Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I fell off my bike, when did you fall last ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Alanbt

coach22 wrote: »
    my sorest fall was a small one. took a few hours before it kicked in. done ligaments in my wrist. it can be very sore trust me

It seemed innocuous enough at the time. Fell on my right side yet it’s the left wrist that’s sore. Hopefully nothing serious

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Alanbt wrote: »
    First fall in a long time. Race blade mudguard jammed in front wheel as going through lights on N11 at Stillorgan. Not quite over the bars but rear wheel lifted up throwing me to the ground just as traffic coming straight towards me.
    Managed to get up no problem, sheer embarrassment the main motivator. No major damage to bike, except mudguard broken obviously.
    Thought was fine but now wrist is very sore. Off for X-ray in morning if no improvement by morning.

Oh well

Oh no what are the chances of that? I'd never in a million years imagine that could even happen :eek:
    Get well soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Took a spill yesterday near start of club spin, two wheels washed out on a bend and came down on shoulder/hip. Finished the spin but sore today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭JMcL

coach22 wrote: »
    my sorest fall was a small one. took a few hours before it kicked in. done ligaments in my wrist. it can be very sore trust me

Yeah, ligaments are painful, and if it is that, speaking from experience you can only really wait it out. A mate did ligaments in his leg a few years ago, and the doc in A&E said to him "I've good news and bad news. Good news is that there's nothing broken, it's your ligaments. The bad news is that you're going to have all the pain of a broken leg, but none of the sympathy"

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Ribs were the worst for me. Id sooner get the 9 staples put in and taken out twice than have a cracked rib again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

Fractured 2 ribs a couple of years ago after missing a sharp bend on a back road - front wheel hit the verge at speed, did a somersault, landed on my back - luckily not on the road, thought I was just winded. Cycled on for another 7 miles then the pain got a bit much. Called the missus who kindly collected my battered body and straight to A&E.
    They kept me overnight and for the next 2 weeks I was in agony, especially when trying to sleep. At least I got 7 weeks off work!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Had a funny one on a guided bike tour in Budapest on Saturday.

Came to a lovely square with slick ground...

Said to my wife "check out this skid" (As girls love skids right?!)

Brakes were on the opposite side to my normal bike and I flew over the handlebars!

Only my ego was injured.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Had a funny one on a guided bike tour in Budapest on Saturday.

Came to a lovely square with slick ground...

Said to my wife "check out this skid" (As girls love skids right?!)

Brakes were on the opposite side to my normal bike and I flew over the handlebars!

Only my ego was injured.

Ah, 'tis yourself ;)

Had a spill myself 3 weeks ago...was slightly off-balance, hit a stone on the road and went down; I wouldn't mind but I'd done the weevil a few weeks before and went over millions of stones incident free :pac:

Hip and hand still not great but x-rays showed no fractures so I got lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Tuesday evening on my way home from work. First evening it was dark coming home due to clock change so was a bit conscious of that as I left work as the "normal" things like cars parked in cylce lanes and close passes are either more prominent or more likely more noticeable and dangerous.
    Anyway, no bother, got through all that and as I was taking my usual short cut through a housing estate on last leg of my journey, and approached a kerb that gives access to a shared lane. I usually go around it( i.e go to drop down of kerb bout 10 metres to the right) but for some reason i decided to just to hop over it albeit at no speed, prob 5kmph. Anyway i must have lifted bike to early and came down on near side of kerb and bike flipped forward and gave myself an almighty wedgie and cut up my hand but managed to stop bike with the other hand from bouncing off the deck.
    No one saw it thank f**k, so I went on my merry way home with my sore tail between my legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

My 1st off in years . I mean about 15 years ago was my last off but today was way worse .

Coming down hill at a bit of speed , narrow bridge at bottom, van surprised me on bridge and I had to hammer on brakes.... straight over handlebars .

Two warped wheels and a bad left arm and leg ... my racer is in for service so was using my touring bike with disk brakes , that might have been a small bit of the cause ..

