Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i3

Options
  • 23-02-2015 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Might be an idea to have separate sticky threads for each of the main ev's? There's a lot of info spread out in other threads already which is hard to find.
    I'll kick off with an i3 thread as it's caught my eye. I'm really interested but still not convinced that I could manage with it being my only car.
    Any current owners able to give real world figures for range? Both Rex and standard.
    Also I probably already know the answer to this but is it actually possible to add the Rex afterwards if I find its needed? I can't imagine it's as easy as adding the unit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Quoted EV range for the REx is 160km. It does 130-135km comfortably. With City driving I've seen real world range of close to 180km. BEV gets 10-15km more than the REx. Worst case, at full motorway speed, in winter with heating on has been around 100km. REx motor allows you an additional 85-115km of range depending on the driving you are doing. The ideal is never to run the REx, but if a charger is broken or you are doing a route where there is no CCS you'll be happy to have it.

BEV range during the winter is also improved if you get the optional Aux. heating (heat pump). REx doesn't have this option despite still having space to fit the heat pump.

REx cannot be added after purchase. Several major wiring harnesses are very different, there are changes to the underside to accommodate radiator inlets and exhaust and the REx motor is essentially a structural part in the Drive module.

Definitely DC Rapid Charge Prep is an absolute essential. It should be standard.

The ESB eCars CCS infrastructure has more issues than the Chademo supporting the Leaf. But when it works it's great. Some sites work better than others (I've never had an issue at Blanchardstown for example). But if you don't have CCS you will kick yourself when they do get everything figured out, and your resale value from day 1 will take a fairly significant hit.

Overall, I'm very happy with it. It's my second EV (My last was a Mark 2 Leaf).
    I'm planning a trip later in the year to Berlin in my i3!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭stesaurus

This is all great info, thanks.
    I don't have a commute as such as I work from home most days and then get a train the rest. My main journey would be to Dublin and back as we're living in south Wicklow. So about 60-70km and back again with ample time to take a charge.
    Other than that it's just for smallish journeys, shopping, dog walks etc.
    I'd love to avoid getting the REx as it adds quite a bit to the cost. If we're going cross country we could swap cars with family, rent or borrow.

I'm going off topic with my details when I would like this thread to just be about info on the i3 so I'll stop :).
    How big is the boot?
    What's the standard toys/gadgets and trim?
    How does the heat pump give additional range does it not draw power from the battery?

Maybe there's separate threads already to give simple explanations but I'm a bit lost as to what ccs, chademo and dc rapid charge all mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

s.welstead wrote: »
    Might be an idea to have separate sticky threads for each of the main ev's? There's a lot of info spread out in other threads already which is hard to find.
    I'll kick off with an i3 thread as it's caught my eye. I'm really interested but still not convinced that I could manage with it being my only car.
    Any current owners able to give real world figures for range? Both Rex and standard.
    Also I probably already know the answer to this but is it actually possible to add the Rex afterwards if I find its needed? I can't imagine it's as easy as adding the unit.

"Renault Zoe one year on" Thread June 2014 ?

This is all great info, thanks.
    I don't have a commute as such as I work from home most days and then get a train the rest. My main journey would be to Dublin and back as we're living in south Wicklow. So about 60-70km and back again with ample time to take a charge.

Shouldn't be a problem.
    What's the standard toys/gadgets and trim?

Base trim is a very comfortable grey cloth. The panel on the top of the dash is grey plastic rather than wood. But you can order the wood dash as a spare part for about €400 (a good saving on the minimum €1,500 a trim upgrade would cost.)

DAB digital radio is standard, as is Bluetooth Navigation (but on a 5.6" screen). Rear parking sensors, seat heaters and battery heating pad are all standard this year. Automatic wipers and lights are standard. Basic cruise control is also standard, adaptive cruise and automatic driving in traffic are options.

The Pro Nav (which includes the larger 10" screen) is worth the upgrade price IMHO. Front parking sensors and rear camera (which is the best quality reversing cam I've ever seen) are a €600 option. Automatic parallel parking is an option. There is also an optional sunroof. LED headlights are optional.

DC Rapid charge is listed as an option but could not be classed as optional (even on the REx) as your car will be worthless for resale from day one if you don't have it. Not to mention buyers remorse when you want to do a long journey.
    How does the heat pump give additional range does it not draw power from the battery?

