Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I fell off my bike, when did you fall last ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Jizique

Twice in one week!

In the estate about to go down the hill near my house this morning, turned the corner and thought "this looks icy, better get off the bike". I got off the bike alright but no quite the way I hoped. I lost the front wheel almost instantly and down I went. This time the postman picked me up - he had fallen about five minutes beforehand. Walked gingerly down the hill and the roads outside the estate were fine.

I'm hoping these things don't come in threes!

This morning was mental; quite a few coming off

• Registered Users Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭billyhead

Came off the bike on Saturday. Wheel went from under me turning a sharp corner. I think there was grease on the road. Broke the wrist. Only good think is that it wasn't the dominant hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

I was turning off the Baldoyle-Portmarnock road to get on the new cycle track just after the little roundabout at the Baldoyle end. I misjudged the kerb and clipped it, ending up on the flat of my back. No damage to me or the bike thankfully other than some cuts and bruises to my left knee. Funnily enough I was thinking "better watch the edge of the kerb" just before I fell over.

Edit: thanks to the cyclist who stopped to make sure I was ok

I know they're not finished there yet but that kerb isn't good the way it is. Probably it's meant to make the cyclist scrub off speed coming into the mixed use zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

First spill in about 4 yrs! Was doing about 11kph this morning. Tapped the brakes and down i came. Was lethal out there. Thanks to the black SUV that just over took me and carried on.

While i was sorting myself out another poor soul went down in the same spot. We both walked back in the direction we came from and decided today was not the day for cycling.

Home , shower, dressed and off to the bus stop it was.

(Feeling abit sore now. Bum, thigh and knee road rash. Surprisingly no ripped clothing, go figure?!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bendip

a road i've rode through countless times, thursday i knew as soon as the sharp bend came up i was going too fast..that slow motion thing sort of took over as i hit the hedge onto the farmers field..luckily no real damage, the bolle glasses i wear came apart and my lid got scratched..good reality check for me..thousands of miles a year but i'm no sagan ..!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭JMcL

Had a bit of a Miguel Angel Lopez moment this morning. Was on the home leg of a short spin after getting the kids out to school with a tail wind pushing me up a fairly gentle gradient, so was taking advantage and giving it some welly. I'd taken a drink and was distracted as the bottle wasn't going back into the cage smoothly. I looked up to see I was rapidly bearing down (or should that be up?) on a sizable packing carton some plonker had dumped in the middle of the cycle track. My attempts to steer around this yoke right handed while I got my left hand back where it should be were only partly successful. I caught it a glancing blow on the side (actually the pedal was possibly the culprit) which wound up with the box wedged behind the front fork - thankfully not enough to pitch me over the handlebars. It did however pull me inexorably to the left where the ditch where the fall of shame was waiting. Physical damage thankfully limited to a bit of a bruise on the thigh, though pride took a fierce battering. Could have been a lot worse

I think this was one of those not seeing what you're not expecting to see moments. I know this stretch of road like the back of my hand and I expect to see runners, and small bits of muck and stones so I do see them. I don't expect to see a honking great 60cm cardboard cube so I didn't. Need to add that one to my "things to watch out for" mental algorithm!

And yes, the Pat Mustard episode of Father Ted does spring to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭secman

Had a spill last night, heading to Enniskerry, just after stepaside village clipped the kerb and side wall blew. Came down on the path luckily as there was a car behind me. Fair play to the lady driver eho stopped to check if I was okay. Tyre was knackered, called a cycling buddy who lives in Sandyford who brought a spare tyre to get me home on, thanks again Mick. We abandoned the spin to Enniskerry and turned for home. Bruised and road rash on my left shoulder, elbow, hip and knee. Left wrist is probably sprained, no swelling but tender. Very lucky..no breaks and very lucky i didnt fall out on to the road.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

secman wrote: »
    Had a spill last night, heading to Enniskerry, just after stepaside village clipped the kerb and side wall blew. Came down on the path luckily as there was a car behind me. Fair play to the lady driver eho stopped to check if I was okay. Tyre was knackered, called a cycling buddy who lives in Sandyford who brought a spare tyre to get me home on, thanks again Mick. We abandoned the spin to Enniskerry and turned for home. Bruised and road rash on my left shoulder, elbow, hip and knee. Left wrist is probably sprained, no swelling but tender. Very lucky..no breaks and very lucky i didnt fall out on to the road.

My last one was going the other direction at the new cycle lane just before the school. Came out of the lane to dodge a hubcap and went to slide back in straight after, hit the lip I didn't know was there and came down hard. Had no wands up when I came down, it was only brand new.
    IMG-8189.jpg

Had only bought the new bike 6 weeks before hand :( and had just been thinking earlier that I'd never crashed on the other one over the 8 years I'd been riding it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

secman wrote: »

Hope you have a quick recovery, I had a bit of a blow out last night also but thankfully it was the rear tire and I was going straight at the time so stayed upright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭secman

Takca wrote: »
    Hope you have a quick recovery, I had a bit of a blow out last night also but thankfully it was the rear tire and I was going straight at the time so stayed upright.