Anyway it's been 14 years since I rang in sick for work but tomorrow looks like one .... very sore!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Today. Coming down Booterstown Avenue. Thought I had left loads of room to the car in front who stopped as he couldn't judge how wide his car is. Hit the brakes. They worked but there was diesel on the road and the bike kept going forward. I had a choice of hitting the back of the car or moving into the left where there was a few free parking spaces. Once I realised that I wouldn't make it into the left I leaned over, landed on my aide and slid along the ground rather than hit the car. So far bruising and scrapes but starting to feel pain in a couple of other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭secman

Today. Coming down Booterstown Avenue. Thought I had left loads of room to the car in front who stopped as he couldn't judge how wide his car is. Hit the brakes. They worked but there was diesel on the road and the bike kept going forward. I had a choice of hitting the back of the car or moving into the left where there was a few free parking spaces. Once I realised that I wouldn't make it into the left I leaned over, landed on my aide and slid along the ground rather than hit the car. So far bruising and scrapes but starting to feel pain in a couple of other places.

Worse fear when hitting brakes hard on a wet surface after a longish dry period, and worse still with diesel, oil spill, plenty of sudocream .....

Back in this thread again after only a few months. Not a habit to be proud of.

Had a collision with a car on the commute home. Fecker pulled out right in front of me on stillorgan park. Said didn’t see me despite the 3 super bright front lights have on the bike. Barely time to pull the brakes and turn away from going face first into the car. Slammed into front passenger door at about 35kmph & ended up flat in the middle of the road. Feeling a bit bashed up. Right ribs and knee are sore but not too bad at the moment.

Have drivers details and those of a couple of witnesses. Hopefully won’t need to take any next steps, but ribs definitely feeling worse than earlier.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Had a collision with a car on the commute home. Fecker pulled out right in front of me on stillorgan park. Said didn’t see me despite the 3 super bright front lights have on the bike. Barely time to pull the brakes and turn away from going face first into the car. Slammed into front passenger door at about 35kmph & ended up flat in the middle of the road. Feeling a bit bashed up. Right ribs and knee are sore but not too bad at the moment.

Have drivers details and those of a couple of witnesses. Hopefully won’t need to take any next steps, but ribs definitely feeling worse than earlier.

Jesus get yourself checked out, you're probably still running off some adrenalin.
    Warm not hot shower/bath and all that.
    What an arsewipe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you won't have any clear idea of any injuries you've potentially picked up for a day or two yet. go to a doctor and get checked out.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Came off yesterday after only starting on Friday! Going through a pathway in between apartment blocks and hit the brakes. Obviously it was greasy red brick, so back wheel skidded out and down I went sideways. Nothing major bar a slightly sore wrist and a bruised ego. Went for another 10KM off road straight after. I'd never have gone again if I didnt!

nee wrote: »

Jesus get yourself checked out, you're probably still running off some adrenalin.
    Warm not hot shower/bath and all that.
    What an arsewipe

Likely will first thing in the morning. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Likely will first thing in the morning. Cheers.

Absolutly. ....

I had accident on bike start of November and put up with it for 10 days.....aaggghhh sure I'll be grand .... I had to go to doctor in end ....xray showed I'd fractured my arm ...

I'm just back again now and I tell you I'm a bit nervous... I definitely feel more vulnerable even tho it was my first proper off .

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Came off today - cycling down Holles St when a young lad driving out of Denzille Lane tried to cross my lane and turn into the next hit me. Obviously was only looking in one direction. Went from 27kph to 0 fairly sharp. Was pretty irate at first but he was very apologetic to such an extent that it diffused the whole thing quick enough. No injury and just a bit of handle bar tape damage. Sad thing is that I’ve always felt that an accident was awaiting me at some point - hope that’s the only one..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

A thread I hoped to never post in, but alas...

Today, group spin. A 3 way crash that involved me going over the two in front and ending up splayed out on the R148 face down.

