Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kanger Subtank

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

8mm wrote: »
    Well to be honest I only have it since last Friday so still in the honeymoon period and have to see how it holds up over time.

The new RBA has been great and very easy to build. I did have to redo my build yesterday as I over packed the cotton and should have known better.

Also I have only been using Liqua juice in it which I think is 70/30 but I hear higher VG also works well too when wicked right.

Same here. Rewicked the RBA in a hurry and over packed it.

I found that loosely packing cotton against the juice hole got it working perfectly. I didn't leave a gap as such but made sure there was plenty of room to allow the airflow to work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

Trond how are you doing your build?

I do 5 turns of Kanthal at 3mm which gives me 1.18 ohms. I did my first build as a compressed micro-coil style but it was a bit poppy and loud. I left my next build loose so the coil is spaced and it's been quieter. Running this at 24/25 watts and it's been very satisfying.

8mm wrote: »
    Trond how are you doing your build?

I do 5 turns of Kanthal at 3mm which gives me 1.18 ohms. I did my first build as a compressed micro-coil style but it was a bit poppy and loud. I left my next build loose so the coil is spaced and it's been quieter. Running this at 24/25 watts and it's been very satisfying.

I basically tried to replicate the stock coil that came with it. Im nearly certain I used 26 gauge Kanthal with maybe 5 or 6 wraps. Came out at .6 ohms and vapes like a champ!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

Trond wrote: »

Thanks for throwing that up, got 2 bags of them ;-)

• Advertisement

JH_raheny wrote: »
    Thanks for throwing that up, got 2 bags of them ;-)

Handy to have a bag there alright. I went to a wedding recently and nearly missed my lift as I was frantically making 2 coils to bring with me in case of a breakdown!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

I always found making a coil the easiest part.

Getting the wick right consistently now there's the art.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Anyone tried the new 1.5 ohm coils? I'm not a big 'vapourchaser' so got the subtank with a few of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Anyone tried the new 1.5 ohm coils? I'm not a big 'vapourchaser' so got the subtank with a few of these.

Got the istick 40w with subtank mini last week, but not into sub-ohming so ordered the 1.5 coil with it.

Was using the nautilus previous to this purchase and haven't picked it up since. Much prefer the subtank with 1.5 coil (ordered 5 more coils from FT). I have not touched the coils that came with the tank (0.5 and 1.2 plus one you can make yourself).

Not mad about the new 40w though, preferring my 30w.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Not mad about the .5 ohm coils.
    Just doesn't seem to give me the hit @ .5 that I like.

I prefer the 1.2s....have to start this rebuilding lark..

What guage wire should I use.
    Have 24 guage kantal here that I was given for nothing..that too heavy to use??

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Not mad about the .5 ohm coils.
    Just doesn't seem to give me the hit @ .5 that I like.

I prefer the 1.2s....have to start this rebuilding lark..

What guage wire should I use.
    Have 24 guage kantal here that I was given for nothing..that too heavy to use??

The difference between the stock 0.5 ohm coils and a 0.5 ohm build in the RBA is like night and day.

i use 26 gauge kanthal using a 2.5mm drill bit. 5 or 6 wraps comes out at about 0.6ohms.

That being said I did buy a pack of the pre made Kanger coils which im using instead. 20 of them for €5.50 with bestshop

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Whoa..at that number of wraps I'd probably need 10-12 with 24 gauge to even get near. 5 ohms.

I'll just get 26 gauge instead.

There are 2 prebuilt coils in the box..not the occ ones but 2 coils with no wick in them.

Anyone know what ohms they are??might just practice my wicking skills on them.

How much cotton should I use??

Trond wrote: »
    The difference between the stock 0.5 ohm coils and a 0.5 ohm build in the RBA is like night and day.

i use 26 gauge kanthal using a 2.5mm drill bit. 5 or 6 wraps comes out at about 0.6ohms.

That being said I did buy a pack of the pre made Kanger coils which im using instead. 20 of them for €5.50 with bestshop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

Yep the rba gives a way better vape, wicks 10 times better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Whoa..at that number of wraps I'd probably need 10-12 with 24 gauge to even get near. 5 ohms.

