Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[EVENT] Tri-Athy News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Fiftyplus

iAcesHigh, I also have a hour to wait, I'll take extra clothes to wear and leave them in bag drop alongside transition. You could also carry your wetsuit with you after the race briefing and put it on nearer your start time and then leave your clothes/bag in bagdrop - only 5 min walk to swim start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    Lake and river aren't nearly the same thing, at least not where I'm coming from :) But I will assimilate!!! :pac::pac::pac:

this time of the year i;d expect them to be similar. later in the summer there might be a bigger difference. course the way the weather is this year god only knows

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Wow, just read race brief and this one is actually the biggest tri in Ireland? Didn't know that, nice :)

On the other hand, they seem to be quite strict with procedures, I'm especially concerned with:

So you guys won't use any box, just put your stuff on ground by the bike? Also, when you leave your stuff in transition you would take some nutrition and swimsuit+goggles+swimcap to briefing and then just wait for your wave (it's gonna be way more then an hour for me) already dressed up for swim? If so that's probably gonna be a drag, but happy to try...

I'm actually quite pumped for the race now so see you in Athy! :cool:

How many people are going to turn up with those poxy boxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

tunney wrote: »
    How many people are going to turn up with those poxy boxes

I like the guys with boxes. They are so cheery looking walking to Trans, and so dejected when told they have to move their box. They place their boxes with precision perpendicular to the bike racks. They box goes on top of a towel, to keep the bottom of the box dry. They're all about the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Fiftyplus wrote: »
    iAcesHigh, I also have a hour to wait, I'll take extra clothes to wear and leave them in bag drop alongside transition. You could also carry your wetsuit with you after the race briefing and put it on nearer your start time and then leave your clothes/bag in bagdrop - only 5 min walk to swim start.

So we can leave a full bag with car keys and mobile for example there - it is being taken care for? Ready to rock and roll...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Just found this bubble in my wheel. Have zero stuff to fix it before tomorrow. Anyone have an ideas on what I could do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Could you not pick up a new one enroute?

If you're stuck I've a spare gp4000s I can get to Athy first thing. When are you off?

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Could you not pick up a new one enroute?

If you're stuck I've a spare gp4000s I can get to Athy first thing. When are you off?

Id never get somewhere open at that time ?

Ah I wouldn't won't to put you out of your way! Thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Wow, just read race brief and this one is actually the biggest tri in Ireland? Didn't know that, nice :)

On the other hand, they seem to be quite strict with procedures, I'm especially concerned with:

So you guys won't use any box, just put your stuff on ground by the bike? Also, when you leave your stuff in transition you would take some nutrition and swimsuit+goggles+swimcap to briefing and then just wait for your wave (it's gonna be way more then an hour for me) already dressed up for swim? If so that's probably gonna be a drag, but happy to try...

I'm actually quite pumped for the race now so see you in Athy! :cool:

Depending on where you park you could go back to your car for a bit to relax. There is a carpark on the opposite side of the bank to the start and you can watch the swimmers if you face the river. Set your alarm in case to get too relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Just found this bubble in my wheel. Have zero stuff to fix it before tomorrow. Anyone have an ideas on what I could do ?

I'm pretty sure Wheelworks have a stall in Athy. In they don't, some other shop almost certainly will. You might be able to contact them via Facebook, to find out for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

This question may have an obvious answer but I'm yet to get it. Where do people get changed before the race? I'm thinking that the car boot option might be a poor choice if it starts lashing. I saw that the school showers can be used after, anyone know if we can get in there beforehand if it comes to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

Vorsprung wrote: »
    This question may have an obvious answer but I'm yet to get it. Where do people get changed before the race? I'm thinking that the car boot option might be a poor choice if it starts lashing. I saw that the school showers can be used after, anyone know if we can get in there beforehand if it comes to it?

There's changing rooms with showers at the school where we register. :)

**EDIT**

Sorry, re-read your post. It'll be open I'm sure for people from the earlier races. I'm planning on changing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Thanks hamster.

Looks like the weather might hold off. Fupping cold out in Dublin though!

The sun's splitting the stones down here.

