Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i3

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

stesaurus wrote: »
    since moving from my i3 to a 330e..

How do you find the 330e V i3 ? do you miss the i3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭stesaurus

How do you find the 330e V i3 ? do you miss the i3 ?

Miss it big time, no comparison to a full EV. The 330e is fine as a cruiser along the motorway and at higher speeds there's plenty of power available compared to the i3.
    The instant torque I really really miss. Im hating having to rev it to get some results. The i3 one pedal driving spoiled me as well. Oh and paying for petrol or remembering to actually visit a station is a pain in the hole.
    I'll be back in a full EV as soon as there's something interesting under 40k and can do 200km at full motorway speeds.

A model 3 might fit the bill or perhaps a 2nd hand Model S.

Yeah I love the i3, really happy with it, driving it a lot harder than i drove the Leaf, why not free electricity at work and get home with 50 odd % battery driving at 120-130-140 km/h after 71 kms, that will do me. Nice to have the extra Ev range + the backup of the Rex.

Sill on the same tank of petrol since 2 weeks before Christmas ! and to those that don't know that's about 8 liters ! :D

After night shifts I drive slower, obviously, and don't need to charge at home which is good because day rate leccy costs twice the charge, i can get back to work driving more normal with about 30% to spare which this time of year is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

liamog wrote: »
    If you can only charge at 3.3kW then you need to be plugging into one of 1000 SCPs where you use your own cable.
    Buy a type 2 cable and use one of the SCPs. Please don't waste an FCP charging at such pathetic speeds for 2 hours.
    I'm in the same boat since moving from my i3 to a 330e. I wouldn't dream of plugging in at an FCP.

So.. um yes.. not sure either of you understood my question*.

The question was with who else am I competing/blocking with on a SCP with the Type2 Connector?
    I have bought the Type 2 cable (kinda said that too?).

Also, how would I even use a FCP, which is DC and doesnt have a Type2 connector (right, its got 3 other standards?) and the i8 is AC slow charge only via the vanilla Type2 connector?

*PS: Or.. let me know if Im the one confusing something here! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

An i8 can also draw power at 3kW from the 43kW AC Type 2 on the rapid chargers.
    I've found one blocking a rapid charger on a few occasions...

On the DBT and ABB rapids doing this also locks out the other connectors...

SCPs with your own cable you're grand... you have every right to use those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Matt Simis wrote: »
    So.. um yes.. not sure either of you understood my question*.

The question was with who else am I competing/blocking with on a SCP with the Type2 Connector?

Also, how would I even use a FCP, which is DC and doesnt have a Type2 connector (right, its got 3 other standards?) and the i8 is AC slow charge only via the vanilla Type2 connector?

*PS: Or.. let me know if Im the one confusing something here! ;)

You *could charge on a rapid as they also have a AC connector.

*but you may get murdered by a zoe driver :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Matt Simis wrote: »

You're competing with every phev and EV on an SCP. All EVs use the type 2 AC charging

• Registered Users Posts: 65,149 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'll be back in a full EV as soon as there's something interesting under 40k and can do 200km at full motorway speeds.Tesla can deliver my Model 3. Paid the deposit ages ago.

FYP. Again. :p

Was charging in Dundrum beside a 330e yesterday. Lovely car alright but the battery is so small and if you want to drive it EV, you will have to plug it in (with your own cable) all of the time (probably several times a day). I don't like getting my cable out. You got a great deal on your 330e. A lot of the initial depreciation already gone. It makes a lot of sense as a car to import from the UK. But I don't think I'm going to go for it myself.

Advertisement