Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Doesn't look good, hopefully he pulls through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Ninap wrote: »
    Seems a bit flippant, considering you can’t have any knowledge of his condition, and that the news we do have indicates potentially serious injuries

You make a good point, i withdraw the comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

He’s in surgery now with multiple leg injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭boardise

Has anyone seen Elin?

Anyone seen Jack Nicklaus ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Two things that jumped to mind straght away

1. Did he try kill himself? Didnt look well on Sunday
    2. Is he hooked on painkillers again?

Ether way, doesnt look good.....good luck

Pretty insensitive tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Trampas

It looks like he was in a sponsors car from weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope he will be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Rollovers in modern cars generally aren't very serious and can look a lot worse than they are. The big danger is if the driver is not wearing seatbelt and gets ejected with the car rolling over on top of him.

Pure speculation on my part but I'd say he got badly shaken around in the car and smacked his leg on the interior. He'll probably be ok in terms of his health but this plus the recent back surgery could be the last straw that effectively ends his career on the PGA tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Rollovers in modern cars generally aren't very serious and can look a lot worse than they are. The big danger is if the driver is not wearing seatbelt and gets ejected with the car rolling over on top of him.

Pure speculation on my part but I'd say he got badly shaken around in the car and smacked his leg on the interior. He'll probably be ok in terms of his health but this plus the recent back surgery could be the last straw that effectively ends his career on the PGA tour.

I doubt he got shaken around in the car if he had is seatbelt on. Here is what I think happened. He had to take avoiding action from a truck or lorry on his side of the road this is just what I think happened by the way as it's not known yet and there was no where to go but that way. So he took his chance and the car hit the ground bonnet first with it crippling up and the dash been pushed into the car this crushing his legs.
    That is just what I think happened. Terrible to hear he is badly injured. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

murpho999 wrote: »
    Seriously how can you jump from not looking well on Sunday to suicide attemept.

Have you never heard of accidents?

I am saying that they jumped in my head....guy has had a tough time. Where did I say it was true

Second one is most likely given his past issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

gypsy79 wrote: »
    I am saying that they jumped in my head....guy has had a tough time. Where did I say it was true

Second one is most likely given his past issues
    First thing came to mind is he was full of tablets, he has form for this anyway, hopefully no lasting damage beyond a broken leg, or maybe two. Misfortune accident for him though, not nice to see

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭Augme

A few updates

"Deputy Carlos Gonzalez — the first person to arrive at the crash scene — says Tiger is lucky to be alive after such a horrific crash.
    During a news conference moments ago, Deputy Gonzalez says it was obvious Tiger was badly injured — so he focused on keeping the golfer calm until paramedics arrived.
    Tiger was unable to stand on his own due to the serious injuries suffered in the crash — and was put on a stretcher and loaded into an ambulance. Tiger was wearing a seatbelt during the crash — and officials believe it might have saved his life.
    Deputy Gonzalez says Tiger was lucid and could speak at the crash scene — and did not appear to be under the influence of alcohol or any other substance."

"A crew member who saw Tiger as he got in his SUV at the hotel tells TMZ, once Tiger got in his vehicle, there was a delay in driving off -- we're told his SUV was blocked by another car that was loading luggage -- and he appeared "agitated and impatient." The crew member says once the delay was over, Tiger "took off fast."
    Golf Digest says Tiger was scheduled to arrive at Riviera Golf Course at 7:30 AM PT for a shoot ... he was reportedly going to give Drew Brees lessons. The issue is Riviera is at least an hour drive from the resort where Tiger was staying. You get the picture ... if he was heading out just before 7 AM, then he knew he was running late."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Just watched a news conference involving police and fire responders to this accident. It was stated that Tiger was conscious and lucid at the scene, according to the first cop to arrive. He needed assistance to move after being freed from the wreckage. Luckily it's a very modern high-end vehicle (as somebody said, a loaner from the weekend tournament) and while its front end is wrecked, the cabin was relatively untouched. An air bag deployed.

The accident happened at 7:12 a.m. local time on a downhill stretch of road that apparently has frequent car crashes. There's a side street and a traffic light, Tiger's car was approaching this intersection and went across the opposite lane of traffic and through a light fence into a wooded embankment at which point it was now going uphill rather than downhill, flipped on its side and made contact with a small tree.

The direction of travel before the accident was northeast, I thought perhaps a factor could be sun blindness (it was a clear morning apparently) although the sun would be behind trees on the other side of the road from where the car ended up. I also wondered about deer running across the road (there are treed areas on both sides), or maybe a driver coming out of the side street making a right turn on a red light, which might cause an evasive swerve (in an unfamiliar vehicle). Of course, distraction or the painkiller aspect would be likely avenues of investigation, the news conference did stress that no evidence of impairment was noted at the scene.

If anyone wants to see the place where this happened on google earth, look for corner of Hawthorne and Blackhorse in Rolling Hills (Rancho Palos Verdes). The area is mainly residential but off to the left of the road just before the accident scene is a high school and athletic field. Where Tiger's car ended up is a grassy and treed area that adjoins the running track.

