Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2015 **MOD warning in OP**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yeah, the weather here is lovely and course looking wonderful *

* weather here is sh1te and scraping off twitter

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭stitcheddepin

I feel bubba gump shrimp could do very well again next week.
    Don't be surprised if the silent assassin Jimmy Walker (leads,led the fedex for 46 of 52 weeks yet nobody mentions him) finishes right up there. tied 8th in his first appearance at augusta last year, and he likes slick greens, as shown last weekend.

CBb7cI9WsAA6bCL.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jewson

Michael Murphy's Sport shop in Letterkenny are giving full refunds if Rory McIlroy wins the masters on all golf purchases. Seems like a good deal to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

jewson wrote: »
    Michael Murphy's Sport shop in Letterkenny are giving full refunds if Rory McIlroy wins the masters on all golf purchases. Seems like a good deal to me :)

That's very clever! Are Paddy Power doing this, this year? If so the shop should just put the money they take in on other golfers themselves....if Rory wins they would be able to pay back their customers from the refund with PP, if Rory loses then have a change to make even more money if one of the players they backed wins....I like it! ;) *

This assumes PP are doing the same deal. Terms and conditions apply!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 jewson

Loire wrote: »
    That's very clever! Are Paddy Power doing this, this year? If so the shop should just put the money they take in on other golfers themselves....if Rory wins they would be able to pay back their customers from the refund with PP, if Rory loses then have a change to make even more money if one of the players they backed wins....I like it! ;) *

Yeah its a great idea. Seems like a win win situation for the customer and store

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

Loire wrote: »

I don't think you've thought that through fully. Let's assume that Paddy Power are offering a refund on losing bets on other golfers if Rory wins.

If Rory loses and the winner is not one of the golfers picked by the store, then they lose the amount they have wagered. If Rory wins, they get their money back, but it's the money they wagered, so there's no gain. And they still have to refund all the money that was spent in the store.

I think the only way the store can protect themselves is by backing Rory to win. He's currently 5 to 1 with Paddy Power. So, if they stand to refund €10,000 in the event of Rory winning, they can hedge this liability by wagering €2,000 at 5 to 1. This is the same as giving a 20% discount on everything they sell.

I presume their profit margin is sufficient to cover a 20% discount, so it seems like a good marketing gimmick to me. If they can find better odds than 5 to 1, then it's an even better outcome for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Also paddy power would most likely have terms and conditions that they would only return the first 50 (at most 100) of the bet. And at that it is very likely it would be in the form of a free bet and not actual cash.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Betting talk to the betting thread please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

abff wrote: »
    I don't think you've thought that through fully. Let's assume that Paddy Power are offering a refund on losing bets on other golfers if Rory wins.

If Rory loses and the winner is not one of the golfers picked by the store, then they lose the amount they have wagered. If Rory wins, they get their money back, but it's the money they wagered, so there's no gain. And they still have to refund all the money that was spent in the store.

I think the only way the store can protect themselves is by backing Rory to win. He's currently 5 to 1 with Paddy Power. So, if they stand to refund €10,000 in the event of Rory winning, they can hedge this liability by wagering €2,000 at 5 to 1. This is the same as giving a 20% discount on everything they sell.

I presume their profit margin is sufficient to cover a 20% discount, so it seems like a good marketing gimmick to me. If they can find better odds than 5 to 1, then it's an even better outcome for them.

You're right. I got carried away a bit there :o:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

After only 3 events Scott is going back to the long putter for the Masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

YayaBanana wrote: »

Make hay while sun shines I guess. Strange though, his first tournament with the short stick was a good one so I thought he would keep it in the bag considering he will have to use it in 8 months anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I think the general feeling was he would always do this unless he was on fire with the short stick. Can't say I blame him either, I agree with the ban on broom handles but while it's still legal he should absolutely use it if he feels it helps him win another Masters.

Nice (long) article on Ben Crenshaw's last Masters next week

http://www.pgatour.com/news/2015/03/31/ben-crenshaw-last-start-Masters-Augusta.html

1427816033717.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

http://www1.skysports.com/golf/news/12040/9784104/tiger-woods-plays-18-holes-at-augusta-ahead-of-the-masters

Tiger played 18 holes at Augusta today. Looks more likely he might make it, not that he'll win the thing or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

if fred couples leads after round 1 I will get my coat

Just can't wait...

CBhLLzeWUAAqKoH.jpg:large

CBmPlKrWAAEGJx_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Just heard it on sky you beat me too it, I assume he will go in second favourite haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Unless he plays well - not sure that is good for the event.

If he won it - it would be the shock of golf, since T. Watson / Clarke at Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Bigger shock than Harrington a few weeks ago

Always good for golf to have him in it, the only time it would be bad is if he plays crap and withdraws again, that's downright disrespectful of the tournament.

ForeRight wrote: »

Not that big haha.

ForeRight wrote: »

Ah ForeRight - long time no hear - we need you in form for Masters.

Your the only one who can handle the looneys when they come in for the majors.

Was thinking of saying Harrington - but in a major and Tiger - it would be mental.

The Anti Tiger lads would be having an AA like meeting with the Anti Paddy gang.

It would be the AntiTigerPaddyhelpgroup.

I'm working on name.

Was thinking of saying Harrington - but in a major and Tiger - it would be mental.

The Anti Tiger lads would be having an AA like meeting with the Anti Paddy gang.

I'm working on name.

You mean they are anti golfer people in hear too??????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

If tiger scores well and competes then great but if he plays crap the cameras will still follow him around and we won't get to see much from the other golfers. That will ruin the masters for me.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Always good for golf to have him in it, the only time it would be bad is if he plays crap and withdraws again, that's downright disrespectful of the tournament.

But sadly - that is the risk , not to mention 80 % of coverage for a 76.

I would hope - and as we know Tiger , he is thinking this way.

He will only play, if he can play well.

Making a cut is an achievement - but you'd imagine Tiger only wants to play if he feels a Top 20 is in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I'm working on name.

I was on sabbatical

Good to have tiger and Padraig back now. Everybody's back.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    You mean they are anti golfer people in hear too??????

no, everyone here loves golf - we just have some friends, who struggle to get joy from that love.

It is complicated.

Advertisement