Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Will they drug test him?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Is he allowed use a cart?

No.

He played at the weekend as well at his local club with his caddy in tow. It looks like he is testing himself physically to see if he is able. I would imagine yesterday was the end of that and he will make a decision in the coming days whether to tee it up or not. He won't just tee it up to shoot two 76's if that is how he is playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

No 1 he wont be competitive! not a chance and No 2 it be a farce as the camera's be all over him getting out of his car, every shot even if he is way down the field. Instead of showing the rest of the field especially those in contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I seriously doubt Tiger would tog out for ceremony. If he does play he'll believe he can compete. How it pans out is another story. He won't know for sure until he's tried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

I can't see him playing four rounds on that hilly course yet, i'd say he's there for the champions dinner and more practice/rehab. Hopefully be good for next year or tournaments later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

That’s the killer with the whole lot of this, 100% a circus, Woods in his prime the best player of his generation by a mile and possibly the best of all time, but 46 year old broken down Tiger Woods, will still get the same coverage and it’s way over the top, no one will say the man is irresponsible and could have wiped himself or other people out in a crash, and he brought it on himself, it will be endless coverage of past glories, although he won the masters in 2019, so that really was the comeback, the most amazing thing about his career is that he didn’t win a major between 2008 and 2019, 11 years without a major after 14 in the previous 11 years, that’s probably just a statistical oddity, but people did think he would sail past Jack Nicklaus, and it didn’t happen, the best outcome for Tiger is that he wasn’t crippled or killed in the crash, because it wasn’t far off that outcome, and any talk of him being anywhere near competitive any more is just fantasy land wishful thinking, that won’t stop the usual suspects talking him up though

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Break80

I remember he pulled out a tournament a few years back.

The camera crew were broadcasting the empty parking spot wile some player had a make or break shot for the win on the course.

Mad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

But it's not mad - it's what the majority of viewers are interested in.

He's the only golfer that transcends the sport. Justin Thomas or Jordan Spieth could walk down the middle of Grafton st, would anyone recognise them or even care?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,070 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Yip, Tiger shanking a ball on his way to an 80 is far more interesting than Thomas/Spieth hitting a 180 yrd iron to 6”. No matter what Tiger does, he is box office and will increase viewership.

• Advertisement

Anyone who is a fan of golf wants to watch good golf, i really don't understand the whorship of him, greatest golfer probably but I don't want to see every **** he hits when he is 5 over same way I feel about any of the big names

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

I think your wrong he was box office! but new generation looks up to the Justin Thomas & Spieth's these days.. Yes he still pull obviously..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭bren2001

I am ready to drink in every shot of his over par 2 rounds.

Fair enough I just dont get it personally. Its one the biggest tournament of the year I wanna see best players who are playing the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,070 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

People want to watch it for the same reason they wanted to watch Ali long after his prime, why Utd fans still watch their team even though they are rubbish, why they watched and supported Schumacher even though he was never the same driver when he came out of retirement, some people/teams command attention just because of what they were, not what they are now. That’s why the TV channels/sponsors must be praying for Tiger to tee it up, more people will watch if he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭IAmTitleist

I'm in the 20-30 age bracket and nobody i know looks up to Thomas/Spieth...everyone's favourite is either Rory or Tiger.

When tiger plays viewing figures multiply it's a know fact so you're wrong, much like OSullivan in the snooker, you don't like him fair enough but millions do

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

I hate the coverage Woods get but he draws viewing figures and tv revenue hence we get to see him shoot 60 or 80 if he is first or last. That is the reality about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Pretty sure that the masters app last year had the capability to rewatch every shot hit, so if there's a bit of extra tiger hype, there's always a way to check in on how a shot was hit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭bren2001

Typically, I would be inclined to agree with you. Plenty of times I tune into the PGA broadcast and watch day 2 with the "featured" groups when full coverage has started. We end up seeing every shot from the likes of Rose or Brookes, who are out of the tournament at that point. It bugs me on a Sunday when Rory is out of the tournament and I see him knocking in a random 4 ft putt for par.

Saying all of that, Tigers return at the Masters is different. I am genuinely curious as to how he performs. He also is the needle in golf, sure he won the PIP without hitting a shot last year.

• Advertisement

Ah ya thats fair actually and I guess myself I'll be curious also, I'll always find with golf coverage they over do it for my tastes on everything.

I love the masters and just want to see as much as possible I guess and even though the app and website is fantastic, I do also like following on the TV.

Maybe I'm too hard to Please, but it's true what everyone said it's good for Golf to have him back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

We're talking about Tiger Woods here, I'd happily watch every shot he takes at this year's Masters, up to the point of it being clear he's not playing well or is clearly physically hindered in some way.

There's plenty here who'd like to see every shot of Harrington, Power or Lowry regardless of their position.

Harrington vs Tiger might be interesting. I think Tiger will probably shoot lower than Paddy.

Anyway I hope he tees it up and plays well, not expecting him to contend or win. Think he can make the cut and he'll certainly think so.

Great TV for me either way, far prefer to see any Tiger shot than lads shuffling astride their ball on the green before three putting from 15 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,152 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

If he does play, a Tiger cam would be perfect. Watch all his shots if you want, but allow the main broadcast go on like normal.

The possibility of him playing is great though, it'd be amazing to see it happen.

i really hope his son Charlie plays the par 3, the swing on that kid is unreal, future number 1 i have no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭CSWS101

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I'd say people like Rory (ie lads who imploded in sight of victory) would be delighted to see all the hype elsewhere.

Kids caddy in the Par 3 and if lucky get to hit 1 shot. Tiger normally doesn't play the Par 3 and I think Charlie may be a bit beyond that at this stage even.

i'm not sure what event you watch but they can hit as many as they like, they always do along with caddies, for the pro's that dont care what score they shoot, it's for family. Niall Horan even hit a few for mcilry and i'm pretty certain he's older than 12 or 13 year old Charlie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭CSWS101

The kid is 12 and isn't amongst the best in his age group in Florida. The amount of hype around him is far too much imo

Advertisement