Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Mokuba wrote: »
    I was on the Miami flight in November and it was perhaps 20% full. I have never seen any transatlantic flight so empty.

Surely say, Las Vegas, would be a more popular route for them?

In all fairness, that is one token flight out of how many operated? It's been very busy as of late. The AA joint venture will only allow more success for that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Elaine762

Jack1985 wrote: »
    In all fairness, that is one token flight out of how many operated? It's been very busy as of late. The AA joint venture will only allow more success for that route.

They applied in December and still waiting on approval. How long does the JV take to be approved by DOT?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Aer Lingus don’t reveal load factors on individual routes do they ? Wonder if they will replace Miami a330 with a321 lr?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Aer Lingus don’t reveal load factors on individual routes do they ? Wonder if they will replace Miami a330 with a321 lr?

Too far I reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Idbatterim wrote:

No but for many of their routes they are the sole operator, and some airports provide overall route statistics, so you can deduce from those sometimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There is a lot more involved than load factors.

Freight in the hold could alone cover costs.

Seattle is either packed, or empty in economy but business class is routinely sold out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

I think Aer Lingus should be following Finnair’s route planning tbh. Multiple connections daily to Asia and the US for a country just minutely larger than Ireland. No reason why Aer Lingus shouldn’t follow this sort of plan.

EI need to get back into Scandinavia for a start, Norwegian are in serious trouble and SAS are still recovering so wouldn't be in a position to fight.

Asia is a challenge, Ireland has never had serious business there.

Had EI got its 350's it should have been into Hong Kong, but would need Cathay and Oneworld to get the bookings in. Need to ensure at destination has a reasonably easy visa policy to minimise friction.

Asia is of course the wrong direction for connections from most of Europe via Dublin

Won't see Russia either Aeroflot already offer a proper business offering the numbers are not there really and the visa situation is painful.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    I think Aer Lingus should be following Finnair’s route planning tbh. Multiple connections daily to Asia and the US for a country just minutely larger than Ireland. No reason why Aer Lingus shouldn’t follow this sort of plan.

Finnair's Helsinki hub gives them a geographical advantage for the Asian flights. Something EI doesn't have for Asia, but certainly does for North America.

As long as EI are able to achieve the growth and return on their growing North American operation then they'll stick to what they're good at

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Think DUB-MIA is 8 1/2 hours?
    A321LR range is 7 hours I believe.
    Open to a more detailed figures
    They are already doing so. Just without the Asian routes.
    About 15-20 years ago Finnair marketed themselves (and Helsinki) as a convenient link between Eastern USA and Asia.
    Similarly they offered an alternative from Europe to the then busy hubs of AMS, CDG, LHR and FRA.

EI started doing the same for USA to Europe about 8 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Fantasy routemaps I’m afraid.

Finnair’s route planning thrives off Helsinki’s geographical location which makes it ideal
    for Asia and the Far East. Meanwhile, Ireland’s geographical location makes it ideal for North America which is what fuels Aer Lingus’ route planning.

Fortunately for Finnair they can also make North America work for them because of the huge market it happens to be whereas Aer Lingus can’t do the same to Asia, it would need connections to be sustainable and Ireland’s geographical location in this instance goes against Aer Lingus, most Europeans would be backtracking which would require lowers fares on already lower yielding markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Ireland is in the wrong place; we have NA flights instead.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Does anyone know if with the start of the summer schedule will the EI LCY flights move to T2? It seems pointless that they take up a gate space at T1 and are bussed to T2. Couldn’t that flight at least move to the south gates?

DAA has again dug up the apron between T1 and T2 which is blocking up gates. Once finished it might help

If Norwegian are still flying, then no space, if the are not flying its a possibility.

DAA has again dug up the apron between T1 and T2 which is blocking up gates. Once finished it might help

If Norwegian are still flying, then no space, if the are not flying its a possibility.

When will that work be completed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Am I just imagining it or is the EI fleet starting to be allowed to age a lot since the IAG merger. The aircraft are averaging 13.3 years old.