Our first aid team cleared me at the scene, but I'm now awaiting an x-ray on my arm to make sure no damage was done.

The bike will make a full recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

Fell off last weekend right outside my front door. Tried to unclip but the cleat had come loose so stayed in the pedal and I was already on the way down. Fell in front of a group of little girls who laughed. I ran into the house and sulked.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Car door a couple of weeks back. Was lucky to be traveling up hill at the time so speeds were reduced. It was during a torrential downpour on a tight section of a city street with cars on both sides. I usually keep far enough out but I was being overtaken and pushed too close to a parked car which looked occupantless like the 50 or so others I had just passed. I figure the guy was sitting in the car for a while and waiting for a break in the weather, it wasn’t coming so I guess he went to make a mad dash and sprung on me. The front wheel and the car door took the brunt of it. I fell back in what felt like slow motion. The guy was apologetic and we had a civil interaction and everything is sorted there. Very nervous around car doors now. That was the second time I’ve been car door’d and have had 3-4 near misses in recent years

Today, group spin. A 3 way crash that involved me going over the two in front and ending up splayed out on the R148 face down.

Our first aid team cleared me at the scene, but I'm now awaiting an x-ray on my arm to make sure no damage was done.

The bike will make a full recovery.

Update on this. Suspected fractures to scaphoid and radial head. In a sling and splint pending follow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Sorry to hear that and the later update robyntmorton.

Three of us came down in a group spin on Tuesday last, two of us rather spectacularly. I survived with a lot of bruising especially on my shoulder and will be off the bike for four weeks but one of the others wasn't so lucky and has a broken collarbone.

I know every crash is different, and I certainly don't want to get into who did or didn't do what, but does anyone know if there has been anything published on causes of crashes on group leisure spins?

That's it exactly. Theres always someone less lucky. Like you, I'm looking at a 4 week break minimum, which is difficult for me, as I am meant to be cycling to Galway for charity in 6.

Still, there will always be another chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Steoller

That's it exactly. Theres always someone less lucky. Like you, I'm looking at a 4 week break minimum, which is difficult for me, as I am meant to be cycling to Galway for charity in 6.

Still, there will always be another chance.

Bad luck. I missed it last year due to back surgery, and this year due to a new baby, so if you don't get to Galway this year, I'll join you on the road next January, bright and early.

Steoller wrote: »
    Bad luck. I missed it last year due to back surgery, and this year due to a new baby, so if you don't get to Galway this year, I'll join you on the road next January, bright and early.

I'll get to Galway this year with them, but possibly not under my own power. It's a great group to cycle with (and usually not crash through)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭secman

Came off this morning, roads were very greasy when the rain came, taking it very handy on a roundabout in Arklow, happened so quick, never got a chance to take hands of the hoods, nothing broken, badly bruised and grazed hip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

On a road bike, maybe December 2015? Cycling the bike lane coming up to Grange Castle, southbound. Slight bend as it goes around the roundabout and I come off on black ice. Hip took the brunt of it, was pretty sore for a week or so.

Walked most of the way to Tallaght. Even walking was sketchy. Saw 2-3 cyclists cruising along no bother in the bus lane. I believe the shrubs along the road may have blocked the morning sun clearing the ice.

I'm pretty paranoid now, don't tend to go out if it's below 4C in Winter months unless it's obviously not icy such as mornings when there's a nice bright sun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

On the cycle home from work today.

Just coming through Churchtown on the off road cycle path. The cycle path and footpath are at the same level most of the way. I looked over my shoulder to see if there was any cars coming up on the inside lane. If you're familiar with the stretch of road, the left turn lane cuts the cycle path off.

Anyway, looked over my shoulder and hit a kerb as the cycle path dropped ever so slightly. Fair play to the lady in the white car as she came around the corner, you can hear her beeping. She stopped in traffic to check I was ok. Only a cut elbow and hip, and bike didn't get a scratch thankfully, as I'm trading it in soon for an upgrade,

Not sure if the link to video works.

Advertisement