I'll just get 26 gauge instead.

There are 2 prebuilt coils in the box..not the occ ones but 2 coils with no wick in them.

Anyone know what ohms they are??might just practice my wicking skills on them.

How much cotton should I use??

For wicking & building coils,you will learn alot more from the Youtube videos & 24 AWG Kanthal with 6 wraps = .5,if you use dual coil,half the resistance of .5 which is .25,here is chart to practice on http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?r=0.5&awg=24&id=2.5

For wicking & building coils,you will learn alot more from the Youtube videos & 24 AWG Kanthal with 6 wraps = .5,if you use dual coil,half the resistance of .5 which is .25,here is chart to practice on http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?r=0.5&awg=24&id=2.5

That's a great calculator.
    I was basing my "wraps" on 2mm inner diameter which is around 14 wraps.Doubt that would even fit in the RBA!!!

Im used to wrapping coils for tattoo machines and understand resistances etc but that calculator makes it nice and easy and I suppose with tattoo machines you are using insulated wire so shorts aren't an issue unless you break the insulation by mistake.
    I just don't want to damage the Istick by getting it wrong.

26 or 28 guage seems to be the sweet size??

That's a great calculator.
    I was basing my "wraps" on 2mm inner diameter which is around 14 wraps.Doubt that would even fit in the RBA!!!

Im used to wrapping coils for tattoo machines and understand resistances etc but that calculator makes it nice and easy and I suppose with tattoo machines you are using insulated wire so shorts aren't an issue unless you break the insulation by mistake.
    I just don't want to damage the Istick by getting it wrong.

26 or 28 guage seems to be the sweet size??

28 gauge is very popular,all today's regulated mods have loads of protection,so a short will not cause any damage.

How much cotton should I use?

How much cotton should I use?

Do you have the 1st or 2nd Mini Sub tank?

Id say cut about 1-1.5cm width of wick. Roll one end tightly, drag it through the coil until theres nearly no movement from it. Lift up both ends and put back on the RBA (without its top cap). You'll be left with ends stick out over the RBA. I cut them back so they only slightly stick out. Then make them as fluffy as you can before tucking them back down either side of the RBA.

When tucking them back down ensure to not just jam them in there. Do it lightly and sure theres room for airflow from the juice holes all the way to the top of the tank.

Probably easier to watch someone do it rather than read it from instructions tbf.. (skip to 12m 20secs in)

Thanks Trond..wicked up the rba just now and did what you said.

Your instructions are 100% and no dry hits or anything.

About 1.5 cm of the cotton that came with the subtank mini.It came in about 10 sheets.I took one sheet off,cut off about 1.5cm.Threaded it through the coil and trimmed it back to just in line with the top of the rba.Tucked it down nice and loose and fluffy and its vaping very nice.

Much better than the stock coils.

BTW Im off the real smokes exactly 7 months today.

Probably thanks to this forum and the lot of you helping me out with proper equipment.Dont think I would have lasted using the run of the mill ecigs that really don't do vaping justice.

Thanks Trond..wicked up the rba just now and did what you said.

Your instructions are 100% and no dry hits or anything.

About 1.5 cm of the cotton that came with the subtank mini.It came in about 10 sheets.I took one sheet off,cut off about 1.5cm.Threaded it through the coil and trimmed it back to just in line with the top of the rba.Tucked it down nice and loose and fluffy and its vaping very nice.

Much better than the stock coils.

BTW Im off the real smokes exactly 7 months today.

Probably thanks to this forum and the lot of you helping me out with proper equipment.Dont think I would have lasted using the run of the mill ecigs that really don't do vaping justice.

Ah good stuff, glad the RBA worked out for you. The upgraded Sub Tank Mini is a great tank. Once you wick it properly there's not much out there that can touch it. If you don't like building coils you can buy 20 of the coils that come with it for €5.50 on bestshop.

Congrats on the 7 month anniversary! Another few weeks and I'm off them a year and a half! Best thing is I know I'll never smoke a cigarette again...