The heat pump draws less than half the power of the standard cabin heater. The battery cooling system is also fed from the main A/C so the heat pump will also improve your range slightly in very hot weather (or after a rapid charge).
    Maybe there's separate threads already to give simple explanations but I'm a bit lost as to what ccs, chademo and dc rapid charge all mean?

DC Rapid chargers are large public chargers that can charge your battery from 0-80% in about 15-20 minutes. They are normally placed along major routes and allow you to make longer trips or recharge quickly for an unexpected trip.

CHAdeMO is the Japanese standard used for DC rapid chargers, Nissan and Mitsubishi use this connector.
    CCS is the European standard used for DC rapid chargers. BMW, Opel, VW, Mercedes, Audi and Ford among others use/or will use this standard.

All rapid chargers in Ireland support CHAdeMO. And most rapid chargers also support CCS. All new installations will support CCS (a further 20 locations this year) and older CHAdeMO only chargers are being replaced (slowly).

Dublin's Rapid chargers were installed first, as a result many of the older CHAdeMO only chargers are in the Dublin area. The only CCS units in the Dublin metro area are Blanchardstown, Dun Laoghaire and Dublin Airport (not up yet.).

I had an overnight test drive in the i3 on the weekend. It's incredibly fun to drive with all that acceleration and torque. Really nice and spacious inside.
    Everyone we showed it to was impressed with how quiet, comfortable and quick it was but was 50/50 on looks. A lot of people asking us about it didn't really understand the electric concept at all.
    It's an expensive car but I'm still not convinced it should be that expensive. There's not that much high precision engineering as an Ice BMW. Ok there's expensive batteries but so does the Leaf and Zoe.
    I want to get a PCP deal as I think the technology will move very quickly and I'd end up looking to change in a few years anyway. However it's about 200-300 a month more expensive than a Leaf. Is it that much better?

• Advertisement

I had an overnight test drive in the i3 on the weekend. It's incredibly fun to drive with all that acceleration and torque. Really nice and spacious inside.
    Everyone we showed it to was impressed with how quiet, comfortable and quick it was but was 50/50 on looks. A lot of people asking us about it didn't really understand the electric concept at all.
    It's an expensive car but I'm still not convinced it should be that expensive. There's not that much high precision engineering as an Ice BMW. Ok there's expensive batteries but so does the Leaf and Zoe.
    I want to get a PCP deal as I think the technology will move very quickly and I'd end up looking to change in a few years anyway. However it's about 200-300 a month more expensive than a Leaf. Is it that much better?

Yes, in all fairness, the I3 is a generation ahead of the Leaf. It's a BMW and it's a lot higher quality inside and a lot nicer place to sit and much more fun and you will pay for it. It's also lighter and more efficient.

Having the BMW Badge will always carry a premium.

Range wise there is no difference to the Leaf, so in that sense it's not worth the extra money and in 2017 will be the "200" mile range GM/Opel Bolt and Leaf II.

The I3 is also a proper EV designed from the ground up to be an EV unlike the Leaf which is essentially an ice conversion, this is why the battery protrudes into the cabin space.

I'm not sure if the heat pump is standard now ?

It would be a lot of fun but you'd drain the battery fast if you use all that power , So if you do longer trips you would have to restrain yourself from using it which is a bit pointless in having it so to me it's not worth it, certainly not worth having the Rex. Imo it's either an EV or not. I can manage 84 miles per day in a Leaf with a 15 min fast charge and that's not driving too easy I should add.

I'm not sure if the heat pump is standard now ?

Nope, it's an option on the BEV only. Even though the physical space is left free on the REx they don't let you spec it.
    It would be a lot of fun but you'd drain the battery fast if you use all that power , So if you do longer trips you would have to restrain yourself from using it which is a bit pointless in having it so to me it's not worth it, certainly not worth having the Rex. Imo it's either an EV or not. I can manage 84 miles per day in a Leaf with a 15 min fast charge and that's not driving too easy I should add.

Driving aggressively in the i3 doesn't seem to have the same impact on power use that it does in the Leaf. You can drive like a total maniac and still get a solid 130-150km out of it. The car's just as much fun in Eco mode as in Comfort.

Long trips where you need more you slip it into Eco or Eco Pro and flip on the cruise control.

