Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Hurling League 2015 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Lovely score from Rob O'Shea; Waterford now hitting a few bad wides.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Fine save from SOK! Harnedy is doing very well.

SOK always takes a step to his left so he can dive to his right. Surprised forwards don't notice it more and try his left side.

Still an unbelievable save though it has to be said.

Beautiful from Gleeson there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Austin Gleeson is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Waterford are getting some handy frees here.

• Advertisement

Poor stuff in the 2nd half, a litany of errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

The virus that is simulation and diving is getting a firmer grip on hurling with each passing season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Waterford getting a lot of soft frees

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Two shockingly handy frees for Waterford to get 5 ahead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Where do the GAA get these umpires from? A National final and you have two clueless fools at one end.

• Advertisement

Ref and lines men have a few quid on Waterford anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Umpires you have one job to do....ONE JOB!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭The White Feather

The virus that is simulation and diving is getting a firmer grip on hurling with each passing season

A Waterford player fell there like he was hit by a sniper in the stand just before they scored a point!

Game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭weadick

What is it with GAA players fist pumping in their opponents faces after a score. You almost never see that crap in other sports but its common in GAA matches now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

weadick wrote: »
    What is it with GAA players fist pumping in their opponents faces after a score. You almost never see that crap in other sports but its common in GAA matches now.

Noticed that too, A KK player never does it.

Well-deserved win for Waterford tbf, Cork very poor on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭letowski

Crazy difference in terms of work rate between the sides. It was embarrassing for Cork at the end. It should make for a tasty MSF though! Congrats to Waterford.

It was a really bad attempt at a save by Nash, seeing it again there on the replay. That was the killer but yeah, the work rate of Waterford was simply on another level. They did hit a lot of aimless ball at times but towards the end, began to open Cork up nicely- looked a lot fitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

case885 wrote: »
    Ref and lines men have a few quid on Waterford anyway.
    I'd have said the opposite not that it was going to matter today. Waterford were by far the better team and made that Cork team look quite poor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Cork were woeful in every department. Waterford much hungrier, thought the ref and umpires were pretty atrocious all through. Some of Maurice Shanahan's diving was laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

When the goin got tough Cork didn't want to know,thats 2 league finals under
    JBM that the got hammered in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭letowski

Fireball07 wrote:
    It was a really bad attempt at a save by Nash, seeing it again there on the replay. That was the killer but yeah, the work rate of Waterford was simply on another level. They did hit a lot of aimless ball at times but towards the end, began to open Cork up nicely- looked a lot fitter.

They're going to be tricky for teams to breakdown, i think. But going at that pace and intensity in April/May will be hard to maintain through the year. They have some great prospects though. Ryan did ok for Cork a full back, but he looks slow on the turn, especially as Maurice isnt the quickest. Time will tell I guess.

letowski wrote: »
    They're going to be tricky for teams to breakdown, i think. But going at that pace and intensity in April/May will be hard to maintain through the year. They have some great prospects though. Ryan did ok for Cork a full back, but he looks slow on the turn, especially as Maurice isnt the quickest. Time will tell I guess.

Yeah that is true. And everyone else will have stepped up in intensity come Championship too, will they be able to raise the bar again? But they've met every challenge so far and winning silverware will bring them confidence.

They're certainly not going to fear Cork in the Championship.

Wasn't overly impressed with Shanahan today... he wasn't helped by some poor service but Waterford will have to work on that a bit. Ryan did as well as could be expected- was badly caught early on but after that did quite well, wasn't really tested by someone running at him but made sure Shanahan didn't get anything easy anyway. It's a pity for Waterford that they can't play Dunford both inside and out the field, his pace is invaluable.

Kavrocks wrote:
    I'd have said the opposite not that it was going to matter today. Waterford were by far the better team and made that Cork team look quite poor.

They were the better team but they got some very soft frees. Not too bothered anyway championship will be a closer game.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

Congrat's to Waterford. The best team i've seen in the league.

Took some great score's today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Congrats to Waterford. They have reeled off a number of good victories in the league now going back to a win away to Wexford in the crunch promotion game. Didn't think they'd emerge this fast into a serious contender but while they were probably the team everyone wanted to face for the last couple of years, no-one will fancy them this year. Big boost for Division 2 as well which doesn't really look like as major a disadvantage to teams as may have been thought. While Cork will undoubtedly improve for the championship meeting, Waterford have laid down a serious marker over the last few weeks and it is becoming increasingly hard to see Cork winning an All-Ireland this year. Cork being Cork will be in the shake up but doesn't really look like they have fixed their problem positions since last year. Really excited about the championship this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Yeah that is true. And everyone else will have stepped up in intensity come Championship too, will they be able to raise the bar again? But they've met every challenge so far and winning silverware will bring them confidence.

They're certainly not going to fear Cork in the Championship.

Wasn't overly impressed with Shanahan today... he wasn't helped by some poor service but Waterford will have to work on that a bit. Ryan did as well as could be expected- was badly caught early on but after that did quite well, wasn't really tested by someone running at him but made sure Shanahan didn't get anything easy anyway. It's a pity for Waterford that they can't play Dunford both inside and out the field, his pace is invaluable.

Just briefly don't agree at all. How many scores did Maurice get and how many frees won? There was some good ball played in into the space in the corners but when he collected it he was practically on the sideline playing two or threw men. Some shift jn my opinion from him

Just briefly don't agree at all. How many scores did Maurice get and how many frees won? There was some good ball played in into the space in the corners but when he collected it he was practically on the sideline playing two or threw men. Some shift jn my opinion from him

I don't know how much he scored, but he hit a lot of wides. At least 3 or 4. I'm not saying he didn't work hard but I'm not sure he's a top focal point for an attack... the ball into him could have been better to be fair, but if you're going to play low ball into the corner, maybe someone pacier would be better?

He did win a lot of frees but some of them were soft enough to be fair. Still I suppose you do have to get your hand on the ball before you win those kind of frees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I don't know how much he scored, but he hit a lot of wides. At least 3 or 4. I'm not saying he didn't work hard but I'm not sure he's a top focal point for an attack... the ball into him could have been better to be fair, but if you're going to play low ball into the corner, maybe someone pacier would be better?

He did win a lot of frees but some of them were soft enough to be fair. Still I suppose you do have to get your hand on the ball before you win those kind of frees.

He got 2 points. Did hit a few wides but Id temper the talk of wides with the effort being put in. He had to mark 2 to 3 lads all game, maybe it wasn't as apparent on tv but that was it, trying to track them back as well. Gave away a few frees himself but it was some shift he put in. I dunno that the ball was that bad either its just you've very limited options when you only have one up front. His two wides in the second half were on the sideline.

I would say our striking in general does need to improve a bit there was too many short balls particularly in the first half when we took on the scores.

Just on Maurice again, Callinan only got 2 points against us as Bourke was sweeping when Coughlan played just to stop him winning it cleanly. Doesn't matter who you have in there, if the backs are any good hes not going to do that much scoring. Also another thing to remember about Maurice is he is only back playing since the Offaly game. Tipp was the first game he started I am almost certain.

Hes not a top drawer forward yet but very happy with what he's contribute in the last three games when hes been on the field.

Advertisement