Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    If I was them I would have taken the full hit at Shannon and cancelled a route there entirely. Not popular but the hub is where the future is.

Try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Tenger wrote: »
    If Hartford is getting A321LR from August 2nd I’m guessing delivery now due 4-5 days before hand?
    We should see assembly site photos in late June/early July.

Schedules indicate a second due in service on 1 Sep. Would like to see what backup plans they have. Luckly for them there wasn’t a lot of PR damage done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Try harder.

Not trying to wind people up at all, just think protecting the hub would be the priority.

I guess the SNN operation makes more € for EI though than the routes cut in Dublin so i get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 irishkopite93

Is the RJ painted in full livery bad news for Stobarts hope of renewing their franchise agreement? Or do they even want to renew it?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

Is the RJ painted in full livery bad news for Stobarts hope of renewing their franchise agreement? Or do they even want to renew it?

I don't see how these two are supposed to be connected? Are you suggesting that CityJet are going to be taking over the Regional ops?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Is the RJ painted in full livery bad news for Stobarts hope of renewing their franchise agreement?  Or do they even want to renew it?

The agreement between CityJet and Aer Lingus on the London City route is independent of the Aer Lingus Regional franchise and shouldn't have much bearing on the future of the contract.

Last we heard publicly was that CityJet/Air Nostrum were considering a bid via their Hibernian Airlines start up while Stobart was asking for a three year extension. Interestingly, I've seen no Aer Lingus Regional branding communicated in the new look since the update.

I don't see how these two are supposed to be connected? Are you suggesting that CityJet are going to be taking over the Regional ops?

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/stobart-gets-set-to-face-aer-lingus-challengers-37007399.html

It has been suggested that they'll be challenging for the contract. I'm just curious if there's a reason the RJ got the new livery ahead of the ATR's? Is there any plan to schedule the ATR's for painting?

Or is it an early indication that city jet have in fact been successful in their challenge for the regional ops?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's not an early indication of anything. The LCY deal is unconnected. It got the livery as it wasn't in a proper colour scheme at all.

Many of the ATRs are too new to be approaching their first repaint yet either.

A WX bid for the full franchise agreement would involve new aircraft - the RJ is an oddity for its limited route alone

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/stobart-gets-set-to-face-aer-lingus-challengers-37007399.html

It has been suggested that they'll be challenging for the contract. I'm just curious if there's a reason the RJ got the new livery ahead of the ATR's? Is there any plan to schedule the ATR's for painting?

Or is it an early indication that city jet have in fact been successful in their challenge for the regional ops?

When CityJet started the route in October it was noted at the time that the aircraft were only receiving a temporary livery ahead of the new one being unveiled in January, one of the planes that had those temporary titles was then sold, so another was brought in to operate the route, in the process getting the full livery as has been unveiled. Most of the ATRs are relatively new aircraft(3-4 years old) and probably don't need a repaint as part of their scheduled maintenance yet, and I'd imagine there's more of a priority on A320/A330 aircraft, if/when ATRs are up for repaint or after mainline aircraft are done I'd imagine they'll receive the new livery.

L1011 wrote: »
    It's not an early indication of anything. The LCY deal is unconnected. It got the livery as it wasn't in a proper colour scheme at all.

Many of the ATRs are too new to be approaching their first repaint yet either.

A WX bid for the full franchise agreement would involve new aircraft - the RJ is an oddity for its limited route alone

Is there a reason Stobart didn't push for the LCY route? The ATR is capable of steep approach and I think they previously did LCY in the AerArann days?

Also they have E190s if it was a case of AerLingus preferring a jet on the route.

And despite the age of the ATR's surely there'll be a timeframe for them to get the re-brand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is there a reason Stobart didn't push for the LCY route? The ATR is capable of steep approach and I think they previously did LCY in the AerArann days?

Also they have E190s if it was a case of AerLingus preferring a jet on the route.

And despite the age of the ATR's surely there'll be a timeframe for them to get the re-brand?

Because a third airline in competition wouldn't work on it.

If the ATRs are retained they'll be repainted when due, same as mainline craft

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

STK also operate for BACF using one of the E-190's.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

STK also operate for BACF using one of the E-190's.

Actually 2, abs they operate for KLM on the E195

Regardless of A320/321/330 or ATR, im surprised at how slow the re brand is taking. I get that it takes a long time etc and you need to take the aircraft out of service but would have thought there would be more done by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Regardless of A320/321/330 or ATR, im surprised at how slow the re brand is taking. I get that it takes a long time etc and you need to take the aircraft out of service but would have thought there would be more done by now.

The overall rebrand has moved at considerable pace, digital, airport signage and printed work but the repaint has indeed been very slow, just five repaints in two months. I don't know how much hanger space IAC have or how many aircraft they can do at a time but the British Airways retrojets may have taken up some of their time. 

Summer is around the corner so they'd want to pick up the pace.

The overall rebrand has moved at considerable pace, digital, airport signage and printed work but the repaint has indeed been very slow, just five repaints in two months. I don't know how much hanger space IAC have or how many aircraft they can do at a time but the British Airways retrojets may have taken up some of their time. 

I was under the impression that repainting would be very gradual, and more being done as aircraft need it or are due it, and this is one of the reasons the overall cost of the rebrand was so low

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Repainting will be done to the same schedule as would have been the case without a rebrand.

They won't be repainting any aircraft before due "just because". If an aircraft is due a repaint in 3 months or 3 years then that's when it will get it.

This is why the rebrand/refresh cost "only" €2m

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Repainting will be done to the same schedule as would have been the case without a rebrand.

They won't be repainting any aircraft before due "just because". If an aircraft is due a repaint in 3 months or 3 years then that's when it will get it.

This is why the rebrand/refresh cost "only" €2m

^^^^ This.
    EI made it clear in their press release that the overall cost of the rebrand was to be very low (due to now unnecessary painting) and that the whole fleet would be repainted by Summer 2021.
    (ow I cant say if that 'whole fleet' includes franchise operators)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Isn’t the Lufthansa livery rollout slated to take something mad like 8 years to complete? Massive fleet but I guess your ratio of repainting depending on fleet age is going to be similar. I’m not sure 2-2.5 years is all that long at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Isn’t the Lufthansa livery rollout slated to take something mad like 8 years.

Will be done by 2023

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Shn99 wrote: »
    Will be done by 2023

Ah, I had read on FlightGlobal it was going to take much longer. 2023 is still 5 years.

Is the second Avro still at FCO getting repainted?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭cson

AA are still rolling with some aircraft in their classic livery (MD-88s for the most part),

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

cson wrote: »
    AA are still rolling with some aircraft in their classic livery (MD-88s for the most part),

Only the MD’s are in the old livery, none are being painted as they’re all getting retired by next year. One 737 in the old silver but is being kept as a “heritage” jet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Is the second Avro still at FCO getting repainted?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭cson

Only the MD’s are in the old livery, none are being painted as they’re all getting retired by next year. One 737 in the old silver but is being kept as a “heritage” jet!

They actually have a lot of aircraft in retro livery;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airlines_fleet

Flew on the US Airways one recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

This is true! Similar to the heritage theme that BA are doing, which I think is brilliant! Shame the TWA one didn’t go on one of the ex TW 757’s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Are all of the A330 aircrafts painted in the new livery now?

Phil.x wrote: »
    Are all of the A330 aircrafts painted in the new livery now?

Absolutely not, only one so far...scroll up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

AA did a great thing about 5 years ago.
    There changed their Business class amenity kits so that each month it was in thr colours of one of their merged airlines.
    I was tempted to buy a couple on ebay but shiipping wasnt worth it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement