Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

152 D charging in Dunmore East at about 3:15 today, not much space for another car. My first time seeing something hooked up to a charger, though. It was still there an hour later.

Coastguard S92 passed over head not longer after. Think of that chopper differently now, in light of recent events.

That was me. Only one spot painted on the ground and didn't realise until I came back that you could hook up two cars. Would have moved further forward otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Best/cheapest place for tyres? Looking online and for the Bridgestone Ecopia EP500:
    Oponeo: Front €141/Rear €133
    PNEUS: Front €133/Rear €122

Then fitting of €10/12 per corner.

What are main dealers looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭KCross

stesaurus wrote: »
    Best/cheapest place for tyres? Looking online and for the Bridgestone Ecopia EP500:
    Oponeo: Front €141/Rear €133
    PNEUS: Front €133/Rear €122

Then fitting of €10/12 per corner.

What are main dealers looking for?

Also try tyreleader.ie. Looks like they are €500 for a set of 4 of those Bridgestones.

Thanks, yeah a little bit cheaper again.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭jerryg

Update on my i3 ownership, Bev 33 Kw bog standard with reversing camera !
    My Car was bought new in Late Sept /Oct 2016.
    My mileage is now over 22,500 km and I expect my annual mileage to be above 33,000.Kms
    My impressions so far are that the i3 is a great car and fulfils all my requirements.
    The farthest I have travelled on one charge is 226 km with 8 % left in the tank all on secondary roads.
    Portlaoise to Kilkennyto (via Athy )Dunshaughlin to Navan to Dunshaughlin.on Friday 2nd June with good ambient temperature around 17 C.(3 adults on board)(charged to 99% not blocking anyone over lunch)
    In winter (Jan 2017) with outside temps of 2-4 C I travelled 150 km to Kilbeggan for coffee and returned with 25% left in the tank.(I had the Flu so I had to get out of the house!)

The car freely does 200 km per charge and the acceleration is hypnotic, I would really miss this if I were to change but fat chance of that happening at the moment.
    I would love if this car had 300 km range and I look forward to the next upgrade (44 Kw) which may give us that. The fact it has only room for four adults is no deterrent for me as all my children are all adults now with their own cars.

Motorway driving really uses charge very quickly as reported in many other posts I find the sweet spot to be 110 km /hr giving 50 km per quarter tank e.g. Naas to Portlaoise approximately 50 Km uses 25% charge.
    eCar charging has for the most part worked very well with the Portlaoise stop my favourite.
    I now drive in comfort mode all the time to experience the acceleration and it is very useful to get out of awkward situations. My average Kw/100 km = 15.5 to date this has crept up as I get used to the car and use the welly more.Braking is mainly by regen and I love this facility makes it so easy to drive I expect my brake pads and discs to last a long time.
    Cost of running is 50 € per 5,000 Km so cheap.using night rate tariff. makes a great commuter car that loves the M50 when traffic is running well .
    Biggest GOM 281 Km on the 30th of May 2017, but it is a Guess O Meter,Lowest of 180 in the frost

2nd hand i3 are now freely available in Britain but make sure you get fast charging ability.
    That's my experience so far see you on the road.

• Advertisement

Is it the Rex model ?

No its a Bev

Thought I'd give this thread a much needed bump seeing as we can add Mad_Lad to the cause now! ;)

So my 2015 22kWh BEV; I'm getting about 80km per charge with latest cold snap, pretty ridiculous. Ok I drive fast and its always motorway but still.

Fully charged and balanced I have max kappa of 16.9kWh. That's been pretty consistent last few weeks. It would be interesting to compare others here.

Also thoughts on value? I adore the car but the range is killing me with my driving habits so I'm thinking of jumping ship. Another i3 but 33kWh, maybe even an i3s, Model S CPO or do I just get something cheap and cheerful to do me for a year or two and then have a bigger choice to choose from. Speed and comfort are my main two needs. Although I could slum it in a Zoe or Leaf :D for a year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

So my 2015 22kWh BEV; I'm getting about 80km per charge with latest cold snap, pretty ridiculous. Ok I drive fast and its always motorway but still.

