Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I fell off my bike, when did you fall last ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Did you go into the canal? I did once

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

I crashed six months ago. Luckily my thighs got caught in the handle-bars or I'd have flown right over and smashed all my teeth and my face.

As it is I was totally fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭cletus

I didn't, thankfully. Back wheel came off the bank, but I managed to lean in and stay on terra firma

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Legs stopped turning going up the western road out of Tragumna beach between Castletownsend and Baltimore. No harm done to bike or beast.

Nice spin otherwise in a beautiful space all new to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

hit the deck cycling home from work yesterday. went to clip out approaching some traffic lights and the heel of my shoe got jammed between wheel and frame, skidded and failed to unclip the other foot... down I go. Very low speed, no damage to bike or rider but a following driver did slow down to ask if I was OK, which is probably worse than any injury...

As a bit of background, I've always unclipped by kicking my left heel outwards at the bottom of the pedal stroke, but I found with my new shoes/bike combination I could unclip easier by kicking the heel inwards. Turns out this is a bad idea if your pedal is at the 3 o'clock position. I don't know if anyone has any thoughts on kicking out vs in?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think i've always kicked out? pure muscle memory by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

3 weeks ago yesterday.

Hit a tree root on the road that was 'hidden' in the shadows.

Small downhill around Clonalvy.

It happened so quickly I dont know what happened only I ended up upside in a hedgerow about 12 feet from the root.

Knee and lower leg in mess.

It looks the front wheel hit the root.Turned and stopped and I kept going.

I had bruising on my ribs where I hit the bars.

Crash hat in the bin.

Nothing broken but the wounds on my knee,lower leg and elbow are still healing.

Ended up going to A&E last week as the swelling was not going down.

They thought I had a broken bone. I didnt.

Then they ran with a Blood clot and gave me two big doses of blood thinners. There was no sign of a clot. Just a lot of trauma under the skin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ooh, glad you're OK. was it the hill down from fourknocks towards clonalvy (called 'the cawing hill' IIRC on strava on the uphill segment)?

Not sure if the Strava segment.

But if you approach the tree in the middle of the road in front of you . Take a left and it leads to a long twisty road that brings you back to the bottom of the climb called The Mall. It's on that twisty road. Reckon I was tipping along about 40kph when it happened

Yeah, I know that road well. Drops you back down to ford de fyne.

• Advertisement

Be careful on it. A woman came out of the house to see if I was ok. She said I was by no means the first to came a cropper from that root

The straight red line is the root. The semi circle is where I ended up.

Be careful if around that way.

aha, i know that well! if you're not expecting it, it's a fair jolt. the first time i hit it unawares it felt like i hit a pothole, and was very confusing as i knew i'd not hit a pothole.

i hadn't thought of it when you mentioned tree root, because i had pegged it in my head as badly laid tarmac over a pipe or something similar.

this is the same spot.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5863015,-6.3245336,3a,75y,280.07h,67.07t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s3u1KAhKFM7rceQAGkwAx8g!2e0!5s20101001T000000!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

Yup . That's it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Road rash has healed (exceptionally well) from a spill in Mondello a few weeks ago but only now realising my shoulder movement is quite restricted .

You may need a cortisone injection or something to free it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭cletus

@CramCycle, if you can avoid cortisone injections, and see if a physio can give you some rehab work, that's the way I'd be inclined to go.

I'm pretty sure Physio will sort it, it is painful when under it's own power at certain points but the sort of movements that are not common although throwing a ball for my dogs has become comical in its failings. Don't think I need Cortisone as I can certainly get by day to day without issue. Mainly my deltoid is where the pain is most (but I can force it through if I wanted too (not needed to yet though) and I can move it with my other arm, it is only sore under it's own power in a small number of positions. Going to give it a bit more time before Physio, maybe the end of the month.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Go to a physio after 4-6 weeks and rest it, but try to move it through a controlled range of motion a few times a day. I've dislocated my shoulders 11 times, if ya don't rehab then really properly they remain fcuked and increasingly so. They're a hoor to rehab, it's really specific and niggly.

Saying that you can't go to physio too early imo.

Light a candle for your rotator cuff 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Could have come a cropper today, luckily I noticed movement in the crank and stopped immediately

Failed shimano Ultegra drivechain 😡

Edit: just checked crank on winter bike and it's perfectly fine, and that's older !

Post edited by secman on

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭this.lad

Every time I hear a creak I wonder am I next.

• Advertisement

we need a boards jersey just for the members of this club!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Edel Fanning in Santry Sports Clinic is one of the foremost expert physios in shoulder rehab. My rotator cuff knows all about it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Lovely clipless fail this afternoon on the way home from work, caused by me being an absolute eejit and trying to track stand on a load of gravel.

Luckily fell on non-drive side and no damage to the bike, wrist is a bit stiff and a scuff on the knee but the ego is the most damaged

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I came off yesterday 😪

I had literally just completed the Maynooth CC Dave Mulready Memorial sportive with some clubmates and had just arrived back in Maynooth GAA when one fella on my left suddenly turned right (towards me) and AFAIK clipped my front mudguard which pushed it outwards, my right foot got caught on it and this somehow stopped me being able to steer or pedal. I wasn't able to get my foot out in time and lost my balance and down I went.

I think I put my right hand out so it's quite sore. I then landed on my elbow (thankfully although it got cut, my jacket didn't!) and have a few cuts and brusies on my leg including a massive dark bruise right at the top of the leg right next to my bits which I think was caused by the saddle.

Still, we were moving quite slowly so I guess it could have been a lot worse.

Well that was humiliating, came out of the house and a km down the road there was debris on the road. I stopped to clear the road, and then a neighbour came round the corner when I was near done, I hopped up on the pavement and my foot went from under me. From her perspective I just walked off the road and fell over for no reason. . Nice gash on the elbow from it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Off this morning joining the N11 from Willow Grove - bottom of the road was lethal and by the time I spotted it too late. Elbow bore the brunt, with some nice road rash. N11 hard shoulder was pretty sketchy the whole way up - should've gone on the wimp list...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Almost came a cropper yesterday on a roundabout, not leaning excessively as it looked greasy, my back wheel kicked out , felt like a foot or more but gripped again. Not a nice feeling but ever so relieved when it gripped again.

Friday for me..unclipped right leg at end of my road , went to put left down. Was still half asleep leaving for work

• Advertisement

An hour ago. Smacked side of head off parked truck. In a&e as precaution.

Silly idea to cycle in today.

Advertisement