A bit sore today, plenty of road rash and think wrist is a bit sprained, extremely lucky to come out of it so unscathed . Glad to hear yours wasn't bad too.
    Cycling fraternity is great though, a lad i know from Sandyford drove over to me in stepaside with a tyre to get me home, and insisted on me trying myself and bike out before he headed home, with the offer of driving me and bike home If i wished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

First spill in a while today. I pulled in near a footpath to change the playlist on Spotify but somehow the front wheel just went frpm under me. I came down heavy on my right side but thankfully no damage other than the phone screen and a tear in my jacket.

Another embarrassing fall for me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

December 7th. The bad black ice day. Had managed the two days before ok with lots of white frost. Going home in the morning (in overnight) I thought I'd be fine. Piece of concrete that looked fine was actually a rink.

Knee is still purple but otherwise ok. Bike was fine which was the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

First spin of the New Year and first spill when on my first lap of the Phoenix Park. Was thinking I was doing well having passed through a few dodgy shaded areas and wrongly assumed that Chesterfield Avenue would be okay when crossing it at the Gough Roundabout. Not so as both wheels slid and down I came on hip and elbow. No real damage other than some grazing so I completed a few more circuits, warning others as we passed. Spotted at least one other casualty on the Upper Glen Road with a group in attendance. Hope he's okay as he seemed fairly shook up.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

First spin of the New Year and first spill when on my first lap of the Phoenix Park. Was thinking I was doing well having passed through a few dodgy shaded areas and wrongly assumed that Chesterfield Avenue would be okay when crossing it at the Gough Roundabout. Not so as both wheels slid and down I came on hip and elbow. No real damage other than some grazing so I completed a few more circuits, warning others as we passed. Spotted at least one other casualty on the Upper Glen Road with a group in attendance. Hope he's okay as he seemed fairly shook up.

A friend from my cycling club came off in the park today and broke his leg. Two came off Tuesday in Kildare but same as yourself only cuts and bruises.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

Came off on my first lap in the Park today too. The sharp right hand turn at the end of North Road. I’d had a few twitchy moments already so was being extremely cautious on the turns and had slowed right down. wheels went. Fortunately no major damage to the bike, only a few minor cuts and bruises to the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Thank **** for cyclocross this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Gosh, it looks like 2021 was a very safe time for cyclists, judging by this thread.

Does a fall off a rental MTB count? I had a blast in the Ticknock woods, which did conclude with an almost inevitable. Nothing too serious, torn flest, clothing, pride and a right sore muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

I hate when I tear my flests, they're a fecker to repair

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a colleague had a near death experience recently which may be related to a fall from a bike. it was a partial self-dissection of his carotid artery, he'd had an off on his MTB a few months previously which may have resulted in a partial tear (impossible to prove either way)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

I had a spill a few weeks ago. First day out in new kit and all I could think about was if I'd ripped the new winter jacket or bibs! Sore for a week after but I'm happy to report no damage to the new kit!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Last night on Samuel Beckett bridge northbound. For some reason i was doing a track stand on a loaded touring bike waiting for the bike light . Kind of just went down correcting myself. Driver behind probably pissed themselves.

Back up and off home, no damage

Did you check youtube for cycling related uploads??? That's where I'm off to now 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

It has been a while since I posted on this thread.

Just back from a few days in Mallorca. Great fun doing lots of spins in the cold and wind (not so sun kissed!). Bombing down the climbs in the dry felt really safe as well.

4km from the end of the last spin on the last day we pulled into a supermarket to grab a Coke. Pulling out from the carpark my front wheel slipped on a metal grate and I went over on my side, resulting in a massive bruise, an even more bruised ego and a Fractured Humerus.

Will be in a Sling for a while and also off the bike and unable to race until it heals.

😫😫😫😫😫😫

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Shyte😨 ya poor thing. The slow ones often hurt the most and cause the most damage 😖

Get well soon D

Cheers. I'll emerge from the shed in about 8 weeks looking all pale and unable to cycle around corners.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you mean you're going to become a triathlete?

I can't run to save my life, I'm a mediocre cyclist at best and my swimming is laughable.

I'll fit right in.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

May as well own up - last weekend was a bit rusty on the road bike, hit a sharp hill off a flat and between getting off the saddle and a bad gear shift I could feel myself leaning over ( I am not a light guy :) ) Couldn't get out of the cleats in time and did a slowmotion lean/ fallover .

Was morto , thankfully no one saw my pride being hurt..

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭devonp

this morning on the commute...at the top of the Chapo bypass second set of lights at the Gardens of Remembrance ....lights red rolling to a stop went to unclip my left foot No Go!! frantically tried again..Nothing happening !! stopped and started to lean left ..just got my foot out when i was at about 45 deg and used my hand to stop a complete fall/crash I do a lot of cycling... first fall (unclipping type)in 4-5 years ...morto and a bruised ego ☺️

(forgot !! i also have a right leg and foot of course...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

(forgot !! i also have a right leg and foot of course...)

even if my life depended on it, and I was about to go over a cliff, I could not unclip my right foot first. My brain just wouldn't allow it. If I tried to get onto my bike from the right I'd end up in a heap as well.

Advertisement