The REx is also a fairly big advantage. Not to use, but to give you the confidence to run the battery down to the end on a much more regular basis.
    Also gives the benefit that on a long trip when (like happened to me recently) three rapid chargers in a row were down you can still get to your destination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

The REx is definitely useful as a bridging technology for a lot of people who like the idea of an electric car, but who are perhaps nervous over range. Granted, in many cases the range extender will be used little if at all, but anything that gets people out there driving electric vehicles is a good thing which will hopefully drive costs down, promote the development of charging infrastructure, etc.

I really like the look of the i3. Way out of my budget range (I've had the Leaf just under a week and love it anyway), but I'd imagine anyone who buys it will have few complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    The REx is definitely useful as a bridging technology for a lot of people who like the idea of an electric car, but who are perhaps nervous over range. Granted, in many cases the range extender will be used little if at all, but anything that gets people out there driving electric vehicles is a good thing which will hopefully drive costs down, promote the development of charging infrastructure, etc.

I really like the look of the i3. Way out of my budget range (I've had the Leaf just under a week and love it anyway), but I'd imagine anyone who buys it will have few complaints.

I love the leaf too. It's a beautifully built car. The i3 has some lovely equipment although a lady has one at work and it's TINY, lol. One of the reasons the leaf was the only option was it's size. There is no way my giant dog could fit in the boot! The BMW is super fast but seriously, look at the wheels, ultra skinny.. they may be energy efficient but they are just horrible. I suppose it depends on your requirements and personal preference. Still haven't had anything that can beat me off the lights in my gorgeous leaf, surrounded by leather with an energy efficient Bose sound system. :) loving it!

simdan wrote: »
    Still haven't had anything that can beat me off the lights in my gorgeous leaf, surrounded by leather with an energy efficient Bose sound system. :) loving it!

Yeah the Leaf's Bose setup is pretty good. I have the optional Harmon/Kardon system on the i3 and it's not as good as the Bose system, primarily down to the Bose having a proper subwoofer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

Me too :)

Would you get the REx again if you were buying today? I get the feeling from the guys on SpeakEV, that its the popular choice mainly due to the reassurance of having the engine there for emergencies rather than any regular need.

I was thinking that it'd be an idea to start an i3 thread - glad to see its already in existence :) Not sure how many other i3er's there are here though ...

I've done 16,100 Kms in the Leaf since Mid January, what would I need a generator for ?

I3 is a nice car and fun to drive I bet but a bit pricey for no more range than the leaf and the leaf is getting a 25-30 Km range hike this Autumn. But it would be nice to see more i3's out there.

I love it to bits. It's one of the greatest vehicles ever made. 18,500km down and I can't stop driving the thing. The i3 is something special. I've rolled around in a lot of nice cars including an E90 M3 at one point (while studying in Bavaria... so Autobahn... 'nuff said) but nothing compares to the fun of driving an i3 in the city. It's not about going fast it's about the responsiveness, sharp handling in traffic and general pleasure of driving.

There are just some wonderful moments I've had with the i3 like the look of utter shock on a Ferrari 458 drivers face when I leaped off the lights in front of him. And of course the thumbs up from his girlfriend :D

Nothing on the road (bar the i8) gets the attention the i3 does. Some incidents in the last week alone:

Around midnight last night I took a spin out to Tesco in Blanchardstown to pick up some caffeine. When I came out there was a crowd of american tourists taking selfies with the car. Don't know where they came from... they just appeared in an empty car park.

Then there's the lady who followed me for 5km to the rapid charger just to ask about the car. And the guys who ran out of a garage to stop me while I was turning in their lane. And a ton of nice/awesome/cool car comments :cool:

Good points:

It's like the Model S in that you will never be able to drive anything less. Driving the i3 is an experience so far ahead of other vehicles that I now literally sulk when I pick up a new 5 series at the car rental desk because it feels like an old tractor by comparison. I'm trying to get BMW to offer DriveNow car sharing access to i3 drivers 'cause I'd really like to drive one when I travel too.

I've gone from loving the interior but being a bit meh about the exterior to loving the whole package.

One pedal driving with regen is AMAAAZING.... it's like the car is telepathic. You maintain the speed and position on the road you want absolutely effortlessly.

Torque is awesome. The thing bounds up the Dublin mountains like an alpine goat. I put my foot down on the steepest uphill gradient I could find and the car rocketed from 50km/h to 120km/h in a matter of seconds.