Fully charged and balanced I have max kappa of 16.9kWh. That's been pretty consistent last few weeks. It would be interesting to compare others here..

Something is off there. I've never seen a battery kapa max on mine below 18.2kWh or a real world range below 110km even after extended driving at 150+. With a lower mileage BEV you should be doing way better than me. I'd say bring it into the dealer and get the battery stats reset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I did post this on other thread, but reading above you get circa 100km on battery before Rex kicks in? how many km with Rex working?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Thought I'd give this thread a much needed bump seeing as we can add Mad_Lad to the cause now! ;)

:D yep loving it, big step up from a Leaf, :D

Fully charged and balanced I have max kappa of 16.9kWh. That's been pretty consistent last few weeks. It would be interesting to compare others here.

How old is your I3 and what's the kms on it ? so say 17 Kwh out of what, 22 new ?

Mine reports 29.5 Kwh.

I drove from Galway to Ballinasloe and 120 kmh in total the whole way on the motorway, another min or two and the rex would have kicked in. It was cold and wet so I thought that was pretty good. Would have got nowhere near that in the Leaf at that speed. The car was also preheated off the battery not plugged in and the battery was not preheated either.
    Also thoughts on value? I adore the car but the range is killing me with my driving habits so I'm thinking of jumping ship. Another i3 but 33kWh, maybe even an i3s, Model S CPO or do I just get something cheap and cheerful to do me for a year or two and then have a bigger choice to choose from. Speed and comfort are my main two needs.

I was thinking about CPO Model S but the cost + the cost if something went wrong would , could be a killer then add to inconvenience.

I3's from about 2014-2015 go for about 19-25 ish and Rex more 25 ish to 27K.

If I were you I'd go for the 33 Kwh but get the Rex, the 33 Kwh also charges faster from the fast chargers than the older i3. You would miss the power and quality.

The BEV only gets more range as it's a bit more efficient + BMW allow more of the battery to be used.
    Although I could slum it in a Zoe or Leaf :D for a year or so.

No you won't haha , no chance ! :D

cros13 wrote: »
    Something is off there. I've never seen a battery kapa max on mine below 18.2kWh or a real world range below 110km even after extended driving at 150+. With a lower mileage BEV you should be doing way better than me. I'd say bring it into the dealer and get the battery stats reset.

Worth a shot I suppose but even at it's best I struggle to get 100km in the summer. My all time average according to the app is 19kWh/100km.
    I'll give JD a ring tomorrow and try head up Saturday if they can fit me in, I want to talk with them anyway about cost to change to a 33kWh.

Its a 2015 with the heat pump so I would hope that the cold doesn't impact it that much but it does, particularly this year.

How old is your I3 and what's the kms on it ? so say 17 Kwh out of what, 22 new ?
    Mine reports 29.5 Kwh.
    July build date 2015 with 62000km on it. 16.9kWh from 19.5kWh usable so fairly big loss if true but I've been told before its not very accurate. Will have to try a reset as mentioned
    I was thinking about CPO Model S but the cost + the cost if something went wrong would , could be a killer then add to inconvenience.
    4 year warranty and I'd be moving on before that ended. Big cost but only live once and I can tell myself I'm saving a fortune in petrol, which is true.
    I3's from about 2014-2015 go for about 19-25 ish and Rex more 25 ish to 27K.
    There's only 1 model like it on Carzone, rest are ReX. 20k for a 2014 no mention of DC or heat pump which mine has, so 20k would be reasonable.

July build date 2015 with 62000km on it. 16.9kWh from 19.5kWh usable so fairly big loss if true but I've been told before its not very accurate. Will have to try a reset as mentioned

3 Ah, I wouldn't consider that a big loss.
    4 year warranty and I'd be moving on before that ended. Big cost but only live once and I can tell myself I'm saving a fortune in petrol, which is true.

Big cost, resale value ?
    There's only 1 model like it on Carzone, rest are ReX. 20k for a 2014 no mention of DC or heat pump which mine has, so 20k would be reasonable.

heat pump is not so effective from 5 deg C and below from 0 and below it's useless anyway.