Apparently Tiger spent all day yesterday (Monday) at a promotional filming event at a golf course nearby and was heading to day two of that, possibly running late, when this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bgiraffe

Interesting chimes with Ben Hogan and his crash back in the day. Tiger hosting at Hogan's Riviera at the weekend and reportedly was on the way back there when he crashed. Hogan was almost killed when he crashed into a bus though recovered to win majors, famously at Carnoustie in '53. Hogan was only 36 at the time but interesting parallels all the same. ****ty luck for Tiger, and his kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,122 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The latest release from Tiger's agent. This does not look good. Open fractures of both bones, means they snapped and broke the skin. And the trauma to the leg was so bad that they had to cut into it to relieve the swelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,775 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Do we know if he was driving ?

I'll be honest . Doesn't sound like he will be back golfing / competing again..

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

He was the only occupant in the car

Well it's his right leg, so not as bad for golf as the left. It's a bad injury, but he should recover to a level that will not affect his game. If he was a top-level sprinter or footballer, he'd be done though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

AMKC wrote: »
    I doubt he got shaken around in the car if he had is seatbelt on. Here is what I think happened. He had to take avoiding action from a truck or lorry on his side of the road this is just what I think happened by the way as it's not known yet and there was no where to go but that way. So he took his chance and the car hit the ground bonnet first with it crippling up and the dash been pushed into the car this crushing his legs.
    That is just what I think happened. Terrible to hear he is badly injured. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Thanks for that Hercule....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Well it's his right leg, so not as bad for golf as the left. It's a bad injury, but he should recover to a level that will not affect his game. If he was a top-level sprinter or footballer, he'd be done though.

It would be worse if it was his ankle, if you have to break bones those are well up there with the easiest to recover from.

• Advertisement

It would be worse if it was his ankle, if you have to break bones those are well up there with the easiest to recover from.
    Except his foot and ankle were pretty smashed up too. Statement says that they were stabilised with screws and pins. It's likely to be a year before he's able to play golf again. He's going to be pretty immobile for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Id be skeptical if he will ever play at the top level again tbh, playing golf with these injuries recovered would be very possible for a young guy whose body is in good shape. But Tigers back is fused, along with 10 other operations so to be able to carry these new injuries it would require everything else being pretty strong, which it is certainly not.

Given the fact he is just recovering from his fifth back surgery which appears to be a chronic issue and now needs to recover from compound leg fractures I can’t see him ever playing competitive golf again.
    He’s going to need multiple leg surgeries over the next year to work with rods, pins and plates etc in his leg. The compound fracture can lead to serious complications with infection too.
    He needs to manage all that at the same time as trying to get better from serious back surgery. As super human as he may seem after winning the masters last year for me it’s hard to see him have the drive to get back golfing here. He’s going to have a big challenge now even walking without a limp moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭plumber77

Very hard to see him competing on the pgatour again. This injury combined with his back issues would make it hard for him to put in the range/gym needed to compete. Of course I would be delighted to be wrong. Greatest golfer I've ever seen and so lucky to have grown up watching him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

AMKC wrote: »
    Who knows what caused it but having read the reports and seen pics you might be right that it was worse than his leg being flung around inside the car. There was an impact with a tree and it looks like the engine of the car was ripped out. Footwell may also have come in.

It'll be another miracle if he gets back to competing on the PGA tour after this. Things weren't looking that good for him even before this.

He doesn't have much luck with cars. Surprising that someone like him wouldn't employ full time drivers/bodyguards to go with him everywhere, I've know people with much less wealth than him who did so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Dashcam of the road he was driving on from the other side of the road no accident shown. It gives an idea of what the road is like to drive on.

The sign he hit from the other side of the road. "Welcome to Rolling Hills Estates"
    153134225_289305712613744_8392985637943293554_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=afvM_g5wxosAX-9gKAF&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=d7d2dac992ded85fbd7d452ec04e11ea&oe=605BB456

Cars seem to pick speed heading north fast due to the slope. Signs there say to drive in low gear and the speed limit is 45mph. Speed of 80 plus mph are common and local say they need to replace brake pads often due to how much braking they need to do the speed down because of the steep slope. The car he was driving was a Genesis gv80 SUV provided by the organisers of the golf event.
    Genesis sponsored the event. This is why he was in a Genesis gv80 SUV courtesy car.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_GV80
    I hope he gets well soon.

Obviously nobody knows what happened yet but from experience when you get somebody with fractures at the top and bottom of the tib or fib it’s generally not caused by rolling over or side impacts. If he saw the impact coming head on, whether that be with a tree or the bonnet hitting the ground etc(nobody knows) the instinctive reaction is to lock on the break. With the leg locked then the impact runs up through the bones from foot to hip and that causes the multiple fractures in the same bone.
    It’s normal procedure then to scrape out the bone marrow and run a rod up thru the middle of the bone to help it fuse back together with lots of fractures in the one bone.
    I’m not saying that’s what happened as nobody knows yet but that is a very common injury when there’s front impact that people see coming before the impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Badger2009

Whatever did happen hope he comes out of it OK.

As mentioned by someone else, I can’t understand why he wouldn’t have a driver especially when doing corporate stuff like this. I would have thought at his level you wouldn’t be worrying about a 1hr commute early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭chalky_ie

Why do you say that right leg would be better than left for a right handed golfer? The right leg would be worse in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

conor-w wrote: »
    Why do you say that right leg would be better than left for a right handed golfer? The right leg would be worse in my eyes.

Presumably tied to where the weight is on most swings. On the left side predominantly for short game, and all the weight transfer would be to the left side in your down swing on fill swings?

Advertisement