Grip and handling are great, all around views with all the glass and the high seating position is great too. Drove my dad's Leaf this weekend and the windshield felt like looking through a porthole. Contact patch on the tires is bigger than the contact patch the Cooper S has and the i3 despite being tall has a lower center of gravity. Oh... and perfect 50/50 weight distribution.

The car fits four 2 meter tall adults in comfort. Cargo space with the seats folded down is impressive, I've carried everything from a washing machine to a 600kg UPS unit in the back with ease.

It's under 4m long with an incredibly tight turning circle, you can park in spaces normally reserved for Smart ForTwos.

Connecteddrive is almost 100% reliable. Nissan's Carwings is not remotely as good.

It's the most efficient EV on the road. I get numbers about 20% better than the mk1.5 Leaf.

Range in the city is slightly better than the Leaf.

It costs nothing to run.

It's bigger on the inside! More passenger space than a 3 series. It's taller and wider than a qashqai or ix30.

Automatic driving in traffic and automatic parallel parking. HD reversing camera.

Bad points:

It's like the Model S in that you will never be able to drive anything less. Driving the i3 is an experience so far ahead of other vehicles that I now literally sulk when I pick up a new 5 series at the car rental desk because it feels like an old tractor by comparison. It will ruin all other cars for you.

The suspension is hard... it has to be to stop the car leaning like a sailboat. But it still means potholes are not fun. The stiff tire sidewalls don't help (again another necessity of the design). I swear I can feel the car running over a penny.

It's totally silent. Much quieter than the Leaf which has inverter whine and low speed motor noise. You might think this is a good thing but I've had too many people run out in front of me at this point.

iDrive sucks.... don't get me wrong it's better than most of the alternatives, but I want Android Auto and CarPlay. The last compatibility update for the bluetooth was for the Galaxy S4. The maps don't have any of the rapid chargers, don't update over the air unlike the Leaf and don't add the chargers to the maps when you charge unlike the Leaf.

BMW tried to be too clever with the charge timer and basically just broke it from the factory. All I want is the f*ing thing to charge only on the night rate but that's not possible unless I set a departure time which I don't want to do as it's not good for the battery balancing when I don't use the car near the departure time. When you set off-peak charging it schedules charging for the end of the off peak period not the start, and stops charging at the end of the off peak time regardless of whether it's fully charged or not... which is just stupid.

The standard of my driving has disimproved significantly. I'm hitting the damn accelerator like it's a morphine pump. Planning on doing some additional training and the RoSPA advanced drivers test to get my skills back in line.

Range on the motorway is slightly worse than the Leaf.

Even the upgraded HK sound system needs a subwoofer. No heat pump on the REx and BMW missed a trick leaving a heated steering wheel out.

Paranoia about people closing the rear doors in the right order.
    caster wrote: »
    Would you get the REx again if you were buying today?

Err... that's a tough one. Financially it's definitely not worth it. Between losing grants and adding VRT it's a €10k option that also increases your tax. The problem is that since I got the i3 ESB has added only two working CCS chargers. My positive experience with the Leaf's rapid charging infrastructure had me actually change to a BEV at one point, there's nowhere in Ireland that can't be reached in a chademo equipped EV.

The good news is that for travel outside Ireland, which is what I originally envisaged using the REx for, CCS has gained very wide availability in a short period of time. Hundreds of chargers have sprung up in months across the UK and Germany.

The current problems with the rapid charger network are firmware issues for CCS on the new DBT chargers which have them refusing to charge CCS vehicles and ESB poorly siting CCS chargers. The firmware issues are easily solvable. However by the end of next month, there will be ten CCS chargers ringing Dublin but no CCS on the M1 between the Airport and Banbridge on the other side of Newry so we can't reach Belfast on rapid charging. There will be three CCS chargers all within literally 2km of each other at the start of the M1 at the end of this month yet they can't spare one charger for Drogheda :rolleyes:. Limerick is similarly unreachable with the last CCS equipped rapid located at Roscrea. The Cork and Galway routes are doable but a bit seat of the pants with long runs between rapids.

I've been fairly patient with ESB up to now but I may lose my composure at the next EV owners meeting if ESB doesn't at least present a plan to rectify the CCS situation.
    I get the feeling from the guys on SpeakEV, that its the popular choice mainly due to the reassurance of having the engine there for emergencies rather than any regular need.

According to the statistics BMW has collected from the telematics the only time the REx motor runs for the majority of people is the automatic maintenance cycle every 2000km or so.