All preheating uses resistive heater too so all this off the battery not plugged in will have a bad effect on range, but the Rex will ensure you never have any issue.

Also thoughts on value? I adore the car but the range is killing me with my driving habits so I'm thinking of jumping ship. Another i3 but 33kWh, maybe even an i3s, Model S CPO or do I just get something cheap and cheerful to do me for a year or two and then have a bigger choice to choose from. Speed and comfort are my main two needs. Although I could slum it in a Zoe or Leaf :D for a year or so.

Hi Stesaurus,
    I would consider waiting until q.2 or 3 next year 2018 and you may not need a Rex then as the 44 Kw battery is due out.
    This to me will be a real game changer as you will have 270 - 300 Km range.
    My own 162 Bev with no heat pump is returning about 180-200 km even in this cold weather with no motorway travel and returned 180 km from 100% in Kilkenny city via Johnstown to Dunshaughlin with 10% left (50 Km motorway).on a recent trip.
    The value of your 15 Bev can be judged against others for sale on Done Deal,and Auto Trader.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Mine is about the same. 100km if i take it handy (90kph). I do find that the morning time is very similar to summer because car is preconditioned and battery is warm. Going home in the evening is very bad because car needs to be warmed from cold and battery is also cold. so ~ 37% used going in and 57~ coming home. Get home with about 7% left when i'd have around 20%+ in the summer (90km round trip).

I get about 150km taking it handy in the summer so i don't think there is anything wrong with the car.

yeah... that would be highly unusual. There have been a few software issues with the BMS corrected in software updates, getting those applied and then getting the BMS reset should sort it.

This is the last image I have of mine at the beginning of the year:

wdfKPaL.jpg?1

So if I'm seeing no issue....

Also we started with 18.8kWh usable from the factory. The amount released from the reserve with later software updates varied between vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

TBi wrote: »
    Mine is about the same. 100km if i take it handy (90kph). I do find that the morning time is very similar to summer because car is preconditioned and battery is warm. Going home in the evening is very bad because car needs to be warmed from cold and battery is also cold. so ~ 37% used going in and 57~ coming home. Get home with about 7% left when i'd have around 20%+ in the summer (90km round trip).

I get about 150km taking it handy in the summer so i don't think there is anything wrong with the car.

I get about the same in a 142 Rex.

Of course with the Rex the last 7% isn't usable unless your tank is empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,149 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

18kWh usable, 80km range in winter. That's dire. I can't wait to finally test drive an i3, I am a BMW fan and I know it's a great drive, but those kinda specs are out there right with the 2010 Leaf (which seems about 100 years old at this stage)

unkel wrote: »
    18kWh usable, 80km range in winter. That's dire. I can't wait to finally test drive an i3, I am a BMW fan and I know it's a great drive, but those kinda specs are out there right with the 2010 Leaf (which seems about 100 years old at this stage)

80 Kms for the older battery isn't actually that bad, and anyone with a Rex couldn't care less. 80 Kms is still a lot of range on EV for a lot of people.

I managed 120 in the 94 ah at 120 Kph from the start of motorway in Galway to Ballinaslow , another min or two the Rex would have kicked in, it was cold, wet and windy not as good as Ioniq but I'm happy with that. The rex makes a huge difference and having that real range in Winter is also good coming from a 24 Kwh Leaf. A 20 min charge got me back to Carlow, the 94 ah also charges faster on DC.

• Advertisement

I don't know... maybe I've got a charmed battery. I did Portlaoise to Dublin via Tullamore this morning.

It was -2C and freezing, I have my winter tires on which have worse rolling resistance, I hit 145km/h *cough* *cough* I mean a totally legal 120km/h on the motorway, did 94km from Portlaoise to the Enfield eastbound rapid and I got there with ~17% remaining.

My day to day commute up the M7 to Dublin is 92km, I usually get there with ~25% in winter and drive fairly rapidly the whole way. In summer I can do it with ~40% remaining.

I do precondition everything though.

I think wet roads have a greater impact than cold dry roads, but wet and cold will hammer range more, then throw in wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

I don't know... maybe I've got a charmed battery. I did Portlaoise to Dublin via Tullamore this morning.

