Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Vladimir Putin appreciation thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Egginacup wrote: »
    Vlad's awesome.

His brother was killed during the Nazi siege of Leningrad so he's been personally affected by outside aggression. He's not going to bend to the will of a bunch of Harvard suits in Washington trying to realise their orgasm of world domination.

G'wan the Vlad

The people on board of MH-17 dont agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

If you're blue and you don't know where to go to
    Why don't you go where fashion sits,
    Putin on the ritz.

http://i.imgur.com/9vw5l2e.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Thomas_.

nokia69 wrote: »
    when was Putin the head of the KGB

During the 1980s in the GDR, there he was the "head of the KGB" but not "the head" of the KGB itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Thomas_. wrote: »
    During the 1980s in the GDR, there he was the "head of the KGB" but not "the head" of the KGB itself.

so he was never the head of the KGB

thanks

nokia69 wrote: »
    so he was never the head of the KGB

thanks

Well, not the top one but as it happened in the then sattelite states of the Eastern Bloc, each country had it´s "KGB head" there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Is Russia the only country in the world where leaders are considered great based on how people they have killed?

In other words, the more people you kill the greater you are viewed. Stalin is positively lionised in Russia today and among the left elsewhere. What a man, the way he dealt with all those defenceless minority ethnic groups, and returning POWs and dissidents and so on.

What a leader. Not like those human rights loving leaders in the west.

The more destruction and anarchy Putin sows outside his country, the more he is admired by some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Putin wasn't head of the KGB as such.

But he was director of the agency the KGB effectively became - the FSB.

And when he became President he put the FSB under his direct control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

inforfun wrote: »
    The people on board of MH-17 dont agree.

The conspiracy theories are in a separate forum...I'd wager many the ruble he has less blood on his hands than Mr.Obama.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Is Russia the only country in the world where leaders are considered great based on how people they have killed?

In other words, the more people you kill the greater you are viewed. Stalin is positively lionised in Russia today and among the left elsewhere. What a man, the way he dealt with all those defenceless minority ethnic groups, and returning POWs and dissidents and so on.

What a leader. Not like those human rights loving leaders in the west.

The more destruction and anarchy Putin sows outside his country, the more he is admired by some.

No, it's actually quite common across the world
    Mao is still revered in China, Napoleon is a heroic figure in France, the Spanish still regard the reconquista as something to celebrate every year. I'm sure there's more, these are just the first examples to spring to mind.

fran17 wrote: »
    The conspiracy theories are in a separate forum...I'd wager many the ruble he has less blood on his hands than Mr.Obama.

I´d rather wait with such assessments until the conflict in Ukraine is defenitely over which isn´t quite yet the case.

• Advertisement

In the case of Putin and Russia its easy to be popular when you murder, exile or threaten opponents, shut down most of their means of expression and platforms, bring in laws that restrict everyone and basically scare everyone sh*tless. The Russian public are fed 24/7 pro Kremlin propaganda in which he is treated as a demi-god and all the negatives convienently ignored.

Funny how when America invades a nation they are condemned. When Russia invades a nation they are hailed and admired usually by the same people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

I´d rather wait with such assessments until the conflict in Ukraine is defenitely over which isn´t quite yet the case.

Thats a civil war,initiated by Mr.Obama and his cronies.To put blame on Russia would mean putting blame on uncle Sam.

Thats a civil war,initiated by Mr.Obama and his cronies.To put blame on Russia would mean putting blame on uncle Sam.

First I thought I´ve had misread your post but then I realised that you might mean that serious.

The only primar initiative regarding the "grabbing of territory" was initiated by Putin himself in his support of separatists with and by all means. He´s the one depicting the Ukrainians as fascists while he´s doing nothing else like Hitler did in the years 1938 to 1939 just with the difference that the Ukrainians were and are fighting back.

Having a look on the map displaying the recent developments in that area, he might go even further to get direct access to the Crimea via the further grab of territoriy by his Russian separatists. To have access to the peninsula via the sea is still (and even in Winter) a matter with difficulties.

I fear that this story is far from over yet.

Shenshen wrote: »
    No, it's actually quite common across the world
    Mao is still revered in China, Napoleon is a heroic figure in France, the Spanish still regard the reconquista as something to celebrate every year. I'm sure there's more, these are just the first examples to spring to mind.

I was just thinking about whether there might be some similar figure in Ireland´s history but I couldn´t find one, not even Dev who´s held responsible for the Irish Civil War could match with those "big fellas" like Mao & Co.. So, Ireland is the exception there.

I am only mentioning the MH-17
    What the flying **** has Obama to do with that?

Open a separate thread if you want to discuss the blood on obama's hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

MH 17 probably shouldnt have flown over a war zone.

It probably shouldnt have been shot down.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I was just thinking about whether there might be some similar figure in Ireland´s history but I couldn´t find one, not even Dev who´s held responsible for the Irish Civil War could match with those "big fellas" like Mao & Co.. So, Ireland is the exception there.

The english love Cromwell. Well, love him and hate him. And he killed more english people than Irish people. The world is a funny place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

crybaby wrote: »
    It was EXACTLY that type of thinking that led to the likes of Hitler and Mussolini becoming so loved

He is a vile excuse for a human being.

Hilter tried to wipe out the Jews and we make a big deal of it.
    The entire weastern world wants to wipe out the Muslims nobody cares! :)

Grayson wrote: »
    The english love Cromwell. Well, love him and hate him. And he killed more english people than Irish people. The world is a funny place.

Yes, and he also was a "religious zealot"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Best leader they've had since Joe Stalin. A brand I trust. Appointed by a drunk. A thief supreme. A murderer of journalists.
    Little known fact: he actually body doubles for rats in several b-list horror movies.

And then on the opposing side we have Obama, the Goldman Sachs presidential appointee, protector of Bankers and such unpunished criminals. The man who forgot to close Guantanamo. A global agressor. Murderer of farmers and wedding parties, of mothers & kids travelling to school. Obama the drone strike killer has it all covered. But hey, it's all good, because it saves putting boots on the ground. Heck, if he's not authorising the death of anyone he deems to be an enemy. Then his spy agencies will hack and spy on their own allies. Good guy Obama probably even bought Angela a new phone for Christmas, jusy to make up for his sins.

Presider over an out of control police state, were you can get shot dead for holding a broom in your hand. Where cops will choke you to death on the street, if they erroneously suspect you're selling cigarettes. Obama, the man who'll ignore democratic elections and turn a blind eye to a military coup d'etat in Egypt. Why? Because it's good for business. The man who did nothing, as hundreds of children were murdered last summer by Bibi's war dogs in Gaza. And all by nice shiny hi-tech US military equipment.

Obama, the man who once critised Bush for bypassing Congress, yet he has bypassed Congress on an unprecedented level for a sitting US president. In a nation where high powered, corporate financed super pacs, determines who really rules. Obama is nothing more that a hypocrite contained within an enigma, all wrapped up by a paradox. So if someone asked me, who do I trust less and fear more, Putin or Obama? It's Obama for me and it's not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

And then on the opposing side we have Obama, the Goldman Sachs presidential appointee, protector of Bankers and such unpunished criminals. The man who forgot to close Guantanamo. A global agressor. Murderer of farmers and wedding parties, of mothers & kids travelling to school. Obama the drone strike killer has it all covered. But hey, it's all good, because it saves putting boots on the ground. Heck, if he's not authorising the death of anyone he deems to be an enemy. Then his spy agencies will hack and spy on their own allies. Good guy Obama probably even bought Angela a new phone for Christmas, jusy to make up for his sins.

Presider over an out of control police state, were you can get shot dead for holding a broom in your hand. Where cops will choke you to death on the street, if they erroneously suspect you're selling cigarettes. Obama, the man who'll ignore democratic elections and turn a blind eye to a military coup d'etat in Egypt. Why? Because it's good for business. The man who did nothing, as hundreds of children were murdered last summer by Bibi's war dogs in Gaza. And all by nice shiny hi-tech US military equipment.

Obama, the man who once critised Bush for bypassing Congress, yet he has bypassed Congress on an unprecedented level for a sitting US president. In a nation where high powered, corporate financed super pacs, determines who really rules. Obama is nothing more that a hypocrite contained within an enigma, all wrapped up by a paradox. So if someone asked me, who do I trust less and fear more, Putin or Obama? It's Obama for me and it's not even close.

It's possible to think that the hierarchy of both the US and Russia are cu*ts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

He has to be one of the greatest leaders the world has ever known, not just a stuffed suit like his wooden American counterpart. His steadfast resolve in the face of a proxy war being waged in Ukraine has to be admired, a war that would never have happened if billions weren't poured into Ukraine to kickstart a coup.

Like him or loathe him there is no doubt that Vladimir Putin is a very shrewd operator who is consistently one step ahead of the game.

You should see his brother, Sylvest !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Rumour has it he was the instigator of the whole Harlem Shake phenomenon that took the internet by storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Russia is the 3rd most dangerous place to live. Much of the assassinations are political including the likes of Litvinenko with that case of pilonium poisoning. Honey traps against gay people operate freely in Russia. Scenes of gay people being beaten on streets during Sochi Olympics came out. Then you've got bans on so called gay propaganda, bans on transgender taxi drivers. Him implying that gay people are paedophiles. Political opponents are regularly jailed. Sounds like a lovely chap who wishes Russia to be a free and equal society.

Grayson wrote: »

I think the reason these people are "loved" is because they bring a form of peace and stability and certainty that there wasn't before. Yes they are all brutal dictators but you know its safe to leave the keys in your front door or car, you know there's probably a job for life, your pensions will be secure and the trains will run on time. There's a lot to be said for fear I suppose.

Putin inherited a mess, as did Napolean, Stalin and a few others. They bring stability for a while. But its never fully sustainable. That and the fact they have propaganda on their side. No-one was going to say a bad word about Mao then or now.

I think the reason these people are "loved" is because they bring a form of peace and stability and certainty that there wasn't before. Yes they are all brutal dictators but you know its safe to leave the keys in your front door or car, you know there's probably a job for life, your pensions will be secure and the trains will run on time. There's a lot to be said for fear I suppose.

Putin inherited a mess, as did Napolean, Stalin and a few others. They bring stability for a while. But its never fully sustainable. That and the fact they have propaganda on their side. No-one was going to say a bad word about Mao then or now.

That´s a very interesting statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Want will we do tonight Vladimir....
    The same theing we do every night....

TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The peace, stability and safety is great as long as your not on the list of undesirables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

I hear hes an excellent Command and Conquer player

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement