Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ed Sheeran - Croke Park - July 24th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Remember folks the park and ride at red cow was full by 4.30 yesterday so have a back up park and ride if the same happens today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Bluetonic wrote:
    Should be plenty of parking on Grace Park Road between Richmond Road and Griffith Avenue at the back of All Hollows (no bus lane, no free way, no paid parking), or if you don't mind the walk (30 minutes) then Whitehall Church would be a better option than Onmi, again free.

Thanks a million! We're on the way up now so we will check that out. Really appreciate your help :)

Getting excited now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Glen Hansard doing raglan road

Gavin James doing hello are the two guest for tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

but1er wrote: »
    Glen Hansard doing raglan road

Gavin James doing hello are the two guest for tonight

Close :) Glen Hansard did Molly Malone & The Auld Triangle with Ed & the Kodaline lads. One of them proposed to their gf on stage too it was very sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Lads I'm aware that this probably isn't the place to post this but I was working at Croke tonight and found a ring of some sort on my way home around the end of the Summerhill road. If anyone thinks they've lost it will you PM me describing it, it's a very distinctive design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Close :) Glen Hansard did Molly Malone & The Auld Triangle with Ed & the Kodaline lads. One of them proposed to their gf on stage too it was very sweet!

Gutted never Gavin James never got out on stage! Needs that big push!

Another person proposed at a ed sheeran gig?? Getting old and boring

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

What a load of rubbish :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

but1er wrote: »
    Gutted never Gavin James never got out on stage! Needs that big push!

Another person proposed at a ed sheeran gig?? Getting old and boring

He did! Gavin James came out and did a song with Jamie Lawson -was great to see them both play together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

The proposal was a sweet moment. Especially cause Ed seems to be the sort of person that would allow that to happen and think it special too.

I'm also guessing it was Ed's influence that chucked in the minor 7th into the Auld Triangle. Nice touch.

But when they started Molly Malone I thought it a bit predictably naff.

But then, not having been in Dublin for years, and then after getting a bit of the Croke Park backstreet vibe, and hearing the old canny Dublin street traders giving out to the visitors who though they could strike a deal. Priceless. And then the elderly security man who had checked my ticket 5 or 6 times at 317 Davin stand and who every time made me laugh with a different joke, and the younger incredibly enthusiastic security lady who did the same, both Dubs. I understood what the moment was about, and so we all sung our hearts out along with the rest of them. Magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Kettleson wrote: »
    And then the elderly security man who had checked my ticket 5 or 6 times at 317 Davin stand and who every time made me laugh with a different joke, and the younger incredibly enthusiastic security lady who did the same, both Dubs.

Has to be the same guy as the Friday night. What a man, he was giving it socks to some of the songs, someone who looked like he loved his job aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Good pic

11754257_10206770109107322_284475913786457109_n.jpg

duffman13 wrote: »
    Has to be the same guy as the Friday night. What a man, he was giving it socks to some of the songs, someone who looked like he loved his job aswell.

I'd say it was. They both had me in stitches. He was telling me that a man had turned up years ago with his son to see the Hurling final, when he actually had tickets for the Football final 2 weeks later. But he found them a seat and told him to come back in 2 weeks time. We had a laugh at that.

I'm not sure if that's true, and he's probably told that story a thousand times but it didn't matter. It all helped to make it a very memorable visit to Croke Park. And Ed was good too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Why cant you bring drinks onto the pitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

bigpink wrote: »
    Why cant you bring drinks onto the pitch?

You could

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Trying to get a beer on the pitch was a joke with people jumping queues and the cops trying to stop them but they weren't listening.

Anyway excellent gig

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

How upbeat was his music? Not dissing his music but most of it seems to be whingy love songs...how does that keep 80,000 people entertained?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

mfceiling wrote: »
    How upbeat was his music? Not dissing his music but most of it seems to be whingy love songs...how does that keep 80,000 people entertained?
    because they don't have ADHD? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I'm not a big fan of public marriage proposals.

Anyway, regarding the show...Sheeran is a talented man and puts on quite the show.

Bloodstream was my favourite song of the night, although my bias towards all things Tolkien almost meant that I See Fire took that award :-)

Bell X1 were top class too.

Kodaline though...the best word I can think of to describe them is vanilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

You obviously haven't listened to much of his songs so. Ed Sheeran puts on a phenomenal show.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

If you want to see yourself even just listen to the first song here, it's from Vicar Street last year. I know it's a smaller venue but it still gives you a good idea.

• Advertisement

Ed Sheeran is an extraordinary talent, the likes of which don't come along very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭dublinjen

Ed Sheeran is an extraordinary talent, the likes of which don't come along very often.

I don't know if I'd say extraordinarily talented. I think he's quite special in that despite fame he appears to be a genuinely generous, down to earth, nice guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The fact he was trying to make it for so long should tell you something.

I believe the are some extraordinary talents out there that will never hit big and never get their 'break'.
    I've seen many of these artists come and go and always wondered why.
    The industry is extremely fickle and even acts that do make it can be turfed into the corner without warning.

Anyway, that's OT...
    From what I heard, for a 1 man act to pull off a show in Croker, respect is due!

whiskeyman wrote: »
    The fact he was trying to make it for so long should tell you something.

I believe the are some extraordinary talents out there that will never hit big and never get their 'break'.
    I've seen many of these artists come and go and always wondered why.
    The industry is extremely fickle and even acts that do make it can be turfed into the corner without warning.

Anyway, that's OT...
    From what I heard, for a 1 man act to pull off a show in Croker, respect is due!

Generally I would agree with everything that you have said, I would however say that Ed Sheeran is an exception to your general comments. IMO he is going to be around for a long time.

I would also not necessarily agree with your view "The fact he was trying to make it for so long should tell you something".

His career progress has been steadily upward, based on his own ability and he is still very young. He has taken the industry (major labels) by surprise, and unlike so many flash-in-the-pan artists, he did not need their intensive support to produce/manufacture his music. He did that of his own ability.

It is my opinion he will be around for a long time, if he so wishes. Whilst the likes of his contemporaries such as Sam Smith will be over and done in a few years max.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Wow. If you mean extraordinary bland then yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Irish_rat wrote: »
    There was nothing bland about the gigs in Croker

Irish_rat wrote: »

Why not post up some unbland stuff of your choice for us to have a listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

He seems a pretty decent guy and a pretty good pop singer who can write catchy songs but lets not get a bit too overboard with the extraordinary talented stuff. I think he's dumbed down his music a lot from his pre-fame stuff really. I could never imagine him doing stuff like 'Sing' a few years ago but fair play if he's figured out that's what sells. Plenty of so called 'flash in the pan' artists also work very hard and do loads of gigs to get to that position, just because they don't last doesn't always mean they were manufactured.

Corholio wrote: »
    He seems a pretty decent guy and a pretty good pop singer who can write catchy songs but lets not get a bit too overboard with the extraordinary talented stuff. I think he's dumbed down his music a lot from his pre-fame stuff really. I could never imagine him doing stuff like 'Sing' a few years ago but fair play if he's figured out that's what sells. Plenty of so called 'flash in the pan' artists also work very hard and do loads of gigs to get to that position, just because they don't last doesn't always mean they were manufactured.

Yes I agree with all that, apart from the descriptor "dumded down".

In my opinion, he is an extraordinary/exceptional talent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

In my opinion, he is an extraordinary/exceptional talent.
    You're entitled to your opinion but I imagine most music fans and music lovers would disagree strongly with your assertions. He is extraordinarily/exceptionally successful however, no doubting that.

Advertisement