The problem is that for the SpeakEV people who are mostly in the UK the REx is a £3.5k option that has no effect on grants or road tax. And Ecotricity has gone from having a terrible CCS network six months ago, with less rapids than Ireland and most of them down for maintenance to literally hundreds of fairly well maintained chargers. Coverage in Scotland and Wales is still piss poor for everyone but that's a different story.

I think I've covered all my usual moans.

Would I buy the i3 again? You betcha!

cros13 wrote: »

Err... that's a tough one. Financially it's definitely not worth it. Between losing grants and adding VRT it's a €10k option that also increases your tax. The problem is that since I got the i3 ESB has added only two working CCS chargers. My positive experience with the Leaf's rapid charging infrastructure had me actually change to a BEV at one point, there's nowhere in Ireland that can't be reached in a chademo equipped EV.

I thought the difference was about 7K? Seems to imply this from the BMW site (both are OTR prices):

http://www.bmw.ie/ie/en/newvehicles/i/bmwifaq.html

(See 'What is the starting price for a BMW i3?')

For me, it seems the only option if you want to use it as your only car. They do have the option though of usage of a 1 Series for 21 days which may just fill the gap until the CCS network is there.

Which interior package did you go for ? The Suite is my favoured option but of course pricey.... in fact, I'm having trouble trying to remove any of the Options from my spec, they all look so good :)

The price difference is about 7 K V the top spec Leaf and the Leaf SVE includes more equipment.

The Rex is about 40-41K and you get less spec than a Leaf so that's about 12 K in the difference between the top spec SVE leaf and the Rex.

While the I3 might be more efficient than the Leaf there isn't any difference in range, in fact the Leaf probably has slightly more range and will have about 25-30 Kms more in 2016.

If you want a fun car that's cheap as chips to run and a better quality interior than the Leaf then the I3 would be the car to get, it's certainly well built and is the more advanced at this time, it's just a pity BMW didn't make a longer range cheaper I3. They would have been far better off adding a larger battery and forgetting about that fancy expensive carbon fibre.

I certainly wouldn't call the leaf boring to drive, it is quiet poky and handles really well. All the torque low down means it could do with RWD or AWD because they have to retard it too much to prevent wheel spin but that's from a standstill once moving it pulls like a train. And it really flies up mountains too, just effortlessly.

Where the weight difference makes a difference is the 0-100 Kph but the i3 has about 70 more HP than the Leaf. This adds to the fun of course !

If I were to do it again would I have the i3 over the leaf ? probably not at this time, while the extra cost can probably be justified by the fun factor alone the CCS is a huge let down, the coverage is poor to say the least. So I can understand why Cros went with the Rex. But in the Leaf all I absolutely need is 5 mins to get home with 20-25% battery for 84 miles range, I haven't yet tried to get home on a charge and I don't like to run the battery down much lower daily and I don't drive slow.

I wish the E.U would have have supported ChaDeMo and insisted that there be a CCS to ChaDeMo adapter made like Tesla provide for the model S. There isn't an advantage at this time to CCS and there is no evidence that the I3 can support more than 45 Kw DC charging that I can see, I can only find quoted DC fast charging times the same as for a ChADeMo EV.

The I3 also scored less in the crash tests than the Leaf and Zoe and has a smaller boot and you can only sit 4 passengers. This is all what I'm reading. But then again I don't think the i3 was aimed at families.

I thought the difference was about 7K?

I purchased under a different price list where the starting price for the BEV was 32k. My i3 got built to the newer standard though as the factory had switched over.
    For me, it seems the only option if you want to use it as your only car. They do have the option though of usage of a 1 Series for 21 days which may just fill the gap until the CCS network is there.

BMW has yet to tell us how BMW Access will work. Despite some BMW owners paying for it more than a year ago.
    Which interior package did you go for ? The Suite is my favoured option but of course pricey.... in fact, I'm having trouble trying to remove any of the Options from my spec, they all look so good :)

I got Suite with all the options bar the eDrive sound. Suite delayed the build significantly. You can go for the cheapest interior and order the wood dash as a €400 spare part.
    While the I3 might be more efficient than the Leaf there isn't any difference in range, in fact the Leaf probably has slightly more range and will have about 25-30 Kms more in 2016.

In everything but motorway driving at more than 110km/h the i3 has a slight range advantage over the Leaf despite the 10% smaller battery. The i3 and Leaf will trade places a few times over the next few years in range.
    If you want a fun car that's cheap as chips to run and a better quality interior than the Leaf then the I3 would be the car to get, it's certainly well built and is the more advanced at this time, it's just a pity BMW didn't make a longer range cheaper I3. They would have been far better off adding a larger battery and forgetting about that fancy expensive carbon fibre.

The CFRP process was half the reason for developing the i3. BMW is already rolling out CFRP reinforced frames across its model range, resulting in lighter, more fuel efficient vehicles. The original intention was a more energy dense chemistry in the battery, however there were a few failed experiments which ended with catastrophic battery failure, several early prototypes spontaneously lit themselves on fire. BMW decided to go with a much safer chemistry. The consequence was increased cost for the battery and reduced capacity.

I'm told the new battery is a similar NCA chemistry to Tesla's (in fact based on cells Tesla used for one of the drivetrains they designed for a third party, and from the same OEM).
    I wish the E.U would have have supported ChaDeMo and insisted that there be a CCS to ChaDeMo adapter made like Tesla provide for the model S. There isn't an advantage at this time to CCS and there is no evidence that the I3 can support more than 45 Kw DC charging that I can see, I can only find quoted DC fast charging times the same as for a ChADeMo EV.

I've seen a stock i3 charging at ~90kW with my own eyes.

I wish the EU would ban chademo. CCS is the european standard. The combined connector is a much more elegant solution with less internal and external space required on the car. It's also more resilient and has a better MTBF. CCS connectors are rated to 150kW. chademo required a new standard to go beyond 50kW. CCS' more flexible ethernet based HomePlug GreenPHY communications protocol is less dangerous and easier for engineers to work with than chademo's direct CAN bus connection. Chademo cars will have to fake a CAN bus in a few years when the cars switch to a mix of deterministic ethernet and ethernet based MOST.

There will be more CCS rapids than chademo in Europe by the new year.
    The I3 also scored less in the crash tests than the Leaf and Zoe and has a smaller boot and you can only sit 4 passengers. This is all what I'm reading. But then again I don't think the i3 was aimed at families.

The i3 is aimed at the dual income no kids market. That the Leaf beat the i3 in NCAP is due to mistakes in the paperwork by BMW. A lot of the safety equipment was not expected to be fitted to as much of the fleet as it actually has been and was not counted toward the NCAP score. Based on the real sales numbers the "Safety Assist" score would have been in the mid to high 90s rather than 55%. The i3 scored higher on the most difficult crash tests such as partial front impact. I will admit that the i3s pedestrian score was accurate and fairly terrible, which is largely down to the shape and height of the bonnet.

ChaDeMo is fine, there's going to be no 45+ kw DC chargers in Ireland for many years and even when they start to role out there will be many more 45 Kw chargers. So apart from a less cumbersome plug CCS offers no advantage.

In Germany BMW will be installing a lot of 20 kw DC CCS chargers made by Bosch and only CCS cars can avail of, ridiculous and again, what's the advantage of CCS ?

It was lobbying by E.U and U.S car makers that swung the E.U towards banning ChaDeMo which was ridiculous considering the amount of ChaDeMo cars on the road V CCS. Now you have to have triple headed AC/DC chargers which must add a lot to the cost.

I'm sure if the I3 was built to withstand 90 kw DC charging they would have made a lot of noise about it but I see nowhere any data on this and nothing official from BMW, it could be that they are being overly cautious.

BMW got 4 stars in the crash test that every other car has to go through, no excuses.

This really shouldn't be a leaf versus i3 thread. It's what annoys me most about the Facebook group. Seems like anyone who decides on a Leaf will defend it to the hilt and try to piss on anybody going with a Zoe, i3 or whatever. Just for my tuppence worth, most people would be going with some sort of finance to buy either and it's worth noting that BMW are currently at 3.9% apr and Nissan at 7.4% so it negates the difference in price a little.
    Anyway back on topic :) I've put down a deposit on an i3 after finally making my mind up. Should collect in next two weeks once grant paperwork is sorted and charge-point installed. I cannot wait!

• Advertisement

Good to see another i3 on the road. It's a good EV and will be a lot of fun !

You did check the Ecars map and compare the amount of CCS V ChadeMo chargers ?