What's due to be delivered ?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Locker10a wrote: »
    Does anyone know if with the start of the summer schedule will the EI LCY flights move to T2? It seems pointless that they take up a gate space at T1 and are bussed to T2. Couldn’t that flight at least move to the south gates?

They won't move to contact stands anyway, but maybe they'll start treating them like EI regional and use 335 for departures.

They won't move to contact stands anyway, but maybe they'll start treating them like EI regional and use 335 for departures.

Fair enough, but I just don’t see the point in them blocking a T1 gate

Anteayer wrote: »
    Am I just imagining it or is the EI fleet starting to be allowed to age a lot since the IAG merger. The aircraft are averaging 13.3 years old.

Brand new A321neo deliveries will start this summer

4 brand new A330's have arrived since IAG rolled into town.

8-12 new A321 NEO LR's on order will replace the 3 remaining A321ceo's which are the oldest in the fleet.

EI-LAX which is the oldest in the fleet looks brand new inside, EI maintenance standards are top notch, only the most eagle eyed would be able to tell a new aircraft from an old one (mainly the PSU's on airbus give it away)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

The idea that IAG call all the shots is a bit of myth. The factors behind the age of a fleet varies, everything from effeciency, lease costs, ownership costs and the timings of maintenance checks all play a part.

Another myth is that a young fleet is automatically more profitable, a young fleet is actually very expensive in terms of ownership and leases. The Aer Lingus approach for short haul in recent years has to been to replace leases on a like for like basis often securing better rates on similarly aged frames rather than investing in brand new aircraft.

The long haul fleet has been growing through a mix of brand new deliveries and new leases on second hand frames.

In terms of a full fleet renewal for short haul, that would need be a decision for Aer Lingus management to make and then approach IAG with the business plan going forward in order to secure the required investment and eventual order.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Ah yes, the March of time generally increases the age of things.....

By Q3 2020 when the B757s are replaced by brand new A321LRs you will see that average age statistic drop rather significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭sherology

Flown a lot in the old a321ceos (Gran Canaria) over the autumn winter, and inside they're spotless. 2hr tech delay on last return, but they seem reliable... And with running through the airport I caught the late-last bus to Limerick.

TBH, with seat densification going on on all other European airlines, EI have the least # of seats on their a320/321... So keep'em maintained and shiney, and we're all set. The leather seats are very 'dull' visually though... nothing very Irish about the interior per se.

Do we know if the new a321lr's will be getting the XL overhead bins? Seems wise given the usual clamour for space.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭thecutter

Flying to Malaga this coming Sunday, is there anyway to find out which A330 is operating on EI0582?
    We have paid for the premium seats, just hoping our configuration isn't changed and its the lie flat seats

thecutter wrote: »
    Flying to Malaga this coming Sunday, is there anyway to find out which A330 is operating on EI0582?
    We have paid for the premium seats, just hoping our configuration isn't changed and its the lie flat seats

Fingers crossed for you, absolutely nothing worse than not being able to lie completely flat for a sleep on a middle of the day two and a half hour flight....!!
    Jokes aside, I don’t think the “odd one out” business class cabin is ever used on the Europe a330 flights so I’d say you’re pretty safe

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

thecutter wrote: »

It's down as EI-FNG at the moment but could change. I'm sure when the A330 does AGP it's always a -300 pretty much so no worries with the seats. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭thecutter

Fingers crossed for you, absolutely nothing worse than not being able to lie completely flat for a sleep on a middle of the day two and a half hour flight....!!
    Jokes aside, I don’t think the “odd one out” business class cabin is ever used on the Europe a330 flights so I’d say you’re pretty safe

It's a 7am flight, on a night where the clocks go forward and I'm 90 mins from the airport :)

That's my excuse anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Lads quick question - I'm flying to Miami in May and I've noticed on expertflyer that the business class cabin on the A330 is a 2-2-2 config with four rows only, does this mean its on EI-GEY the old Qatar aircraft? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ73Q4DwrGM

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

All the questions about -GEY, its like a return to the days of 7459 questions about PTV's!!! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement