Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ed Sheeran - Croke Park - July 24th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Whether or not you enjoy Ed Sheeran's music I don't think you can deny that the man is talented at what he does.

The man puts on one hell of a live show.

Slating his fans though just makes you look like a dick.

All of the hoo-haa about "music for people who don't like music"....please, the arrogance is sickening.

It's a bit like the argument re: Craft beer v Mass produced stuff, I have one rule with beer.....I drink beer I like.

Same when it comes to music, I'll listen to music I like, your credibility won't(or shouldn't) suffer just because it's "popular" or "mainstream".

To all those who have tickets, enjoy the gig...

I suppose what I'm saying is music is subjective, life would be f**king boring if it wasn't.

Except for the Script....man, those guys suck:pac:

He's going to have to do better than one man and a guitar I think for such a large show, bring in an orchestra or big band or something.
    Anyway, delighted for the lad, did it the hard way, and I'd much rather my daughter be into someone not manufactured and who can actually write and play their own music than the likes of the X Factor wannabees.
    He's not Bob Dylan but then, music goes with the times and at the moment we are all slaves to the system. Peace out man :D

Music has always had extremes, Carpenters and Sex Pistols, The Smiths and Modern romance, the Wombles, etc etc, feck me, a digital frog from a stupid advert was bought in its thousands!

and all you haters, Note, if you think its so easy and could do better, we'd love to hear from you. (Thought not)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Fair play to them for being upfront about the amount of shows they are doing. Nice to see them get it right this time.

If it was those MCD cnunts, they would wait for the less desirable day to sell out(friday), then add the Saturday.
    They always do that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

karaokeman wrote: »
    If you are going to make a comment like that you are the one with no interest in music. Talk about the artist not their fans.

Why can't people talk about the fans? very relevant, artists/performers are nothing without their fans!

I mightn't agree with him labeling all his fans the way that poster did but I think he was referring to people who maybe attend gigs at these stadiums/big fields and couldn't give you directions to the likes of the Olympia,Button Factory,Academy etc. etc. you cannot deny these people exist I for one know plenty of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Why can't people talk about the fans? very relevant, artists/performers are nothing without their fans!

I mightn't agree with him labeling all his fans the way that poster did but I think he was referring to people who maybe attend gigs at these stadiums/big fields and couldn't give you directions to the likes of the Olympia,Button Factory,Academy etc. etc. you cannot deny these people exist I for one know plenty of them.

So you're saying his point was its fair to criticize Ed Sheeran fans because they only go to gigs at mainstream venues and wouldn't know how to get to the less popular ones?

That comment I quoted just makes him look like a complete hipster no matter how you look at it. I mean I don't like One Direction but I wasn't here this time last year posting such comments here saying people who listen to them don't like music etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭flasher0030

He's going to have to do better than one man and a guitar I think for such a large show, bring in an orchestra or big band or something.
    Anyway, delighted for the lad, did it the hard way, and I'd much rather my daughter be into someone not manufactured and who can actually write and play their own music than the likes of the X Factor wannabees.
    He's not Bob Dylan but then, music goes with the times and at the moment we are all slaves to the system. Peace out man :D

Music has always had extremes, Carpenters and Sex Pistols, The Smiths and Modern romance, the Wombles, etc etc, feck me, a digital frog from a stupid advert was bought in its thousands!

and all you haters, Note, if you think its so easy and could do better, we'd love to hear from you. (Thought not)

That’s a fair point of view. It is a sort of victory over the manufactured music scene that we have been accustomed to for the past decade. And he has done exceptionally well for a guy that has 2 albums. No begrudgery intended.

I have his 2 albums, and have given them enough spins to deduce that my opinion is that there is very little in the 2 albums that excites me at all. But at the same time, I haven’t listened to them enough to dismiss them as average. My ambition over the next week is to give them a proper listen, and then it’s either delete from the playlist or a keeper.

But I also think it’s a fair comment that people are flabbergasted that someone with relatively limited music ability has been so successful. He’s no Morrissey or Bob Dillon when it comes to song-writing.
    It’s not a case that people think they can do better, but us, as a race, don’t particularly like people being successful without having to earn their stripes. And I think that the common perception is that Ed Sheeran has been carried along on a marketing wave. And he’s portrayed as the cheeky geeky chap – someone we can kinda relate to and perhaps even sympathise slightly with because he’s a ginger. And we are duped into this “Oh, I need to like him so”.

• Advertisement

karaokeman wrote: »
    So you're saying his point was its fair to criticize Ed Sheeran fans because they only go to gigs at mainstream venues and wouldn't know how to get to the less popular ones?

That comment I quoted just makes him look like a complete hipster no matter how you look at it. I mean I don't like One Direction but I wasn't here this time last year posting such comments here saying people who listen to them don't like music etc etc.

No sorry you are taking up my point wrong that was in the general scheme of things I find it bizarre that someone who is a "music fan" wouldn't of had. I'm not saying that about all Ed Sheeran fans but would hazard a guess over half the crowd would ramble to this for a session/day out a good chunk of tickets are also sold to people doin 2 nights.

More accomplished artists can't sell out the 3arena, using Noel Gallagher for instance despite opinion of him costs around a tenner less than an in the gods ticket for Ed in our biggest stadium.

Also I wouldn't say it bout Ed Sheeran but I do think its fair to say people who like One Direction mightn't be into music at all tbh but thats a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

No sorry you are taking up my point wrong that was in the general scheme of things I find it bizarre that someone who is a "music fan" wouldn't of had. I'm not saying that about all Ed Sheeran fans but would hazard a guess over half the crowd would ramble to this for a session/day out a good chunk of tickets are also sold to people doin 2 nights.

More accomplished artists can't sell out the 3arena, using Noel Gallagher for instance despite opinion of him costs around a tenner less than an in the gods ticket for Ed in our biggest stadium.

Also I wouldn't say it bout Ed Sheeran but I do think its fair to say people who like One Direction mightn't be into music at all tbh but thats a different story.

At the end of the day people who like music like music. Yes it means more to some than others, but who cares. My dad doesn't like movies or television unless its documentary/media type (doesn't like fictional stories for examples) but that's fine, he loves sport, likewise I like movies and don't like sport. The world would be boring if everyone was the same and had the same level of interest in a particular art.

Posters like NufcNavan are using that distinction between differing levels of interest as a sly dig against particular fanbases. The world doesn't need that, it needs people who respect one another as music fans and fans of anything else.

And yes, I've met One Direction fans who also like David Bowie, Radiohead etc etc. Its another story as you say, but people like what they like and I have no problem so long as they don't force their opinions on others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

I really hate music snobbery. Why do you even feel the need to post any of that here at all? People listening to ed sheeran or one direction isn't directly harming you in some way is it? Totally dragged the thread off topic. Each to their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Saw Ed at Glastonbury last year and Dolly Parton (Not even a fan of her tbh) who was on before him was much better performing to a crowd that size.

akamossy wrote: »
    I really hate music snobbery. Why do you even feel the need to post any of that here at all? People listening to ed sheeran or one direction isn't directly harming you in some way is it? Totally dragged the thread off topic. Each to their own!

Please explain if you are referring to me where in my posts I have been a music snob? I haven't exactly pushed my music tastes upon others or told people they shouldn't listen to Ed Sheeran etc.

The thread is very prominent on the main page of a public forum anyone can give their opinion.

Each to their own is right!! To keep thead on topic hope all who have tickets enjoy the gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Saw Ed at Glastonbury last year and Dolly Parton (Not even a fan of her tbh) who was on before him was much better performing to a crowd that size.
    probably not hard when she mimed her way through it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

akamossy wrote: »
    People listening to ed sheeran or one direction isn't directly harming you in some way? Each to their own!

Believe or not, it actually is but it can never be changed. The media driven campaign is unbelievable, I work in an environment where I have to listen that garbage daily. The more sales, the more airplay. It voilates human rights forcing an individual to listen to that one direction vomit.

Ed Sheeran much less so but they can overplay his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I wouldn't be a fan of Ed myself but he has worked hard over the years to get him where he is, it wasn't so long ago that he played an early evening set at the Picnic and as someone else noted he played a much smaller venue in Dublin last year. No doubt its the Glastonbury exposure that sealed his current fame, to go from a late afternoon slot at the Picnic in 2012 to two sell out gigs at Croke Park in almost three years is a feat in itself.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pbthevet

The amount of tickets on done deal already!

excuses like unwanted birthday presents and the tickets just launched like?

Pure ticket touting. Disgrace

Also think the presale was unfare. Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

pbthevet wrote: »

The tickets on done deal is crazy but why do you think the presale was unfair?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

Is it risky buying off donedeal? Buying tickets for someone who really wants to go and thinking this is the last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭siblers

ironkiwi wrote: »
    Is it risky buying off donedeal? Buying tickets for someone who really wants to go and thinking this is the last resort.

Don't. Leave it a while, either more tickets will go on sale, another date will be announced or you'll get tickets for cheaper closer to the date. Tickets are always at their most expensive just after they have been sold out. Sit tight for a while and you'll save yourself a fair bit of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭danois

Managed to get tickets in block 302 I'm guessing it's near the back row TT I've no idea if they are good seats or not I'm just happy to have got them. Can't wait now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Why are people getting so upset at the suggestion that the bulk of Ed Sheeran's fans have no massive interest in music? If your 7-year-old niece is is going to the same gig as you then it's pretty fair to assume it's some fairly safe stuff being played.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 IWillFindYou

ironkiwi wrote: »

It's incredibly dodgy. Especially if they are e-tickets. These can simply be reported lost/stolen and re-printed by the original buyer, instantly invalidating the sold (printed or pdf) tickets. Happened me and a friend at electric picnic a few years ago, down over €400 between us. Even the non e-tickets (standard looking ones with the hologram) bought at a ticketmaster outlets can also be reported lost/stolen if they were bought with a credit/debit card. This is why ticketmaster strongly discourage people from buying tickets off other sources. Caveat emptor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Tickets still showing up on StubHub for anyone really desperate. HUGELY marked up, ( four standing tickets for Friday are £467 or €642) but they are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DC10555

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Tickets still showing up on StubHub for anyone really desperate. HUGELY marked up, ( four standing tickets for Friday are £467 or €642) but they are there.

Plenty on Done Deal for less than €160 each, as people already mentioned tickets will be on sale closer to the gig for face value the touts will panic like a fish out of water if they can't at least get their money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

DC10555 wrote: »
    Plenty on Done Deal for less than €160 each, as people already mentioned tickets will be on sale closer to the gig for face value the touts will panic like a fish out of water if they can't at least get their money back.

Oh no doubt. Was just letting people know there are still tickets from legit sources if they wanted guarantee a ticket now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Oh no doubt. Was just letting people know there are still tickets from legit sources if they wanted guarantee a ticket now.

StubHub and the likes are the worst of the lot. £27 sterling in service fees per ticket?

They're a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭wacotaco

Ticket on ebay and fairly decently priced. Buy off 100% feedback users though they are usually legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭wacotaco

Tickets on Ebay and fairly decently priced. I would advise you to buy off 100% feedback users though only.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Casualcontrol1

People who got tickets- did you go for the email version or posted ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Posted ones.

I prefer to keep the hard copy of the tickets of gigs I go to. Just to keep them & build them up over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Printed, simply because don't trust postman to put them in right letterbox in the apartment!

Posted by choice though :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Tuhula

pbthevet wrote: »

Why was the presale unfair? You didnt even need a link, it was on his website, open to everyone!

Advertisement