Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I fell off my bike, when did you fall last ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i edited your post to embed it for you.

good to hear you didn't come out too bad from tha.

I see they have installed some wands at the lights there. Been a few years since I was in that neck of the woods but I had my share of left hooks at those lights.

Glad the tumble wasn't to bad Ozzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I see they have installed some wands at the lights there. Been a few years since I was in that neck of the woods but I had my share of left hooks at those lights.

They really dont help.

The advance start lights do a bit if you arrive on red.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

ozzy jr wrote: »
    bike didn't get a scratch thankfully, as I'm trading it in soon for an upgrade,
    I thought it was the helmet that you had to replace after a fall, rather than the whole bike, but I like your style anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Slow motion fall this morning. Woman standing in cycle lane up ahead. Why I wondered. I am coming down a hill a bit, albeit slowly. I move over to go around here but it's at an estate entrance. Then I discover she is standing there as she has hailed a taxi. I stop, unclip my right, go to put my left foot down. Land softly on the grass. Hurt pride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Also had a fall today - slipped on a wet tram track which was entirely stupid and something I should have been more careful for. Cut knee and a ruined pair of pants, hand grazes and a lovely Galibier jacket I had planned on wearing while commuting for the next few months until it gets cold ripped. Could have been much worse though.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

I fell yesterday. As I was signalling to turn going downhill. Heard a car beep and must have instinctively hit the front brake. Scraped my knee up pretty bad, it's a struggle today, but that was it. My fault altogether, just wasn't careful enough. Need to get my bike checked out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Cut knee and a ruined pair of pants, hand grazes and a lovely Galibier jacket I had planned on wearing while commuting for the next few months until it gets cold ripped.

Check out https://galibier.cc/customer1st/repair-service/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Slid under a car at a roundabout last week. He just drove out and said he didn’t see me. Had to just drop and slide as opposed to hit the car and fly through the air. Was wet.

Miraculously my rucksack took all the impact and I cycled on to work like nothing happened. A bit shaken though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I made a chivalry, manly maneuver on to wet grass to avoid a puppy golden retriever being walked by two teenage girls in my local park on the way home.

My super, slick, egg-like expensive tyres acted like greasy banana skins with vaseline carefully applied to the surfaces & I ungracefully, but gently flopped to the earth

The not so small puppy ran up and began to enthusiastically hump my face & head as I tried to unsuccessfully untangle myself from my bike and bag that had attached itself and my arms to the handlebars.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I made a chivalry, manly maneuver on to wet grass to avoid a puppy golden retriever being walked by two teenage girls in my local park on the way home.

My super, slick, egg-like expensive tyres acted like greasy banana skins with vaseline carefully applied to the surfaces & I ungracefully, but gently flopped to the earth

The not so small puppy ran up and began to enthusiastically hump my face & head as I tried to unsuccessfully untangle myself from my bike and bag that had attached itself and my arms to the handlebars.

Amazing :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Not me , but I witnessed two incidents and one very near miss this week both at different ends of the spectrum

Monday going home on the N11 going up the slip by UCD . A car overtook several cyclists all with hi vis and lights. And turned left completely taking out a cyclist , he hit the ground hard , I was convinced he was dead , but luckily his helmet took the impact and shattered.

On Friday going along the rock road just by Elm Park , I saw a cyclist on the other side do a sudden stop, jump up on the footpath and start cycling back in towards town he was quite all over the path and it looked odd. Kind of **** I just dropped something , quick turn back. Anyway as he overtook a pedestrian who also was heading in the sane direction , the pedestrian side stepped and bumped shoulders with the cyclist who then crashed face first into a traffic light. I think I may have actually pissed myself laughing. , with the way he was cycling on the path I had no sympathy whatsoever.

About a minute later I crossed over the metro on gates and about 100m down the road I saw a cyclists on the footpath heading out of town drop down on to the road without looking , luckily for him the driver he dropped in front of had great reactions and managed to avoid him.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

The whole sad saga is here:

https://clarechampion.ie/cycling-sean-kelly-burren/

I fell off in front of Seán Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

homer911 wrote: »
    5 weeks ago, near Donnybrook Church where cycle track moves up onto footpath - railing each side of access point, had just passed out bus so took it at the wrong angle and caught my handlebar on one railing - broken elbow and cracked ribs; buckled front wheel and puncture. Back on the bike a week now. Was an accident waiting to happen, have reported to DCC so will see if they do anything about it
    They haven't.