The I3 has 7Kw Ac which will be tremendously beneficial while out and about, check out the amount of Ac charge points on the Map also. (the Green icons)

I find the 6.6 kw charger in the Leaf was the best option I could have got and I wouldn't drive an EV with a less powerful AC charger and when electrics get more popular you will appreciate the more powerful charging from AC points while everyone else rushes for the DC chargers. Drive into town, plug into AC point, 2 hrs later it goes from 25%-90% get in the car drive home or wherever, or think you need a (fast charger) and have to come back to the car, look for DC charger, wait to charge or possibly wait for someone else to charge. AC, can't beat it !

What are the PCP rates and for what KM on the I3 now ? and what trim ?

What are the PCP rates and for what KM on the I3 now ? and what trim ?

The 3.9% is for PCP, should have mentioned that. Trim wise it's on whatever they'll have in stock over next couple of months as it's a limited time offer. Otherwise a 12 week order so may as well wait for a 161.
    Seemed to have a good few options available though

Good to see another i3 on the road. It's a good EV and will be a lot of fun !

You did check the Ecars map and compare the amount of CCS V ChadeMo chargers ?

The I3 has 7Kw Ac which will be tremendously beneficial while out and about, check out the amount of Ac charge points on the Map also. (the Green icons)

I find the 6.6 kw charger in the Leaf was the best option I could have got and I wouldn't drive an EV with a less powerful AC charger and when electrics get more popular you will appreciate the more powerful charging from AC points while everyone else rushes for the DC chargers. Drive into town, plug into AC point, 2 hrs later it goes from 25%-90% get in the car drive home or wherever, or think you need a (fast charger) and have to come back to the car, look for DC charger, wait to charge or possibly wait for someone else to charge. AC, can't beat it !

Yeah the 7kw charger is a big plus. Head to the cinema or doing a weekly shop and we can leave it plugged in and be at full again leaving, no need to hog a rapid.
    I had an i3 for a weekend trial back a few months ago and loved it. Driving over the Wicklow mountains we had a blast sneaking up on cyclists and tearing past them. We had a Leaf too but it wasn't quite the same. Still a great car and I'd have no hesitation with a Leaf just slightly preferred the i3 in the end.

I've put down a deposit on an i3 after finally making my mind up. Should collect in next two weeks once grant paperwork is sorted and charge-point installed. I cannot wait!

Congrats ! I'd be doing the same right now if I were in a position to do so financially - not quite there yet.

What spec did you go for ?

Congrats ! I'd be doing the same right now if I were in a position to do so financially - not quite there yet.

What spec did you go for ?

Base model just with metallic paint and alloys. So the standard grey cloth interior. TBH i actually like it better, leather seats are a pain really especially with dogs.
    Only other extras is the aux heater and DC charging. Everything adds up quickly with the options :eek:

Base model just with metallic paint and alloys. So the standard grey cloth interior. TBH i actually like it better, leather seats are a pain really especially with dogs.
    Only other extras is the aux heater and DC charging. Everything adds up quickly with the options :eek:

Yeah, the Standard interior makes a big difference to cost vs the Suite. Aux Heater + DC sounds like essentials.

I'm a demon for the Options lists though :)

What's the "aux heater" ? heat pump ?

You picked out the essentials. The only other options that might be worth the money are the Pro Nav and Real time Traffic (you wouldn't believe how handy this is and it covers the whole country).

You don't need to order Real time traffic and a few of the other options with the car, you can buy them anytime after purchase on the connecteddrive store, but you'd need to have Pro Nav to be able to buy most of the options later.

One nice option they have in the UK and are due to bring here later this year is Online Entertainment. Basically Spotify competitor RaRa's library of 15 million tracks or whatever streaming through the onboard modem (not through your phone). Also replaces Spotify on your smartphones, Sonos and Desktop, all for roughly the same cost as a Spotify subscription.
    https://www.rara.com/static/site/GB/en/faq.html

phpwycuwy.jpg

What's the "aux heater" ? heat pump ?

Yup.

• Advertisement

I really hope they have Android soon in EV's . I have my own NAS or Network Attached Storage, basically my own personal cloud. When I get fibre I'll be ditching Spotify and Netflix saving almost 20PM. I can have much more content on my NAS and the ability to stream is a big plus.

However I'll still be able to stream from my NAS to my mobile and bluetooth the Audio to the Leaf Head unit.

Next step is to eliminate that dreadful Bose Sub, have to run cables from the front to the rear, big pain in the arse !!!

Advertisement