It was -2C and freezing, I have my winter tires on which have worse rolling resistance, I hit 145km/h *cough* *cough* I mean a totally legal 120km/h on the motorway, did 94km from Portlaoise to the Enfield eastbound rapid and I got there with ~17% remaining.

My day to day commute up the M7 to Dublin is 92km, I usually get there with ~25% in winter and drive fairly rapidly the whole way. In summer I can do it with ~40% remaining.

Not to derail the thread, but would you expect similar range in a 30kWh Leaf?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,149 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That probably makes a difference alright. I entered a freezing Ioniq yesterday (fully charged), outside temp -3C and it showed a range of 205km without aircon and just 175km with aircon. At that time the aircon was using 6.5kW :D The range indicator was obviously programmed to take current heater power use into account.

Heats up the car / defrosts all the windows in about 60s. Fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Im sure all you current i3 owners know this one, but just in case....
    https://speakev.com/threads/i3-heating-deactivated.87545/

You have to manually enable the heating in a menu each time, even when its plugged in! :rolleyes:

I didn't know that Sunday but only had the car 4 days and I must say it was a right pain.

Soarer wrote: »
    Not to derail the thread, but would you expect similar range in a 30kWh Leaf?

Better. My i3 has a 22kWh pack and would be equivalent to the 24kWh Leaf in range terms.

I drove to work this morning 72 Kms and 51 % battery . The Tyres were 22-28 PSI pumped to 36 front and 44 rear the max allowed, they're skinny tyres so need more air.

I really noticed how well it coasts after that, those skinny hard tyres make a real difference.

Yesterday I got to work at slower speed and had around the same battery but it was colder, today I drove at 120 from Carlow/Castledermot on the M9 exit all the way to big ball then 110-120 the rest to Kingswood on the N7 and into work about 4 kms 60-80 Km/h. A lot more than I would have in the leaf at that speed.

Helped by the tyre pressure ? most likely I noticed the tyre pressure makes a noteable difference in the leaf. The milder weather helped too about 4 deg this morning compared to about -2.5 - -3.5 yesterday morning.

Economy showed about 21 Kwh/100 Km by the time I got to work. So in warmer weather you could get close to 180 Km from the I3 33 Kwh at 100-110. I remember getting about 172 Kms to Galway from Dublin in the test i3 in July all on battery "110 Km/h and the Rex kicked in about 5 mins before the fast charger, if I had not got the Rex I would have stopped on route, Rex is dead handy it allowed me to say, ah screw it I'll keep going.

Anyway I'm delighted with the car had some fun in it on the way home last night, the grip from the RWD is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

I drove to work this morning 72 Kms and 51 % battery . The Tyres were 22-28 PSI pumped to 36 front and 44 rear the max allowed, they're skinny tyres so need more air.

I really noticed how well it coasts after that, those skinny hard tyres make a real difference.

Yesterday I got to work at slower speed and had around the same battery but it was colder, today I drove at 120 from Carlow/Castledermot on the M9 exit all the way to big ball then 110-120 the rest to Kingswood on the N7 and into work about 4 kms 60-80 Km/h. A lot more than I would have in the leaf at that speed.

Helped by the tyre pressure ? most likely I noticed the tyre pressure makes a noteable difference in the leaf. The milder weather helped too about 4 deg this morning compared to about -2.5 - -3.5 yesterday morning.

Economy showed about 21 Kwh/100 Km by the time I got to work. So in warmer weather you could get close to 180 Km from the I3 33 Kwh at 100-110. I remember getting about 172 Kms to Galway from Dublin in the test i3 in July all on battery "110 Km/h and the Rex kicked in about 5 mins before the fast charger, if I had not got the Rex I would have stopped on route, Rex is dead handy it allowed me to say, ah screw it I'll keep going.

Anyway I'm delighted with the car had some fun in it on the way home last night, the grip from the RWD is amazing.

Can I borrow it for a day, please ;);)

• Advertisement

peposhi wrote: »
    Can I borrow it for a day, please ;);)

If you're around Carlow any time and I'm not working then sure. ;)

Advertisement