strikes just south east of galway city.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

more strikes between Gort and Loughrea just now

• Advertisement

That's some line of showers between galway and limerick. For some reason blitzortung isnt dectecting sferics but nw radar is :confused:.

Advertisement