Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,149 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No car specific thread in this forum in complete without a Bjørn Nyland winter test :)

His latest is the BMW i3 33kWh

And part 2

Very surprised about some of his comments comparing the drive in the i3 to the Ioniq

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Can you spare me the 50min video and summarise the surprising bits?! :)

Probably better if you hear it from him in context. It's in the first 10 minutes or so iirc.

At the end of the vid he says: "Do I love the i3? Yes I love the i3. Do I love the Ioniq? Yes I love the Ioniq" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Ross Millaney

Hi all,

After test driving the Go-Car i3s in Dublin, I've just put down a deposit on a 2014 BEV i3 with DC rapid charge in the UK. I'm going to import taking adavantage of the o% VRT. Has anyone done this before, and if so a couple of questions for you please:

In the UK:
    +Should I test my luck driving from London to Hollyhead on the UK charging point network? Has anyone driven across the Uk in theres? (Delievry is £300 to Hollyhead)

Back Home
    + Warranty, will it transfer to Irl?
    + Which wall charger is best for DC - ie pricewise whats my cheapest option
    + I only get the granny cable with mine, is there a good alternative to an expensive cable from BMW?
    + Has anyone noticed battery degredation yet - this is the only thing that scares me!

Many thanks - Ross

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

+Should I test my luck driving from London to Hollyhead on the UK charging point network? Has anyone driven across the Uk in theres? (Delievry is £300 to Hollyhead)

I've driven across the UK a couple of times on the way to London, NL or Germany. I can loan you a set of card for the UK networks if you need them. Ecotricity (who have the rapids at most of the motorway services) now use a mobile app that can be a bit flaky, on the plus side the chargers are supposed to fail open and allow a free charge if they lose connection. Depends on where you are driving from, a Type 2 cable is essential considering this will be your first time long-distance driving an EV, because if you misjudge you can just find the nearest Type 2 post and add a few kWh.

This the european CCS rapid charger network:
    http://ccs-map.eu/

Yup it's EU wide. The powertrain warranty would still be valid on a 2014. It's 8 years / 160,000km.
    + Which wall charger is best for DC - ie pricewise whats my cheapest option

You'll be looking at 7.4kW AC 32A at home. 22kW DC is technically possible but would cost €6k + upgrading ESB connection to over double it's current capacity + replacing your house's main board.

Cheapest option is a 32A Type 2 chargepoint: https://evonestop.co.uk/shop/audi/audi-r8-e-tron/wallpod-ev-homecharge-type-2-tethered-cable-5m/
    And get your local electrician to install it (tell him you have a 32A outdoor socket to install, don't say EV chargepoint (it's the same job))
    + I only get the granny cable with mine, is there a good alternative to an expensive cable from BMW?

You should get the Type 2 to Type 2 as that was included in all markets. If not, BMW charge ~€160 which is cheaper than Nissan and the cable is better and self-coiling which keeps it from knotting up.
    + Has anyone noticed battery degredation yet - this is the only thing that scares me!

After over 100,000km I've had no noticeable loss in range. If you are getting a BEV you always have the option to upgrade to the latest battery (~60% bump in range) if you want to... though BMW know how to charge for stuff like that (I think the price is €7k right now). In normal use the battery in the i3 doesn't look like it will hit 70% capacity for 15-20 years, it's temperature managed so it can take much more of a beating the the Leaf's battery for example.

Make sure the motor mounting bolts recall is done and latest software installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

If there is anything left in the original 3 year warranty then then it's good in Ireland.

As is any service pack that was purchased with the car.

cros: many thanks that's vital information, I'll use the T2-T2 cable and recall items as haggle points.

Thank you for offering the card, my father lives in London so will see if we can arrange one through his address first - very kind of you!

I'm actually surprised at the value/savings to be had here, an equivalent car from Joe Duffy is 9-10k more expensive!

I'm actually surprised at the value/savings to be had here, an equivalent car from Joe Duffy is 9-10k more expensive!

Yup, for a good few years you didn't have to pay Benefit-in-Kind in the UK on plug-in hybrids and EVs. As a result a whole bunch are coming off lease around now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I drove from just a few miles North of Luton to Holyhead 3 weeks ago when I collected my Leaf.