I was turning into it a few weeks back and someone had locked their bike inside the railings. If I hadn't been going so slowly I would have come off pretty much the same as you, stuck between the railings like a pinball. As it was, I very nearly hit the bike.

I've only been commuting since June but I've come off twice. Once at the railings directly opposite to the ones mentioned above (one pedestrian was standing in the cycle lane between the wall and the bus shelter, I tried to weave through the bus shelter itself to avoid him because it was empty, clipped the railing with my handlebar and had a very dignified slow-motion fall in front of several buses of bored commuters.

Second was on the Dodder park cycle path off Beaver Row. It was dark and I was fixing my front light because it had slipped too low. I didn't see a tree that had fallen across the path. It was too big to avoid so I just slowed as much as I could. Tree kind of broke my fall but then the bike landed on me. Just a few scrapes and bruises in both.

I look forward to never posting in this thread again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The whole sad saga is here:

https://clarechampion.ie/cycling-sean-kelly-burren/

I fell off in front of SeKelly.
    Good write up, although this bit might earn Sean a bit of unhappiness from racers across the country.

Thanks Sean
    to concentrate on sportives like this, instead of races, in order to attract more entrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

CramCycle wrote: »
    Good write up, although this bit might earn Sean a bit of unhappiness from racers across the country.

Thanks Sean

Well, he said it. I told him who I was so it was on the record. Good guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I took a tumble this morning as I arrived into work. We’ve a basement car park where I lock my bike. There’s an uncovered ramp down into it, with a shutter at the end of it, and it was wet weather. There was a car ahead of me and I thought I’d get through the shutter after it. I didn’t. I had to brake, and at the same time I tried to swerve towards the card swipe to my right to reactivate the shutter. I went flying and ended up on the other side of the ramp, for cars coming out. Right in front of the security camera; I’d say the security guard had a great laugh to start his morning!

I’ve a bit of a sore knee and back now but I’ll live.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

On Saturday, gravelling in the devils glen. Was just thinking it's a bit dark in here for the shades, hit a mud hollow/ puddle descending along the river, and missed the fallen branch (caused me to slide out rather than over the handlebars). Sore elbow and knee, but worse bruising to the ego from the head to foot mud on my left side...

I know the feeling of unexplained mess. Ended up in the royal canal somehow a few years ago. Lovely sunny morning. Arrived into work soaking wet and got some strange looks

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

A few weeks ago - had taken a spin around the Phoenix Park in the morning as usual, roadworks caused me to go on paths I wouldn't normally go on, only realised when ice started breaking that I was cycling over a 2 inch deep frozen puddle that covered the path, but that was grand, stayed upright and kept calmly going like an icebreaker. Was a bit more conscious from there on, so dipped my light a bit more to try and spot ice. Paused a while to take in the sunrise with the silhouettes of cranes, all lovely and calm. Dodged a few other frozen puddles and made my way into D1 via NCR, assumed that was the worst of it.
    Not long after I crossed Amiens street my back wheel started wobbling, I eased onto the brakes, or so I thought - 2 week old bike, first time using hydraulic disc brakes in anger, instantly flew over handlebars, face and elbowplanted on the road, managed to slide in a reasonably straight line, paused a second to understand what had happened, then shuffled behind a parked car to avoid being hit by cyclists behind me.
    Came out of it with two fractures to middle finger - so no bike until new year, bruised thighs, calves, and thankfully only grazes to knees and elbows.
    Frustratingly, no one else to blame!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I came off 2 weeks ago coming home from work on a wet day. Bike went from underneath me going round a corner. No damage to the bike and it all seemed fairly innocuous at the time. Unfortunately it has transpired that my knee is a bit more banjoed than initially thought. Just had MRI results - it has to stay strapped and crutches for the next 2 weeks. Back on the 9th Jan for the next assessment.

