Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[EVENT] Tri-Athy News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

Ugh wave 7, if I do make it to the finish there are going to be a lot of people waiting on me so they can get back into the transition :P

Couple of questions

What are the toilet arrangements near the transition like?
    Is there a rule on headphones?
    What on earth made me think I'd be able to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

What are the toilet arrangements near the transition like?

Last year there were a few portaloos near transition. Not loads. Get there early.
    Is there a rule on headphones?

I don't think they're allowed. I'd be amazed if they were!
    What on earth made me think I'd be able to do this?

It's too late to worry about that now, just try to enjoy it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Ugh wave 7, if I do make it to the finish there are going to be a lot of people waiting on me so they can get back into the transition :P

Couple of questions

What are the toilet arrangements near the transition like? Boy/Girl? former pee against the wall near swim start/latter longish queues at transtion no toilets at swim start iirc.
    Is there a rule on headphones? no head phones.
    What on earth made me think I'd be able to do this? you'll be well able it's an enjoyable event and you get chicken curry and beer at the end :D

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭engol

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Oh dear god don't mention the war :eek:

It will be unlikely to change and I'd be of the opinion it's quite slow at the minute if we get the rain forecast over the next few days it'll be fast come Sat.

Someone in there last night said it was better than it was last Sunday. I was in last Sunday and it wasn't fun (but it was my first ow, I was doing everything wrong, hoping to do better Saturday)

engol wrote: »
    Someone in there last night said it was better than it was last Sunday. I was in last Sunday and it wasn't fun (but it was my first ow, I was doing everything wrong, hoping to do better Saturday)

We've had little to no rain the past while. It usually takes a day or two to filter down from the hills before the river gets bad. I can't see it being any faster than at Tri carlow and sure we all know what happened there. It'll be interesting to see what they do at Athy considering it's known to many as a beginner friendly tri.

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    We've had little to no rain the past while. It usually takes a day or two to filter down from the hills before the river gets bad. I can't see it being any faster than at Tri carlow and sure we all know what happened there. It'll be interesting to see what they do at Athy considering it's known to many as a beginner friendly tri.

Eh, no we don't, what happened there?! (Don't scare me, I'm a newb)

engol wrote: »
    Eh, no we don't, what happened there?! (Don't scare me, I'm a newb)

Ah nothing scary if anything it was in the new guys favour. They changed the swim to a 1000ish M down stream swim. I can't see it happening in Athy although I said the same for Carlow.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Whatever they do about the shorter legs, they cant really adjust for the double.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

I was in Athy today and the river is flowing fast, any idea if the olympic swim will go ahead as planned 605 up 895 down.

I did it last Sunday and the upstream was tough enough but doable, I didn't have a watch on but it felt like it took just a bit longer to go the 900 downstream than the 600 up.
    There was some rain yesterday and a little bit more expected tonight but I doubt it will be much worse.

Oryx wrote: »
    Whatever they do about the shorter legs, they cant really adjust for the double.

Are you really sure they have a new transition area in Carlow ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

I was in Athy today and the river is flowing fast, any idea if the olympic swim will go ahead as planned 605 up 895 down.

no chance id say on the swim change, its a bit faster than last year but not much, also with the little rain this week it should ease off a bit b4 saturday.

if you are a weaker swimmer stick to the left bank as close as you can, there is a big difference between the current at the bank and the current in the middle of the river. you should literally be able to grab the reeds growing at the edge of the river when swimming upstream.

obviously when coming downstream stick to the middle for the best flow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

On another point, just got my picture for my TI card. Never realised photo booths had gone the way of the phone box. Or that my head was that enormous

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭shansey

On another point, just got my picture for my TI card. Never realised photo booths had gone the way of the phone box. Or that my head was that enormous

I went through photo albums til I found a respectable one and cut it out. I then cut it out of last years card for this year.

I'm more concerned about water temp than current.. I have a problem with my extremities and can sometimes end up with numb feet on the run!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

sprint wave 8 orange looks a bit of a missmash ,every age group anyone know any reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

gerfmurphy wrote: »
    sprint wave 8 orange looks a bit of a missmash ,every age group anyone know any reason?

No clue. I'm in wave bloody 11, looks like a lot of waiting around for me! Don't think I'll be starting until after 5pm... :(

Wave 9 Olympic myself. Hey, at least me bike will be easy to find

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Trickiest part of the late afternoon/early evening sprint start is getting nutrition/eating right. Not good racing empty but equally don't want a big lunch either!

Basster wrote: »
    Trickiest part of the late afternoon/early evening sprint start is getting nutrition/eating right. Not good racing empty but equally don't want a big lunch either!

Do you (or anyone) have advice on this? I'm not too bad. Wave 4 so maybe about 4.10 start approx. just eat a usual lunch and a banana at about 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

Yes I would love a bit of advise too.
    The worse race I ever did was atlone when I was in wave 8.
    I racked up and got stuck with nothing to eat or drink for 2 hours while I sweated in the wetsuit. Needless to say the result reflected it

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

wow, S10, really???? This is gonna be interesting.... not... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

No clue. I'm in wave bloody 11, looks like a lot of waiting around for me! Don't think I'll be starting until after 5pm... :(

In the same wave sadly. Long day ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Wave 2 Olympic. ..happy days...at least I won't be prolonging the agony!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Unless athy has changed, early wave just means a long wait to get your bike out afterwards until all waves done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

mossym wrote: »
    Unless athy has changed, early wave just means a long wait to get your bike out afterwards until all waves done

That depends on how fast your going

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

That depends on how fast your going

Ah athy is good fun. The wait would be good crack around the finish however long

Smothering with a cold which has come on really quickly since this afternoon.
    Obviously if I'm manky on Saturday there's no race for me but what's the general opinion if I'm just feeling a bit ropey
    I'm bulling
    The host is only 18 months so I don't even get the pleasure of making her feel guilty

Probably should note I'm not looking for a medical opinion, just the benefit of others experience racing while feeling cat

If it's just a head cold you'll be grand if it's in your chest you'll probably still be grand but perhaps a bit worse for wear after. Either one it'll probably knock the fun out of the day if you're smoothering.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

It says on the race info pack handlebar plugs are part of the bike check? Would you be refused without them and if so how come? Line fell off recently

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Nanoc wrote: »
    It says on the race info pack handlebar plugs are part of the bike check? Would you be refused without them and if so how come? Line fell off recently

Yes. Its a safety issue. The open end is a greater stab hazard. Plug it with a cork if you have nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

Ah no I've ordered proper ones from CRC but if they don't arrive today I'll pop into halfords...or rob the ones off the missus bike

Advertisement