I used the Ecotricity App and it was great. Half the time, I got a free charge. I decided to stay over 1 night in Wales, because it was too tight driving from London at 11am (ish) to get the last Ferry at 5:30pm.

cros13 wrote: »

You'll be looking at 7.4kW AC 32A at home. 22kW DC is technically possible but would cost €6k + upgrading ESB connection to over double it's current capacity + replacing your house's main board.

Cheapest option is a 32A Type 2 chargepoint: https://evonestop.co.uk/shop/audi/audi-r8-e-tron/wallpod-ev-homecharge-type-2-tethered-cable-5m/
    And get your local electrician to install it (tell him you have a 32A outdoor socket to install, don't say EV chargepoint (it's the same job))

Any thoughts on the chargemaster vs the Rolec when charging an i3?

http://theevcompany.com/product/rolec-charging-unit-32amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Any thoughts on the chargemaster vs the Rolec when charging an i3?

http://theevcompany.com/product/rolec-charging-unit-32amp/

I personally went for the Rolec one because I could get a 3pin socket on the tethered version. Comes in handy when you want to plug in the hoover, or power washer. I also prefer the look of it.

The Rolec is better built.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

goz83 wrote: »
    I drove from just a few miles North of Luton to Holyhead 3 weeks ago when I collected my Leaf.

I used the Ecotricity App and it was great. Half the time, I got a free charge. I decided to stay over 1 night in Wales, because it was too tight driving from London at 11am (ish) to get the last Ferry at 5:30pm.

Just in case anyone else is interested, there is a Stena ferry at 8:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭patseeb

I've driven across the UK a couple of times on the way to London, NL or Germany. I can loan you a set of card for the UK networks if you need them. Ecotricity (who have the rapids at most of the motorway services) now use a mobile app that can be a bit flaky, on the plus side the chargers are supposed to fail open and allow a free charge if they lose connection. Depends on where you are driving from, a Type 2 cable is essential considering this will be your first time long-distance driving an EV, because if you misjudge you can just find the nearest Type 2 post and add a few kWh.

This the european CCS rapid charger network:
    http://ccs-map.eu/

Yup it's EU wide. The powertrain warranty would still be valid on a 2014. It's 8 years / 160,000km.

You should get the Type 2 to Type 2 as that was included in all markets. If not, BMW charge ~€160 which is cheaper than Nissan and the cable is better and self-coiling which keeps it from knotting up.

After over 100,000km I've had no noticeable loss in range. If you are getting a BEV you always have the option to upgrade to the latest battery (~60% bump in range) if you want to... though BMW know how to charge for stuff like that (I think the price is €7k right now). In normal use the battery in the i3 doesn't look like it will hit 70% capacity for 15-20 years, it's temperature managed so it can take much more of a beating the the Leaf's battery for example.

Make sure the motor mounting bolts recall is done and latest software installed.

Hey cros13

I have 161D i3,would mine be a recall fit the mounting bolts?
    Thanks
    Brian

patseeb wrote: »
    Hey cros13

I have 161D i3,would mine be a recall fit the mounting bolts?
    Thanks
    Brian

There are a couple of software updates that remap the torque delivery and traction control to reduce stress on the bolts. Latest in the series was March 2016. If your car was delivered after that date or it's had a dealer software update it should be OK.

There are a couple of software updates that remap the torque delivery and traction control to reduce stress on the bolts. Latest in the series was March 2016. If your car was delivered after that date or it's had a dealer software update it should be OK.

Thank you
    Yeah it was delivered in April 2016 so should be good,I might ring them anyway just to check no recall
    Cheers
    Brian

The i3 took a slight performance hit from those updates... much slower off the line due to a reduction in initial torque. I've been considering asking to go back to the older software :D

The i3 took a slight performance hit from those updates... much slower off the line due to a reduction in initial torque. I've been considering asking to go back to the older software :D

She's definitely got a serious kick so maybe I'll leave it ;-))

• Advertisement

All urgent second-opinion required please!:

I'm improting an i3 from UK. I'm going to fill in VAT411 form in Uk to make car Vat exempt. Will I be liable for VAT from Revenue when I present the Car? Many thanks!

