Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Tiger won the PIP last year. 8million dollars with just a single golfball hit, on a youtube video for the entire year. In just even visiting augusta he's already blown last years contribution out of the water and has guaranteed himself another $8-10m for this year too. Is this his reason for attending?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

did you not see him in the father and son my god the way he hits the ball is incredible, when he fills out he'll be unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

I heard he's no where near the best in his field but that can all change. He will definitely have the best coaching! That's for sure.

Post edited by benny79 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,574 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

People are still questioning why TW gets so much TV coverage? Really?

Lots of kids have lovely swings these days. As mentioned earlier he's not even one of the top players in his age category in Florida, nevermind in the entire US. Smart money would be on him not even turning pro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,070 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Exactly, it’s like expecting Ronaldo or Messi’s son to be a top footballer, just because Dad was. It’s great to see father & son play, maybe Tiger doesn’t want his son to have the life he had. Watching the Tiger doc really brought home the pressure his father put on him to be special, can’t imagine Tiger would want that for his kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'll be honest - if this is all bullshit hype and he never had any intention of playing. It is bad enough form. Too many people with genuine interest in him and the Masters - if it is a raw publicity thing - bad form . (will see how week goes)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Could be just a practice round to see if he is able to walk and play the course for 4 days or maybe 6.

Its the media making the hype not tiger.

Do you play golf yourself to any decent level ?

Let’s hope you are not linking opinions to handicap.

• Advertisement

Low single figures for many years, unfortunately it’s rising now as I’m getting older and have less time to play. But I’ve often heard very good opinions/analysis from people who never played golf below a handicap of 20, and utter BS from people with plus handicaps.

fair enough, and well done that's some going to be low single figures i never got that low. I would disagree with opinions of golfers with high handicaps though, it's like listening to Phil Yates in the snooker. He's watched it for years but you cant understand it unless you are decent it's not like football or rugby that you can just get a ball and play without ever learning the game. It's specialized.

Ah the old "you need to be pro to have an opinion on anything" argument, a classic!! 👍

never said pro deeper, classic deflection though 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Seems like he is playing the Masters so. Barely believable. Quoting myself above from shortly after his car crash - well that quote didn't age well!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

He says he will play and he can win, I'm up for both!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I've already bet the house on him.

Please don't tell the owner

How can he play four rounds this guy is not human, on top of a fused back aswell. The mind of a marine thanks to his dad. Delighted to see him back, it'll be interesting to see has he lost much yardage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭coillcam

I saw a post on social media from one of the big media outlets. Sorry I can't remember which one.

Anyway they showed his driving stats for practice. 290+ yard carries, which suggests he's definitely still got it. He also mentioned that the golf side of it is a much lesser thought atm. He's pumping his mental focus into the marathon of dragging his pinned together body over the undulating layout for 4 days.

• Advertisement

Just from watching him in the practice area he doesn't look to be moving well at all.

Based on that I think making the cut would be a monumental achievement.

I've seen a few golf journalists talking about him contending but I just don't see it, as much as I'd love it to happen.

have to agree with you Deeper, i think his swing is fine but his limping got pretty bad when he was practicing, what if there is weather issues and he has to play more than 18 in one day he might have to withdraw. I'd love to see him contend though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Rounds at The Masters are slow, that will suit him, damp cold weather a lot less so

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Not moving great at all.

I'm watching Tiger Woods in The Master - after I was told he may not walk - all a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It's surreal. Would question how fast his recovery was (ie enhancements), but it is what it is.

Looking very solid over the first few holes anyway, good birdie chance at 5

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm amazed by this. Even par thru 12 and very solid performance so far. Walking doesn't look bad. Even if he blows up now, he has added considerably to the legend.

Brilliant round.

Level par for the par 5s too so could easily have been lower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

A couple of dodgy swings off the tee, a couple of iffy pitches/chips, but overall very good. Unbelievable really when you think about it. Hasn't played for the bones of two years and just rocks up at the Masters and goes around in one under, well in the mix. Unbelievable stuff. Could easily have been one or two shots better too.

Moves well too but doesn't seem able to get down on his haunches to look at his putts properly. Looking at his putts he looks like some of our old fellas in the club. Not that it seems to bother him too much. He seemed happy enough after the round, too.

Advertisement