Bet you buy a 2nd sub tank shortly!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Do the updated tanks still spit a bit? Could never get mine to stop spitting on the original rba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

Been using the new one for a couple of weeks and haven't had any spitting like I had with the original. That's just my experience so far though

Dramatik wrote: »
    Do the updated tanks still spit a bit? Could never get mine to stop spitting on the original rba.

Ive 3 of them and one of them was spitting a little but im near certain it was down to me using too much wick otherwise they seem fine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

For anyone thinking of getting a V2 subtank, you could just buy the base along with a bell cap kit and an RBA coil for about €14 from Fasttech.
    It's a bit neater looking imo and a good bit cheaper.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rank amateur and interloper here, but I have the Kanger Nano and love it. I run the 1.2 ohmer coils, mainly cos when I ran the 0.5 unit a mate who is way more au fe with vaping pointed out that my battery setup would likely explode or kill me. :D TBH I find the 1.2 a better experience. I vape the El Toro Tobacco liquids at 20Mg and was running a stock of their old 24Mg stuff, so the sub ohm was running a tad strong even for me and I say that as a man who at one point was smoking 15 cigars a day. And inhaling. That I'm still breathing is one helluvan advert for the resilience of the human body. :o

TL;DR? Great bit of kit. If I was a modder who wanted more control the next tank up would be the one I'd be into, as it has the rebuildable coil setup, but for the newb, or lazy prick like me, the Nano is a good un, though if you're going for the sub ohm clouds of joy, match it to the correct battery thingie.

I soooo wish vaping had been around ten or twenty years ago. I don't mind admitting that what passes for my brain chemistry works better with nicotine. I have no idea why, but have some theories(my brain chemistry is fooked) and am glad that there is now a far healthier way to keep me on the straight and narrow. Never mind the enjoyment of that moment of indulgence and time to stand back and think.

/Interloper

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Ah lads this rebuilding stuff is addictive..Built 8 coils this morning...0.7 ohms seems to be the sweet spot for me.

But yeah..it is actually very easy..Takes less than 5 minutes to build once you get the hang of it.

Wont be buying occ coils anymore with this being that easy.

Ah lads this rebuilding stuff is addictive..Built 8 coils this morning...0.7 ohms seems to be the sweet spot for me.

But yeah..it is actually very easy..Takes less than 5 minutes to build once you get the hang of it.

Wont be buying occ coils anymore with this being that easy.

Are you using a coiler or just wrapping the wire around a bit or screwdriver & is it a micro or spaced coil.
    It's great when you get the hang of it,I was always looking for a challenge until my eyes got worse.
    Dr.Bill put us onto the Esmokeirelands site,under the heading "Sale" there are some cheap mech mods & Genny's.
    A genny aka "Genesis" http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/rsst.htm are going for under a tenner,they have the coil above the tank using ss mesh or rope,we used to build with these alot a few years ago,have a look & check out a Youtube video,as you are getting to like this building hobby maybe you might be interested in different type builds.

Just wrapping around a 2 or 2.5 mm drillbit.

Havent a clue about the other things though.They work and that's all im worried about for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

I hope this hasn't already been mentioned on here but if it has I apologise.

The kanger subtank mini that came with my subox kit is now leaking after only a few days use, is this normal and how do I stop it or can't I?

I also bought a stainless steel subox mini at the same time which looks a little different and hasn't started leaking.

• Advertisement

monkeynuz wrote: »
    I hope this hasn't already been mentioned on here but if it has I apologise.

The kanger subtank mini that came with my subox kit is now leaking after only a few days use, is this normal and how do I stop it or can't I?

I also bought a stainless steel subox mini at the same time which looks a little different and hasn't started leaking.

Is it leaking near the air holes???Mine is/ was the same.

You need to make sure the coil is really,really tight in there.

Also it could be condensation..on the kanger site theres a FAQ that says to regularly clean out the air flow base.
    I just get a tissue rolled up everytime im refilling and clean around in there. Then Open the air flow fully and blow in to it a couple of Times and you'll see the juice come out of it.

No leaking now since ive made it part of my refilling regime.

Still annoying though.

Advertisement