According to Revenue's website:
    Second-hand vehicles purchased by a private individual from a VAT–registered trader, including a motor dealer, in another country
    Where a private individual purchases a second-hand vehicle from a motor dealer or any VAT-registered trader in another country, the price will generally include any VAT or other tax chargeable in that country. This VAT cannot be reclaimed. There is no VAT liability in Ireland. In respect of VRT, the owner of the vehicle must make a booking with an NCTS Centre External link within 7 days of the vehicle entering the State and registration must be completed within 30 days of the vehicle entering the State. The VRT liability can be calculated using the VRT Calculator on the Revenue website.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'm improting an i3 from UK. I'm going to fill in VAT411 form in Uk to make car Vat exempt. Will I be liable for VAT from Revenue when I present the Car? Many thanks!

Second-hand vehicles purchased by a private individual from a VAT–registered trader, including a motor dealer, in another country
    Where a private individual purchases a second-hand vehicle from a motor dealer or any VAT-registered trader in another country, the price will generally include any VAT or other tax chargeable in that country. This VAT cannot be reclaimed. There is no VAT liability in Ireland. In respect of VRT, the owner of the vehicle must make a booking with an NCTS Centre External link within 7 days of the vehicle entering the State and registration must be completed within 30 days of the vehicle entering the State. The VRT liability can be calculated using the VRT Calculator on the Revenue website.

If you present an invoice that clearly shows no VAT paid I believe the NCT centre will ask you to pay VAT.... unless they dont spot it and you get lucky.

Let us know how you go! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

Hi

I drive a Leaf 2013 and we use it for 90% of our driving I also have an ice which we use as second car or long journeys

I am now considering a BMW I3 rex secondhand probably from uk could people please advise best model year to purchase and best spec ie which would you consider best value secondhand

Thanks
    mylesm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

mylesm wrote: »
    Hi

I drive a Leaf 2013 and we use it for 90% of our driving I also have an ice which we use as second car or long journeys

I am now considering a BMW I3 rex secondhand probably from uk could people please advise best model year to purchase and best spec ie which would you consider best value secondhand

Thanks
    mylesm

Best advice on here re i3 - Cross13

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

411 is for new vehicles so completing it is a false declaration by both parties.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-new-means-of-transport-removal-from-the-uk-to-another-member-state-of-the-ec-vat411

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Not if it meets the criteria, i cant see any dealer willing to fill it in if it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

s.welstead wrote: »
    Not if it meets the criteria, i cant see any dealer willing to fill it in if it doesn't.

A motorised land vehicle is not new when more than 6 months have elapsed since the date of its first entry into service (see paragraph 2.3), and

it has, since its first entry into service, travelled under its own power for more than 6000 kilometres.

Is the EU wide definition of what is not new for VAT on means of transport.

If the car fails this criteria then VAT is levied at the NCTS centre as can be seen on the last page of a VRT calc on the revenue site.

The poster gives no indication of whether the vehicle meets or fails these criteria so other the suggestion of a non vat detailed invoice is perhaps misguided.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭stesaurus

A motorised land vehicle is not new when more than 6 months have elapsed since the date of its first entry into service (see paragraph 2.3), and

it has, since its first entry into service, travelled under its own power for more than 6000 kilometres.

Is the EU wide definition of what is not new for VAT on means of transport.

If the car fails this criteria then VAT is levied at the NCTS centre as can be seen on the last page of a VRT calc on the revenue site.

The poster gives no indication of whether the vehicle meets or fails these criteria so other the suggestion of a non vat detailed invoice is perhaps misguided.

Thanks for the quote but I know what the definition of 'new' is, hence why I said if it meets the criteria. You've just jumped straight to the conclusion that it's not new

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

mylesm wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks
    mylesm

Make sure it has DC fast charge. It's rare in the UK on older I3s (very rare on early REXs).

I would also advise the backup camera (also comes with the auto parking) and the better sat nav. They won't add much to the price.

Heatpump isn't an option on the Rex , so while you will see it recommended here it's only on BEVs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

152 D charging in Dunmore East at about 3:15 today, not much space for another car. My first time seeing something hooked up to a charger, though. It was still there an hour later.

Coastguard S92 passed over head not longer after. Think of that chopper differently now, in light of recent events.

Advertisement