Boysinblack I'll be over this morning at some point if you don't get sorted let me know I've a spare tyre in the car.

Have a good race everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Transition area for the sprint and try won't open for another 20 minutes, race briefing supposed to be in 50 minutes, nearly thousand people in the queue to get in, I foresee delays

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

If it's tubeless can you stick a tube into it?

AKW wrote: »
    If it's tubeless can you stick a tube into it?

Got it sorted thanks lads. Woke up to a fully flat trye. Wheelworkx sorted me out with a new trye for 65 quid. What I get for bringing my bike to town yesterday to get a small noise fixed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Who is looking after results this year and any links? Need to check a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

There's a Live Results section up on the website

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

http://my.triathy.ie/index.php/liveresults2015

• Advertisement

Wow are those results correct. I'm just looking at someone I know who's a middle of the field man and they should be competing in London tomorrow with those times. :eek:

Yep some of those results are fooked. I haven't spoken to him yet but his training partner was +50 mins and they're on a similar level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Some top shelf boobs being flashed in transition!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Grassey wrote: »
    Some top shelf boobs being flashed in transition!

Pics or it didn't happen :p

In all seriousness though did they get dq?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Decent day, about 50min delay which was a pain and had to wait ages for bike, also no sign of the shower facilities (??). Woke yesterday to as sore throat which went into today but thankfully didnt seem to effect me too much. Swim was woeful, was extremely uncomfortable in the suit and stopped numerous times to tug it away from my throat! Only got going in last 200-300m and managed to bridge back to a bunch. Bike was ok, tough out into wind and i think i slacked off too much as it went on. Ran well though and happy with it although i puked my ring right on the finish line!! I was freezing by the time i was able to get my bag which wasn't nice! A lot they'll need to improve on if im ever to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

That delay put a dampener on things. It really was cold out there so it made for an uncomfortable wait. I got going not long before six. Granted, I knew it was a late start when I signed up, but the extra 50-odd minutes were unwelcome.
    On the plus side, much prefer the new run - the final 2km is actually quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Same here, big delay at Oly start and being in the last wave sucked. My cold was full on but I foolishly thought I'd be able to bluff my way round.

Swim wasn't great. Was slow upstream but like a fecking torpedo coming downstream. (Anyone else hit the grate just before the bridge?)
    Bike was enjoyable but windy
    Run was weirdly quick and I really liked the course.
    Was in bits at the end though so Lemsip doesn't come recommended as fuel

As a test run for later in the season I took a lot away from it. Organisation and marshalling was spot on for the most part but registration has got to be a bit quicker

Oh yeah, got back to transition to find my helmet cracked and knackered a few rows down. Poxy wind is my best guess

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

As soon as my wave kicked of ( wave fecking 11 ) it turned out to be a great race. Every part went great for me for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The delay bad (Wave 4 Olympic), why in the name of god do they have one queue for registration (plus limited toilets!), split registration in two and they'd be twice as fast! Also, the KM markers have gone missing from last year. Surely that's just a "put up the same signs again" job?

Apart from that, lovely day, water wasn't as cold as I'd expected (was the swim long, or am I slowing down?), cycle was windy but smooth. The new run course is a keeper. Much nicer to run on, few sneaky climbs in there though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Queue for registration was a joke alright..was chatting to someone who said they had serious computer issues!?! About 20 lads directing cars and 2 ladies in registering people..only a few portaloos at registration but in fairness plenty at transition. First olympic..swim was grand, cycle windy but did better than expected, run..godamn sitch again...everytime and cant get rid of it. Altogether Really enjoyed the course and considering the numbers run very well bar one or two things that can easily be improved on. Also totally sun &/or windburnt!!!!suncream my bee-hind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭noc231073

Did the sprint ... Happy with out the race went ...
    But one thing annoyed me on the bike ...
    I spent a lot on time close to the middle of the road passing guys .... I then can around a bend to find a motorbike cop accross the white line and heading for me ... WTF ...! He was close and flying ..
    He proceeded to pass me a couple of times at what look like 60-70kmh during the 20k bike ..
    My question is what the hell was he doing ?? On a closed road with bikes on it. It was down right dangerous what he was doing ...

Advertisement