F***ing raging - I was not far off my target for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I came off 2 weeks ago coming home from work on a wet day. Bike went from underneath me going round a corner. No damage to the bike and it all seemed fairly innocuous at the time. Unfortunately it has transpired that my knee is a bit more banjoed than initially thought. Just had MRI results - it has to stay strapped and crutches for the next 2 weeks. Back on the 9th Jan for the next assessment.

F***ing raging - I was not far off my target for the year.

Just the one knee is it? Take off the pedal on that side and off you go. A target is a target after all...

Àargh, this morning. After staying upright along the coast and howth in the frankly unwelcome crosswind, I came a cropper at that stupid little roundabout between Baldoyle and Portmarnock.

I had half a mind on the cars to the right, even though they'd yielded, as I ever so slightly leaned the bike just went from under me. Not sure if a wheel was on the painted part or if it was just slippy.

Drivers all stopped at least to see if I was okay. Some grazes and a sore wrist, no damage to bike I can see, my bibs are grand (solidly made by B'Twin) and the silly expensive jacket I decided to wear (Parentini Vita) hasn't a mark on it.

I had a brand new shakedry in the pocket too, thankfully wasn't wearing it as I don't know how that would so against tarmac.

Got annoyed and talked myself out of my huff and into carrying on, going to hurt at home either way. Did another 70 k afterwards for the 100

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you mean the one just north of baldoyle or the one just before you reach portmarnock (beside what i thought was the aryan bridge until i realised it's the a. ryan bridge)?

you mean the one just north of baldoyle or the one just before you reach portmarnock (beside what i thought was the aryan bridge until i realised it's the a. ryan bridge)?

Yeah, the painted one.

I was on the good bike too, so probably over confident on corners and such given I've been on a croix de fer with land cruisers on it that are slow but just roll over stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

That roundabout is lethal . I’ve nearly gone on my arse a few times there . The surface is slippy for some reason and dangerous when it’s wet on a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MyDarkArts

Weepsie wrote: »
    Àargh, this morning. After staying upright along the coast and howth in the frankly unwelcome crosswind, I came a cropper at that stupid little roundabout between Baldoyle and Portmarnock.

I had half a mind on the cars to the right, even though they'd yielded, as I ever so slightly leaned the bike just went from under me. Not sure if a wheel was on the painted part or if it was just slippy.

Drivers all stopped at least to see if I was okay. Some grazes and a sore wrist, no damage to bike I can see, my bibs are grand (solidly made by B'Twin) and the silly expensive jacket I decided to wear (Parentini Vita) hasn't a mark on it.

I had a brand new shakedry in the pocket too, thankfully wasn't wearing it as I don't know how that would so against tarmac.

Got annoyed and talked myself out of my huff and into carrying on, going to hurt at home either way. Did another 70 k afterwards for the 100

That's nearly a carbon copy of what happened to me yesterday on my spin in that part of the world.
    The minor variation was that I was at a t-junction on the back roads near the airport and I was 70km in with 30 to go.
    Everything else, from the way the bike went from under me, to the drivers stopping and the kit and bike being grand are identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I was turning off the Baldoyle-Portmarnock road to get on the new cycle track just after the little roundabout at the Baldoyle end. I misjudged the kerb and clipped it, ending up on the flat of my back. No damage to me or the bike thankfully other than some cuts and bruises to my left knee. Funnily enough I was thinking "better watch the edge of the kerb" just before I fell over.

Edit: thanks to the cyclist who stopped to make sure I was ok

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Steoller

Came off on the drive of Castletown house.
    Roads up to the house and paths inside the gate were grand, then just outside the house itself it was like a bottle. bumps and bruises on the knees, but no other issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Twice in one week!

In the estate about to go down the hill near my house this morning, turned the corner and thought "this looks icy, better get off the bike". I got off the bike alright but no quite the way I hoped. I lost the front wheel almost instantly and down I went. This time the postman picked me up - he had fallen about five minutes beforehand. Walked gingerly down the hill and the roads outside the estate were fine.

I'm hoping these things don't come in threes!

Advertisement